• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've been (somewhat) out of the loop for a while now, but what's this regarding Nintendo putting copyright strikes for Super Mario RPG songs?
Two songs were copyright struck by Nintendo on Brawl BRSTMs 3's channel, Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss. It's really nothing to think too hard on. Youtube's algorithm is buggy as it is and likely flagged it under 'Nintendo' because of the music being from a Mario game. SMRPG is just one exception among many other Mario games, so it wouldn't surprise me.

tl;dr: Sorry, nothing.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Ah mk, much thanks for the info. Though if those two songs were the only ones claimed, I find it very odd how specific they are to what's potentially to come.

I do so very much love harmless tinfoil hat theories when it comes to this.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Guys, I texted so many people that my phone is now suggesting "Geno" after the word "No".

"Geno" is being followed by another suggestion- "costume."

"No Geno costume."

This is too funny.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Guys, I texted so many people that my phone is now suggesting "Geno" after the word "No".

"Geno" is being followed by another suggestion- "costume."

"No Geno costume."

This is too funny.
Your phone, too, is very hopeful for his arrival as a playable character. See? Even mindless electronics love Geno! :4pacman: Very popular guy!

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Remember, optimism is contagious but so is pessimism. How you choose to present yourself can affect others
All right, stop. They're no obligated to censor their opinions because you are affected by external stimuli to that extent. You need to take a good look inside yourself and sort out why it is someone expressing their own feelings, which have nothing to do with you, are affecting you so much that you scold them every time they speak out. We have a word for that kind of behavior and it's called bullying. Knock it off.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
All right, stop. They're no obligated to censor their opinions because you are affected by external stimuli to that extent. You need to take a good look inside yourself and sort out why it is someone expressing their own feelings, which have nothing to do with you, are affecting you so much that you scold them every time they speak out. We have a word for that kind of behavior and it's called bullying. Knock it off.
Hey, hey, it's okay. They weren't doing that. I misunderstood the post, too, but it's not that. He's not saying I presented myself poorly there. He was trying to make note of how the thread's climate has changed because of contagious pessimism dropping for a lot of contagious optimism. It was just poor wording.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Realism is one thing, but... I'm sorry, do you, like... ever post anything that isn't laced with pessimism? Like, even... once? I really don't mean this as an attack on your character, but I'm kinda baffled. If people are going to feel optimistic, they have the right to, and if they're going to feel low about his chances, the same applies. Of course we know it won't change anything. That isn't the point. It's the same both ways, too, in that relentless pessimism won't change Geno's fate. Stances aren't the problem, but how they're handled, aaaaaand...

I think you take the realism angle too far into the 'pessimism' angle. Some people in the thread like @EricTheGamerman and @GoodGrief741 bring up points and reasoning behind more pessimistic takes, but it's handled in terms of looking realistically at things. Pointless pessimism like this, basically amounting to, "What's the point? Nothing matters," is being a downer for no reason. I'm guilty of doing this before, too, but I'm doing my best to make strides, to consider everyone else in the thread and how my posts affect them. Realism is one thing; criticizing people for 'staying positive' because 'the future refuses to change' is another. If people are going to hold onto hope, I say let them. Endless posting with a bunch of moping isn't adding anything to the thread, instead taking away.

Apologies if this veers too much into being a jerk rather than being blunt, but it really has to be said. I understand feeling low about his chances, and like I said, you have every right to feel that way, but the difference is in how you carry yourself.
No, I don't. I just keep being negative in hope that I would be wrong. Every group needs a naysayer that says something won't happen so it can actually happen. If I'm wrong then that would be super great.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Hey, hey, it's okay. They weren't doing that. I misunderstood the post, too, but it's not that. He's not saying I presented myself poorly there. He was trying to make note of how the thread's climate has changed because of contagious pessimism dropping for a lot of contagious optimism. It was just poor wording.
****, I hope so. :( I just can't stand a bully.

*takes a deep breath*

Okay everybody, so, what's the plan now, just wait 'til EVO for a potential Geno reveal? When's that going to be?

D

Deleted member

****, I hope so. :( I just can't stand a bully.

*takes a deep breath*

Okay everybody, so, what's the plan now, just wait 'til EVO for a potential Geno reveal? When's that going to be?
We may have to check EVO just in case at the moment.

If nothing happens there, then we wait through the rest of the year for unexpected leaks or any news.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This aint it chief

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
EVO ends the 4th but if we look at K Rool's reveal, we could be waiting another 8 days, which doesn't fit the bill for Sabi's source.

So we're looking at sometime during EVO itself.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
No, I don't. I just keep being negative in hope that I would be wrong. Every group needs a naysayer that says something won't happen so it can actually happen. If I'm wrong then that would be super great.
If relentless optimism won't change anything, then the opposite won't change anything either. Your naysaying won't make Geno's chances any better or worse. It's just going to cause disruption.

If you want to keep it up, though, then that's all up to you... but just be aware of the consequences. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to keep causing a stir.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It really blows my mind that we literally had what was long viewed as the unrealistic best case scenario (other than a straight up reveal trailer for Geno) happen yesterday and people are still finding ways to view it as a bad thing or coming up with convoluted reasons as to how we may get **** on in the end. I’m now convinced that the only way people here would guaranteed react in a not glass half empty way about things is an official confirmation.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It really blows my mind that we literally had what was long viewed as the unrealistic best case scenario (other than a straight up reveal trailer for Geno) happen yesterday and people are still finding ways to view it as a bad thing or coming up with convoluted reasons as to how we may get **** on in the end. I’m now convinced that the only way people here would guaranteed react in a not glass half empty way about things is an official confirmation.
Lol, even then....

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I have very high doubts we'll see anything new at EVO this year, this still feels too early to have a new character reveal, especially since that means the wait for these characters will be EXTRA long.
Like I said before, wait for the October/November Nintendo Direct after Banjo is released...

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
If relentless optimism won't change anything, then the opposite won't change anything either. Your naysaying won't make Geno's chances any better or worse. It's just going to cause disruption.

If you want to keep it up, though, then that's all up to you... but just be aware of the consequences. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to keep causing a stir.
I really don't care about any consequences of being negative. Sure I may sound like an asshole, but it honestly doesn't matter what I say. So I rather keep my mindset of nothing is going to happen for any particular character in the DLC run. I believe in nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
"But Chocobo isn't back either and--"
No!
geno dab.gif

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
That said, if Geno DOES get announced at EVO I'm gonna scream very loud x)
He absoluely deserves it after all these years, just like K.Rool and Banjo

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
How many times did we give a bunch of options for how the Hero presentation could go ranging from best to worst case scenario? Option A (best case) was always the total absence of Geno from the video. It seemed like a long shot a lot of the time, but it really ****ing happened

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Geno makes it into Ultimate, I will cry over him like I cried over Banjo and Kazooie. You can be damn sure of that. There will be tears and celebration.

He's also the last most wanted I have standing, so I'd really be in true Smash nirvana. (Sure, I want Shadow, too, but I can at least enjoy him in other media everywhere, including new stuff. I can do without him.)

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I have very high doubts we'll see anything new at EVO this year, this still feels too early to have a new character reveal, especially since that means the wait for these characters will be EXTRA long.
Like I said before, wait for the October/November Nintendo Direct after Banjo is released...
Well, to be fair, Mewtwo during Smash 4 was just a model and we waited 4 months for Joker, who only had an animated trailer, so... it's still very much an option to reveal #4 at EVO.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Realism is one thing, but... I'm sorry, do you, like... ever post anything that isn't laced with pessimism? Like, even... once? I really don't mean this as an attack on your character, but I'm kinda baffled. If people are going to feel optimistic, they have the right to, and if they're going to feel low about his chances, the same applies. Of course we know it won't change anything. That isn't the point. It's the same both ways, too, in that relentless pessimism won't change Geno's fate. Stances aren't the problem, but how they're handled, aaaaaand...

I think you take the realism angle too far into the 'pessimism' angle. Some people in the thread like @EricTheGamerman and @GoodGrief741 bring up points and reasoning behind more pessimistic takes, but it's handled in terms of looking realistically at things. Pointless pessimism like this, basically amounting to, "What's the point? Nothing matters," is being a downer for no reason. I'm guilty of doing this before, too, but I'm doing my best to make strides, to consider everyone else in the thread and how my posts affect them. Realism is one thing; criticizing people for 'staying positive' because 'the future refuses to change' is another. If people are going to hold onto hope, I say let them. Endless posting with a bunch of moping isn't adding anything to the thread, instead taking away.

Apologies if this veers too much into being a jerk rather than being blunt, but it really has to be said. I understand feeling low about his chances, and like I said, you have every right to feel that way, but the difference is in how you carry yourself.
Not everyone will understand it but some people might argue that crashing and burning is better than never leaving the ground to begin with.

D

Deleted member

I mean seriously there was literally no reason for it to not come back as they already have the rights to Geno and everything yet his Mii Costume hasn't and probably won't? At the very least that's suspicious. I won't jump on the "Geno confirmed" train just yet and I sincerely hope none of you do as we've seen how that turns out (Shadow, Isaac and the entirety of the Grinch Hoax) but it is very suspicious. They had no reason not to bring it back and yet they didn't.

This mixed with all the other coincidences and suspicious activity surrounding Super Mario RPG I wouldn't count Geno out at all and I'd say he even has a 50/50 chance nowadays but I wouldn't jump to him being confirmed. It's definitely suspicious and I'm pretty sure something is going on unless they just decided a Spirit is enough for him which would be a little strange with how many fan requests are being fulfilled.

Again I doubt this means for sure Geno is in but we have at least a bit to go off of to call this at least suspicious and now that we're able to breath I say we can actually have a bit of hope as long as we still continue to hype responsibly. Have hope but if the worst case scenario happens let's not start a riot or make ourselves look like clowns.

MattX20

Smash Hero
EVO ends the 4th but if we look at K Rool's reveal, we could be waiting another 8 days, which doesn't fit the bill for Sabi's source.

So we're looking at sometime during EVO itself.
I'm inclined to agree with this statement. Sabi's source has often had his info proven within 3 weeks time, and it's already been about 2 and a half weeks since he posted the starling pic.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Hero is awesome, and no Mii Costume? Whoo! Hyped about that! Also, been seeing this Starling stuff. Super interesting. But, why is EVO the place we are looking at for a reveal? Is it not too soon? Feels like it, but I would welcome it with open arms.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
-The Discord follows up the starling picture with a picture of Geno-

'Yea......but WHAT does it MEAN?? Also, that writing under the picture. It says 'Geno is a playable character in Ultimate' and its signed by Sakurai. Is that code for something?'

D

Deleted member

Hey guys. Hero is awesome, and no Mii Costume? Whoo! Hyped about that! Also, been seeing this Starling stuff. Super interesting. But, why is EVO the place we are looking at for a reveal? Is it not too soon? Feels like it, but I would welcome it with open arms.
Well as you may know by now Sabi/PolarPanda's NoA source posted a picture of a Starling right? Well his hints and stuff (Which this was confirmed to be a hint) usually appears within at least a week and a half time-frame to apparently a three week time frame and he posted it on the 16/17th of this month so the hint would line up well with EVO.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
The Starling info basically "expires," if you will, by then, as the source never posts anything more then 3 weeks in advance.
At least that's my understanding.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, I personally am not placing any bets on EVO either, but that would be absolutely awesome if it happened. Welcome back to the thread, by the by! Here's hoping we get our star boy, especially since we both got busted hard over Shadow. Oof. Hang in there, fellow Shadowfriend!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This might sound strange to a lot of people on this board, but it's fine to have the benefit of the doubt.

If you don't think anything will happen at all, fair enough, you might be pleasantly surprised in the future. Just don't get on other people's case about it.

The group's actually kind of split. About half think it's Smash related and the other half are thinking Pokemon. I doubt it's Pokemon based on the timing and the fact that he seems really unhappy with the direction that Sword and Shield is going. He shared a seemingly random post from 4chan one day and commented something akin to "I wish more of this stupid game would leak." It was basically a sprawling list of Pokemon claims but we all kind of ignored it because I think everyone is either meh or projectile vomiting when it comes to Sword and Shield.

Also, if you all haven't noticed, Slender, Rummy, Sabi, and Psycho are part of the group too and I think that's everyone that's okay with having their participation in it known.
I've honestly been on the fence myself in regards to SwSh. New Pokémon seem good, but that region map practically screams "linear". The fact that it's supposed to be free-roaming is at odds with this. If SwSh is meant to be for hardcore players and Let's Go for beginners, they're just treating everyone like little kids and show out of touch they are at this point.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Not everyone will understand it but some people might argue that crashing and burning is better than never leaving the ground to begin with.
Reminds me of a quote, “hoping for something and losing it hurts more than never hoping for anything”. I feel that, but too much of one thing is bad, whether it’s hype or cynicism. A healthy dose of both leaves you with surprise, yet satisfaction, I think. It’s how I felt during Banjo speculation even with credible leakers. Can’t hurt to try and apply the same logic here I guess.

The fact that there’s a hint of anything at this point makes me think that it’s related to an existing game, though. Usually there aren’t any normal directs in July or August. It’s kind of a cooldown period from all the hype, but game specific announcements happen, and I’d put more faith into said announcement being about Smash based on the slate of preexisting games right now.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Starling info basically "expires," if you will, by then, as the source never posts anything more then 3 weeks in advance.
At least that's my understanding.
I wouldn't say that it expires; it's just that his hints have never been longer than 3 weeks out in advance. Most of what he's shared with us has actually come to fruition within 2 weeks, to be honest.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I really hope the Starling isn't Pokemon because those games are just..... NO! Unless maybe a Gen 4 remake comes but we will never get that sadly.
I have essentially washed my hands of the Pokemon series, but it would be super silly to not expect a Gen 4 remake Down the line. it's easy money for Game Freak, who want to keep this yearly release train going. If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that the Pokemon company will capitalize on every opportunity they get. and in about 15 years after the Gen 4 remake, I'd bet you're going to see a let's go Gen 4 remake.
In any case, I highly doubt the Starling is Pokemon related. playable Pokemon are only ever starters, legendaries, or merchandise Darlings, And the Starling Pokemon is none of these things.

EDIT: that reminds me, I really need a new Avatar

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say that it expires; it's just that his hints have never been longer than 3 weeks out in advance. Most of what he's shared with us has actually come to fruition within 2 weeks, to be honest.
You should ask him if whatever the starling hint was is coming true soon

MattX20

Smash Hero
Honestly, we could see something at EVO this year. Remember this is just a trailer for character #4 we're supposedly considering here and not a full Direct like what happened in August of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom