• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ness discussion

Loket

Smash Cadet
The Ness forums doesnt seem to be that active.
Anyways, I think Ness is the most fun character in the game.
It looks like his DJC Nair OOS comes out faster than shffl nair OOS but is it really faster?
Also, what are the best Yoyo glitch setups?

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
No it's not faster, I actually think that it's at least 3 frames slower. You can initiate a nair the first frame off the ground when you shffl. With DJC, you not only have to double jump first, but you also have to wait a certain number of frames (I believe it may be 2 or 3) before the nair so that you don't autocancel it.

YYG Setups. I'm not a big fan of these. This is because anything that can set up a YYG usually means you could have done something else, and as cool as the YYG is, it's usually not the best option. There are plenty of exceptions, of course, and they come in two flavors:
1. Any punish situation where they are too far for anything else, and there's not enough time for anything else.
2. Prioritizing the YYG over another viable punish.

For #1 instances, this mostly happens in OOS situations, when they are too far for a grab, there's not enough time for an uair or f-air, and you decide to YYG instead of the more technically challenging forward-moving DJC nair. (To YYG OOS, press X and then cancel your jump startup with UP + A. For some reason, the YYG doesn't work when you use any C-stick + Z charge method.) There's other situations where a retreating stunned opponent is too far for a grab, too close for a running-a, not enough time for an aerial, and the only punish that you can do is a quick running upsmash.

For #2 instances, these are so rare and situational it's hard for me to think of an example. Maybe a vulnerable falco at low-mid percent near the ledge, who you think is DIing away. Then, stick a dair as you DJC ledge cancel edge hog, and react to his movements. Air dodge spikes are the best.

Loket

Smash Cadet
I never though of air dodging with jackets, thats pretty cool!
I havent tried yoyo glitch oos either.
Is it possible to yoyo glitch the shyguys on YS?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I never though of air dodging with jackets, thats pretty cool!
I havent tried yoyo glitch oos either.
Is it possible to yoyo glitch the shyguys on YS?
OMG, I can't believe I've never thought about that. If you can YYG Brinstar's "jelly" or Corneria's gun, I'm about to start cping with Ness. rofl

I can't get usmash to charge at all on Corneria's gun, but you can indeed YYG the jelly on Brinstar. Just bair the left one twice, then finish it off with the usmash (timed appropriately like you normally would). :D

I'm sure someone already knew this, but it's awesome that I'm still learning new stuff about this character.

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
You can YYG shyguys, however it's extremely difficult to first seek-out a shyguy candidate that is flying low enough, and then time the upsmash appropriately, all while having to worry about your opponent. What is cool about the shyguys is that you can forward throw an opponent into them, and the dead-weight hitstun keeps them there long enough to then combo them into something else.

Overall though, if you consider the recovery difficulties, as well as back throws that should have killed but they hit a shyguy, shyguys aren't Ness' friends.

Loket

Smash Cadet
I dont like YS becouse of shyguys, the ledge and randall, ness recovery is bad as it is lol.
I though of another Yoyo glitch thing.
When Hungrybox played armada, is it possible to catch the bombs, drop them on a platform and yoyo glitch them?

Loket

Smash Cadet
More questions,
How to approach an opponent with low %?
It feels like CC counters everything Ness has...

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'm unsure if i'm in the right/wrong thread.. but I'm sure Mofo knows.. but I'm a fan.. (I said this in a thread earlier Idk which one) but posting this here, because I think it's relevant... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1gZvJeCvzQ <---- Yeah Mofo's pretty good

Again, in AZ land, rules are a bit different (opposite)... Ness is the high tier here..

or if you want to see Mofo, playing likes of others also.. I believe this is the archive.. :)

Feat. KDJ, Tai, Zoso, MDZ, and.. well Mofo.. :p

http://twitch.tv/tichinde925

Can't wait to (hopefully get some Yoshi vs Ness matches with you Mofo) it's a fun MU.. only Ness I've played is Hbox, and wow are those fun matches..(We played like 20-30 at apex) haha <3 Hbox's Ness is VERY good also... :)

Love ya Mofo.. <3
Your #1 fan that plays a Dino.. :p

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
I'm flattered V3ctorMan <3 I'm a big fan of you and all the other low-tier heros out in AZ! I can't say I know the Yoshi/Ness matchup very well, but I'd be totally down to play. Are you coming to Zenith?

Also, I went ahead and made a list of times from yesterday's tourney stream for my matches:

http://www.twitch.tv/tichinde925/b/404003634

Mofo vs. HectoHertz (Round 1 Winners)
2:32:10
2:36:12

==========

http://www.twitch.tv/tichinde925/b/404056754

Mofo vs. Tai (Winners Semis)
24:55
29:34
31:16

Mofo Vs. KoreanDJ (Winners Finals)
43:45
47:02

Mofo vs. Tai (Losers Finals)
1:21:45
1:26:23
1:29:36
1:33:35
1:38:32
( Here's a cell phone recording of game 5 for room sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mrzJHFU010 )

Mofo vs. KoreanDJ (Grand Finals)
1:47:22
1:51:33
1:53:58

Drosss

Smash Rookie
Is DJC just tapping y twice really fast, and then doing an aerial?
Also, do you guys normally use A+ctrl stick, c-stick, or z+ctrl stick for aerials? (In general)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is DJC just tapping y twice really fast, and then doing an aerial?
Also, do you guys normally use A+ctrl stick, c-stick, or z+ctrl stick for aerials? (In general)

I generally use Y for both jumps and A for most DJC attacks (C-stick most DJC dairs), but definitely try out jumping with the control stick or attacking with Z/C-stick in different situations. Also make sure you practice varied timings in between your first jump, second jump, and attack.

Top Bottom