• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah...don’t make him like ganon, unless they gave him super armor on everything he’d basically be just as screwed as ganon currently is. Trust me, as a ganon main, he’s still not that great. Rush downs and campers are our nightmare. Sure we *can* theoretically take out many characters in just a few hits, but it requires our opponents to make some very blatant mistakes and/or us getting god-like reads on them, which the higher skilled opponents you face, the less and less those happen.

Sure ganon is far better than he was in brawl and 4, but just like those games once you learn the matchup and don’t blindly rush in, but patiently wait for that perfect opportunity, he really isn’t scary or too difficult to deal with.

So yeah what I’m getting at is if they made bk a character, and kept him super slow, he’d suffer all the same problems ganon does and probably be in the same situation where rushdowns and projectile campers give him hell.
You've got a good point. Slow heavies have a hard time. Alright then, how about we stay true to canon and have it where his armor is blessed by the goddess? Now, he obviously can't be impervious because that would be unfair, but what if his own unique gimmick was that ALL damage he takes is halved and most of his attacks have low range but insane super armor? Then, to deal with campers and rushdown, he has a dual counter than can reflect projectiles. Even being as slow as molasses in winter, I would think tools like that would give him enough edge to play with the big boys.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You've got a good point. Slow heavies have a hard time. Alright then, how about we stay true to canon and have it where his armor is blessed by the goddess? Now, he obviously can't be impervious because that would be unfair, but what if his own unique gimmick was that ALL damage he takes is halved and most of his attacks have low range but insane super armor? Then, to deal with campers and rushdown, he has a dual counter than can reflect projectiles. Even being as slow as molasses in winter, I would think tools like that would give him enough edge to play with the big boys.
Or giving him his trademark sword beam projectile as nuetral B instead of eruption. That would help greatly.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Deep within Sora Ltd's secret underground studio

Sakurai: Well, that about wraps it up. In a few hours you'll be up and ready to brawl Hero. Well, Heroes I suppose. The new mode is sure to knock their socks off. Heh, who am I kidding. That's not the true showstopper, right...

Geno?

*Geno character model, moveset sketches and codes are seen in countless sheets of paper strewn across the table*
**Two portable drives are labeled #4, and #5**

The plot thickens.

*Crossing Field by LiSA starts playing in the background*

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Keep in mind that Mii costumes don't necessarily deconfirm characters as mario, fox, etc have Mii costumes but yeah paid dlc Mii costume would not look good for our chances at all. Still even if he's not in this fighter pass you never know they may surprise us with more fighters though I would find it hard to believe more dlc fighters being from third parties since there are still plenty of first party characters they could add. I honestly think our chances are slim to none here but I'll always hold out hope but I'll also keep in mind what is realistic. I am going to spend the next few minutes figuring out a way to cross every single one of my fingers.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, if Geno gets deconfirmed, though, I'm really gonna miss this thread. I know it'll still be active and we'll still be around, hoping for future DLC or the next Smash to include our star boy, but stuff will really go quiet except for a select few of us. If he's confirmed, obviously it'll be a heck of a party in here, though.

Whatever the case, the endgame is drawing near. Thank you all for having me for the past eight or so months. It's been a heck of a ride, and I'll never stop making Geno content to share with you all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When I said execs are only meant to know, that doesn't mean they're impossible to leak, it's just if it does that it's through nontraditional channels. For example, Cloud was leaked by Tansut, who just took a friend's words at face value, a few hours beforehand but nobody believed him until after the fact. Ken, Inceniroar, and PP were all technically leaked by a play tester. There could be a legit leak out there and, if history has told us anything, it's probably from a super low level employee who was in the right place at the right time.

Meanwhile, there are a number secrets that Sakurai was able to keep totally leak free. K. Rool and Joker eluded everyone. Robin in Smash 4 and "Everyone is Here" in Ultimate was a surprise to even people in the know. When Sakurai's deadset on keeping something secret, he's pretty good at it. Again, keep in mind that Sabi's source has known all the contents of the Directs for the past year (aside from K. Rool, I believe) but doesn't know what's in this presentation; that's pretty telling, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

Well looks like we'll more than likely know Geno's fate this time tomorrow. I really hope we get the best outcome but I can't deny that it looks very bleak currently so I expect the worst being Geno's Mii Costume or even worse nothing at all throughout the entire DLC cycle no Mii Costume or Character.

Hope for the best expect the worst kind of deal and I can't deny that is what I think would be the right mindset for this is after all the fake leaks and missed opportunities. I do think it's a little suspicious that they're doing the video in this sort of format with Sakurai himself coming out for a livestream/video showcasing Hero but that could be just because he loves the series but what's even more suspicious is the very high encryption which may or may not mean something.

Never the less I expect the worst but I hope for the best like I'm sure we all do.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It's amazing that we crossed over 1100 pages before tomorrow's video. We have come so far
Sadly, that number increase will plummet after tomorrow's showcase, where we could be on the same page for days with no new replies. Traffic in this thread will be very low, practically non-existent. Speculation for Geno will be gone.

Which is the usual fate of a character speculation thread that gets promoted to a playable character social thread.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Man, if Geno gets deconfirmed, though, I'm really gonna miss this thread. I know it'll still be active and we'll still be around, hoping for future DLC or the next Smash to include our star boy, but stuff will really go quiet except for a select few of us. If he's confirmed, obviously it'll be a heck of a party in here, though.

Whatever the case, the endgame is drawing near. Thank you all for having me for the past eight or so months. It's been a heck of a ride, and I'll never stop making Geno content to share with you all.
To be fair I think it was pretty much assumed by a lot of people that if Erdrick/Hero got confirmed that'd be a deathblow to Geno's chances of getting in and the support around him. It's definetely what I was expecting. And after Hero was confirmed as a newcomer we got more activity in the thread and people coming out of the woodwork to say they had faith in Geno than we had received in months. A Geno costume reveal wouldn't be great, but I've seen enough people argue that it's not a Game Over scenario for him especially if we get another Fighter's Pass that I think the thread won't be dying off anytime soon even if the costume is revealed.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
When I said execs are only meant to know, that doesn't mean they're impossible to leak, it's just if it does that it's through nontraditional channels. For example, Cloud was leaked by Tansut, who just took a friend's words at face value, a few hours beforehand but nobody believed him until after the fact. Ken, Inceniroar, and PP were all technically leaked by a play tester. There could be a legit leak out there and, if history has told us anything, it's probably from a super low level employee who was in the right place at the right time.

Meanwhile, there are a number secrets that Sakurai was able to keep totally leak free. K. Rool and Joker eluded everyone. Robin in Smash 4 and "Everyone is Here" in Ultimate was a surprise to even people in the know. When Sakurai's deadset on keeping something secret, he's pretty good at it. Again, keep in mind that Sabi's source has known all the contents of the Directs for the past year (aside from K. Rool, I believe) but doesn't know what's in this presentation; that's pretty telling, in my opinion.
Sakurai is moving mountains to stop people from learning the big secret early that will be revealed tomorrow:

Him playing Dragon Quest for 20 minutes and not being very good at it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
To be fair I think it was pretty much assumed by a lot of people that if Erdrick/Hero got confirmed that'd be a deathblow to Geno's chances of getting in and the support around him. It's definetely what I was expecting. And after Hero was confirmed as a newcomer we got more activity in the thread and people coming out of the woodwork to say they had faith in Geno than we had received in months. A Geno costume reveal wouldn't be great, but I've seen enough people argue that it's not a Game Over scenario for him especially if we get another Fighter's Pass that I think the thread won't be dying off anytime soon even if the costume is revealed.
I hope not! I love y'all. It's nice to have a space where I can babble and speculate with other Geno fans without getting dogged for liking him. It's just... ultimate coziness. I mean, Isaac's thread is still going after the huge death knell of an assist trophy, so let's not keep our voices down after whatever happens tomorrow, aye?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Seems like every direct for a while now we say "we'll know Geno's fate after the video".

And we never do.

End our suffering PLEASE

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Just beat Super Mario RPG on my SNES Classic.
1564417215430.png

Hope I see you tomorrow buddy

D

Deleted member

Alas I would like to believe that the Mii Costume isn't a death sentence but I kind of do. Sure other characters are playable while having a Mii Costume but those were put in the game as Base instead of DLC I doubt Sakurai would do something like making people buy the Mii Costume only to get Geno later on cause some may view that as a scam and it would be a poor business decision.

There has never been a DLC character that also had a Mii Costume as DLC and I believe that's because they don't have plans for those characters so unless he gets in as individual DLC I doubt he'll get in and in that case I truly appreciate the last 8 months I've spent with you all and I loved every moment of it so thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to hang with you all. Thanks for everything.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
It almost feels like we have to learn his fate tomorrow. Well if we see mii costumes or not. If genos mii costume is there, then its doubtful that hes in. If it's not, then he kinda has to be in right? Lol.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I hope not! I love y'all. It's nice to have a space where I can babble and speculate with other Geno fans without getting dogged for liking him. It's just... ultimate coziness. I mean, Isaac's thread is still going after the huge death knell of an assist trophy, so let's not keep our voices down after whatever happens tomorrow, aye?
K Rool, Banjo and Ridley were seen as lost causes, forgetten to the times, locked away from gamers or treated as impractical and unplayable. Smash 'fans' repeatedly mocked those character fans, treated them as irrational, stubborn, in-denial or nostalgia-blind. They cheered at any news hurting those character's chances, becoming far more obsessed and annoying than the fanbases they were countering.

'X will never be playable in Smash ever. Get over it you idiot! ITS. NOT. HAPPENING!!'

They

Were

Quite incorrect.

All three are in BECAUSE fans kept going, because the characters were popular favorites and because the fans didn't give up. They missed the boat here and there, but they eventually made it. All they have to do is win once.

Fanbases cannot let the haters determine the roster. Don't let the haters dictate who can be added and shoot down potential ideas. They get what they want once fanbases give up.

And maybe it won't work for Smash, but fan demand can help bring their home series back to the spotlight.

Ridley is playable
K Rool is playable
Banjo is playable
Chrom hitched a ride with K Rool, owes him gas money

And Geno will be playable. A matter of 'when,' not 'if.'

Firox

Smash Master
Chrom knew he would get his chance one day, and he saw whatever opportunity he could. Can't say I blame the dude.

Po' boy needs to come up with them Kremkoins asap, though.
Ahhh Kremkoins. The universal currency. Oh wait, that's bananas.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/471660809/#471662045

I'm not gonna believe ****ing 4chan leaks, but imagine if this is somehow legit and this is where it happens
4Chan is a joke. I've only looked at 4Chan leaks a few times in the past and every time I saw them some people in the comments section would being calling the leaker the n word or gay. What a bunch of discriminating ********.

Black Knight is so unlikely that I'd take him even as an Ike echo, sure it's not ideal, but you gotta take what you can get, I felt the same way about Dark Samus (although animations made that turn out very well). It'd be difficult to make work though due to the crazy clipping issues his armor would present.
I didn't really wanted Black Knight but thought he would have been a nice Echo. I sure would have played him if he got in as a Echo.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Chrom knew he would get his chance one day, and he saw whatever opportunity he could. Can't say I blame the dude.

Po' boy needs to come up with them Kremkoins asap, though.
Chrom: -Grabs Smash ball- 'Anything can be change! Ae.....Z Pass!' -Destroys toll booth-

K Rool kicked him out, forcing Chrom to get an uber, the Echo Fighter of a Taxi cab.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Keep in mind that Mii costumes don't necessarily deconfirm characters as mario, fox, etc have Mii costumes but yeah paid dlc Mii costume would not look good for our chances at all. Still even if he's not in this fighter pass you never know they may surprise us with more fighters though I would find it hard to believe more dlc fighters being from third parties since there are still plenty of first party characters they could add. I honestly think our chances are slim to none here but I'll always hold out hope but I'll also keep in mind what is realistic. I am going to spend the next few minutes figuring out a way to cross every single one of my fingers.
But we never had a time where the Mii Costume came first and then the character gets in within the same game. If a Mii Costume of a character that haven't been a character gets in first means that there was no plan for that character to be part of the roster.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Remember, a Geno Mii costume reveal doesn't mean he's disconfirmed. At worst, it means he's not in this fighter pass. Who knows what the future holds for Ultimate DLC. He could very easily end up getting in through bonus DLC or a second fighter pass somewhere down the line. So let's not give up, even if the costume returns!

Firox

Smash Master
Ok, ppl, the direct has been confirmed to be 22 minutes long with Sakurai himself presenting. Chance of DLC #4 being unveiled has jumped to 90% as far as I"m concerned. I sincerely doubt they're going to spend nearly half an hour on Hero alone...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Even though I already got most of my most wants like K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie in the game, it's driving me nuts to know who else is in the Season Pass or if we are even getting another Season Pass. I'm inching to know if the Hype Train is going to end soon or if it's still going to go strong for another year or two. Daddy Sakurai, please give us a answer real soon.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Remember, a Geno Mii costume reveal doesn't mean he's disconfirmed. At worst, it means he's not in this fighter pass. Who knows what the future holds for Ultimate DLC. He could very easily end up getting in through bonus DLC or a second fighter pass somewhere down the line. So let's not give up, even if the costume returns!
But that means he's deconfirmed for the current Fighters Pass and everything else such as bonus fighters or another Fighters Pass is uncertain. So regardless Geno would be deconfirmed if that Mii Costume is shown, and seeing how close we are to the end of the current DLC they probably already made up their mind of whether to continue DLC or not, which seems more of a negative to Geno's chance if they get the Mii Costume out so late in the year.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I kind of feel that we're all getting our hopes up too high for this stream. I mean yeah, Directs usually have a ton of stuff to show off, but with this stream noted as being an unscripted video kind of gives me the impression that it'll just be a casual sort of "heyy i'm sakurai and welcome to my lets play of smesh bruss, i'll be playing through the hero campaign hit that subscribbledibble.". Also, Square is notoriously stingy with their content, and yeah we're getting 3 more protagonists as costumes, a stage, a good number of spirits and at least two Final Fantasy 7's worth of music, but all of that stuff (sans the alts) is kind of a pre-requisite for the Fighter's Pass, and maybe that's their limit? Maybe since costumes aren't part of that, they'll feel no need to add any more from their IPs? I dunno, something to think about I guess.

Also oh my god, there are so many people watching this thread right now.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
But that means he's deconfirmed for the current Fighters Pass and everything else such as bonus fighters or another Fighters Pass is uncertain. So regardless Geno would be deconfirmed if that Mii Costume is shown, and seeing how close we are to the end of the current DLC they probably already made up their mind of whether to continue DLC or not, which seems more of a negative to Geno's chance if they get the Mii Costume out so late in the year.
My point is that he could still get in later. Yeah, it wouldn't look good for the fighter pass, but we don't know that there isn't anything else coming so we can't say he's disconfirmed in general yet.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This thread is like a repeat. It's like a back and forth between

"hey we are getting our hopes up"
and
"Well there is a chance"

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sakurai going out of his way to emphasize that this isn’t a Nintendo Direct and that he’s debuting specifically Hero, so again, I’m seeing all the evidence pointing to nothing special tomorrow and we may even not get content beyond Hero’s related stuff (4.0 doesn’t actually have to come with a mode, people have just assumed that for ages). If he’s casually demoing Hero without any structure as has been implied by everything surrounding this event, I’d imagine it’s relatively easy to get to 22 minutes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1155669281268305920

There’s the Tweet about it not being anything like a Nintendo Direct.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The presentation may not even be 22 minutes, or it might be longer; someone said one of the kanjis used by the number (I don’t remember which) means “hour”, which makes sense since 10 PM in JST would be 9 AM in EST.

edit: oof :4greninja:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this stage, the only thing I expect in this livestream is a formal announcement for Hero's release. There's no turning back now that NOE managed to leak that.

Also, I posted a while back about how I wound up skipping two vacation days, so good news! I got the chance to ask for tomorrow off, so I'll be able to watch it live! :mybodyisreggie:

The presentation may not even be 22 minutes, or it might be longer; someone said one of the kanjis used by the number (I don’t remember which) means “hour”, which makes sense since 10 PM in JST would be 9 AM in EST.

edit: oof :4greninja:
There is such a thing as "approximately".

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Doesn't even have to do with that. The original Japanese Tweet doesn't even mention a timeframe, it's saying it airs on the 22:00 hour mark in Japan.
1564421529588.png

I'm not sure there's really a lot of room for interpretation to the length here

MattX20

Smash Hero
If it's just a casual video as Sakurai's tweet implies and just focused on the DQ heroes, chances are we won't be seeing the Mii Costumes or Home Run contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom