• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ness discussion

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
To get things back on-track, does anyone use down smash?

I've started using it as a weird mix-up, people don't expect Ness to have that much range behind him that fast.

Unfortunately, bad hitbox and very laggy :/

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839

I've started using it as a weird mix-up, people don't expect Ness to have that much range behind him that fast.

I have been using it. Somtimes it sends them up depending the opponents falling speed. It has decent to very poor knockback. What you said about the lag. I whould use it in high percents due to the lag.

Uffe

Smash Hero

I've used d-smash a few times, but it's kind of hard to determine when to use it. I guess if you wanted to use PKT2 on purpose and have your opponent chase you, you could pull out a d-smash as something unexpected. I'm not sure how well it works in Melee compared to Brawl, though.

If anything, you should use your Yo-yo as an edge guard against opponents who don't have good recoveries, or those who are too low to recover correctly. It really messed up their return. It's a lame gimp, too. XD

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
I play this character quite a bit now. I think many low tier characters are extremely unexplored, and thus are imo either much better or possibly worse than we believe. Ness is one of the characters I believe is possibly much better than people think he is. I'm not sure how much super theory brothers is discussed in here, so I'm just throwing my ideas around. I have a "repository" (I guess) of Ness notes and stuff I've learned picking up the character. (An example of one of my notes is learning how to pkt2 straight on command.)I can share these things if you guys care for it so lmk please. :)

I plan on going Ness at the next tournament I go to. What's even more exciting is that I'm feeling pretty confident about it. People tend to get thrown off by Ness' DJC movement and as a result don't really know how spacing works against him and then they get hit a lot. lolol! Aside from that, I feel that even if/when they do learn the match up somewhere along in the set, I'll still be comfortable because Ness isn't a gimmick imo.

/rant over I'll be back

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
I was bored again and decided to make a gif of a frame perfect DJC Nair that actually hits.
Can you list, frame by frame, the actual inputs used for this? Also, are you L-canceling in this gif?

It would be great to have the frame-by-frame charts for the first hitbox frame of all his arials, with stats like hit frame and total time.

There might be more than one way to do these optimally, especially for the slower arials like dair. I think you can trade time between the jump > second jump with the time between second jump > arial, while changing the fast-fall timing.

Anyone want to test this before I get back from India?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Mofo, wherever you are, I know you don't me, but I know you, and I just wanted you to know that i'm a HUUUUGE fan... <3

Keep up the amazing work!, Man low tiers are sooooo fun!

=D

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
Of course I know you VMan, I'm a big fan of you too! Watching videos of you, Axe, and Taj keep my low-tier spirits up when they're down, hahah. Vudujin and I were talking about taking a trip down to you AZ guys so we could have a low-tier dojo going on.

leffen fake, vman real

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
MoFo we need to hang in real life more, let me know.

And MoFo your already one of the most frame perfect players I know lol.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Mofo you're really cool. I think I've given up on Ness though. Sorry man.

There was a recent match of me vs. a Bowser, but we were both really tired when it was played so it doesn't really count.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Can you list, frame by frame, the actual inputs used for this? Also, are you L-canceling in this gif?

It would be great to have the frame-by-frame charts for the first hitbox frame of all his arials, with stats like hit frame and total time.

There might be more than one way to do these optimally, especially for the slower arials like dair. I think you can trade time between the jump > second jump with the time between second jump > arial, while changing the fast-fall timing.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Ness_frames_11.6.05.txt

standardtoaster

Tubacabra

Yeah, I was L-cancelling in that gif. I don't think you can get a faster form of hitting with nair and landing, though. I'll get the inputs for it later today.

Edit:

Here are the inputs

Jumpstart
Jumpstart
Jumpstart
Jumpstart
Wait
Jump
Nair
Wait
Wait
Wait
Hitbox comes out
L cancel

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839

There was a recent match of me vs. a Bowser, but we were both really tired when it was played so it doesn't really count.
Why sob.
Ness is so good.

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the frame data toaster.

MoFo we need to hang in real life more, let me know.

And MoFo your already one of the most frame perfect players I know lol.
I'll be back home on March 11th, so hit me up after then.

No apology necessary. Me being really cool and you giving up on Ness are two completely unrelated things :cool:

Trolling aside, I understand where you're coming from. Ness is not for the feint of heart. Best of luck, and I hope you stick around the Ness boards as you make up about 20% of the population here.

I should have been more clear. It would be cool to have the frame data for executing all of Ness' arials in the same fashion as how standardtoater made his gif of nair: have the arial come out as soon as possible, while only hitting for one frame before the L-cancel.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I still hang around in this thread to discuss Ness, despite how little there is to discuss.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
What else can Ness do? We'd have to discuss some way he can a lot of priority in a short amount of time, and none of his moves or movement options allow him do that.

Top Bottom