• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Sieguest

Smash Master
BF sucks. FD is the best.
For obvious reasons...
\Obvious troll

Being serious though I don't prefer either over another objectively. It basically comes down to what MU I'm going to be playing that sways which way I would want to go.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I love FD in friendlies when it gets randomed. However, I have yet to play it on a tournament set of real importance because if I'm playing well it gets banned faster than I ban all those stupid anti IC stages.

I hate YI. I used to ban it in tourney for the longest time until I realized nobody would CP me there.

Has anyone thought about using Dsmash instead of Usmash as vertical CG finisher? I've been playing around with it lately, especially because Usmash OoS is such a viable kill option as SoPo, every little bit to keep that move fresh would help I feel.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just use fsmash if you don't want to use usmash. It's not like it matters anyways, you aren't going to be killing them at 0% with usmash so it will be fresh by the time they are in kill % again.

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
I remember seeing GodIsMyRock post something about a pocket DQ. What is it? O.o

Edit: I also wanted to know, is Dair any good for momentum canceling? I heard it automatically initiates a fastfall...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Do you think it's better to kill Dedede with fsmash after a CG? He dies so late from the top D:

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Do you think it's better to kill Dedede with fsmash after a CG? He dies so late from the top D:
yea fsmash him because he is killed easy horizontaly unless he DI's up.
Make it unexcpceted.
Spiking him is also good if hes at a high enough percent.Keep in mind that he dosnt have MK's recovery.
fthrow to nanas spike.

DeLux

Spiking him is also good if hes at a high enough percent.Keep in mind that he dosnt have MK's recovery.
fthrow to nanas spike.
SDI says no, don't do that. Tech also says bad idea. Remember the good old days when we used to have debates over things like "Fair spike or Usmash finshers" or "CG vs. Hobble"?

Being lazy and spiking against people might as well be a dropped grab, especially in my area.

If he's at high percents, and you're at the edge of the level, there's no reason to be going for a spike. Except in weird situations where you can't CG (i.e. time limit, stage hazards, item hazards like nades, THE CORNERS OF YI [spacing bthrow on ramps is dumb], etc)

2-DJeff

Smash Master
SDI says no, don't do that. Tech also says bad idea. Remember the good old days when we used to have debates over things like "Fair spike or Usmash finshers" or "CG vs. Hobble"?

Being lazy and spiking against people might as well be a dropped grab, especially in my area.

If he's at high percents, and you're at the edge of the level, there's no reason to be going for a spike. Except in weird situations where you can't CG (i.e. time limit, stage hazards, item hazards like nades, THE CORNERS OF YI [spacing bthrow on ramps is dumb], etc)
true Because i was just playing my bro and he SDI'd the spike.
Also i remeber playing Ramen and he was mashing L&R and he tech the side of the stage at 130%.
so scratch that LzR. use f-smash. :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I sometimes use the spike, because players here suck at teching. I always tell them how to beat it thought, so they may eventually learn. And they usually ask me why I don't spike more often. I say them that it sucks, they are like wtf. But anyways, I learned that fthrow is easier to do than dthrow in a CG for me and it's easier to do on platforms.

But heavies are so hard to CG >_>

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Which CG is best for dealing with middleweights and heavyweights? For the moment I've been using Hobbling but I'm not sure. Also when is it considered desirable or a good choice to Hobble an opponent?

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
you cant hobble everywhere so its best to avoid relying on it if you can

i do Fthrow/Bthrow for my chaingrabs and unfortunately i just had to learn that on every weight class

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Consider yourself a ******, because it doesn't exist.

Only way you can have a pocket Ice Climber is if you mained them before then went to a different character. (i.e Meep)

EDIT: <3 Future
youre quite wrong

-is living proof :awesome:

i randomly go them and am quite consistent- check me vs dabuz on youtube lol

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
i randomly go them and am quite consistent- check me vs dabuz on youtube lol
The only result of icies I get when I searched orion vs dabuz I get is a match where you got timed out. :awesome:

Nice Try though. <3 Your MK though Orion.

Really, what is the reason for a pocket Ice Climbers when you have ****ING METAKNIGHT?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Vinnie and Atomsk both use IC's as a pocket character for specific match-ups(mainly mk's and olimars lol).

Anyone can have a pocket ic's, it just takes more work than other characters. Having preconceived notions of things that will or wont work will just lead you away from growth and creativity.

ZTD | TECHnology

Personally, I like the idea of pocket ICs since they cover all of my bad MUs with my two current characters. Though I'm not that welll versed with them I've had a lot of luck CPing them against problem characters, Mine certainly aren't refined or pretty looking like Lain's but the point of them is to get the job done. The concept of a pocket character doesn't change just because its ICs.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Personally, I like the idea of pocket ICs since they cover all of my bad MUs with my two current characters. Though I'm not that welll versed with them I've had a lot of luck CPing them against problem characters, Mine certainly aren't refined or pretty looking like Lain's but the point of them is to get the job done. The concept of a pocket character doesn't change just because its ICs.
Of course you have a pocket ICs. Silly Michigander.

DeLux

Whoa Whoa Whoa Pump the Brakes. Lain has pretty climbers?

If I had to vote prettiest climbers of 2010, my vote goes to Hylian. I mean, winning talks, but I learn more from watching Hy play than High play :)

Lain is freaking ridiculous too though, don't get me wrong. He's REALLY freaking good.

Does anyone know how to make nana pivot grab forward when desynced? I can only make her pivot grab backwards no matter what input I do.

ZTD | TECHnology

Of course you have a pocket ICs. Silly Michigander.
It was either that or pocket Metaknight. I hate Metaknight so it was a no brainer lol. Everyone in MI has either pocket MK or ICs..we're like a real state now :awesome:

@Lux: Admittedly I haven't really watched Hylian play except at the last SIIS but he was sick and it looked like he was a little off. But Lain's ICs when he's playing well look pretty smooth at times. I just know mine are so janky lol. I'd like to refine them..

Man mastering the timing for this B-Throw to D-Throw on middleweights is rough. :(

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Does anyone know how to make nana pivot grab forward when desynced? I can only make her pivot grab backwards no matter what input I do.
I still dont like Hylians as much as Smoom. Smoom gets prettiest and most improved of 2010 imo.

I'd like to know that question as well.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
It was either that or pocket Metaknight. I hate Metaknight so it was a no brainer lol. Everyone in MI has either pocket MK or ICs..we're like a real state now :awesome:

@Lux: Admittedly I haven't really watched Hylian play except at the last SIIS but he was sick and it looked like he was a little off. But Lain's ICs when he's playing well look pretty smooth at times. I just know mine are so janky lol. I'd like to refine them..

Man mastering the timing for this B-Throw to D-Throw on middleweights is rough. :(
I do dthrow > fthrow loop into bthrow > fthrow, works wonders on middleweights. Well for me anyways. I save bthrow > dthrow for lightweight floatier characters like Kirby/MK/Pikachu/Pit/Squirtle/Olimar

ZTD | TECHnology

I should try that.

For lightweights I can B-Throw into D-Throw with pretty good consistency.

For lighter-middle weights I've been doing the same thing though its a tad trickier.

For middleweights I am a loss here so I'll try that.

For heavyweights...eh I've been hobbling more than I should lol I need to find a better method <_<

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I should try that.

For lighter-middle weights I've been doing the same thing though its a tad trickier.

For heavyweights...eh I've been hobbling more than I should lol I need to find a better method <_<
For me:

Floaty Lightweights- Bthrow > Dthrow/Sometimes Bthrow > Bthrow freestyle. Olimar occasionally gets Bthrow > Fthrow. The Pikmin get in the way when I do Bthrow > Dthrow and screw up my spacing.

Lightweight Fastfallers aka Fox - Dthrow chain > Bthrow > Fthrow.

Middleweights- Dthrow > Fthrow starter Bthrow > Fthrow.

Heavyweights- Dthrow > Fthrow loop Bthrow > Fthrow > Dthrow > Fthrow loop. Sometimes I'll do Fthrow > Fthrow loops.

Roller

Smash Legend
I should try that.

Find a way to AA tonight and I can help you out a bit.

ZTD | TECHnology

I'll try but Gifts isn't driving tonight so I don't know of any way out there lol. I could use your help though as I am having a few roadblocks. <_<

ZTD | TECHnology

Why the hell am I more consistent with ICs CG when I'm drunk? It makes no sense at all. I could not zero to death Diddy for the life of me today when I was sober and now I can barely articulate this message and I'm doing it perfectly. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much in my natural state.

ZTD | TECHnology

True, its just that I would think that it would have a negative effect on my technical ability. I never realized how much power my mindset had over my ability to perform until recently. A friend of mine suggested, I should do tournies with a little bit to drink in me...I'm somewhat tempted to. I usually get pretty nervous in sets otherwise..:(

B0NK

Smash Lord
Well I can CG consistently when I'm drunk.... but I have to say "bye bye," to power shielding >.<

ZTD | TECHnology

I focus way harder when I've had alcohol in my system and I'm really conscious of what's happening. I'm not sure if it effects my tech skill in other areas but it makes me play weird. To the point where half the time I don't even know what I'm going to do so how can my opponent know? Lol...

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I focus way harder when I've had alcohol in my system and I'm really conscious of what's happening. I'm not sure if it effects my tech skill in other areas but it makes me play weird. To the point where half the time I don't even know what I'm going to do so how can my opponent know? Lol...
Can't have habits if you're completely ****ing random.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So yeah, I play IC quite a lot sometimes. My problem is that always I get ***** by random character who do nothing but spam random smashes and one of the climbers always gets in the way.

I think it's because 90% I play I just spam desynch blizzard and ice blocks.

Should I actually use stuff like bair and nair more? I generally just spam my specials like they worked all the time.

What is the general approach? Which is the most reliable way to do it? When should I not be desynched and so on...

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
nair is like the best move in the game, def use it more. in fact all of our aerials are amazing, even fair/dair in certain (very specific) situations.

Top Bottom