• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

MattX20

Smash Hero
Alright guys... So... It's time for me to be frank about some things. You all are my comrades so I figured I would be honest about tomorrow. The truth is... Nobody knows what's in the presentation. Apparently a lot of insiders knew it was going to happen but nobody knows what it will show. Here's some bullet points:

-Jon's otter posting was probably about this presentation.

-I don't know if the starling has anything to do with this presentation, something in the future or nothing at all.

-Even insiders who could practically quote Directs beforehand don't know what's in this presentation.

-VR Plant's analysis seems to be correct: the video is very heavily encrypted and Sakurai likely managed the creation of the video himself within the past couple of weeks.

What does this all mean? Whatever is in the video, Sakurai is dead set on keeping it a secret and probably only execs are actually meant to know what's in it. Here's a shorthand list on when Sakurai has done this in the past:

-Brawl's reveal
-Wii Fit's reveal
-Pac-Man's post E3 2015 Direct reveal
-Robin's reveal
-Cloud's reveal
-K. Rool's reveal
-Joker's reveal

That said, we could be in for a bombshell tomorrow but possibly not. Brace yourselves accordingly. As always, I'm proud to be part of this fanbase and just wanted you all to know that pretty much everyone is going into tomorrow blind. We're all in this together. Just one more day.
I've been preparing for this day for a long time. I knew that this video would be the final test of Geno's chances in Ultimate, and it could go either towards deconfirming him or potentially leaving the door open for the end of the Fighter Pass or as a bonus DLC character.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The way I see it, the presentation being 22 minutes long doesn't make a character reveal likely. But it does make it possible. If it were 15 minutes like Joker there would be no chance at all. So it definitely does help the chances.

AugustusB AugustusB oh, okay. Thanks! Hopefully he releases earlier in the day than Joker did.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't expect a character reveal tomorrow. However, if the presentation comes and goes, shows Mii costumes, and doesn't show Geno's, that could still be huge... or we'll get the Mii costume and have to move on towards another future.

Tomorrow at 6 AM PT/9 AM ET. Hang in there, y'all.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I've been out for several days with family and coming back into this is interesting to say the least. My initial take is that this is going to be sakurai gushing over some of his favorite games for 22 minutes while he plays around with hero in training/vs/classic. With as much content hero has to discuss and the history of the series he could drone on about the time fits fine. The nail being the lack of a script and off the cuff gameplay seems like the last way to give ANY other information. Much less a new character reveal. That being said it just doesn't add up according to fatman how ridiculously secretive it seems to be. If its just a chill stream where he wants to introduce his favorite characters to the world why is being treated with more sensitivity than the main directs it seems? And in a similar manner to other big reveals? This makes it seems like there is something big coming and after thinking about it awhile I think it can be reconciled by maybe the point being that whatever news would be revealed was something sakurai wanted to share with the fanbase personally. I think that scenario bodes well for geno given his treatment and the costume and the starling pic makes me hopeful since were out of things to realistically apply it to but how the source somehow discovered the big secret when it seems literally no one else even got the time of day seems like a stretch. Overall I'm not expecting anything but I'm still hopeful that if there isn't a plan for big news then it will tip the other way instead and stuff like the costumes wouldn't get announced either.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
That, and given the recent deleted Nintendo of Europe tweet, it appears the idea of the DQ heroes being a July release was indeed correct, as both it and season 10 of Fortnite release on the 31st.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Alright guys... So... It's time for me to be frank about some things. You all are my comrades so I figured I would be honest about tomorrow. The truth is... Nobody knows what's in the presentation. Apparently a lot of insiders knew it was going to happen but nobody knows what it will show. Here's some bullet points:

-Jon's otter posting was probably about this presentation.

-I don't know if the starling has anything to do with this presentation, something in the future or nothing at all.

-Even insiders who could practically quote Directs beforehand don't know what's in this presentation.

-VR Plant's analysis seems to be correct: the video is very heavily encrypted and Sakurai likely managed the creation of the video himself within the past couple of weeks.

What does this all mean? Whatever is in the video, Sakurai is dead set on keeping it a secret and probably only execs are actually meant to know what's in it. Here's a shorthand list on when Sakurai has done this in the past:

-Brawl's reveal
-Wii Fit's reveal
-Pac-Man's post E3 2015 Direct reveal
-Robin's reveal
-Cloud's reveal
-K. Rool's reveal
-Joker's reveal

That said, we could be in for a bombshell tomorrow but possibly not. Brace yourselves accordingly. As always, I'm proud to be part of this fanbase and just wanted you all to know that pretty much everyone is going into tomorrow blind. We're all in this together. Just one more day.
So what you're saying is. We need to look for morse code in his blinking and make note of the color of his chair?

But seriously I hope he handled this presentation himself because he has news he didn't want getting out.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
That, and given the recent deleted Nintendo of Europe tweet, it appears the idea of the DQ heroes being a July release was indeed correct, as both it and season 10 of Fortnite release on the 31st.
Should quiet down the daily “Guess I was right with MY (totally unique and special) prediction that Hero information won’t come until August” posters for now.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If Geno does get announced then I'll have all 5 of my most wanted. The only things that could make Ultimate better for me then are Black Knight and Ray MK III.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
If Geno does get announced then I'll have all 5 of my most wanted. The only things that could make Ultimate better for me then are Black Knight and Ray MK III.
While a playable robot would be ideal I'm honestly ok with the costume. If there was ever a never ever first party series for smash it would be CR. And I'm glad sakurai bias has let us even get this far.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Definitely looks like I was wrong on my August call for The Hero. Honestly don't care if he got release before or after EVO, I just stop caring about Smash Bros all together after November. I really doubt we're getting anything new or special from the stream tomorrow, just going to be The Hero, bad Mii Costumes, and Home-Run Contest.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Ill never understand why Black Knight wasn’t made an Ike echo. That would’ve been much more popular than some of the other echo choices. BK and Ike learned from the same teacher and their blades are Sister blades with the same stats.

In a theoretical echo pass down the line I’d be all in for BK

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Ill never understand why Black Knight wasn’t made an Ike echo. That would’ve been much more popular than some of the other echo choices. BK and Ike learned from the same teacher and their blades are Sister blades with the same stats.

Because he wasn't in Awakening that's why. :V

Firox

Smash Master
I don't expect a character reveal tomorrow. However, if the presentation comes and goes, shows Mii costumes, and doesn't show Geno's, that could still be huge... or we'll get the Mii costume and have to move on towards another future.

Tomorrow at 6 AM PT/9 AM ET. Hang in there, y'all.
July 30th, huh? So it looks like Nintendo's slip up about Hero being in July turned out to be true...but just barely. I'm betting money that he's gonna release right after the direct. That said, the fact that it's actually a Smash Direct means we've got at least a 70% chance of having the DLC #4 reveal. I'll honestly be surprised if we don't see it.

Definitely looks like I was wrong on my August call for The Hero. Honestly don't care if he got release before or after EVO, I just stop caring about Smash Bros all together after November. I really doubt we're getting anything new or special from the stream tomorrow, just going to be The Hero, bad Mii Costumes, and Home-Run Contest.
Whoa, dude, slow down. I can't handle so much optimism all at once. ;)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
July 30th, huh? So it looks like Nintendo's slip up about Hero being in July turned out to be true...but just barely. I'm betting money that he's gonna release right after the direct. That said, the fact that it's actually a Smash Direct means we've got at least a 70% chance of having the DLC #4 reveal. I'll honestly be surprised if we don't see it.
Don’t get too cocky about DLC #4. It may not happen.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Did you see Black Knight's AT model? There's no way Ike's animations would fit to him.

That, and he was nowhere near as requested as Chrom.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Hero is releasing the day after as confirmed by a deleted NoE tweet. And it's not labeled as a smash direct, but it is labeled differently than Joker's video so who knows.

Firox

Smash Master
Don’t get too cocky about DLC #4. It may not happen.
Oh, I totally agree. It could very well not happen, but considering the time tables and the fact that Hero and Banjo were looking pretty far along even a month ago, it's not impossible. I'm just thinking that the probably of getting it is higher than not.

link2702

Smash Champion
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/471660809/#471662045

I'm not gonna believe ****ing 4chan leaks, but imagine if this is somehow legit and this is where it happens
Definitely fake.

From what Fatmanonice just said, Nintendo has kept this video extremely under wraps. So no one knows anything except sakurai and some old executive guys who don’t have any attachments to the characters and probably aren’t even gamers. So they wouldn’t bother leaking anything.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for it to happen, but I don’t even bother with trollchan leaks.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Again, Nintendo has been doing a very good job of slowly getting information more and more under control with Smash over the past year. Every character with base was practically known beforehand and then Piranha Plant/Joker managed to really shake things up. Then there was the issue with the leftover data that pointed towards Brave, which they then scrubbed and have made sure to not make the same mistakes again with.

So much has leaked with regards to Smash that there’s just a really solid chance Nintendo has gone into overdrive about concealing information period. It doesn’t have to be groundbreaking or important information, but they don’t want any of it getting out all the same. Sakurai doesn’t like leaks and tons have happened in the past year, so he’s probably doubled down on “security” and potentially found a way to communicate information that doesn’t allow for them. Again, doesn’t mean the information is anything special, but Sakurai wouldn’t want it getting out all the same.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Did you see Black Knight's AT model? There's no way Ike's animations would fit to him.

That, and he was nowhere near as requested as Chrom.
I’ll give you that Chrom was more popular even though he’s a ****/boring character.

But are you seriously arguing against his inclusion as an echo based off how he was designed as an AT? ATs are over the top nonsense most of the time and the AT wouldn’t have even existed if he was going to be playable.

Again, they have the same fighting style in PoR and RD with essentially the same sword. This matters more than how his assist trophy looks

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I’ll give you that Chrom was more popular even though he’s a ****/boring character.

But are you seriously arguing against his inclusion as an echo based off how he was designed as an AT? ATs are over the top nonsense most of the time and the AT wouldn’t have even existed if he was going to be playable.

Again, they have the same fighting style in PoR and RD with essentially the same sword. This matters more than how his assist trophy looks
I was actually a HUGE fan of Radiant Dawn, and I gotta say, Ike and BK don't really fight the same way at all. They do have pretty much the same sword, but don't you remember the animations from the original game? Black Knight/Zelgius would always just lumber over slowly and then hit like a freight train with a single blow....EXACTLY like the assist trophy. He was a heavy knight after all. While Ike may be one of the more brutish FE characters, he's still got leaps and bounds more agility than BK, flipping around with his Aether. That said, I think that if BK got into smash, he'd deserve to be a unique character rather than just an echo of Ike. He could be similar to Ganondorf, slow as hell but INSANELY powerful and heavy, literally killing light and medium characters in 4 hits or less. These kinds of traits would make him notably different from all the other FE characters. I'd also love it if some of his palette swaps were General Zelgius without the helmet too. Gotta love that hair!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I was actually a HUGE fan of Radiant Dawn, and I gotta say, Ike and BK don't really fight the same way at all. They do have pretty much the same sword, but don't you remember the animations from the original game? Black Knight/Zelgius would always just lumber over slowly and then hit like a freight train with a single blow....EXACTLY like the assist trophy. He was a heavy knight after all. While Ike may be one of the more brutish FE characters, he's still got leaps and bounds more agility than BK, flipping around with his Aether. That said, I think that if BK got into smash, he'd deserve to be a unique character rather than just an echo of Ike. He could be similar to Ganondorf, slow as hell but INSANELY powerful and heavy, literally killing light and medium characters in 4 hits or less. These kinds of traits would make him notably different from all the other FE characters. I'd also love it if some of his palette swaps were General Zelgius without the helmet too. Gotta love that hair!
They could just make him Brawl Ike with a different Up B

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I think you make him exactly that. A slower and even stronger Ike. When you see BK fight 99% of the time in PoR and RD, he literally cannot take damage, thus having no reason to be moving very quickly. But in the actual story canon they both learned swordplay from Greil and have the same sword, and that is much more of a leg to stand on than some of the other boring “basically just a color swap” echoes

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We're in the Geno topic and discussing this? You're all silly.

We know Geno would be a better Ike echo than Black Knight. :4pacman:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Where are you when Pokemon is a 3 day long topic of discussion? Or when people are discussing the possibilities of a Shonen Jump Fighter Pass?

link2702

Smash Champion
Yeah...don’t make him like ganon, unless they gave him super armor on everything he’d basically be just as screwed as ganon currently is. Trust me, as a ganon main, he’s still not that great. Rush downs and campers are our nightmare. Sure we *can* theoretically take out many characters in just a few hits, but it requires our opponents to make some very blatant mistakes and/or us getting god-like reads on them, which the higher skilled opponents you face, the less and less those happen.

Sure ganon is far better than he was in brawl and 4, but just like those games once you learn the matchup and don’t blindly rush in, but patiently wait for that perfect opportunity, he really isn’t scary or too difficult to deal with.

So yeah what I’m getting at is if they made bk a character, and kept him super slow, he’d suffer all the same problems ganon does and probably be in the same situation where rushdowns and projectile campers give him hell.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Where are you when Pokemon is a 3 day long topic of discussion? Or when people are discussing the possibilities of a Shonen Jump Fighter Pass?
Dude, it was just a lead-in to a joke about Geno being an echo, not an actual complaint rofl. Chillax.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Black Knight is so unlikely that I'd take him even as an Ike echo, sure it's not ideal, but you gotta take what you can get, I felt the same way about Dark Samus (although animations made that turn out very well). It'd be difficult to make work though due to the crazy clipping issues his armor would present.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

When Geno realizes the sure fire way to get into smash is to have a sword and different colored spiky hair.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anything that makes people such as Ovaltine or EarlTamm happy also makes me happy.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Anything that makes people such as Ovaltine or EarlTamm happy also makes me happy.
Thanks. I don't imagine making me happy is too hard though, as I tend to stay more on the positive and hopeful side of things when it comes to Smash.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I am very happy this presentation is early tomorrow morning. Waiting around for 5PM or later directs is rough

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's amazing that we crossed over 1100 pages before tomorrow's video. We have come so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom