• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
To get the CG down 100% consistency should I just practice and practice more? =\
No, if you sacrifice two goats and a dog to the God of the Icicle Mountain, he will bestow your hands with perfect chaingrab capabilities.

Was this really a question? How do you get anything down to 100% consistency? You practice. -.-

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And to get the best results, experiment and see why you drop the grabs and how you don't. It's not all about timing, spacing also matters a lot more than you would think.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
so when I was playing today I hit snake with my nair and when both of the hits connected it sent him down and horizontal, I couldn't get it to work again but anybody think it might be a good edge guard?

Also I know on Yoshi's island you can't hobble people because of the slope, but I was able to get it at a lower percent. Does anybody know how the stages slants work with hobbling, or if its based on percentages or sdi or something?

Thanks!

Sylarius

Smash Ace
That's literally all I'm doing. I really appreciate the answer LzR. Just getting disappointed whenever I drop a grab and it's taking quite awhile.
@Rubberbandman: Nobody's forcing you to answer questions. If you can't stand stupid questions, why don't you remove the stupidity yourself? All you had to say was yes. Not make a huge deal out of an honest question.

I wouldn't post making myself look so much like a scrub for no reason, that was a legitimate question. The one time I asked how to do the fthrow bthrow CG, you didn't answer it either. =\

@Saint: Made me laugh.
@LzR: Thanks again.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
That's literally all I'm doing. I really appreciate the answer LzR. Just getting disappointed whenever I drop a grab and it's taking quite awhile.
It's not something that you really ever stop if you want 100% consistency.
Everyone still practices them (except me, but I don't own a Wii looooooolwut)
It will take awhile.
But with this character, you can immediately see the results of your practice. Ice Climbers are probably the only character that you can sit in practice mode with for like 5 hours and literally immediately see a reward from that practice.

Smoom77

Smash Master
You'll only see results immediately if you understand the character's play style first. If you know how to play ICs without CGs, then adding them on then will show immediate results.

Sieguest

Smash Master
If you can't stand stupid questions, why don't you remove the stupidity yourself? All you had to say was yes. Not make a huge deal out of an honest question.
I wouldn't post making myself look so much like a scrub for no reason, that was a legitimate question. The one time I asked how to do the fthrow bthrow CG, you didn't answer it either. =\
Simple... we can't force someone to not post anymore, so "removing the stupidity [oneself]" is impossible... not sure why you would ask that.

Also it's kind of implied that if you want to do anything with any amount of proficiency that would practice it over and over, that's just a fact of life, not just CGs and such. So while the question "Do I have to practice to be consistent with _____?" is not a "dumb" question(because I hold that there is no such thing as a dumb question), the premise of it lacks prethought. I can understand you being demotivated by constant failure in achieving CG -> KO stuff and having those "Do I REALLY have to?" thoughts but don't let that cloud common sense. Moving on...

You also have to understand that we've seen the question "How to do ____ CG?" or any such related question multiple times and the answer we give will NEVER change.

Practice- There's no hard bound written in stone way to do any of these CGs, everyone has their own method, it's up to YOU to practice and find what works for you. We can offer up what we do to help ourselves (such as I use visual and audio cues while I CG) but that may or may not work for you. So you eventually end up having to do it on your own. I mean, I could tell you that on midweight characters I listen for that first "woosh" sound at the beginning of the bthrow and then press grab button to regrab with Nana then wait until I see Nana's hammer start to swing down for the fthrow to press the grab button and repeat until infinity. Yeah, there's a pad to get a little off of the ground, but you're still going to have to sit down and waste your life away for a while practicing it because now you're just adjusting what you used to be timing and spacing to to something else.

So instead of wasting your time with a half a page explanation on what visual and audio cues I use, I can simplify it all with just the word "practice". Whether you look for what I look for, or Rubberbandman looks for, or Lux looks for, or something else is the only the difference between them. In the end you will probably benefit the most when all of sudden some cue you pick up on yourself while practicing clicks and you start nailing grabs.

/stuff

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I didn't mean the visual/audio cues. Don't remember asking for them. I've 0-deathed G&W and Marth with my eyes closed, just yesterday in fact. I 0-deathed a Snake online yesterday as well. I can desynch perfectly well. Just having problems with consistency.

Roller

Smash Legend
Inconsistency comes from lacking a full understanding of the cues you are relying upon to re-grab out of each throw. Either that or nerves. But nerves shouldn't play a role in practice.

Aerovistae

Smash Cadet
Question:

I've just started learning the chain grabs for the ice climbers, having never done them before. I'm practicing in training mode in slow motion, and working my way up to 1x time as I master each faster level. I got to the point where I could chain grab Marth and Falco to death with the down chain, and occasionally I can do the front, but I've never once done the back chain and when I try other characters the timing seems VERY different for everything and I can't do any of them more than 2-3 times.

So here's the question: in your experience, how long did it take you to master the chain grabs? At what point should I get discouraged and think maybe it's just not for me? Obviously that's a long way away; I've only been trying since yesterday. But assuming I'm a decent player and I'm pretty dedicated to it, how long should I expect to need to practice before I'm comfortable chaining the whole cast?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Practicing in different speeds is generally not a good idea. Just start learning it in real time. And learn to do it unmashably against people.

I still can't CG and I mained the character for a good year. So don't get discouraged

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Question:

I've just started learning the chain grabs for the ice climbers, having never done them before. I'm practicing in training mode in slow motion, and working my way up to 1x time as I master each faster level. I got to the point where I could chain grab Marth and Falco to death with the down chain, and occasionally I can do the front, but I've never once done the back chain and when I try other characters the timing seems VERY different for everything and I can't do any of them more than 2-3 times.

So here's the question: in your experience, how long did it take you to master the chain grabs? At what point should I get discouraged and think maybe it's just not for me? Obviously that's a long way away; I've only been trying since yesterday. But assuming I'm a decent player and I'm pretty dedicated to it, how long should I expect to need to practice before I'm comfortable chaining the whole cast?
I practiced for about 2 hours a night over a whole summer off of school (so about 3 months) and I was able to cg 0-death about 75% of the time on all characters (excluding characters like snake and wario which I just learned to hobble lol)
I would say expect for yourself to be bad at chain grabbing for about 4 months. The reward for all the practice though is being able to play the best character in the game at a very high level XD very worth it.
when your able to cg in practice mode consistently try practicing against lvl 9's on random stages, including counter pick stages this helps getting used to doing the cg under some pressure. Then play non computer players with them for the whole experience.
Thats what I did at least.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Set the goal to learn CG, it´s the hardest technique in this game, but also the most rewarding. Just set goals and give it some time and it´ll be easy as long as you practice alot with it. I generally took like 3 weeks before a tournaments getting the timing right again in the matchups i felt I needed it the most (mainly MK), eventually I got it down well för the tournament which made it a reliable move.
Be prepared it will take alot of time practicing it, but it will be rewarding in so many ways if the practice makes your CG close to perfect for the tournament.

Also, dont focus just on the grabs, when you drop a CG, think about what did go wrong and everything you can gain from that missed CG in form of pressure at those %.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I got it down fairly quick imo. Just practice it real time and keep experimenting different timing. (ie. how fast and long you hit and hold your control stick, the time between the throw and grab, etc.) Change one thing at a time so you can learn what you need to do.

I did it everyday for about a month and really got it down on the characters I most commonly see. Oli, Diddy, Marth, Falco, etc. I even got it down on MK really well. I have it down without hobbling on heavies like Wario and Snake but I'm not consistent yet. It started off slow and I was dropping every time for a few days but it just progressively got better. I think I got my first 0-death on my 3rd day and it just went up from there.

More than anything it just takes a lot of time, and patience. If you start getting frustrated, you have to learn to walk away for a while and come back with a fresh mindset.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
That **** is cool as **** when you get it though. <3
I love Pikachu, but I could never play him. Ice climbers only.

I think the real question is, BadKarma just posted a video of 9B getting a (probably) buffered run into boost pivot grab on MK during a SoPo CG. Is that legit?

Aerovistae

Smash Cadet
Oh, I thought you meant on youtube or something. Is it just to be universally assumed all video posts are in the IC video thread? (I'm new to the forums.)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's recent, but it isn't legit. Otori probably wasn't mashing since it was sopo and he just wasn't expecting it.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yeah I see that working well as a gimmick on people who aren't really mashing or trying to consistently get out/jump away. Pay attention to your opponent.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've tried that several times and it's never worked :/.

Man, it LOOKED like it really worked though I need to test it more.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I moved that post to the MU Q&A >_>, forgot to leave a note, my bad

It's MU related, so can you put it back into the other post that you edited about Diddy's Bananas?

| Big D |

Smash Master
Lol sorry, I just assumed I put it in the wrong thread to begin with.... which ironically is exactly what I did.

I kind of wanted critique on the decisions I was making, I'll admit I edited the post about Diddy's bananas as a cover, still like some input on it though.

I'll move it back :p

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
(2 questions)Ok something weird keeps happening to me when someone is mashing and I'm doing the

F throw > B Throw(nana) cg

When I do it against someone who dosen't mash or DI it works.

But when they mash or DI some way (IDK) they get out. Maybe I don't completely understand this CG cause its seems like against most characters the spacing isn't that strict. Nana can be slightly far from Popo while doing the b throw and Popo will regrab except when they mash/di.

Overall question, how strict is the spacing for this, is there a vid example of it being executed properly?

2nd thing

(This is reffering to every cg)I'm not sure about this, but sometimes when I've got someone in the grab and they manage to get out yet it feels like I was doing it right. One thing I noticed every time someone manages to escape the cgs is that when they are released they go into a spinning arieal animation and when I actually just screw it up because I really did miss the timing and I noticed it they just go in the standard knock back animation.

Does this arieal spinning animation mean that there is a chance that the hit stun decays enough to where u can't regrab and they escape, or does it mean something else? Or does it mean nothing?

Ok I lied there is a 3rd thing.

WTF are frame perfect cgs? I'm gonna take a guess that it is a cg where u regrab them without the victim looking like they have a minor epileptic seizure into the next grab. Cause people can mash out of that right?

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
(2 questions)
But when they mash or DI some way (IDK) they get out.

You aren't doing it fast enough.

2nd thing

One thing I noticed every time someone manages to escape the cgs is that when they are released they go into a spinning arieal animation

I'm going to ignore your terrible spelling, and let you know that when they release into the air, that would be them mashing out of your grab...

because you aren't doing it fast enough. This has nothing to do with your spacing.

and when I actually just screw it up because I really did miss the timing and I noticed it they just go in the standard knock back animation.

This would be you messing up and not grabbing them, exactly like you said.

Ok I lied there is a 3rd thing.

WTF are frame perfect cgs? I'm gonna take a guess that it is a cg where u regrab them without the victim looking like they have a minor epileptic seizure into the next grab. Cause people can mash out of that right?

Exactly as you said. They will have no chance to mash against a frame perfect grab, thus they won't twitch like they have Parkinson's when you do it FAST ENOUGH.
10fastenoughs

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
eh thanks for the advice. I don't see much I misspelled other than ariel. Also speed I don't think plays a role in the mess ups. Speed helps with them not mashing out of grabs. I already understand that. I think its more of a spacing/timing issue. Anyway, thanks for the advice again.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
eh thanks for the advice. I don't see much I misspelled other than ariel. Also speed I don't think plays a role in the mess ups. Speed helps with them not mashing out of grabs. I already understand that. I think its more of a spacing/timing issue. Anyway, thanks for the advice again.
There is no way to DI to get out of your grabs.
The only ways to get out of an Ice Climbers CG are A) Mash fast enough (which means that you aren't CGing fast enough) B) the Ice Climbers main ****s up and misspaces his CG (if this were your only problem, then you'd never see the aerial release, you'd only ever see the normal knockback, but since you're seeing the aerial release sometimes, that means you aren't doing it fast enough) or C) the Ice Climbers main ends the CG with an appropriate smash, sending the opponent flying from Nana's clutches.

Edit: Also I apologize for sounding rude, and pointing out your misspelling. I'm having a terrible day. -_-

Top Bottom