• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Use the basics. You don't need to do anything special to win against people as good as you, or even better. Just keep calm and don't rush into anything. ICs are the most threatening character when doing nothing, so you will always be ahead in the mental game.
I agree, when it comes to ICs you don't even need to apply any pressure. The pressure is already there all the time. Except when your getting knocked up.

To do my ****** gay **** I use the Z button for grab. I know this is like a personal preferance thing but I'm just curious if there is a better option. Is there a better button option than Z button? Also I have to get used to the new button if there is a better button option.

Roller

Smash Legend
Z button is fine, I use it. A lot of ICs use it. Some use x or y or other things, and they have their reasons. But if you can do them with z, that works.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just use whatever works for you.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
The only thing special on my controls is tap jump is off, so that if I go to save nana and I just get slightly hit, I can still recover.

Roller

Smash Legend
I turn it off so I can tilt my shield all the way up without actually trying. I'm lazy.

Also so if I go to throw an item up, or u-throw->usmash finish and slightly mistime it for whatever reason.. nothing bad happens.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I use default controls...because i'm actually skilled at smash.

Zinggg

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
When I get grabbed what is my best option to do?
do nothing and hope nana saves me
try to make nana jab or do a attack to get me out
or mashout like I was any other character?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Sometimes I start pressing A so Nana will start jabbing most of the time. You could also hold B to make Nana shoot an Ice Block. Either way, eventually they won't be grabbing you too much.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian: How do you get :mad088: as an icon where your main character is? :o
If you hover over the Icon it tells you what it is. I got it when I became a broomer. I'm an admin, so I can just add whatever icons I want lol but I just keep the ones on that I've actually earned.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Thats what I do most of the time, just wasn't sure if there was a better option.
Also like 75% of the time when I try to instant trhow something (bomb, banana, grenade, etc) nana always catches it. Do you have to have a certain timing with instant throwing so nana won't catch it or does nana have to be at a certain distance from popo in the air? I can instant throw perfectly with all of my secondaries just not my main :( lol

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thats what I do most of the time, just wasn't sure if there was a better option.
Also like 75% of the time when I try to instant trhow something (bomb, banana, grenade, etc) nana always catches it. Do you have to have a certain timing with instant throwing so nana won't catch it or does nana have to be at a certain distance from popo in the air? I can instant throw perfectly with all of my secondaries just not my main :( lol
Make sure she is behind you, or instant throw twice so she instant throws it right when she catches it.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
This might be old news, but apparently Nana can levitate. I was messing around with ICs on Battlefield and had Popo at the top platform, and Nana was dumbly trying to reach him from below with her jump. I used Blizzard and Nana levitated up in the air while using it, before going back down again. What the heck? o.o

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Sync mechanics will naturally pull Nana towards Popo within a distance of 25 IGU's

Playing ICs?

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
is desyncing really worth doing other than using it a few times in a match for mixups? idk it just seems like playing patiently with them synced the whole time is safer and more reliable. I know theres traps like nana blizzards while popo runs through and grabs and stuff like that but it just seems like while you are desyncing it is easer to get split up.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
There are lots of setups that can only be done with desynching, more than we have already come up with. There are a few options while synched, and only a few more that can be created, cause you're constantly together.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
There are lots of setups that can only be done with desynching, more than we have already come up with. There are a few options while synched, and only a few more that can be created, cause you're constantly together.
could you give me some examples or a link where it might have been discussed? Like I know about IB chaser, blizzard wall, having nana charging a smash while you are pulling her and stuff like that.

| Big D |

Smash Master
How do I efficiently ISSDI and how can I practice to do it on reaction?

As far as I know it's just hitting the cstick in shieldlag toward the opponent, but I tried that and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This might be old news, but apparently Nana can levitate. I was messing around with ICs on Battlefield and had Popo at the top platform, and Nana was dumbly trying to reach him from below with her jump. I used Blizzard and Nana levitated up in the air while using it, before going back down again. What the heck? o.o
Lol this was discovered like a week after brawl came out...in japan.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Is there an easy way to make either Popo or Nana edgehog while leaving the other one onstage?

B0NK

Smash Lord
^^^ dash dance desync

While facing the ledge, dash back once then forward immediately and grab the edge with popo, if you want to switch who's on the edge while popo's holding it is to simply press b

If you want nana on the edge while facing the edge, dash forward, immediately dash back, the immediately dash forward again and nana will fall on the edge, to switch places of the climbers use the first method of putting popo on the edge.

That said there are more ways then that, these are the easiest imo, and also this is pretty much worthless.

Moral of this post, just use belay! -_^b It infinitesimally more useful =P

:phone:

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Is there an easy way to make either Popo or Nana edgehog while leaving the other one onstage?
Leave nana onstage (easy): Kakera desynch

Leave popo onstage (harder): Triple dash dance, Standing Nana, instant turn around, etc.

Bonk, I don't always want to use belay since it has so much lag to it, compared to just throwing someone on the edge really quick and picking up the punish.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You can just pivot IB and then make nana hug the edge to leave popo on the stage. Very easy.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
You can LD1 for an out of shield option at the edge as well

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody smash hobble anymore? I havent seen it done in any of the videos that I've watched recently. Also if I were smash hobbling somebody is it possible for them to sdi nana's smash so they get out of the grab?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Does anybody smash hobble anymore? I havent seen it done in any of the videos that I've watched recently. Also if I were smash hobbling somebody is it possible for them to sdi nana's smash so they get out of the grab?
I still smash hobble. Nothing negative about it really.
It probably is possible to sdi out of though, just because you can theoretically SDI anywhere hard. But then again if you do it correctly they won't have any frames to SDI hard enough away.

B0NK

Smash Lord
can IC's jab cancel grab? I can't get it to work.
No, but they can Jab 1 > Hitlag Desynch > Popo Jab 2 + Nana Grab

Timing is pretty strict, and I'm not sure how to get it consistent myself, but I personally just try to make sure when I jab someone, I hit Z for jab two so I at least have a chance of performing it =P

Top Bottom