• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
He means the original Japanese tweet. The 22 minute demo might be a mistranslation.

You know, I'm willing to bet that Nintendo can probably muster up the resources to translate Japanese to English

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so if I understand correctly, the Miis could be shadow-dropped completely without any prior warning on the 31st?

Though you still have to pity Sakurai, he does a presentation that takes less preparation time to minimize leaks ASAP, and a leak still managed to happen.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
He means the original Japanese tweet. The 22 minute demo might be a mistranslation.
The tweet has been up for like 16 hours. You really think they’d leave it up for this long if it was an error?

I swear we could get a Geno reveal video and people in this thread would think it was a mistake (i probably would)

Ovaltine

Smash Master

You know, I'm willing to bet that Nintendo can probably muster up the resources to translate Japanese to English
Dude, of course, but mistranslations happen? It's happened before. Nintendo may be a corporation with plenty of money, but even they aren't perfect. All it takes is one translator making one human mistake.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
My point is that he could still get in later. Yeah, it wouldn't look good for the fighter pass, but we don't know that there isn't anything else coming so we can't say he's disconfirmed in general yet.
I feel like that's the major problem with a lot of people when it comes to Smash Bros, people keep saying it something might happen so people shouldn't be upset when a character looks to be deconfirmed since there's a chance they could still get in. I saw that a lot around November when some at SourceGaming were saying "Sakurai never said Assist Trophies can't become Fighters through DLC" but I honestly think that people only say that so they can stop people from either complaining or being disappointed. There are characters that are never going to happen such as Assist Trophies & Mii Costume and trying to spin a view saying that something or another could happen isn't helping anyone. In fact it mostly hurts the characters chances even more since it's trying to stop people from feeling upset or disappointed. If we express that then could send the message to Sakurai of what they need to do for that character, but if we sit on our hands and just hope that something else might happen since we believe that Geno or whoever isn't fully deconfirmed then that character will not get any attention because Sakurai & Nintendo saw you guys were okay with the Mii Costume or Assist Trophy role for them so why should they do anything more?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Expert translators make mistakes. There have been issues with translation and Nintendo in the past, so this wouldn't be the first time. The people who know more about Japanese than myself are pointing out that the original Japanese text doesn't actually point to 22 minutes of presentation time is all.

The tweet has been up for like 16 hours. You really think they’d leave it up for this long if it was an error?

I swear we could get a Geno reveal video and people in this thread would think it was a mistake (i probably would)
CoroCoro was printed with the 108 stage count. Mistakes happen and language translation is finicky and difficult at the best of times. It's entirely possible they may have not noticed the mistake since it's just a small announcement Tweet or whoever in charge of Nintendo's Twitter might have other issues to attend to. It's not out of the realm of possibility for this to be a mistake when some people who know Japanese are implying exactly that.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Dude, of course, but mistranslations happen? It's happened before. Nintendo may be a corporation with plenty of money, but even they aren't perfect. All it takes is one translator making one human mistake.
And they've just been content with letting it sit there for 3/4 of a day with no correction? When has this happened before? When has Nintendo published details about a Nintendo presentation in Japanese only for the English translation to have a radically different translation? Every single thing Nintendo puts out is in a minimum of two languages. I don't believe for a single second that this is a mistranslation

Firox

Smash Master
Alright, if the video is only a "demo" with Sakurai basically running a treehouse of Hero gameplay, then yeah, I wouldn't expect to see ANY content besides Hero himself. That said, I would kinda find the lack of Mii costumes suspicious. Nintendo/Sakurai is probably aware of the fact that we would catch whether Geno's costume is missing, thus they could choose to either delay their unveiling or release them quietly online after the presentation to keep it on the DL. Should be interesting to see how they play it. If they end up not releasing any mii costumes with Hero at all, then that's a massive red flag.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, the WOL datamine is completely dismissed, on the assumption that none of the extra 10 slots will be used anyway, even though the Switch isn't on the brink of death like the Wii U was.

There's realistic expectations, and then there's just plain hoping for people to not get anything nice for like 10 years. Wait for anything new to be unveiled at Winter's gonna be long, I tell you what.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
And they've just been content with letting it sit there for 3/4 of a day with no correction? When has this happened before? When has Nintendo published details about a Nintendo presentation in Japanese only for the English translation to have a radically different translation? Every single thing Nintendo puts out is in a minimum of two languages. I don't believe for a single second that this is a mistranslation
Lots of stuff ends up translated very strangely and improperly between the two languages at Nintendo, hence some of the confusion that comes with these things and potential for error. I mean, we still don't know what to make of Sakurai saying Hero's spells will be random at this point. They just posted it last night and the working day for NOA (assuming it starts at 9:00 AM on PST) has only been going for a couple of hours.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Lots of stuff ends up translated very strangely and improperly between the two languages at Nintendo, hence some of the confusion that comes with these things and potential for error. I mean, we still don't know what to make of Sakurai saying Hero's spells will be random at this point. They just posted it last night and the working day for NOA (assuming it starts at 9:00 AM on PST) has only been going for a couple of hours.
1564422445237.png
well here's a Nintendo Treehouse employee retweeting it, probably because he helped translate it

This is the next level of contrarianism, where even Nintendo is wrong about their own presentations

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The presentation is just 22 mins of Sakurai staring into the camera without saying a word and never blinking.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Meanwhile, the WOL datamine is completely dismissed, on the assumption that none of the extra 10 slots will be used anyway, even though the Switch isn't on the brink of death like the Wii U was.

There's realistic expectations, and then there's just plain hoping for people to not get anything nice for like 10 years. Wait for anything new to be unveiled at Winter's gonna be long, I tell you what.
Why people act like Smash 4 was only on Wii U? When combined with very successful 3DS, it outsold Brawl. Smash 4 not getting years of DLC support just because Wii U being a commercial failure is a fan theory.

Also, we are getting nice things already. If 80 characters isn't enough to satisfy fans, nothing can.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do you figure that he'd get distracted by his waxing lyrical on DQ and end up talking longer than the allotted time he's been given?

Why people act like Smash 4 was only on Wii U? When combined with very successful 3DS, it outsold Brawl. Smash 4 not getting years of DLC support just because Wii U being a commercial failure is a fan theory.

Also, we are getting nice things already. If 80 characters isn't enough to satisfy fans, nothing can.
I'm just saying it's a bit quick to assume that all the stuff in the code will be unused when the current DLC cycle isn't finished yet. And one main reason Ultimate was started was presumably because Sak noticed that 4 was perceived as not entirely satisfactory in regards to character choices.

Besides, 3DS was beginning to get less support after the Wii U's death anyways...

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Didn't Sakurai say he didn't want exclusive characters per version? That was why we didn't get the Ice Climbers in Sm4sh, right?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That and those two ran into coding problems when it came to the 3DS. Also, the two versions format wasn't his idea in the first place.
In fact I like to think the two versions thing was the REAL reason 4 didn’t get more DLC - it’s a strain to make sure everything works for BOTH versions. Granted the Wii U failing didn’t help, but the split development was to me the main cause. I don’t think that will be the case with Ultimate.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
well here's a Nintendo Treehouse employee retweeting it, probably because he helped translate it

This is the next level of contrarianism, where even Nintendo is wrong about their own presentations
Which was retweeted at the same time that this post was published, so the possibility of a mistranslated announcement still exists. Again, I don't know the specific details of the Japanese characters being used and how to go about translating them, but what I've seen does seem like a compelling case for this being one of the issues here.

Stop trying to write this off and me in general as being a contrarian. I have voiced at multiple points that's not how I operate as a member of SmashBoards and people will back me up on that point. I just continue to call things as I see them and generally approach most stuff on SmashBoards the same way and I am pretty cosistent with my speculation and criticisms, though my opinions evolve on some things as people naturally do. I'll be there with people to celebrate appropriately when that something real and notable (in my opinion and judgment of course) materializes and gives me reason to be so.

Beyond that, people who know Japanese are bringing this to the table, and someone interested in translation and well aware of the difficulties of such work at the best of times, I'm able to recognize how a mistake could have easily been made. The people who know Japanese could also be making a mistake, but it's a real point to bring to the table all the same. Read the post from N3ON N3ON and it does make some sense with 22:00 referring to the time the presentation begins in Japan without a mention of minutes.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do think something significant will be shown tomorrow:

-It was announced on the weekend. Nintendo hardly ever does this. The only thing I remember in recent memory of them doing this was the August Smash Direct last year.

-Speaking of notice, this presentation was two days notice. Aside from E3, most are one. Again, last time this happened was the August Smash Direct last year.

-Like I said the other day, Nintendo almost never does presentations on the last week of the month.

-The black hole of knowledge. The most reliable Nintendo insiders knew about it weeks in advance but have no idea what's in it? That's super suspicious.

All of this and my previous reasons combined, I'm very hard pressed to believe that it's going to just be Sakurai derping around with Hero for a little over 20 minutes. Something's up...

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'm going to go off on yet another "reaching" thought here.

In a previous Smash Direct (SSBU), there was a part where Sakurai reminded us of the lore of the Super Smash Bros. series. Toys that in the realm of dreams engage in epic bouts, yet they long to reach the real world (or something along those lines). In addition to this, SSBU's single player campaign (World of Light) revolves around the concept of Spirits, which play a key role. And a few minutes ago, I saw this tweet from Nintendo NY about an online amiibo challenge.

https://twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/1155878657308708864

An event which for some reason reminded me of that scene back in SMRPG where Mario plays with Gaz using "action figures" (including Geno's).

These concepts of toys, spirits; what if from the very beginning, these have been hints Sakurai placed for us saying "Geno's coming"?

Ok, I'll be showing myself out now.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
So I know some Japanese, and the 22 is definitely referring to the start time of the presentation in Japan's timezone. Now that doesn't mean that the video can't also be 22 minutes long, but the tweet doesn't provide the length of the presentation.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
So I know some Japanese, and the 22 is definitely referring to the start time of the presentation in Japan's timezone. Now that doesn't mean that the video can't also be 22 minutes long, but the tweet doesn't provide the length of the presentation.
Oh my ****ing god. They would not leave this up for 18 hours on an account followed by 200,000 people if it was a mistake. This is the strangest hill i’ve ever seen anyone die on

BC047AA0-83D0-479B-9D3A-E6A3C2B9FA42.jpeg

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I feel like that's the major problem with a lot of people when it comes to Smash Bros, people keep saying it something might happen so people shouldn't be upset when a character looks to be deconfirmed since there's a chance they could still get in. I saw that a lot around November when some at SourceGaming were saying "Sakurai never said Assist Trophies can't become Fighters through DLC" but I honestly think that people only say that so they can stop people from either complaining or being disappointed. There are characters that are never going to happen such as Assist Trophies & Mii Costume and trying to spin a view saying that something or another could happen isn't helping anyone. In fact it mostly hurts the characters chances even more since it's trying to stop people from feeling upset or disappointed. If we express that then could send the message to Sakurai of what they need to do for that character, but if we sit on our hands and just hope that something else might happen since we believe that Geno or whoever isn't fully deconfirmed then that character will not get any attention because Sakurai & Nintendo saw you guys were okay with the Mii Costume or Assist Trophy role for them so why should they do anything more?
Just because you think a Mii costume disconfirms a character for all time doesn't mean everyone does. Disagree with my statement, sure. But don't get up on your moral high horse and claim I'm guilty of some kind of ethical issue by not agreeing with your opinion. If Geno gets in, it's not going to be because we threw a tantrum on Twitter. It's going to be because we kept supporting him even when things looked bad.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Do y'all think the presentation will be live, or pre-recorded?
It’ll probably be pre-recorded, just much more informal than an actual direct.

Or if it is a livestream, this is practice for Sakurai to become a Twitch streamer after DLC is done.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I would like to know if it's just going to be a video drop or if it'll be streamed. I know it's going to be pre-recorded, but so are Nintendo Directs.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well, maybe it will be 22 minutes.

Honestly I can't read it and I'm having trouble comparing the kanji to whatever I find on Google; I guess it's the one in the top-left, but I'm not sure how the entire thing is supposed to be read...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Oh my ****ing god. They would not leave this up for 18 hours on an account followed by 200,000 people if it was a mistake. This is the strangest hill i’ve ever seen anyone die on

View attachment 232836
It’s not really a strange hill to die on when the start time is all that’s referenced in the original Japanese Tweet, and Japanese should be considered the original/main language for all of Nintendo’s stuff.

As people have pointed out, it’s strange that the original post does not list the time, yet the translation lists a time that happens to have the exact same amount as the time of the presentation’s debut. And yes, companies can leave incorrect stuff up for a while until it’s noticed/they decide to rectify it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It’ll probably be pre-recorded, just much more informal than an actual direct.

Or if it is a livestream, this is practice for Sakurai to become a Twitch streamer after DLC is done.
"Hello everyone! This is Sakurai, and welcome to my livestream of Fortnite. Yes, I'm still alive."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Plus, my dad has a Master's in broadcasting so I know that doing things live (even on the radio), unscripted, and in one shot is incredibly stressful and hard, nevermind setting a hard time limit on it.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 232836
I'm referring to the Japanese tweet. I'm not saying that the presentation won't be 22 minutes, just that the 22 in the Japanese tweet was about the start time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom