• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Im not sure why people still believe what reggie said

The guy claimed that we would only get unanticipated newcomers... then we got Banjo

First and second party wise, there's a few that tie us all together. Smash, obviously, along with Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, and Pokemon seem to be the ones everyone is on board with at least to some degree and regularly talks about. Third party wise, there's not a lot and I don't think he's ever openly expressed what he likes in that regard (aside from hating Bayo, Shantae, and, seemingly Kingdom Hearts although I could be misinterpreting that last one).
Is he aware of your unbridled love for geno?

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
With all this hype building up, if we get an announcement at EVO, the moment a single frame of Mario, Bowser, Peach, Rosalina, or any combination of them appears in the screen I'll begin shouting my head off.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is he aware of your unbridled love for geno?
7 of the 10 of us are big Geno fans, 1 guy just loves everything Square Enix, and the other 2 are okay with him. Aside from Banjo, I want to say he's probably the only character that most of us openly support for Smash. Beyond that, I think half of them are pulling for Crash but it's surprisingly not a discussion that we spend a lot of time on.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Im not sure why people still believe what reggie said

The guy claimed that we would only get unanticipated newcomers... then we got Banjo
Well, how many people do you know that were absolutely certain that Banjo was coming aside from insiders like Shinobi and those working on it? In that sense, you could still say that Banjo was unexpected.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
7 of the 10 of us are big Geno fans, 1 guy just loves everything Square Enix, and the other 2 are okay with him. Aside from Banjo, I want to say he's probably the only character that most of us openly support for Smash. Beyond that, I think half of them are pulling for Crash but it's surprisingly not a discussion that we spend a lot of time on.
Do these image leaks he makes have a set time to when they are released in tandem to when the thing will be announced? Should we expect something of this “Starling” soon?

Well, how many people do you know that were absolutely certain that Banjo was coming aside from insiders like Shinobi and those working on it? In that sense, you could still say that Banjo was unexpected.
Of course, but with fan-favorites like Ridley and K. Rool making it in, Banjo was highly speculated before and even after the Grinch leak

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
StarLight42 StarLight42 Usually about a week and a half to three weeks. For reference, he originally dropped the hint on July 14th but didn't tell us it was a hint until yesterday. I brought up the possibility that he was trolling us and I think that upset him (which makes me feel awful) because he immediately came in and said he wouldn't jerk us around like that.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, I just had the possibility posed to me that Geno's outfit could end up returning as part of the final set of Mii costumes a la the way Shadow and Isaac got demolished.

Boy, I hope that doesn't happen. I'm feelin' pretty optimistic, though. Cautiously so, but optimistic nonetheless.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
You know, I just had the possibility posed to me that Geno's outfit could end up returning as part of the final set of Mii costumes a la the way Shadow and Isaac got demolished.

Boy, I hope that doesn't happen. I'm feelin' pretty optimistic, though. Cautiously so, but optimistic nonetheless.
I sincerely hope they wouldn't jerk us around like that after the backlash from last time

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

Remember, optimism is contagious but so is pessimism. How you choose to present yourself can affect others

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I highly doubt they would do that. Would they categorize it as Mii Costumes greatest hits!? We gotta stay positive gang. NOW this feels like the Banjo Thread. We get an ounce of hope, but one bad thought brings us down.

There is a chance again. Hope remains!

EDIT: Ovaltine Ovaltine you know I would not attack. This is not an attack on you, girl. I am glad you brought it up, because who knows,maybe it could. I don't want you to think I ever would. We cool!

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Joker and Ridley are still my favorites, but it's undeniable that Hero is my best character by far. I was not expecting that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Could be worse, the Tails fans saw the Mii costume for him come back again when Joker's stuff got shown off, so they'll be stuck waiting for Smash 6 before he can get another chance.

D

Deleted member

I sort of doubt that will be the case just due to how much backlash that situation got. Isaac fans apparently called into Nintendo and complained about Isaac and Shadow also had backlash I don't know how much but those two had a ton of backlash.

If Hero was revealed before June around February or March I wouldn't bat an eye but I feel like the time-frame was far enough from each other to where they could edit it to go either way if Nintendo was planning to show Geno off as a Mii Costume later I could see them push it back to the Mii Costume trailer with Hero or vice-versa. I personally feel it would be them pushing it forward in this case but I don't know much about these sorts of things so I'm not sure.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Uh, yeah anything “can” happen. But that is a super unlikely scenario. Just doesn’t make sense with the way DLC is being released.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Remember, optimism is contagious but so is pessimism. How you choose to present yourself can affect others
I highly doubt they would do that. Would they categorize it as Mii Costumes greatest hits!? We gotta stay positive gang. NOW this feels like the Banjo Thread. We get an ounce of hope, but one bad thought brings us down.

I mean, I sincerely doubt they'd do that, too, but I had to get that out while it was stuck in my head. It'd be a really awful blow, so I don't think they'd do that, but it was a little, "Huh, but what if...?" moment.

Listen, I'm way more optimistic than I was before. Entertaining one notion that could possibly be a reality and saying that I still have a bright outlook on the situation was not intended to be a pessimistic point of view. If anything, I tried to communicate that I do not think things would get that bad. Apologies for the poor wording, but do understand that I've been trying to be more positive lately and just posed a scenario without falling into doomsday about it. I do not think that will happen, and frankly, I don't like feeling like I'm being policed for every little word I say (this isn't so much towards you two at all, but just a general thing).

I know I'd been pretty negative in the past, but come on now. Jumping down my throat every time I say something that isn't 100% sunshine and rainbows isn't cool either.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
StarLight42 StarLight42 Usually about a week and a half to three weeks. For reference, he originally dropped the hint on July 14th but didn't tell us it was a hint until yesterday. I brought up the possibility that he was trolling us and I think that upset him (which makes me feel awful) because he immediately came in and said he wouldn't jerk us around like that.
Pretty interesting he chooses to confirm the Starling as a hint to something on the day Geno’s mii costume was very noticeably absent from the presentation and then tops it off saying he wouldn’t jerk you guys around like that.

At this point with how much traction this hint has gained, having it not be Geno would sure seem like jerking y’all around.

The plot thickens

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Decided to organize a list of interesting things that have happened over the past few years regarding our boy. Sure, some could mean nothing. But as a combined list, this looks like more than mere coincidence to me. I’m probably even forgetting/missing some things.
Glad someone else has been keeping track of this stuff. I've been working on a timeline for our journey that starts all the way back in 1999, and you bring up some good dates to add. I'll probably end up sending it to you all here when it's said and done.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I know I'd been pretty negative in the past, but come on now. Jumping down my throat every time I say something that isn't 100% sunshine and rainbows isn't cool either.
Not jumping down your throat, I'm pointing out how good the thread has been the last couple of days

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pretty interesting he chooses to confirm the Starling as a hint to something on the day Geno’s mii costume was very noticeably absent from the presentation and then tops it off saying he wouldn’t jerk you guys around like that.

At this point with how much traction this hint has gained, having it not be Geno would sure seem like jerking y’all around.

The plot thickens
The group's actually kind of split. About half think it's Smash related and the other half are thinking Pokemon. I doubt it's Pokemon based on the timing and the fact that he seems really unhappy with the direction that Sword and Shield is going. He shared a seemingly random post from 4chan one day and commented something akin to "I wish more of this stupid game would leak." It was basically a sprawling list of Pokemon claims but we all kind of ignored it because I think everyone is either meh or projectile vomiting when it comes to Sword and Shield.

Also, if you all haven't noticed, Slender, Rummy, Sabi, and Psycho are part of the group too and I think that's everyone that's okay with having their participation in it known.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I mean, I sincerely doubt they'd do that, too, but I had to get that out while it was stuck in my head. It'd be a really awful blow, so I don't think they'd do that, but it was a little, "Huh, but what if...?" moment.

Listen, I'm way more optimistic than I was before. Entertaining one notion that could possibly be a reality and saying that I still have a bright outlook on the situation was not intended to be a pessimistic point of view. If anything, I tried to communicate that I do not think things would get that bad. Apologies for the poor wording, but do understand that I've been trying to be more positive lately and just posed a scenario without falling into doomsday about it. I do not think that will happen, and frankly, I don't like feeling like I'm being policed for every little word I say (this isn't so much towards you two at all, but just a general thing).

Looking back on my post, it certainly looks like a jab. I hope you know I would not ever make that my intent. My apologies for making it seem that way.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Not jumping down your throat, I'm pointing out how good the thread has been the last couple of days
Oof, okay, I misinterpreted what you were saying, but now I think I get it. Sorry for the mix-up!

Looking back on my post, it certainly looks like a jab. I hope you know I would not ever make that my intent. My apologies for making it seem that way.
Oh, nah, my dude, you're good. :) It's more like this is something I've been feeling for a while in the thread, and I guess something about this time made my irritation kinda spill out.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I hope he’s not jerking us around with the Geno speculation then, Lol

Firox

Smash Master
The group's actually kind of split. About half think it's Smash related and the other half are thinking Pokemon. I doubt it's Pokemon based on the timing and the fact that he seems really unhappy with the direction that Sword and Shield is going. He shared a seemingly random post from 4chan one day and commented something akin to "I wish more of this stupid game would leak." It was basically a sprawling list of Pokemon claims but we all kind of ignored it because I think everyone is either meh or projectile vomiting when it comes to Sword and Shield.

Also, if you all haven't noticed, Slender, Rummy, Sabi, and Psycho are part of the group too and I think that's everyone that's okay with having their participation in it known.
I have to agree with him that Sword and Shield is a raging dumpster fire. Aside from the lies and laziness on the part of Gamefreak, they literally killed everything I loved about the pokemon games and replaced it with completely uninspired garbage. No more triple battles, no more Mega evolutions, the breaking up of my teams that I had been refining for over a decade, and for WHAT? A lazy "supersizing" mechanic that deletes some of the best strategy from the game? You know that stall tactics like Endure/Protect/Endure etc. to wait out the dynamaxing is going to become mainstream and kill the momentum of the battles. Then top it all off with 3DS graphics that apparently were too taxing for them to fit in all the animations. Honestly, I couldn't have screwed up the franchise any worse if I'd tried.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

What's the benefit of staying positive for this? Everything is already made and decided on so it's not like being optimistic is going to change anything. A lot Banjo fans gave up hope when that 5ch leak was going around and only gain hope when a ResetEra admin said Banjo was in. Despite majority of the time they spent being pessimistic they still got their characters in regardless. It just doesn't matter if you remain optimistic or pessimistic, in fact you're more likely to get hurt if you're only optimistic and don't take in the consideration that it might not happen.

Also I see some people using Jon comment of his DLC prediction that he had insider info on Geno, but we got to take in consideration that Jon says they at GameXplain pride themselve in covering most legitimate leaks which is why they never discuss the Grinch Leak but they ended up doing the a full GameXplain Discussion video about the 5ch leak which end up fake. If Jon really knew that Geno was DLC then they wouldn't have discuss the possibility of a leak being true that didn't include Geno.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Considering Tails and Knuckles’ costumes returned with Joker, I think that if Geno was going to get disconfirmed via costume it would’ve happened yesterday. It’s really interesting that we got 6 costumes with Joker and only 4 with Hero. Could be a result of Square’s stinginess for sure, but it’s another one of those “hmm” moments that we’ve been getting recently, especially since Geno and Chocobo seemed like obvious analogues to Tails and Knuckles.

One other scenario that’s possible is that Geno’s spirit is it–no costume, fighter, etc. However, with the splash page and all the hype surrounding Geno’s costume in 4, I would be shocked If it didn’t return at all. Cautiously optimistic for sure, but something’s up in my opinion. Showcasing Chocobo yesterday would’ve made an upcoming Geno reveal too transparent. Including Geno and Chocobo was the obvious move, but it didn’t happen. Holding both costumes back is a deliberate move for better or worse. We don’t know why, and that’s both exciting and incredibly nerve wracking.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
What's the benefit of staying positive for this?
I dunno, maybe it's less boring than being pessimistic about it? If I'm wrong, then so what? I'm a well adjusted adult that can handle not being right about video game speculation.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, people say that they "highly doubt they'd jerk us around like that"

But...They did "jerk people around" before. Not intentionally I'm sure and I'm not going to pretend there's some malicious intent behind what Sakurai does, but still, it has happened where they waited too long to rip off the band-aid before.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I mean, people say that they "highly doubt they'd jerk us around like that"

But...They did "jerk people around" before. Not intentionally I'm sure and I'm not going to pretend there's some malicious intent behind what Sakurai does, but still, it has happened where they waited too long to rip off the band-aid before.
They’re referring to the Starling leaker, not Sakurai’s team itself

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
First and second party wise, there's a few that tie us all together. Smash, obviously, along with Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, and Pokemon seem to be the ones everyone is on board with at least to some degree and regularly talks about. Third party wise, there's not a lot and I don't think he's ever openly expressed what he likes in that regard (aside from hating Bayo, Shantae, and, seemingly Kingdom Hearts although I could be misinterpreting that last one).
It's interesting hearing that someone with an in at Nintendo would come out and name drop Bayo, KH and Shantae as things he despises. I am not sure how much stock I can put into him openly saying he doesn't like 'X Franchise'

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
A lot Banjo fans gave up hope when that 5ch leak was going around and only gain hope when a ResetEra admin said Banjo was in. Despite majority of the time they spent being pessimistic they still got their characters in regardless.
As someone who spent a freakish amount of time on the Banjo thread, I have to disagree. There were bouts of pessimism, sure, but we largely spent our time theory-crafting. Of course, we had an embarassing amount of evidence pointing to Banjo in the months before his announcement, which Geno doesn't have, but still.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What's the benefit of staying positive for this? Everything is already made and decided on so it's not like being optimistic is going to change anything. A lot Banjo fans gave up hope when that 5ch leak was going around and only gain hope when a ResetEra admin said Banjo was in. Despite majority of the time they spent being pessimistic they still got their characters in regardless. It just doesn't matter if you remain optimistic or pessimistic, in fact you're more likely to get hurt if you're only optimistic and don't take in the consideration that it might not happen.
Realism is one thing, but... I'm sorry, do you, like... ever post anything that isn't laced with pessimism? Like, even... once? I really don't mean this as an attack on your character, but I'm kinda baffled. If people are going to feel optimistic, they have the right to, and if they're going to feel low about his chances, the same applies. Of course we know it won't change anything. That isn't the point. It's the same both ways, too, in that relentless pessimism won't change Geno's fate. Stances aren't the problem, but how they're handled, aaaaaand...

I think you take the realism angle too far into the 'pessimism' angle. Some people in the thread like EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman and GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 bring up points and reasoning behind more pessimistic takes, but it's handled in terms of looking realistically at things. Pointless pessimism like this, basically amounting to, "What's the point? Nothing matters," is being a downer for no reason. I'm guilty of doing this before, too, but I'm doing my best to make strides, to consider everyone else in the thread and how my posts affect them. Realism is one thing; criticizing people for 'staying positive' because 'the future refuses to change' is another. If people are going to hold onto hope, I say let them. Endless posting with a bunch of moping isn't adding anything to the thread, instead taking away.

Apologies if this veers too much into being a jerk rather than being blunt, but it really has to be said. I understand feeling low about his chances, and like I said, you have every right to feel that way, but the difference is in how you carry yourself.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I really hope the Starling isn't Pokemon because those games are just..... NO! Unless maybe a Gen 4 remake comes but we will never get that sadly.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
I've been (somewhat) out of the loop for a while now, but what's this regarding Nintendo putting copyright strikes for Super Mario RPG songs?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I think one can be realistic and optimistic at the same time. Geno’s enduring support really has helped keep SMRPG alive after twenty long years of inertia from Square’s part. Geno may not make it into Ultimate, but group projects like Operation Starfall and individual efforts and excitement keep Geno in the overall discourse. Hell, somebody asked Phil Spencer directly on twitter about Banjo and here we are. All those little hints like Yo’ster Isle and Megasmilax, they’re small, but it’s Nintendo saying, “We haven’t forgotten.”

I don’t know what it’s going to take to push Geno and SMRPG to the next level, but I’m confident we’ll get there. Who knows, maybe we’re already there. I don’t blame anyone for feeling pessimistic. I’ve had my moments as well. That said, I think staying in that pessimistic place not only can become a self-fulfilling prophecy but also can just prevent you from just enjoying the ride. On the eve of Hero’s breakdown the other night there were a number of posts expressing how much fun it’s been just hanging out and chatting about Geno & SMRPG. I couldn’t agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom