• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Really, I don't think that we need people to keep our hype in check. At this stage we all know the chances are slim, yet we choose to believe anyway. Giving up is so passe'. Show me your passion, dammit!

I mean just look at the Banjo thread before and after he was revealed. The K. Rool thread. The Ridley thread. For years they were filled with hopeful optimism about the next smash game having their characters....and it payed off completely

Ultimate literally has resolved 3 of the 4 "never-evers", which were these 3, along with Geno. Id mention Isaac, but Isaac himself actually has a much different level of popularity compared to the other 4. Highly desired yes, but not enough to get on Nintendo's radar (hence why they were surprised by the backlash for him appearing as an Assist trophy). Guaranteed that if Isaac had a bigger vocal backing like the others, he woupd have been put into Ultimate, especially now of all times, where the vocal fans are truly getting their picks.

So now we have Geno. Geno is the only character out of the 4 (or 5 counting Isaac) that has been exclusively praised, consisteny mentioned, and given special attention in previous games. Hes been mentioned in interviews. Hes been mentioned on a wide variety of accounts. Yet....he has yet to show up.

- K. Rool and Ridley are first party, so they certainly were going to get in the base game, especially if DLC is 3rd party only.

- Banjo was a shock to many. Most people didnt think we'd get a character from a competitor, yet here we are.

- Pirahna Plant's advertisements have several cheeky SMRPG references.

- Sakurai, at least in the context of Smash 4, HAD the rights to use Geno and assets from him. If he managed to get Cloud back, Im sure he also managed to get Geno back.....

- Yet, his Mii costume is still missing. Joker included returning Sonic costumes from Sega among other things, so why did pack 2 not include Geno or Chocobo? The hopeful fan in me believes that they will be sold with another Square Enix character in the pack. It is a seriously odd move to hold back Geno a 2nd time as a Mii fighter.

Sakurai knows its not good enough. He KNOWS its not what fans want from the character. He KNOWS hes probably the biggest requested 3rd party character now, especially because Sakurai himself popularized the character even more after he was already popular in the Brawl polls.

Aka, the amount of things in Geno's favor are ridiculous at this point. I said the same thing about Banjo weeks before he was announced, save for being openly discussed by Sakurai as a possibility (in fact, it was the opposite back in the Melee days).

So, if Banjo can make it, so can Geno

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, I suppose that now we do the wait for EVO to see if the starling clue pointed to something there.
It will refer to Geno, but the connection will be crazy.

'Its a picture of a bird. That has 4 letters. Geno has 4 letters. Makes sense, right?'
'Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!'

D

Deleted member

Besides, we may also have that Starling clue made by Sabi in our side at the moment.

Also on a side note: kudos to the Ultimate Social thread for giving not a single like (besides Taylor F) to a screenshot I took a good time to prepare and make it look as good as possible... Just to then spam with likes a reply I got there joking about fake Ridley leaks while still giving none to me.

At this pace the people there are just making my choice of staying here way easier lol.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Besides, we may also have that Starling clue made by Sabi in our side at the moment.

Also on a side note: kudos to the Ultimate Social thread for giving not a single like (besides Taylor F) to a screenshot I took a good time to prepare and make it look as good as possible... Just to then spam with likes a reply I got there joking about fake Ridley leaks while still giving none to me.

At this pace the people there are just making my choice of staying here way easier lol.
Stay as long as you like. Pull up a chair.

D

Deleted member

E6561882-AFBF-4E09-B346-3A40D2903FDF.jpeg

Here's the screenshot I took btw.

It's basically Eight and Samus hunting down Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Looks like Eight is about to kick Samus like a soccer ball into Ridley.

Must be his new spell series: Kick, Kickle, Kakickle.
Samus is gonna morph ball right into Ridley's stomach and throw him far off the stage with the strength of the push givn by Eight.

Science.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Im imagining Sakurai pulling a Banjo with Geno, where people sort of lost hope with Banjo after Hero was announced because not alot of people expected 2 announcements.

Geno is probably the most requested character still missing from the game, yet its understandable that a large part of the casual fanbase doesnt even know who he is, even less so than Banjo. I more expect Geno to be a true bonus character as a result. Imagine the direct that reveals the 5th character, its not Geno, HOWEVER, the direct hints at a little more content. By the end, BAM, Geno. Not that he doesnt deserve to be the 4th or 5th slots, I just assume Geno is such an anomoly that Sakurai will manage to squeeze in the character at the end of everything, especially how he revealed the Geno costume last game and given his oddly, casually obscure yet widely popular following in the smash fanbase.

Honestly he's the end-all, be-all character. The one Sakurai keeps making curious remarks and apologies about. I sincerely think the plan is there. Hell, Sakurai knew about the "Banjo is just a copy of Duck Hunt" memes and incorporated it in a trailer lmao, he certainly knows about what this means to people.

Granted, I'd love him to be one of the final 2 characters, but I more expect him to be a surprise after the "end" simply due to everything I just mentioned. Dunno why, just a feeling, just like how alot of people had a feeling Banjo was coming

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, Sakurai is someone who I think tends to play a bit with people in a good way.

One example was the whole thing regarding Meta Knight's announcement in Smash 4.

I could see him pulling something similar with Geno sometime in the future.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So I had a greedy moment.

EVO comes around, the tournament is over and a Nintendo rep wants to show a video. Its Fighter Pass character 4 and we see the tagline:

'Geno Wishes to Join!'

Then some gameplay is shown, then cut back to the CGI trailer where Geno, Peach, Mario and Bowser are out numbered by the fighter clones. Then a sweeping lightning attack takes them all out. The group looks up and we see:

'Mallow Thunders In!'

Then right at the end, a blue Yoshi pops out of an egg, followed by

'Boshi Joins the Battle!'

Then the presenter says how Geno is the FP character, with Ultimate Crossing over with MarioRPG, and instead of Mii Costumes, Geno comes with bonus fighter Mallow and echo fighter Boshi (for a limited time then its at cost like Plant's release). Then the music list are 2 songs from various Mario RPGS (Forest Maze and Armored Boss, 2 songs from Paper Mario, 2 from TTYD, 2 from Bowser's Inside Story, etc), all being played on the Vista Hill/Bowser Castle stage.

And the Geno amiibo comes out the same day as Geno the fighter.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
What was the thing that was supposed to make people extra salty in this presentation? I mean the way Hero has been implemented has rattled few competitive players, but overall it seems nothing's considered overly egregious by the majority of people.

Especially on the backs of some of the past presentations, this one was received pretty well.
That ended up being speculation on the part of the insider. Was explained a few weeks back I believe. He didn’t know anything about the next presentation at the time, but was just making the statement that whatever comes next will probably cause salt

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

While I don't watch Blocked Content's videos because I see him as LaxChris 2.0, I thought this episode of Leak Speak was pretty good and informative. I saw the video on my recommendations and I only clicked it because of the starling.

Yeah, Sakurai is someone who I think tends to play a bit with people in a good way.

One example was the whole thing regarding Meta Knight's announcement in Smash 4.

I could see him pulling something similar with Geno sometime in the future.
Bro, you wouldn't believe how nervous I was when they showed off a photo of Meta Knight's Mii costume on the Smash site before he was officially announced back in Smash 4. I was afraid they were going to cut him, especially due to the fact that the Brawl version of him was the most broken and op character in Smash history.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh god oh **** is it happening
Huh? Where??
Here:
Oh hey, you're right it went from E 10+ to this:
View attachment 233057
I'm honestly not too familiar with how ratings work though, but interesting non-the-less.
Wonder what caused it to be changed.

EDIT: After thinking about it I think it might be because of something like Kamikazee? Either way I doubt it's because of something in advance, that just seems weird to me.
Apparently according to the Shantae thread it's been making the rounds.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They almost definitely put the T rating in the latest Smash presentation because it was heavily advertising Dragon Quest 11 S, which is rated T.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
They almost definitely put the T rating in the latest Smash presentation because it was heavily advertising Dragon Quest 11 S, which is rated T.
That makes sense. Plus, why would they bump up the rating now for a speculation M-rating character that still has another character coming before them (Banjo)? The DLC list was confirmed at once, so if they had to a ratings change because of a higher rating character like Doom Guy, they would have done so after Joker was added.

Of course, the higher rating could be due to a potential Geno addition since he doesn't wear pants.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I feel bad for anyone who believed the Grinch Leak. There was just no way it could ever be true and I warned everyone I talked to about it. Can't say you can really hold a grudge against Sakurai for someone's elaborate prank. Might want to properly redirect your angst about to to the person who tricked you rather than the man who actually breaks himself over delivering us a quality game.

Also, we don't need anyone to remind us about the negatives: as Geno fans, we wake up every day knowing all the pros and cons around his chances. You constantly throwing around pessimistic posts isn't reminding anyone of anything other than reading what you post is a downer. You can continue to do so, by all means, but then you will continue to receive what you have been. I'm not sure if you noticed, but your constantly slew of pessimism really isn't shared by many here. I guess if you feel like you are championing the dark side of the Yin and Yang than keep it up I suppose. Just don't expect anything to really change.

As for your retort, it doesn't really apply: I have no attachment to Hero or Joker and I don't currently own Ultimate or a Switch. I can't give my personal opinion on whether I like them or not, but I can tell you they are very high in quality. Unlike SOME companies that work with Nintendo, Sora Ltd and Sakurai never skimp out when it comes to quality (the only few times we've seen it happen is when something was sacrificed for the quality of another feature, or when Sakurai sacrificed something of himself to get it done). Just because YOU don't like it because of your rather strange levels of pessimism doesn't mean it's unbalanced or broken or of bad or low quality: it means you don't like it.

I literally just showed you how you were wrong about something about Hero: this means you don't know everything there is to know about him. Apparently some people have found spells int he Command Menu that Sakurai didn't show off (not sure how true this is) and the character hasn;t even had 12 hours of lab time by professionals yet, so I'd say maybe you should sit tight on your judgement until Hero has some breathing room and then maybe do some research and then come back with an informed opinion.
Bruh, I went into that November Direct with the view that there was a good chance that the Grinch Leak was fake. I saw Incineroar and was a little disappointed mostly because they saved him as the last fighter, but I said to myself "It's okay, all my other favorites might be DLC"... and then Shadow got killed, Isaac wind up dead, the Black Knight Echo Fighter that I hope could happen got crushed, the ARMS series is screwed out of Smash Bros, and Chibi-Robo got skinned as a Mii Fighter. I was left with only one character that I hope for that could get in, then Sakurai announced DLC and delivered the final blow with a god awful Rex Mii Fighter Costume. And to top everything off, with every single character I wanted to see in Smash Bros six feet under Sakurai decided to put Piranha Plant over their graves as the newest fighter. I wasn't disappointed because of the Grinch Leak, had that leak not exist I would still be hurt BADLY because Sakurai thought that entire layout was good idea.

Also you don't own a Switch or play Smash Bros Ultimate, so don't freaking lecture me that I'm wrong about the Hero's command list. I saw that Zero video and that doesn't solve anything! You can somewhat jump and use the command list? It's super freaking limited and requires you to pick a spell on the fly because of how small that movement window, that would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that every single spell is random so you really can't choose the spell you want to use with that movement option that you said is there. Hell, good chance that doing that you might accidentally choose the self destruct move seeing how quick you need to choose a spell. My complaints about that command list are valid.

And seeing how you don't read crap and then lecture me about how long my text are I will state it right here right now, I enjoy playing as The Hero. Just because I had my complaints doesn't mean I hate the character, but seeing the way you react when you see someone issue a complaint that means that absolutely hate it and trying to tear down Sakurai's hard work with a &(#$@ criticism. If I take the time to read over your annoying post then take the time to read over my annoying post before replying back to say how terrible I am.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I thought DLC isn't rated by rating agencies? I know the ESRB doesn't. Has that been changed?

Wait I'm thinking about online experiences aren't I.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The rating comes from Sakurai’s Hero presentation.

It says E10+ - T because Dragon Quest is rated T and the games got advertised in the video. Ultimate is still E10+ as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Bruh, I went into that November Direct with the view that there was a good chance that the Grinch Leak was fake. I saw Incineroar and was a little disappointed mostly because they saved him as the last fighter, but I said to myself "It's okay, all my other favorites might be DLC"... and then Shadow got killed, Isaac wind up dead, the Black Knight Echo Fighter that I hope could happen got crushed, the ARMS series is screwed out of Smash Bros, and Chibi-Robo got skinned as a Mii Fighter. I was left with only one character that I hope for that could get in, then Sakurai announced DLC and delivered the final blow with a god awful Rex Mii Fighter Costume. And to top everything off, with every single character I wanted to see in Smash Bros six feet under Sakurai decided to put Piranha Plant over their graves as the newest fighter. I wasn't disappointed because of the Grinch Leak, had that leak not exist I would still be hurt BADLY because Sakurai thought that entire layout was good idea.

Also you don't own a Switch or play Smash Bros Ultimate, so don't freaking lecture me that I'm wrong about the Hero's command list. I saw that Zero video and that doesn't solve anything! You can somewhat jump and use the command list? It's super freaking limited and requires you to pick a spell on the fly because of how small that movement window, that would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that every single spell is random so you really can't choose the spell you want to use with that movement option that you said is there. Hell, good chance that doing that you might accidentally choose the self destruct move seeing how quick you need to choose a spell. My complaints about that command list are valid.

And seeing how you don't read crap and then lecture me about how long my text are I will state it right here right now, I enjoy playing as The Hero. Just because I had my complaints doesn't mean I hate the character, but seeing the way you react when you see someone issue a complaint that means that absolutely hate it and trying to tear down Sakurai's hard work with a &(#$@ criticism. If I take the time to read over your annoying post then take the time to read over my annoying post before replying back to say how terrible I am.

It's okay, my man; this is a free internet (or at least it's supposed to be) and you have the right to feel however it is you want to feel. Don't sweat people being assholes.

That being said, the lack of a Geno Mii costume yesterday is probably one of the better signs we've had all year -- that basically means Geno either made DLC or we're getting nothing at all. And given the fact that Nintendo and Square are aware of how popular Geno is given his popularity is the only reason we even got the costume back in 4 in the first place, I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll be left with nothing except a Spirit.

Unless, like, the Geno costume comes with the 4th or 5th DLC fighter. Or there's some other consideration that completely went over my head.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The rating comes from Sakurai’s Hero presentation.

It says E10+ - T because Dragon Quest is rated T and the games got advertised in the video. Ultimate is still E10+ as far as I can tell.
The most bleeding weird reason imaginable. Not anything that's particularly offensive, no, but just because a recent game that's coming related to it happens to have a higher rating.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I thought DLC isn't rated by rating agencies? I know the ESRB doesn't. Has that been changed?

Wait I'm thinking about online experiences aren't I.
I don't there was ever a time where DLC increased the ESRB rating of a game, because if that was the case that would be really weird since that would mean they either have to make all new cases for Smash Bros Ultimate that says Rated T instead of E10+. I know it's not that big of a jump from E10 to T, but would be weird to buy a game and had it become something else through DLC.

Plus I believe that Doomguy can work in an E10+ game seeing how Joker is running around with a gun and a good majority of Doomguys' weapons are all futuristic & not realistic (except for the shot gun). All they got to do is just remove the blood.

It's okay, my man; this is a free internet (or at least it's supposed to be) and you have the right to feel however it is you want to feel. Don't sweat people being ********.

That being said, the lack of a Geno Mii costume yesterday is probably one of the better signs we've had all year -- that basically means Geno either made DLC or we're getting nothing at all. And given the fact that Nintendo and Square are aware of how popular Geno is given his popularity is the only reason we even got the costume back in 4 in the first place, I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll be left with nothing except a Spirit.

Unless, like, the Geno costume comes with the 4th or 5th DLC fighter. Or there's some other consideration that completely went over my head.
I'll agree that Geno Mii Costume being gone is a good sign, but nothing is concrete just yet. I think with how much people complained about characters being turned into Assist Trophies & Mii Costumes Sakurai & his team might have finally got the hint that people don't like their character being in like this. There were so many reaction video of people being upset when Rex Mii Costume was revealed. So it's possible that they don't want to repeat that again, especially when they want to promote Dragon Quest so they don't want anyone to be upset during the reveal.

There is a chance, but as we know Sakurai doesn't really give out patterns or hints of a character getting in, and sometimes the obvious choices don't end up happening (RIP Shadow & Isaac)

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking yet again about the European Starling tease, and how it could relate to a potential surprise reveal after EVO 2019's SSBU Grand Finals for a bonus, post-Fighter's Pass bonus character (Geno), I just thought of the following. EVO being the greatest fighting video game event, I remembered Jinx; master of the Monstro Town dojo in SMRPG.

Reveal Trailer

Inside a dim-lighted dojo. Ryu and Ken are sparring. After a few clashes, the camera then focuses on Mario and Bowser sparring. Ryu and Ken move to the opposite sides of the dojo. A small silhouette jumps in between Mario and Bowser, and both turn their attention to the new challenger. The small silhouette is none other than the Monstro Town dojo master, Jinx. Jinx makes quick work of Mario and Bowser. Suddenly, two fists come close to striking Jinx. After dodging that close call, Jinx stares at the dojo entrance to see a familiar, cloaked silhouette. The silhouette dashes into the dojo, engaging in combat with Jinx. Jinx, Mario, and Bowser, recognizing the new challenger, all cast a joyful grin as they resume a hearty training session.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
ForsakenM ForsakenM Are you able to determine when your playlist got taken down? This could be important.

EDIT: Sorry not the playlist, but the SMRPG track

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If Geno was part of an upcoming DLC, what Mii Costumes could you see getting in with him?

I’d say
-Geno (gunner)
-Mallow (brawler)
-Chocobo
-Moogle
-Black Mage

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think also the reason the Joker video had the E10+ rating only despite P5 being rated M, was because P5R currently isn’t coming to switch and thus the game itself wasn’t being promoted, unlike how the Hero stream promoted DQ XI S, hence the “E10+ to T”.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
If Geno was part of an upcoming DLC, what Mii Costumes could you see getting in with him?

I’d say
-Geno (gunner)
-Mallow (brawler)
-Chocobo
-Moogle
-Black Mage
Regardless of where Geno would be (Fighter's Pass or something outside of it), I would really want to see some SMRPG Mii Costumes come along.

- Geno (Gunner)
- Mallow (Swordfighter/Froggie Stick)
- Boomer (Swordfighter)
- Smithy Hat
- Johnny Jones Hat
- Chocobo Hat

Firox

Smash Master
That makes sense. Plus, why would they bump up the rating now for a speculation M-rating character that still has another character coming before them (Banjo)? The DLC list was confirmed at once, so if they had to a ratings change because of a higher rating character like Doom Guy, they would have done so after Joker was added.

Of course, the higher rating could be due to a potential Geno addition since he doesn't wear pants.
Guys, guys, the rating went up because of all the guns that Geno can wield. He's pretty hard core you know. Retractable knives in the wrists, bullets from his fingers, cannon in the elbow, arms detaching to punch people in the face. Sounds pretty M-rated to me.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Personally, I think it'd be cool to have one or more of the axem rangers appear as mii costumes, since they're one of the more popular villains, and they're roughly mii costume sized anyway

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind a Booster brawler outfit or a Johnny sword fighter. Jinx would also be great.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's possible that if Geno is character #4, Mallow will be a part of his stage ala the summons in Midgar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom