• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
I play Pit and Zelda in tourneys and generally place in the top ten, but they're locals, I'm no where near on par with guys like Lain or Ripple. I'd like to get up to a pretty good standing in some big tournaments with Pit and IC's though. It's funny, I never taunt with anyone except for IC's and Kirby. What should I replace the taunts with then? Anything specific? Or just to stop the bad habit? That's how I beat my rolling habit, I took grab and shield off, then just out prioritized everything with Pit and Sonic.

Oh also, with IC's I can do the chain grab where Popo down throws, and Nana jumps and fairs for a spike up to about 50% on DK, and then the forward throw continuation one, but I have a really hard time with the back throw to Nana and the Down throw to Popo, any advice for that?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Don't back throw to Nana and down throw to Popo in my opinion

Use Fthrow to Nana, Bthrow to Popo.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Don't back throw to Nana and down throw to Popo in my opinion

Use Fthrow to Nana, Bthrow to Popo.
Okay I like that idea haha, I thought that was one of the ones Lain frequented but I could never get it. One last question.

Any advice on getting off Nana's meteor fair offstage? The only time I can get it is if I get a grab on the ledge so I can just down throw to fair.

DeLux

Don't worry about doing that so much.

You have guaranteed kills from grab >_>

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry about doing that so much.

You have guaranteed kills from grab >_>
That's true haha I just need to practice my timing, I can do fairly well against DK, which is good because my Pit can't seem to fair well against DKs for some reason, and I can do fairly well against Pit haha. Well thank y'all I'm off to go practice chain grabbing :)

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Wait. Are we actually NOT assuming this guy is a troll?
If you're talking about me I'm not trolling honest. I'm legitimately trying to improve both my ICs game, and my Pit game against ICs. I can get 4 or 5 forward throws followed by 1 back throw then I mess up, practicing on DK because he seems the easiest so far, and because he's who my friend mains and I like having a good card to play against him. Aren't you in the Pit threads too? You're picture looks familiar.

^I doubt anyone is trolling here except roller.

Okay, I have a very weird and dumbfounding question.

How do you play Ice Climbers without chain grabs? I imagine there is probably purposeful desynching involved, but the only desynch that seem useful is blizzard and ice block (I suppose ice block is useful).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
IC without chain grabs is like playing Lucario without aura. You just can't really do it and except to win.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
IC without chain grabs is like playing Lucario without aura. You just can't really do it and except to win.
I disagree, just the threat of the chaingrab lets you win. IC's are one of the best characters at zoning in the game, and uair beats basically everything you need it to. You can win with ics just walking around and IB/Blizz/uairing really. I've beaten several good/top players without grabbing them once, or completing a chaingrab.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I know FrozenHobo played ICs without CGs and had his share of success. You can expect(had to do it lol) to win if you know what you're doing and can bring yourself to outplay your opponent.

As a minor addendum, one can't expect to win even if you did use CGs unless you already know you can outplay your opponent. ;)

Smoom77

Smash Master
If you plan to play without CGs, don't tell your opponent. As stated, the most amazing part of ICs is the fear of the grab. If they don't have that fear anymore, then you are just barely better than Sopo.

It feels like one should learn to play ICs without chain grab so you are not so chain grab happy at first. I think of it like trying to learn calculus without knowing algebra.

Smoom77

Smash Master
But if you learned ICs without grab, then you'd have to integrate your grab game after you've already solidified your play style. That's like telling Falco's not to use lasers when learning.

But I do understand what you mean. But people need to have self-control and be able to practice desyncs before CGs.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
^I doubt anyone is trolling here except roller.

Okay, I have a very weird and dumbfounding question.

How do you play Ice Climbers without chain grabs? I imagine there is probably purposeful desynching involved, but the only desynch that seem useful is blizzard and ice block (I suppose ice block is useful).
My favorite thing to do to wrack damage (Idk if it's what any of the good IC players would recommend) is to over b into my opponent followed by tilts, usually up tilt twice then up air or back air. But they can rack damage damage really well without it, which is why I don't see cg as that great, the sliding up smash works with mind games, and if you a chance to punish. Also desynced up smash when they are air dodging to land, they dodge one and get hit by the other.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
is there any good tricks or gimmicks on ps1 that IC's have? I absolutely hate this stage but I feel like there has to be something that IC's can use to their advantage.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
I'm having a hard time with Popo back throw to Nana, I'm having a few issues here and would definitely like some advice. Sometimes when I back throw Nana rolls instead of grabbing, I think this is because maybe I'm pressing my shield to early? Other times she grabs in the wrong direction, like she'll walk the right way and then turn around to and grab towards Popo instead of the character I threw, this happens both when I hold the throw direction, and when I let it go and I don't even have a guess as to why. It seems to be easier to get the back throw when I forward throw to Nana, then to Popo, then try the backthrow, But I can by no means do it consistently. Does anyone have any advice?

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a hard time with Popo back throw to Nana, I'm having a few issues here and would definitely like some advice. Sometimes when I back throw Nana rolls instead of grabbing, I think this is because maybe I'm pressing my shield to early? Other times she grabs in the wrong direction, like she'll walk the right way and then turn around to and grab towards Popo instead of the character I threw, this happens both when I hold the throw direction, and when I let it go and I don't even have a guess as to why. It seems to be easier to get the back throw when I forward throw to Nana, then to Popo, then try the backthrow, But I can by no means do it consistently. Does anyone have any advice?
When you backthrow to nana she is pivot grabbing. Think of it like that. When she rolls you pressed grab and back at the same time. when she grabs the other way you pressed grab before you back threw. Just practice more, it takes awhile to get down. by awhile I don't mean a week or two either I mean a verrry long time.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I can tell you why Nana does what she does, but the only remedy for these things is practice. x.x

@Part in red: I'm assuming that you're shield buffering (just due to the last sentence highlighted) though what I think it is doesn't really change either way. You may be pressing the grab button too early. There's a certain time after dropping your shield and after whiffing a grab where the grab button acts as a shield button, if that happens and you're inputting a direction then Nana will roll.

@Part in blue: I'm assuming the throw is softturned due to the nature of this happening. This happens due to the flip mechanics, when you do a back throw as popo, at the minimum (may be moredepending on character weight and if you're holding the control stick in the throw direction after it's registered) nana changes direction three times. She'll turn the way you input the control stick at first, but right afterward she'll flip back towards the position before you began the throw, that's because at that point the game recognizes Popo as still facing the direction you were facing before you started the bthrow, once Popo's arm reaches the arc of the throw, the game will then recognize Popo as have finally changed direction and then Nana will flip again to the direction that you want her to grab. You'll just have to get accustomed to the timing associated with Nana's last flip for each character during the throw.

So uhh... practice o. o

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
I can tell you why Nana does what she does, but the only remedy for these things is practice. x.x

@Part in red: I'm assuming that you're shield buffering (just due to the last sentence highlighted) though what I think it is doesn't really change either way. You may be pressing the grab button too early. There's a certain time after dropping your shield and after whiffing a grab where the grab button acts as a shield button, if that happens and you're inputting a direction then Nana will roll.

@Part in blue: I'm assuming the throw is softturned due to the nature of this happening. This happens due to the flip mechanics, when you do a back throw as popo, at the minimum (may be moredepending on character weight and if you're holding the control stick in the throw direction after it's registered) nana changes direction three times. She'll turn the way you input the control stick at first, but right afterward she'll flip back towards the position before you began the throw, that's because at that point the game recognizes Popo as still facing the direction you were facing before you started the bthrow, once Popo's arm reaches the arc of the throw, the game will then recognize Popo as have finally changed direction and then Nana will flip again to the direction that you want her to grab. You'll just have to get accustomed to the timing associated with Nana's last flip for each character during the throw.

So uhh... practice o. o
You just became one of my favorite people in the world :) Thank you so much for going into so much detail. That makes sense, also thank you for the organization of your post as it helped to really understand exactly what you were saying.

The only thing I noticed, and I'm not sure if it changes anything, but I don't use a grab button, it's not even mapped on my control scheme, I grab with Shield + Attack, but I would probably still roll with my timing I think.

Since I'm here I'd also like to ask another question, what do y'all think is the most efficient/easiest to maintain chain grab on DK, on Ness, and on Lucario?

Against Lucario I like to Popo down throw with a Nana spike, with ice blocks when needed, and at 100% back throw to Nana and charge up smash.

Against Ness I like to forward throw to the edge and then Nana spike off stage.

Against DK I like back throw to Nana forward throw to Popo and repeat.

And finally, is it possible to consistently hit DK with the Nana spike out of down throw? Every time I try (with two exceptions in the last two days) she just sends him flying forward.

DeLux

You should probably avoid using throws > Fair as they aren't guaranteed due to various including SDI and Teching.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
You should probably avoid using throws > Fair as they aren't guaranteed due to various including SDI and Teching.
Okays, I have a really hard time with back throw and forward throw on the lighter characters, so I tend to rely on the down throw mostly.

Oh!!! What are good spacing moves for the climbers? I like bair, nair, ftilt, and dtilt. Blizzard also seems like it works against most aerial approaches. But what are some things you guys do for spacing? And what de-synced spacing seem most effective?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Nair isn't that good for spacing. replace that with uair. F-tilt and d-tilt are unsafe, but people will be so paranoid of punishing you could probably get it in.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Nair isn't that good for spacing. replace that with uair. F-tilt and d-tilt are unsafe, but people will be so paranoid of punishing you could probably get it in.
Ohh okay, I like the tilt because it's fairly fast and hits people that just barely get out of grab range, but if I started getting punished for it I'd probably back off of it pretty quickly. I have a hard time hitting with the up air, but I really like alternating up tilt when I get it off. Does anyone know of any big tournaments in the New Mexico area?

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
so if I were to spike somebody off the side of the stage is it better to do Dthrow > Fair, or Fthrow> Fair. I know I have a guaranteed death chain grab but which throw is better for spiking.

Also here are some other questions that never got answered

is there any good tricks or gimmicks on ps1 that IC's have? I absolutely hate this stage but I feel like there has to be something that IC's can use to their advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHfuCHWzz4

has this ever happened to anybody? having their nana jump around in the middle of the stage while your trying to recover? I was pressing left (towards the middle of the stage) the whole time I was separated.

DeLux

You aren't doing the Dthrow Fair correctly, but don't bother with it since it's technically not guaranteed via SDI.

Keep practicing everything else and you'll make it

QWA

Smash Apprentice
@DeLux
I knew it looked weird... I shall keep practicing! I want to see how quickly I can learn everything, it looks fun.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord

They can grab release lock most characters (mainly big ones) on the earth part of PS1. Its way easier to do than CGing but it does very little damage. I wouldn't go to PS1 with ICs anyway. Every time the stadium switches it forces a grab release on anyone who has a grab :p.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
They can grab release lock most characters (mainly big ones) on the earth part of PS1. Its way easier to do than CGing but it does very little damage. I wouldn't go to PS1 with ICs anyway. Every time the stadium switches it forces a grab release on anyone who has a grab :p.
Not if you d-throw walk them to the edge. The silver part on the edge won't force a release.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Why is the IC's game so grab-focused?

That seems like an obvious troll-question, but allow me to explain. It seems as if the ICs numerous advantages are being overshadowed by a grab-happy attitude toward ICs. Rather than winning their games, the IC players allow their opponents to lose (if that makes sense). This seems like it will hurt the IC metagame long-term as players become more and more adept at avoiding the mistakes which lead to grabs.

*shrug* I was just curious, so I wanted to get y'all's thoughts.

:phone:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey IC players, since I'm so new to this character, what desyncs should I practice first? And how does one perform them?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Why is the IC's game so grab-focused?

That seems like an obvious troll-question, but allow me to explain. It seems as if the ICs numerous advantages are being overshadowed by a grab-happy attitude toward ICs. Rather than winning their games, the IC players allow their opponents to lose (if that makes sense). This seems like it will hurt the IC metagame long-term as players become more and more adept at avoiding the mistakes which lead to grabs.

*shrug* I was just curious, so I wanted to get y'all's thoughts.

:phone:
The IC players always seem to overexert themselves in terms of getting grabs. If they THINK they can punish with a grab, they will go for it instead of like...f-tilting because the risk-reward is still pretty worth it. You will see as the players get better they start using ICs other options more UNTIL the opponent makes a mistake, such as 9b, vinnie, and myself. We normally just play a spacing/poking game until they are close enough that we can try to grab them.

Top Bottom