• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
You can also do it with almost 0 lag with an standard item drop >_>

Vinnie

Smash Master
I've actually missed seeing your GW more, since I'm still trying to get better with him. You rarely even use him for tournaments in the past couple of months, just Wario or MK for CPs.
I used him as much as I could in smashachusetts. I used him 100% in doubles and only in GF vs Ally.

Still, you shouldn't worry about what other people say about you. ICs are *** on CPs, that's why we have seconds. >_>
idk, I like ICs on CPs most of the time... other than maybe ridiculous CPs like rainbow/brinstar.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Even though you have the best G&W, why use him if you have the nations best ICs too? ICs are better than G&W in so many ways that I don't wonder why you aren't using him much anymore. Care to tell us how you practice if at all? :3

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It can really throw people off to use two characters in one set. Against IC's you need to play very specifically and then you need to play much different against GW, so even if the match-up is worse you could end up doing better by switching. It's gimmicky though and doesn't work well against people who adapt fast.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Even though you have the best G&W, why use him if you have the nations best ICs too?
I only used g&w in one singles set yesterday (vs Ally in GF), I used him 100% in doubles though. I got 2-0'd by Ally's Snake with ICs in winners' semis, so I decided to use all g&w in GF.
ICs are better than G&W in so many ways that I don't wonder why you aren't using him much anymore.
lol yeah... but I still use him sometimes, he's like my backup in case things don't go as planned with ICs.
Care to tell us how you practice if at all? :3
Videos, chain grabbing (and general tech skill practice with ICs), practicing offline with really good players. I never use Wi-Fi.

DeLux

Some stages make hobbling unviable. also, if you use the mash method, there's a extreme set of circumstances that are frame and spacing tight that will make the reset IB whiff the snake lol

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
What chain grabs are good for doing on Snake that don't involve the back throw? How is the best way to fight Marth? I just have major issues with him >_>

DeLux

The only CG i can think of that doesn't use a Bthrow to turn around at some point is P F/Dthrow > N F/Dthrow > Popo run past and pivot grab.

You'd be better off just learning to P Fthrow > N Bthrow imo. Or Dthrows across the stage and use that. Or even just use one P Bthrow since it reduces the chances of tripping by a lot rather than stationary P Bthrow > Dthrow

DeLux

snake shouldn't be able to pull a nade if you do it right

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
How do I get used to using desynching in matches effectively? I can't do blizzard walls right to approach and kinda stuck at that

DeLux

Play against level 9's to get used to how fast a super aggro opponent will act when rushing you down. If you get hit while doing a desync option, you needed to pick a more defensive one or not desynced at all.

Then go to training and put the cpu on run, and use desync frame traps to catch it. If you can't catch them while they are on run, you needed to pick a more aggro desync option or not desync at all.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Videos, chain grabbing (and general tech skill practice with ICs), practicing offline with really good players. I never use Wi-Fi.
When you practice chaingrabbing, how do you do that? A few hours against a certain character or against many or do you just warm up a bit now that you mastered it?

Play against level 9's to get used to how fast a super aggro opponent will act when rushing you down. If you get hit while doing a desync option, you needed to pick a more defensive one or not desynced at all.

Then go to training and put the cpu on run, and use desync frame traps to catch it. If you can't catch them while they are on run, you needed to pick a more aggro desync option or not desync at all.
This is a very good idea. I tend to get owned by opponents who aggro me to death.

Vinnie

Smash Master
When you practice chaingrabbing, how do you do that? A few hours against a certain character or against many or do you just warm up a bit now that you mastered it?
I don't go overboard with it (anymore), I just make sure I chain grab each of the top ~15 characters a good amount (like 10-20 stocks each per week), +whoever I was dropping grabs against the weekend before. Example: my past 6 tournament losses have been to Snake. Guess who I'm chain grabbing this week? lol

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I did that same thing vinnie. I would always practice on mk/snake/diddy for 99 stocks at least once a week, and then my 4th/5th 99 stock people would be whoever I lost to in bracket at my previous tournament. Then after I would just do random chracters at 3 stocks.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't go overboard with it (anymore), I just make sure I chain grab each of the top ~15 characters a good amount (like 10-20 stocks each per week), +whoever I was dropping grabs against the weekend before. Example: my past 6 tournament losses have been to Snake. Guess who I'm chain grabbing this week? lol
The how overboard did you go when you first started to practice them? Like something crazy? One does not simply master chaingrabs in a month.

Vinnie

Smash Master
The how overboard did you go when you first started to practice them? Like something crazy? One does not simply master chaingrabs in a month.
December 2011 and the week before APEX, I was chain grabbing at least 5 hours a day (a few exceptions but yeah). Too bad I got sick/injured at APEX and it didn't matter :(. Also got timed out by two different people, that sooo didn't help my situation.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Delux =) what is the best way to edge guard with Ice Climbers?
Against most people, IBs are the only safe option.

Best gimping option is abusing up-b invincibility. If the opponent's recovery hits you upwards, then jump down and let nana belay to the ledge. If popo gets hit out of it before he snaps to the ledge, Nana will keep her invincibility frames and gimp the opponent (ex. Toon Link).

Also bungee jumping = ****.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
What the ****? Is that even possible? D:
At least 5 hours? Of course. I practice just moving around about an hour sometimes.

what is the best way to edge guard with Ice Climbers?
Blizzard wall at the edge. Desynch ledge grab to have popo on the edge and nana on stage. Belay edge hogging. Bair -> Dtilt/Ftilt.

Alot of stuff.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
At least 5 hours? Of course. I practice just moving around about an hour sometimes.
No way I have time to do more than 1 hour per day now >_> I couldn't play at all yesterday :(
But next week will be holiday, I'll practice like no tomorrow, gotta be good before I go to Germany.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
What's the desync where you buffer a dash in the opposite direction you were facing when landing after jumping and Popo Ice Blocks while Nana does a dash?

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
How do you do the Bthrow>Dthrow on a platform without falling through?

DeLux

I only like Hylian for his secondary and **** Esam that arrogant douchebag :D :D :D

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
For my secondary? lol what

Also, esam is an arrogant funbag.

DeLux

You're right.
I can't think of any reason to
dis
like you >_>

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I may be arrogant, but I'm not a douchebag. I'm a funny *******, which is clearly different. It's like...making hilarious fart noises as opposed to punching a baby.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I like esam cause he randomly comes up behind me at nationals and cheers for me lol

DeLux

Oh yeah, he did that for me too :)

Esam is top 5 in my favorite list

Top Bottom