• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea haha

the spacing is pretty simple once you figure it out though

marth plays a lot of matchups trying to DD and grab, but it's the exact opposite with ic's. just gotta space fairs and nairs and dtilt and don't whiff stupid ftilts/fsmash in order to get grabbed

don't mess with the projectiles too much and just find the right angles to approach

idk the matchup is simple once both players find the right moves. then it becomes a spacing battle, and i don't think there are many mixups needed for either character to win. ic's, however, do have the freedom to make gutsy approaches after an ice block

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
^Try to SH Fair over the D-tilt if he does it a lot. Then, when he starts to mix it up with fair/f-smash, roll behind him. Marth is probably the high tier that has the hardest time punishing rolls unless he gets the read.
Also, try to tilt you shield down when you're shielding a d-tilt. Tilting your shield is very good against Marth in general. Tilt it down when you're on a platform to avoid getting hit by the tip of u-tilt/u-air/ f-smash. Tilt it slightly up and forward if you think he is going to f-smash/fair when you stand on the ground ect.

Btw, are Wobbles and Trail by any chance teaming at The Big House 2?
I'd love to see 4 of the best ICs players in a 2v2 match all using ICs. On Mute City.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh... I forget that fair is a move sometimes... Its kinda slow so I only use it in a few situations, but yea that makes sense, I'll try doing that more ^^

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
To bring back an old topic, I generally like dthrow -> fsmash more than fthrow -> fsmash since dthrow lasts longer and hence lets you charge the smash more. If the opponent isn't mashing and lets you get it fully charged either way, then I can see fthrow being better.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Fly: The difference in smash charge difference is less than the difference between the f-throw/d-smash damage. Even if you got NO charge, f-throw would still be better damage-wise.

On lighter characters you also get more charge time anyhow, so the point is moot.

F-throwwwww ;_;

Binx

Smash Master
Vs spacies that DI dthrow dair away, can you dthrow dair, then wavedash where they would roll and get a regrab?

Also vs Marths Ftilt you just need to lightshield it and let it push you to a safer range, or hard call it and fair him. If he calls your fair though he can fsmash you out of the jump so careful with that. I assume you could bait that with a jump then airdodge through him but I think he could turn and fthrow you real quick without you being able to do anything if he reacted fast enough. Not 100% sure though.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
If so, you can try to bait the shine with dash dance -> grab/smash after the roll. I think grab outranges the shine too.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Its just harder to be technically consistent with the ICs.
They are difficult to control, but their punishes are crazy good.
Its partly why I like the character so much <3

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I 2stocked a falso that normally 3 stocks me in friendlies today. it was really spastic, i just stuck to smashes jabs and bair/uair.
dsmash is really good

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Vs spacies that DI dthrow dair away, can you dthrow dair, then wavedash where they would roll and get a regrab?

Also vs Marths Ftilt you just need to lightshield it and let it push you to a safer range, or hard call it and fair him. If he calls your fair though he can fsmash you out of the jump so careful with that. I assume you could bait that with a jump then airdodge through him but I think he could turn and fthrow you real quick without you being able to do anything if he reacted fast enough. Not 100% sure though.
Falco needs SDI to escape, so it's more of a Fox problem.

In my experience Foxes tend to hold away on the control stick and down on the c-stick which buffers a spotdodge (I think you might still be able to regrab if they roll because it's a few frames slower).

I've posted it a few times already but b-throw -> f-air is a pretty cool way to punish this sort of DI. You can also d-throw d-air and just run farther than you normally would, but that's way riskier if they SDI or if they don't hold away (you could get shined or u-smashed).

Wobbles: Is that really true? I thought f-throw does like 3% more than d-throw, and charged smashes do a lot more damage than uncharged smashes (although like you said you still get a partial charge on f-throw)...

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Dthrow is good for possibly early kills due to fast throwanimation. Fthrow for guarantied kill maybe (someone should test and list this).

Posting due to dthrow has the possibility of Nana walking forward, getting the reversehit on fsmash.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Undecayed, F-throw does 11 percent. D-throw does 6.

On a Doc at 0 percent, grab -> headbutt -> charging f-smash -> f-throw -> release = 30 damage. The d-throw version does 24. Might be related to partial percents. I used training mode and SD'ed in between every attempt to reset decay.

The thing is, your f-throw will do LESS if you don't do it properly because it deals its damage in two parts. You have to time the smash release so it gets them after the f-throw has done its second hit. So the timing is stricter, but the damage is higher. And on lighter characters where f-throw lasts longer, you'll get more charge time as well.

Also useful is f-throw -> running u-smash. That's way easier than timing the d-throw u-smash on the trickier floaties when they DI away (Samus, Luigi, Puff).

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Just thought you guys might be interested in our pools at Big House 2:

[collapse="Pool 2"]
Apasher
Bidwell
Bieber
Blake
Corkus
Gracen
Kels
Nintendude
[/collapse]
[collapse="Pool 5"]
1der
BlueEG
Bolt
Crooked
Dre
Fly Amanita
jbro
ORLY
[/collapse]
[collapse="Pool 12"]
hellsing
Kzez
Lagoon
PGH Carroll
Slox
Trail
Unknown522
Zbet
[/collapse]
I've honestly never even heard of anyone in my pool besides Kels lol
I'm curious to see how Trail does vs. unknown. Unknown has stomped me the past few times I've played him and I really think his style just counters mine.

Kaffie

Smash Rookie
I'm suspecting that this question have come up before, but I haven't found an answer to it so I'll just ask it anyways: Is there any way to controll or predict the direction of Nana's throw?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hey nintendude, be gentle with mah boy bidwell (.dempt) ;)

His spacies aren't very good at the IC mu but he always ***** me with his marth :'(

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
The only time you "control" where Nana throws (AFAIK) is with regards to the edge. If she's close enough to an "edge" (and sometimes that involves weird slopes and parts of certain stages, like Brinstar and PS), she'll try to throw them off that edge with b-throw or f-throw.

Another neat thing to know is that (I don't know the exact cause of it still trying to figure it out) when Nana up-throws certain characters underneath certain platforms, she automatically forces them onto the ground of those platforms. It's weird. I should test it on all the neutrals. I have a lot of free time today.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Here's a short list of the u-throw auto-grounding effect.

THINGS TO NOTE: You can't get an up-throw under Yoshi's platform because it's too close to the edge; if you're under it, Nana will always throw to the edge. FoD's side platforms are too variable and hard to test so I didn't bother (except for Marth). At max height they have the highest odds, I think. I also wasn't too specific with percent, but I don't think it matters (much). Pokemon Stadium was only tested in neutral.

Marth: Yoshi's, FoD (max height side platform, not middle), Battlefield sides, DL64 sides.
Falcon: Pokemon Stadium sides, Battlefield Sides, DL64 sides.
Peach: Yoshi's, FoD (middle), BF side.
Sheik: Yoshi's, FoD (middle), BF side, DL side.
Ganon: Pokemon Stadium sides, BF side, DL64 side.
Doc: YS, FoD (middle)
Samus: PS, BF side, DL side.
Fox/Falco: None ;_;

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Wobbles I has question:
I was practicing handoff stuff against a lvl 1 DK on yoshi's on the right platform at the very edge of the platform (facing killzone) and I was doing the handoff (I'd done 3 or 4 regrabs?) and then i'd handed it to nana and she backthrew him...
Why did this happen?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Did she slide backwards? Because sometimes when Nana grabs big characters near the ledge, it pushes her away, and I guess if she slides far enough she might b-throw.

john!

Smash Hero
trail and i are pretty much the only ic players in the MW

my advice would be "pick FD" but that's my my advice for everything so it might not serve you too well

trail's advice would probably be something about manning up and using ganondorf

so i think you're out of luck :(

edit: i don't think kels has much experience escaping chaingrabs since trail doesn't really chaingrab and i'm not good enough to grab kels

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
.vanir; I've had that experience when Nana is completely at the edge of the platform when she gets her grab. It almost NEVER happens but it seems like the game thinks she isn't on it anymore, so she just does something weird instead. I'm not 100% sure.

Grim Tuesday: It's happened to me too, I just have no real idea why. Like I said, I think it occurs in situations where Nana appears to be "off the platform" or past the edge.

Nintendude: Wobble him and watch him complain about it on SWF later.

For real though, poke and try to slowly obtain ground. Don't over reach and push yourself onto platforms unless you've got a guaranteed hit. From what I remember of playing, against ICs he mostly dips down into shines, then double jumps, runs a lot, and pokes with b-air. He'll go into attack mode but he's willing to run away from an advantageous situation to stay safe and hit with more b-airs and shines rather than fully commit to a finish.

In short, he'll camp your balls off then complain about how you play.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Correct. I'll be doing commentary all day long though.
I've wanted to have a serious set or session with you since APEX 2012 (we couldn't find a TV). So... this is me politely challenging you to a MM. $10 Bo5 MBR recommended ruleset. No character lock - if you wanna bust out Mario fine but be warned. I've got Shroomed & Unknown practice.

If you'd prefer a bunch of seriouslies that's cool too. I just really want to play you and test my skills vs arguably the best ICs on the planet. I also really want to develop the MU further for Sheik - I feel it's one of her least developed MUs and I don't think it's nearly as bad as I thought it was in like 2010-2011. I'm also just itching to play good people in general lately :p

So help me get me fix :p

Top Bottom