• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

r3d d09

Smash Master
Hey, I just stat paying ice climbers and have some questions (I didn't find the answer at the guide/ importants threads =x):

1 - What controller setup work best for ice climbers? tap jump on/off? tislt stick/smash stick? This kind of things

2 - When I was practicing ftrow to ftrow, sometimes I tilted the stick, the climber who was not grabing starts to move, but the other one don't throw the oponent. Why this happens? What am I doing wrong?
1.as far as i know, we all use default setup except some of us use an X or Y button as a grab button. Also i have tap jump on. I believe so does everyone else. But I could be wrong.

2. I have the same problem at times. it's due to it not having enough force on the Joystick to have nana or popo throw. Someone back me up on this? or give their insight.

Sky`

Smash Lord
^^ You have to tilt it quickly, but not so much that you run. If you Slowly start tilting, then one of them just walks. You have to quickly tilt, but don't slam it. It's a little difficult but you'll get it.

On another note, Is it true that the majority of EC players are picking up IC's?

Sky`

Smash Lord
When do I press shield during a CG to make Nana get back into place? Where do I input it?

And...
How do I keep Nana/popo pummeling while I smash?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
To get Nana to shield, hold your grab button while you're grabbing and she'll shield. Just let it go whenever you want her to turn around.

To charge a smash, hold Z and press the C-Stick in the direction you want to do the smash attack.

Sieguest

Smash Master
When do I press shield during a CG to make Nana get back into place? Where do I input it?

And...
How do I keep Nana/popo pummeling while I smash?
After Nana throws to me I hold the grab a little longer so that she shields...

nvm....I'm too slow....(lol)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
So a question. I hear people talking about pivot grabbing MK out of the tornado. Is it some precise timing, or is it something I'd be able to do without ever seeing it?

If the former, is there a video of it anywhere?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
u can also tilt dthrow but it's very hard to do in brawl

u can do it in melee check it out :p
I still do this in Brawl because I'm stubborn, although if I'm playing a character I can do alternating bthrows or bthrow > fthrow on, I'll usually opt to do one of those instead of risking messing up a dthrow.

Smoom77

Smash Master
For whoever asked what configuration to use, I like

Z=A
R=B
X=Grab
No-tapjump

The Z for attack helps with pivotwalking if you ever want to use it. I don't though.

r3d d09

Smash Master
um. claw. using right pointer finger to push the face buttons. middle finger for shield/z.
makes it so you don't have to move your thumb for c stick or face buttons.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Omg.
Is there like a Secret Trick to cGin falco? Like srsly, I'm going to punch a baby.

nvm, I got it.

But I has MOAR questions. :D

Actually, is Dthrow hard for anybody else? <=/

r3d d09

Smash Master
Dthrow is kinda a MEH, for me. I usually get it, but when i don't it's because I blind, no joke. when i miss, it's because i blink. odd john i guess :p but it's the truth.

Or i forget to walk forward just *that* much

Smoom77

Smash Master
I remember that I didn't get CGs like at all. I could do a few, but not much.

I took like a 2 week break from brawl and when I came back, it all flowed. I understood it all! Someone should try that.

Sky`

Smash Lord
So who wants to tell me how Diminishing returns work for IC's? Are they their own individual character? Does a Dthrow unstale nana's D throw? I dun get it. somebody explain?

Does Blizzard refresh your moves for each hit it hits?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
So who wants to tell me how Diminishing returns work for IC's? Are they their own individual character? Does a Dthrow unstale nana's D throw? I dun get it. somebody explain?

Does Blizzard refresh your moves for each hit it hits?
iirc when popo attacks, both climber's attack stale. when nana attacks, nothing stales.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Frozen - That would explain the "oddity" I noticed when alt-grabbing with separate throws for each climber, Popo's went stale while Nana's didn't; it makes sense. Originally I thought they had their own stale queues. :/

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that all hits of Blizzard count as the same move, not separate ones. Edit: Just tested it quickly, it is all definitely counted as one move.

r3d d09

Smash Master
it's just like other multi hitbox moves. it doesn't stale. basically stale takes effect for each time you hit the button to cause the move to happen again.
I say this for example. squal. you tap b to make it do what ever you want * you know what i'm talking about*
so when ever a new move can be implemented, this is when stale can take place.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Er, pretty sure all of Squall is counted as the one move no matter how many times you tap B. The move isn't altered in any way, only the Climbers' momentum.

Marth's Dancing Blade is a good example. Each "slash" counts as a separate move for the purposes of the stale queue.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I have a question, what are some tips to sweet spotting the fair on the d-throw -> fair chain grab cause on MK I'm ALWAYS hitting him with the part of the hitbox that sends him horizontal instead of spiking him. I haven't been playing ICs for very long and haven't tested the CG on everyone so if I have more questions I'll come back and ask.

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys back again -_-

I have a friend who mains lucas and he kind of sucks and i have 3-0'd him with my marth, but with iceclimbers I still win but i can never get a respectable CG on him. Does anyone have any suggestions on wich pattern i should do, I.E. bthrow to Dthrow.

Thanks in advance as always =]

also, for the person having trouble with the Spike cg... the placement varries for each character, some you need to move forward, some like bowser go straight up, and some you need to delay the hit.

r3d d09

Smash Master
lucas i believe is Bthrow to D throw. that's what i use on my friend anyways.

and you spike. first off, players can tech it... but if they don'tknow how to. i've never had difficulty doing it.
are you throwing forward or downward to Fair? it just might be when your inputing Fair and having different times each time on same char.

what most do is I believe Nana jump, input Fair and Fthrow at the same time.

with Dthrow, it's different.

I use D throw dueto a bad habit >.> but i do Fthrow when i remember to.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
DThrow Spike always is DThrow -> Jump -> Fair, with a bigger gap between the first two the heavier they are (and almost instant at the bottom of the weight list).

BThrow DThrow is a good idea on the Mother boys. I always had trouble straight FThrowing them due to their tininess so I'd just FThrow Hobble lol. Definitely gonna try this out.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Kawaii Poyo said:
I have a question, what are some tips to sweet spotting the fair on the d-throw -> fair chain grab cause on MK I'm ALWAYS hitting him with the part of the hitbox that sends him horizontal instead of spiking him. I haven't been playing ICs for very long and haven't tested the CG on everyone so if I have more questions I'll come back and ask.
Instead of full hopping your jump, do a shorthop -> f-air for Nana, but the problem is it's the f-air again. To spike, you must sweetspot the hammer, not the handle, the hammer, so you when you shorthop, back a little forward when she's jumping and the hammer will hit. This works very well for heavies and characters who are generally hard to d-throw/f-air, and it's worth it.

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
Is hobbling an important thing to learn, or is it better to just learn to straight up CG?... i've never took the time to learn how to hobble effectively

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
It's important to learn, but "regular" chaingrabbing is far more important.

Knowing how to hobble has saved me many times when I've come up against a character I'm not sure how to CG. I won a set at Evo vs a Ness despite not knowing how to CG him, or even knowing much about the matchup in general. It's a great fallback.

However, the fact of the matter is that regular chaingrabs are faster, more damaging and more reliable.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'll be ****ed if I use my 9999th post on this thread. Oh wait. x.x Too late. Might as well help.

For Middleweights, I like to use Buffered FThrow to DThrow. I really hate DThrowing Middleweights. FThrow to BThrow also works but it can be kinda slow if you don't buffer it correctly.

Top Bottom