• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
The list of characters I played went as such

D3
D3/Lucario
D3/Olimar
D3/Olimar/Wario
D3/Wario
D3/ICs
Wolf
D3/MK/ICs
Falco
D3/MK/ICs/Falco
D3/ICs/Wario

Now its

D3/MK/ICs *Depending on whom i fight I can use just about everyone except Toon Link lol*

Roller

Smash Legend
So a while back in some thread idk whether it was here, or in the kirby boards discussion of the mu, I remember seeing someone say we could grab release Kirby to UpB. I've been messing around with this, and it seems to work sometimes, but only when they DI the right way. Is this guaranteed? And if so can someone put a video of it up/explain what exactly to do in detail?

I've been trying releasing with nana (at kill percent) and taking a step or 2 up with popo and upBing. Should I be jumping, pressing upB at a specific visual point, etc?

ch33s3

Smash Lord
So a while back in some thread idk whether it was here, or in the kirby boards discussion of the mu, I remember seeing someone say we could grab release Kirby to UpB. I've been messing around with this, and it seems to work sometimes, but only when they DI the right way. Is this guaranteed? And if so can someone put a video of it up/explain what exactly to do in detail?

I've been trying releasing with nana (at kill percent) and taking a step or 2 up with popo and upBing. Should I be jumping, pressing upB at a specific visual point, etc?
It only kills ~8% earlier, just finish the CG. It's one more throw.

B0NK

Smash Lord
^^^this

He showed me that **** when Plank was still hosting brawl tourneys at his place LOL xD

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
GIMR made a video for it o.O? lol I made this up on my own in 2008 and have used it against like every kirby I've played :p. It's just a flashy thing for fun, no point in doing it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm pretty sure it only works on Kirby. Every other character can force a ground break.

Edit: Sweet I found it before GIMR :p. Well at least before he posted that video lol.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
GIMR's vid says it works on olimar, ness, and yoshi as well apparently. But it seems to work on Wario..
Wario can force a ground break trust me. I played against PhantomX like every week for over a year.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
LOL, who cares who discovered it first.

For example. I discovered Diddy's foot stool infinite and posted about in the Diddy boards a year before the Japanese posted a video about it. I didn't care

I discovered D3 had pivot grab infinites a year and a half before a vid was made by a Japanese player, but didn't release it because I knew it didn't work after 5 d-throws(because it stales) and was thus useless. I don't care that he got the credit.

I'm not gonna lie though, if I discover something really important I want my credit. But in the end no one will remember who discovered it, people will only remember who is famous for using it in tourney

-NL-Miyavi

Smash Cadet
I was watching the PSC vid the otherday and was thinking can IC grab MK out of nado with PSC? It requires a 6 frame grab to pull it off but i can find ICs grab data .__.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
You can grab MK from a regular powershield. =/

I still am not seeing the "potential" that everyone thinks this technique has, because its just what we've been doing.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
You can grab MK from a regular powershield. =/

I still am not seeing the "potential" that everyone thinks this technique has, because its just what we've been doing.
It really isn't useful for icies since MK tornados high against us anyways

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
I have a question... What's the desync called where Popo Ftilts and Nana charges a smash? I messed up my turn around desync and pressed and held A instead of B.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This is a question that I want to ask from IC mains:

I main MK, but I have had my secret pocket IC's for a year now.
I can do many different desynchs, I can CG pretty well and I know the character well outside of those too.

So many of you say it's stupid to play IC outside of a main. Well I have a few MU's where I do much better with IC. Like Diddy Kong. Is it a bad idea to practice IC for those few MU's? Would make CG a lot easier since you gonna only need it for a select few MU's and it eliminates the threath of Diddy Kong on FD against me.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
It sort of depends how in depth you're looking to get into the character. If you look at it from match up to match up, I personally think it would be totally viable. Will you be the greatest IC ever at those particular match ups though? Probably not. But as long as it's winning for you that's all that matters.

I think a good example of this type of use of ICs is Atomsk versus Olimar. Does he know all the new metagame developments that have come up lately? No. He at one point admitted that all he does is Uair and Grab things. He didn't mention he uses desync blizzard for that particular match up, but you get the idea.

From this standpoint, the way the metagame has been going in the US for the IC's, simple is better. I probably know the fastest way to get to a grab set up out of any given situation possible. Does that make me the greatest Ice Climber ever? No. In reality, I'm pretty terrible at this game. Which indicates what you know doesn't matter as much as how you use it.

If you use what's important for specific matchups (ie. desync blizzard olimar, jam Diddy's banana game) you'll already be using the character to what it's good for anyways. A majority of what you'll miss by not "maining" the character is like 5% of the utility of the character. The other 95% is easily learned and practiced. It might look rough, but refined doesn't matter if you're winning.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I use Desynch Blizzard against Oli and Nanner tricks against Diddy to get grabs.
I guess if I can win I should play. I am the only one who can do **** with this char in my area.
I can't beat Diddy with MK for some reason. I tried IC for lulz and I won easily.

Thanks for the tips anyways.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I am a bad person and I will doublepost intentionally. May a mod have revenge on me.

Now, what is shieldbuffering and how to do it and how it helps?
I heard it from Lux once, but I forgot already.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
You buffer a shield. Simple as that. Im guessing you mean during a cg, so you hold grab after nana's dthrow, which buffers a shield and slides nana closer to you. This saves like 30 ish frames

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ah, can it be only done from a dthrow? Sometimes I notice Nana goes too far and it messes up my CG. Is there a thread or a guide somewhere for this? I am willing to learn more :)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Ah, can it be only done from a dthrow? Sometimes I notice Nana goes too far and it messes up my CG. Is there a thread or a guide somewhere for this? I am willing to learn more :)
If Nana is going too far, it means you're most likely grabbing on the late frames during a bthrow transfer from Popo to Nana.

Instead of doing a pivot grab, she does a dash grab.

The easiest way to correct this is to have popo dash in Nana's direction. For the most part, a dash by popo will correct the spacing mistake. Your opponent will get more frames to mash, but it won't a result in a 100% loss of a cg.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I prefer BF for basically all matchups, but I know I shouldn't use BF on olimar lol. I'm trying to use FD more.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I prefer BF as well. FD gives people a chance to think. On BF they have to move and plan out stuff and prepare for the change ups of your character. Plus, it's fun having a Climber placed on a platform and one under it and blizzard walling.

Top Bottom