• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
So I've been watching some Japanese videos with 9b and it seems like he gets to go to FD alot. Does anybody know what stages they might ban against him? like is there a better stage for IC's than FD, because I never get to go to FD lol.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, you can't ban the neutrals (FD, SV, BF) but you can ban one of the 3 CPs they have (YI, LYlat, PS1)

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I thought P bthrow-->N dthrow was da bess?

And, uh, on heavy characters, P fthrow-->N dthrow-->P Pivot Grab is hilarious, I did it in friendlies a few days ago. Is it at all practical? XD
Or the same thing but with double dthrow?

Smoom77

Smash Master
Fthrow>bthrow is the best because it can be buffered, can be done on a platform, in a small place, and it eliminates tripping.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I find fthrow>bthrow to be easier done on

Mediums (like Luigi, Lucario, Mario, Diddy, etc.) and the big heavies (D3, DK, Bowser, and Chawizawd).

I find it almost impossible for me to do consistently on these guys (lights, Snake, Ganadorf, lucas, and ness and sometimes Yoshi.)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Don't try it on Lucas.
It is difficult with Ness, but not impossible.
Everyone else is doable

-LzR-

Smash Hero
In that case, how do I cg Snake and Ganon? Those 2 are way too hard for me to chaingrab the 2011 way. Pretty much every other character is fine to me, but those 2 are dumb... Because of my lack of cg I actually managed to lose to a Ganon and that wasn't funny.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
anyone spoken to 9B or kakera before?

what do you think their ice climber philosophy is? lux?

Sylarius

Smash Ace
In that case, how do I cg Snake and Ganon? Those 2 are way too hard for me to chaingrab the 2011 way.
Hobbling? Usually I dthrow CG until I reach the end of the stage, then hobble. Although understandably it's difficult if not impossible to do on platforms.

If you lose a game to a Ganon or Snake with ICs because you can't CG them, I'd say go one of your secondarys.

EDIT: For Snake, your fthrow spacing has to be almost inside Nana, you barely step forward as with the other characters. The spacing is weird but it's the only way it works. You kinda have to bthrow earlier as well to compensate for the longer bthrow animation due to a heavy character.

EDIT 2:
Probably. Because what I do is bthrow to nana, fthrow to pop, and repeat. I tried it the other way and dropped it after 1 grab >_<
You're probably not doing it fast enough. Try using Marth, he's one of the easier characters to CG with.
This is how it's supposed to look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehp4e4M8a-c#t=201s

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
In that case, how do I cg Snake and Ganon? Those 2 are way too hard for me to chaingrab the 2011 way.
Hobbling? Usually I dthrow CG until I reach the end of the stage, then hobble. Although understandably it's difficult if not impossible to do on platforms.

If you lose a game to a Ganon or Snake with ICs because you can't CG them, I'd say go one of your secondarys.

EDIT: For Snake, your fthrow spacing has to be almost inside Nana, you barely step forward as with the other characters. The spacing is weird but it's the only way it works. You kinda have to bthrow earlier as well to compensate for the longer bthrow animation due to a heavy character.
U can't hobble on lylat or yoshi or any stage with curves or tilts/moves.

Pointless Fun Fact: The only place u can hobble on Hyrule is on the large top platform in the middle of the stage. That big roof looking thing.

Even though other places may look flat for some reason I can't always hobble there. People end up getting out, U can hobble on certain other platforms but there to small to hobble with out them falling off the edge -____-.

Arch-Raven

Smash Rookie
Hey. I've been trying to accomplish an F-Throw Chain Grab, but it hasn't been going well.

After I grab with Popo, I am not able to use Nana alone. Every time I try to use an attack or a Z, they stay synched.

What I do:
1) Grab with Popo
2) Walk left with Nana
3) Throw opponent
4) Attempt Grab with Nana

But it doesn't work. The opponent flies too far for Nana's range, (even at 0%), and Nana doesn't seem to run far enough. The de-synching isn't working

Someone help.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey IC players, I'm thinking about picking up the ICs as a second. What do I need to focus and learn first? How would you guys recommend training them(friendlies, tournaments, wifi, etc.)? And what do I need to do to become a top IC player?

Ruinn

Smash Ace
Most ic's pick up ic's to chaingrab. not gonna lie, i was one of those people. probably still am. but thats why if you can get passed my cg you'll win. im telling you now, focus on their descyning first, their basic attacks, specials, and then make your way to hobbling/chaingrabbing. Also, if you have fast hands learn to rise very high with ic's side b move.

Roller

Smash Legend
In that case, how do I cg Snake and Ganon? Those 2 are way too hard for me to chaingrab the 2011 way. Pretty much every other character is fine to me, but those 2 are dumb... Because of my lack of cg I actually managed to lose to a Ganon and that wasn't funny.
Personally, I learned walking dthrow-dthrow, bthrow-dthrow, and hobbling on snake.

Whoever said to hobble, yeah, that's fine if you are near the center of a flat stage, but you are screwed if you get the grab at a low percent and your opponent can SDI, OR if you grab them near the ledge, OR if the ground is not flat (yoshi's for example) OR if you grab them on a platform. (makes platforms much safer for them if the only cg you know they can get out of easily on them)

For all these reasons, I highly recommend learning walking dthrow->dthrow or dthrow->fthrow, as well as bthrow->dthrow.

On the main part of stages I do d throw->dthrow, and turn around at the edge with either bthrow (if I'm very close to edge) or hobble to turn around (with adequate space left before ledge encase they sdi), then continue dthrowing.

On platforms I do bthrow->dthrow

Something which is EXTREMELY important however, is learning how to throw grenades away while cging. It has helped me IMMENSELY in the matchup.

I practice by putting bananas or fans on medium with 99 stocks and unlimited timer vs snake. Everytime I come up to a banana/fan, I throw it away and continue CGing. I've also recently begun using this to work on my desynched grab setups out of banana throws to begin the cg. It's been paying off quite a bit and has been a big part of my placings going from 7th/9th to top 3.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Awesome stuff Roller. Though I cannot Dthrow cg at all :(
I actually managed to pull of a 2011 kinda fine, but it's just gonna take a lot of practice and I might be able to do it. Also dat banana thing sounds cool.

Roller

Smash Legend
KID posted this pic on facebook a while back, and it really inspired me, both in smash and other areas of life.

I couldn't dthrow->dthrow him at first either. I have to practice on him for hours each week just to keep it consistent. It does take a lot of time, but if you want to be able to win against a solid snake (no pun intended) it's necessary imo. You can do it if you are willing to put the time in, trust me.

I feel like a lot of times ICs players don't see/take advantage of chances to improve because all they see is the work it will require.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Hey IC players, I'm thinking about picking up the ICs as a second. What do I need to focus and learn first? How would you guys recommend training them(friendlies, tournaments, wifi, etc.)? And what do I need to do to become a top IC player?
Most important thing to note to me, is don't ask questions on how to Chaingrab. You can see perfectly fine in videos how to do everything needed to CG, so those questions are pretty dumb and unnecessary when all you have to do is practice instead of asking "WHY DO I KEEP DROPPING THIS? SOMEONE HELP. HOW DO I CHAINGRAB THIS CHARACTER?"

All of that is just things you can work on in training mode by practicing.

Something which is EXTREMELY important however, is learning how to throw grenades away while cging. It has helped me IMMENSELY in the matchup.

I practice by putting bananas or fans on medium with 99 stocks and unlimited timer vs snake. Everytime I come up to a banana/fan, I throw it away and continue CGing. I've also recently begun using this to work on my desynched grab setups out of banana throws to begin the cg. It's been paying off quite a bit and has been a big part of my placings going from 7th/9th to top 3.
Wow, never thought of doing that to practice it, nice tip. I just practiced it raw by myself for about an hour till I got savvy enough with it to do it without messing up my rhythm. I'll definitely try this.
I couldn't dthrow->dthrow him at first either. I have to practice on him for hours each week just to keep it consistent. It does take a lot of time, but if you want to be able to win against a solid snake (no pun intended) it's necessary imo. You can do it if you are willing to put the time in, trust me.

I feel like a lot of times ICs players don't see/take advantage of chances to improve because all they see is the work it will require.
Great post. Most people just want to learn everything at one time, no matter how much work you have to put into it or how big of a task it is; which is why most people get frustrated, lazy, etc. Instead of coming here all the time and asking pointless questions, break down CGs. Everytime you drop it, guess why you did it wrong(Grabbed too fast, grabbed too slow, sped up my rhythm too much). Break down your training mode time into sections to practice certain aspects of stuff instead of trying to stuff everything into one day's worth. Ice Climbers are not a character you can learn in 24 hours.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Roller is on my item CG practice :D :D :D

Why Fans and bananas though and not bombs and bananas like I said? >_>

Roller

Smash Legend
I had been doing fans before we had talked. I now do pretty much exclusively bananas. Because the whole point is just getting the motion down to throw the item away as quick as possible, doesn't really matter what you're throwing. I actually used those smoke ball things for a while. But the reason I stopped with those was they were too annoying after they landed. And bananas help with the set up practice. So yeah. Mostly just them. They do what bombs do (for all intents and purposes) and more.

I also think fans have a bigger range you can grab them from, which was initially why I switched to the (smaller?) smoke balls. But bananas look smaller than fans too. idk though, this could all be in my head. lol

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Most important thing to note to me, is don't ask questions on how to Chaingrab. You can see perfectly fine in videos how to do everything needed to CG, so those questions are pretty dumb and unnecessary when all you have to do is practice instead of asking "WHY DO I KEEP DROPPING THIS? SOMEONE HELP. HOW DO I CHAINGRAB THIS CHARACTER?"

All of that is just things you can work on in training mode by practicing.

Wow, never thought of doing that to practice it, nice tip. I just practiced it raw by myself for about an hour till I got savvy enough with it to do it without messing up my rhythm. I'll definitely try this.

Great post. Most people just want to learn everything at one time, no matter how much work you have to put into it or how big of a task it is; which is why most people get frustrated, lazy, etc. Instead of coming here all the time and asking pointless questions, break down CGs. Everytime you drop it, guess why you did it wrong(Grabbed too fast, grabbed too slow, sped up my rhythm too much). Break down your training mode time into sections to practice certain aspects of stuff instead of trying to stuff everything into one day's worth. Ice Climbers are not a character you can learn in 24 hours.
Who asked how to chaingrab? All I was asking was how to be effective w/ this character. Any more tips guys? I've already gotten some from Delux.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
I want to learn to hobble for the characters I can't cg. I'm talking where nana footstools then ice blocks, then full charge fsmash to regrab. Yes, I want to learn that. ;-;

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Who asked how to chaingrab? All I was asking was how to be effective w/ this character. Any more tips guys? I've already gotten some from Delux.
Walk around, shield things, uair a lot, grab.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Use the basics. You don't need to do anything special to win against people as good as you, or even better. Just keep calm and don't rush into anything. ICs are the most threatening character when doing nothing, so you will always be ahead in the mental game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
KID posted this pic on facebook a while back, and it really inspired me, both in smash and other areas of life.

inster cool pic here

Nah I spent more than practicing stuff alone with Icies than I have actually played the character so I'm fine. I just tend to want to chaingrab as many characters as possible with the 2011 cg since it's easier to do with familiar throws. I still have to find soem cue for the dthrow. I can actually manage with chaingrabbing Snake when I get the spacing right, but the first 2 throws are actually the hardest for that reason. I'll just keep practicing and try out that banana thing.

Top Bottom