• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
What are your guys' main Sopo strategies?

Personally, I go even more grab happy then I am with two climbers, haha. My community doesn't screw around against Sopo anymore. XD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Against Sopo you can abuse the fact your opponent is no longer scared of you. Getting the grab is much easier as they won't avoid it like the plaque.
Keep in mind Sopo is like the worst character in the game :(
For killing you can Dthrow to uair or read their actions and fair them. Just keep playing safe and try to rack as much damage as possible before you die. That's what I do =/

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
What are your guys' main Sopo strategies?

Personally, I go even more grab happy then I am with two climbers, haha. My community doesn't screw around against Sopo anymore. XD
I tend to start yelling, "VINNIE!" in different tones and voices in hopes that the Patron Saint of Sopo Kills will bless me

I also like to kill with a charged Fsmash on spot dodge/roll read, an Uair > Bair at like 150% or higher, or Usmash OOS if they are poorly spacing. Early percent I try to stick to the CG. Middle percents, I try to work with Grab > Throw off stage > Aerial or Dtilts or if I have no idea what's going on jab.

But mostly yelling, "Vinnie" is my primary strategy.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I tend to start yelling, "VINNIE!" in different tones and voices in hopes that the Patron Saint of Sopo Kills will bless me

I also like to kill with a charged Fsmash on spot dodge/roll read, an Uair > Bair at like 150% or higher, or Usmash OOS if they are poorly spacing. Early percent I try to stick to the CG. Middle percents, I try to work with Grab > Throw off stage > Aerial or Dtilts or if I have no idea what's going on jab.

But mostly yelling, "Vinnie" is my primary strategy.
I love you DeLux XD

Uh, is (Pdthrow-->Ndthrow--> P pivot grab--> repeat) a legitimate cg on heavy characters? I've been doing it while practicing against CPUs, and it seems like it is.

It's so much fun, and it's so easy.

DeLux

Are you talking about the one where you run past and pivot grab?

It's inescapable minus the whole tripping. So for most situations there are better CGs to use.

Roller

Smash Legend
I just use it vs snake to get away from grenades occasionally if they are at a percent where they can easily mash out while I throw a grenade away. Otherwise, I prefer walking CGs on heavies, because they are tripless, as opposed to increasing tripping by adding pivots to each iteration of the cg.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Yeah I was talking about running past --> pivot grab.
But yeah, tripping. Didn't think of that. I guess I should practice walking CGs.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Can anybody give me some tips on how to read opponents better? I've been trying to incorporate it into my game for the past 2 months but I just keep having a really hard time with it. The only thing I've gotten down in after they do a laggy move I run up to them and bait a spot dodge, but that only goes so far :/. Is there any habits that you look for in certain situations? I know its something that takes alot of time to get down but I honestly don't know where to start.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Habits differ from player to player. Reading is your own skill and you can't really TELL somebody how to do it. The only advice I can give you on it is play more. The more you play, the better you will get at seeing patterns emerge, better at seeing MORE of the patterns, and understanding the mix-up at high/top level play.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yeah, reading opponents is something you can never perfect, and like Esam said it differs from player to player, so it's difficult to tell whether you're really learning or not. If I had to pinpoint a best place to start, pay particular attention to how they react to what you're doing when they are at death percents. People are usually a LOT more prone to have easy habits to read when they're afraid.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
There are also small habits you can pay attention to, such as how they land, how they normally recover, what they do when you are close to you, etc.. It is harder as ICs since people will normally try to jump and aerial (not very punishable) but if you play other characters you can start reading them based on simple set-ups.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You also won't really be thinking about what your opponent is doing in your head during a match. It's too distracting and will make you play worse. Reading is basically either baiting or forcing your opponent into a familiar scenario and then picking options to cover. For example if I run at a lower level player sitting in their shield they will probably spotdodge so I will run past and pivot grab. If I'm playing a top player they will either dash away or jump away, so I try to cover their landing with an IB, and keep an eye out for things like roll behind/random option character has.

It's really just a ton of experience. The best way to get better at reading people is to play a TON.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
I think the best way I'll be able to get practice like that is on wifi since I only have about 4 people to practice with where I live. >_<
would practicing on wifi be a good idea? I've tried it before and didn't like it because I couldn't chain grab with the lag lol. But for the whole reading habits aspect of it would it be good?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Speaking from experience, Icies on wifi is terrible.
I guess you can sort of get better at reaction time and reading and that stuff, but Icies have too much stuff that needs to be nearly frame perfect for you to get better at it on Wifi.
Some methods of desyncing are terribly difficult in lag too.

All of that is null and void though if you live in Japan because their wifi is apparently godlike.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Speaking from experience, Icies on wifi is terrible.
I guess you can sort of get better at reaction time and reading and that stuff, but Icies have too much stuff that needs to be nearly frame perfect for you to get better at it on Wifi.
Some methods of desyncing are terribly difficult in lag too.

All of that is null and void though if you live in Japan because their wifi is apparently godlike.
Yeah ic's on wifi are horrible, but I would get way more experience than I would offline :\
unless I travel to some out of town/ state tourneys but I'm pretty tight on money right now.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Isn't that Japan wifi stuff just simply bull****. There is a programmed minimum lag of about 6 frames I get with every damn Finnish player I play on wifi, so does that mean Finland has some godlike wifi too? =/

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I dunno. I remember someone commentating on the Kakera vs ESAM Apex match say that Japan's wifi only gives a couple frames of delay so people can actually practice the Icies chaingrabs over wifi.

Not impossible that it could be good other places too, but definitely not America. :T

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I am pretty sure it has been programmed to be at least 6 frames lag no matter what so that must be false. And I can barely notice the lag when I play wifi with Finns but I still can't cg on wifi as they can easily mash out there.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I CG on wifi...
How consistent. How bout snake on lylat on wifi 0_0. I will **** my pants if u can 0 to death a snake on wifi + no hobbling at all.

I cg on wifi to but I like never get 0 to deaths on anyone unless I can hobble them :p.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I don't play as much as I used to, but in my good times I could definitely bthrow>dthrow snake on lylat.

Sieguest

Smash Master
In regards to the wifi talk, the game automatically delays taking input by a given amount of frames between 4 and 16(?) depending on the connection color displayed for whoever you're playing. I used to think it was a set 6 frame delay too but I remember someone correcting me on it.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
anyone done a 9B or kakera interview about IC? quite interested in knowing about their approach and practice methods.

DeLux

We have a social thread if you want to make fun of IC players

Q&A is off limits. If there's some issue that I don't understand, PM me about it and I might reverse it.

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
We have a social thread if you want to make fun of IC players

Q&A is off limits. If there's some issue that I don't understand, PM me about it and I might reverse it.
No, it's alright I always get in trouble for dumb ****. Its normal, i'm done here in the ic's boards for now.

btw Scumbag is a meme, look it up brother.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
What's the best way to desynch ICs?
This is too vague, and also not my area of expertise.

Best in what way? In terms of speed, spacing, safety?
In truth, desynching is usually entirely dependent on the scenario. It's best to learn the quintessential and useful desynchs and just become fluent enough with Ice Climbers to utilize them when you need them.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
New to IC's!!!

Hi guys!!! So me and my friends where just messing around having random matches to give our mains some rest and I got the Ice Climbers, I'm sorry to say that my first thought was "OMG not these guys!!!" But they fit so well!!! I had an absolute blast playing them and really loved the way the over-B fit in perfectly followed by an over or up tilt depending on which way my friends DI'd. Anyways basically what I'm trying to say is I'm fairly new to Ice Climbers, my main is Pit, but I'd really really like to be tournament ready with the IC's. My main strategy with them so far has basically been spam ice blocks and over B when they get close, and fight with the back and neutral airs when it comes to aerial. My favorite kill is to have Popo grab them and hit up on the c-stick for two quick up smashes, usually around 130-150% damage for a kill.

My question is basically, now that you (hopefully) have a decent idea of where I am with the Ice Climbers (providing I had enough detail :)) where would be a good place to start with them? As in like which AT's should I practice? What's the most important thing about being good with them? I've never been up against any good IC players so chain grabbing has never felt like a threat to me, not compared to the damage a short hop ice wave into an over b > tilt anyways.

Sorry I know I put a lot in here, and I hope it all makes sense I'm just really excited about picking up Ice Climbers :)

Also, something I thought I'd share with you guys, to see if it made anyone laugh :)
My friend mains Donkey Kong, and I beat him to the first kill without losing Nana, got about 60% on him before he killed her, and another 20% before he got Popo. After respawning I got some small damage in with ice blocks before he ran in and grabbed Nana after knocking me away, he then proceeded to walk of stage with her, and stage spiked her!!! I was so angry I went for the kill with Popo and got it. After taking about 95% from Popo shenanigans, he finally killed me. We were then both at 1 stock, me with a significant advantage, before he throws me off stage and spikes me after I threw Nana back towards the stage, fortunately I survived the spike and threw my up-B again, right into his up-B where I was hit once more, noticing an invincible Nana edge guarding him by hanging on the ledge that he could not grab :D he died before I did because I was able to stall a little bit with a final up-B :D :D :D

Nana edge guard for the win!!!!!!!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, the fact that you haven't played a competent ICs is definitely why you don't see CGs as a huge value.

As ICs, a grab should equal a stock assuming nana is still alive. YOu can literally 0-death every character in the game, so learn those. Watch some videos to see basic timings and stuff because it is really hard learning those from scratch.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the fact that you haven't played a competent ICs is definitely why you don't see CGs as a huge value.

As ICs, a grab should equal a stock assuming nana is still alive. YOu can literally 0-death every character in the game, so learn those. Watch some videos to see basic timings and stuff because it is really hard learning those from scratch.
Okays :) one thing I've noticed about when I do try and go on chain grab sprees during a match, I usually lose pretty badly against my friends. I have a tendency to just give up on grabbing and go on a de-synched rampage with spinning hammers and tilts and stuff :) Also, I have a bad habit of trying to do to many taunts with them after a kill, which gets me punished lol, but the up taunt is so absolutely adorable!!!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Honestly it sounds like you don't play on a competitive level. Just have fun with them and teach yourself random cool things, pretty much anything will work at your level of play. Look around the board at guides and such if you want.

Top Bottom