• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Game Discussion Thread

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
MIKE JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONES.

My favorite 5 genres

5) FPS (**** TPS)
4) Party Games (Bomberman, Worms, Kart Racers, etc)
3) Fighters
2) Puzzle games
1) RPGs (More specifically, sRPGS. I probably could do a Fav 5 RPG genres)

My favorite 5 RPG Genres

5) "Gimmick" rpgs *this isnt a real genre, but it's mostly turn based rpgs that have some gimmick to their battle system* (Grandia, Atelier Iris, Riviera, Mana-Khemia, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, etc)
4) Active Time RPGs (Chorno Trigger, Final Fantasy 4,5,6,7,(etc), etc)
3) Puzzle RPGs (Legend of Zelda, Lufia, etc. This is practically a dead genre)
2) Action RPGs (Tales series, Star Ocean, Odin Sphere, Secret of Mana, etc)
1) Strategy RPGs (FFT, Nippon Ichi Series, Fire Emblem (although I havent played one), etc)

_

[Final Fantasy Rant]

Before I go on my rant, let me note that when I judge a rpg, the first thing I look at is the gameplay, period. To me, nothing else really matters in a game over how well the game plays and how fun it is, because in the end it's a game. If I wanted an rpg that has an awesome story but is easy/boring to play, i'd just go read a book. That's all it winds up being.

I'll play Grandia III all day with it's retardedly predictable story before I even look at Final Fantasy VII again. Yeah I went there, lets fight.

Anyway, I cant stand the Final Fantasy series now, excluding Tactics cause it was the srpg that got me hooked on the genre like crack. But the main series is GUAH!!! :(. The thing that I really cant stand is how Square constantly advertises that they have developed a new battle system, and they really dont do anything. Either that, or they have some other dumb system to go with it.

6 was the last one that was legit. I gotta play through it again cause I barely remember it. Kefka all day.

7's materia system? Lets be real, takes a majority of the strategy and planning out of the game. Anybody can realistically do anything. Aerith was your mage, that's where the difference between characters really stops.

8? Draw system? Come on. Junction was kinda dumb, but it wasnt the end of the world. Draw system? Come on. Lets just be real about this.

9. My only real beef with this is the ability system. I just flat out hate that ability system and I always will. Hated it in 9, hated it in FFTA, hated it in FFTA2, and will continue to hate it every time I see it. Nothing like wanting somebody to learn a useful skill by forcing them to wear crap armor. --shakes head--

10. 10 was legit until after some temple where you could farm ability spheres. Game went out the window at that point. Gameplay wise and advertising was what killed me in this. If you remember, Square was boasting so much about their awesome now "Count Time sytem".... **** IS JUST TRADITIONAL WITH PICTURES. WTF. TAKE THE GUESSWORK OUT OF WHAT HAPPENS IF I GO FOR FLARE RIGHT NOW, LULU AINT DOIN **** FOR 2 WEEKS.

11. For my main arguement, I really cant hate on 11 because you knew what it was before you got into it. The only gripe I have about 11 is that it's an MMO, and I personally despise MMOs for what they are and what they stand for. WoW sure as hell didnt help this case.

12? Lol. Gambit system. Lol. I actually havent played 12, but I sat over at my friends house and had a nice conversation with him with his controller was on the floor AS HE WAS BEATING THE LAST BOSS OF THE GAME. All FF12 really amounts to is an offline MMO with a better story. -sigh-

Now, people who want to acknowledge one more game's existance might be thinking "Um.. he left off X-2". What's really funny is that out of all the games I listed, I actually like playing X-2 the best. Now read what I said, i like playing it the best. It was a fast paced active time system. FAST paced. Now, X-2 actually went to the otherside and made me go against my standard. The story in X-2 is so fricking horrible that I have to fault it for it. Sigh. "We're just your friendly neighborhood Gullwings!" *grabs a gun*

Any other Final Fantasy game that's not in the series I like. Even FFTA and FFTA2 as much as I ***** and moan about both of them (dont get me started on FFTA. ******* law system. No Harm 2 Animals on a story mission where you cant run. *Story spoiler*
and you dont have antilaws yet
Get the **** out). I'll hop on some FF:CC all ****in day though (as long as I have one person to play with. Bump all that solo nonsense).

[/rant]

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
mike jones was baller.
favorite video game character ever.

infact i'm gonna change my avatar right now.

i've waited YEARS to stumble across a zoda's revenge NES cart.
boy I was happy.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Really?

I looked at it, but got turned off by the whole card thing.

Ever since I've played Yggdra Union on gba (omg i love that game so much), I've been waiting to try Baten Kaitos, but just keep forgetting.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Really?

I looked at it, but got turned off by the whole card thing.

Ever since I've played Yggdra Union on gba (omg i love that game so much), I've been waiting to try Baten Kaitos, but just keep forgetting.

It's pretty good... I was skeptical at first but the card thing isn't that random you pretty much get the cards you want when you need them

you have 7 cards then you can see what the next card is...and depending on the situation the next card changes

Baten Kaitos is kinda like 7 card stud you do extra damage for pairs and ect... it's pretty good and the only down side is that the voice acting is kinda....weak

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
LOL @ the FF hate! lol

but i'm pretty sure some MMOs out there had better storyline than 11 xD

and Grandia 2 all day. 3 well...

btw has anyone ever played terranigma for snes? That game is pretty dope.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Baten Kaitos Origins is a good game. Great VA, which I can't say about the original BK. Still, both games are really good, at least to me. Yes, the getting your deck together will get a little annoying, but it shouldn't deter you from playing.

Also - Tried play YU on GBA. Can't get into it. I hate those tactic games, and that one? That one confuses me, and I played for a few hours. The battles, it's like playing Rock/Paper/Scissors to me. :(

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I really enjoyed the battle network series up until 5. 5 was good, but the story just flopped so hard near the end.

AND FROM NOW ON I WILL ALWAYS USE THIS COLOR.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Baten Kaitos Origins is a good game. Great VA, which I can't say about the original BK. Still, both games are really good, at least to me. Yes, the getting your deck together will get a little annoying, but it shouldn't deter you from playing.

Also - Tried play YU on GBA. Can't get into it. I hate those tactic games, and that one? That one confuses me, and I played for a few hours. The battles, it's like playing Rock/Paper/Scissors to me. :(
I just got done with Origins...my only beef with it is the whole 3 people 1 deck system...but I was getting 50 hit combos so I don't care

in my opinion Baten Kaitos is the better game because of the multiple decks and the more than 3 characters but Origins is still way up there on my game list

wow now that I'm looking back on it...both games play quite differently

Zoro

Smash Champion
I've only really been playing N64 and Wiiware/VC games lately, but the ones I've played that I'd recommend are:

Mischief Makers (very fun platformer by Treasure for N64)
Jet Force Gemini (one of Rare's best 3rd person action adventure games for N64)
World of Goo (a physics based puzzle game for Wiiware, considered the best game for wiiware)
Mega Man 9 (a brand new megaman made for Wiiware,as well as psn and live arcade, that is just as fun and tough as the first ones)

:colorful:
Mischief makers is one of my favorite games :) i played it all the time when i was a kid
jet force was cool too

i went to gamestop and bought like 8 games for 5 bucks
Xenosaga 1 and 2
Final fantasy 10 and 12
Shinobi
Onimusha 1 2 3
Xenosaga is ok INFINITE CUTSCENES OMG LONG the storys pretty cool though
I just started playing FF 10 and i like it alot so far even though i hate all other ff games
i bought 12 too so ill see how that game is when i finish 10
Shinobi is alright
Onimusha 1 frustrated me so i went to 2 and beat it i liked it alot though it was super short now im playing 1 again.

Castlevania games are my favorite games ever metroid too

Aria of sorrow was my favorite then circle of the moon
im playing order of ecclessia right now its pretty cool im glad they ditched the anime thing. THE PS2 CASTLEVANIAS ARE HORRIBLE imo.

nevershootme

Smash Master
I've played too many games, even bizaare ones from japan...

i've played through all the FF games... except 1-5 cuz i never get to finish them or touch them :(

Dogy, i agree with some in the series going too obscure but i've still plowed through them like it's nothing... I've played FF11 for 2 years and it has it's ups and downs, until i switched to world of warcraft... Usually the story and challenge is what makes me enjoy the FF games... And really, the fanbase of 7 never stops, I walk into anime conventions and never stop seeing them kids cosplaying them...

Xenogears blows it out of proportion by making u sit for 30 minutes reading text with no fast forward button until u can switch to disc 2. which then is another 30 minute wait until u can start the game again!!!

Suikoden 2 is where it's at, I remember owning a copy, not realizing it was limited print and was going for 200 on ebay!!!!!! Im sad to this day

I blazed through Mass Effect in 10 hours clocked.

even games that make you work your mind alot... Aka shumps (shoot em up), ranging from contra to gradius, to even obscure japanese games like ibara or do don pachi. play through a session of a japanese shump and you'll see your eyes bleed out like a mofo and zoning, like an acid trip. bullets flying everywhere and pressing 1 pixel perfect to survive!.

I also play music games, Beatmania IIDX, Pop'n music, DDR, Rock band and guitar hero. to even one time playing this gaytastic music game...

image removed...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/ParaParaParadise_2ndMIX.jpg

you use your hands to play -_- and dance... it's DDR with obscurity...

in the end... the only game very few have heard for it's awesomeness, and it's a square game... Einhander! really there's more like vagrant story, front mission 1 and 3 (Try those games Dogy sicne you like strategy)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
LOL @ the FF hate! lol
but i'm pretty sure some MMOs out there had better storyline than 11 xD
and Grandia 2 all day. 3 well...
btw has anyone ever played terranigma for snes? That game is pretty dope.
Man. I cant help it. It dawned on me while I was playing through X-2 and was like "Man. Im about to puke at this ****ing story but I keep fighting people. Why cant I put it down." Then I thought back to playing FF7 when I had somebody cast KOTR while I went to take a piss. Then I would come back and have the next person cast or mime it while I went to the kitchen to make a snack. Then I'd have the 3rd person cast/mime while I get my snack out the microwave and grab a drink. First one does it while I eat, 2nd while I take out the trash. Etc etc.

The basic 3 weapons (sword, spear, axe) go in a rock/paper/scissors format, but you eventually wind up with a few other weapons that fill into the mix (Maybe this is the thing that turns me away from Fire Emblem? Lol).

The cards really do add alot to the game, imo. With good use, planning, and positioning (read: skill), you can actually beat bad matchups. (I dont care what anybody says, Yggdra can **** *****s off the sticks with Revolution. And then once you get Crusade it just becomes a little.. unfair).

I also play music games, Beatmania IIDX, Pop'n music, DDR, Rock band and guitar hero. to even one time playing this gaytastic music game...
Music games. Yay.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero, grr.

Guitar Hero... -contains himself-. I will save everybody from another dumb green wall of text and just say "**** Frequency with a guitar." That's all Guitar Hero is. Frequency with a guitar.

__

On a side note. I once beat Capcom vs SNK 2 on the hardest difficulty using the guitar controller. It was a spinoff of the guy who beat Soul Calibur on the hardest difficulty using a fishing rod controller. I need to do it again and record it.

Get my e-rep up.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Music games. Yay.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero, grr.

Guitar Hero... -contains himself-. I will save everybody from another dumb green wall of text and just say "**** Frequency with a guitar." That's all Guitar Hero is. Frequency with a guitar.

actually, although people can bash and hate it, even though i can't afford anything to properly play drummania. I actually play those games for the challenge (playing on expert levels), especially drums since i can't afford an actual drum set and my house is too small for one (which i will learn at some point for the hell of it as a luxary). i'm no scrub who blatingly selects eye of the tiger like everyone at a best buy does...

edit: evil_peach: Guardian heroes is the **** no matter what. I got lucky to play it alot back then at a cousin's place and play through all endings ith different choices. that game needs to be revived to something like xbox live arcade and psn (which they have castle crashers instead), but there's Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram coming soon (The mecha game with 2 sticks to control)

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Music games.....ffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I'd just say pick up a real guitar dammit, but hey.
whatever floats your boat and tickles your pickle.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I will admit, i do respect the drums of those music games. They really dont teach you anything about playing the instrument, but they do get you over the first big wall people have when learning set; getting your feet and hands moving independently.

I had to do that for my percussions method class in college. **** was not easy. So I do have a little respect for that.

Beyond that, -shakes head- na.

____

But I really came in here to make a dumb remark.

I was messin around in Soul Nomad and the World Eaters last night, and I would like to make a public service announcement.

F*** gypsys

Dumb *****es have a good matchup against the main character, that pisses me off so much. It's not that you get *****, gypsy's are just support characters, but heaven forbid if you want to kill one that's the same level as you.

*plot spoiler*
Also sucks whenever you have to fight Shauna, since she's a gypsy

That is all.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Favorite Mega Man anybody?

Mine's 8. Cause I can beat it without using a continue. Cause it's easy. I like easy. Makes me feel good about myself.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
Mega Man 2 *didn't see that coming did ya* Bubbleman theme is top tier

I like X6 cause that **** is stupid in terms of level design *effing Metal shark player*
X3 was hard in terms of boss fights *Sigma ***** me like Sheik on bowser*

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Mega Man 2 *didn't see that coming did ya* Bubbleman theme is top tier

I like X6 cause that **** is stupid in terms of level design *effing Metal shark player*
X3 was hard in terms of boss fights *Sigma ***** me like Sheik on bowser*
X6.

**** that game.

I started that **** last week, so I'ma turn it on and finish it.

And Media Shark Player? **** that Infinity ******, and that Katamari Damachi lookin-*** thing in the background.

F*** THAT WHOLE GAME IN THE EAR.

Master Raven

Smash Master
X4 > X5 > X8 = X3 > X1 = X2 > X6 > Brokencyde > X7

Yes, I really liked X8. **** you.

Also X6 would be a lot better if it weren't for the shoddy-*** level designs. I think the game's fun to play, just it has a lot of bull**** in it.

The MM series in general are my favorite game series, and Zero is my favorite video game character.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I've been playing Lumines on my PSP in my free time. Good game, and some funky music to boot. I wonder if theres a limit to how many skins can be unlocked.

As for my favorite Mega Man game . . . I couldn't really choose. I pretty much played them all at one time. I think MMX holds a special place in my heart as it was one of my first MM games I completed, even if MM1 was the first MM I had played. I played MM1 when I was so young, and it wasn't even my game - it was a friends, and I rarely went to him place. So playing MM1 was a short pleasure that I barely remember.

:/

Dogy, you post ALOT of stuff in your posts. Got too many thoughts that are rough to fit in one post, but do it anyway?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just bought The Legend of the Mystical Ninja for the N64 and Clayfighter for the SNES today.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
Anybody play Phoenix wright series ?

I know that the new one is coming out for Japan in May. Which means a US date shouldn't be to far off then.
Oh and you get to play as Edgeworth this time around but I have no idea howthe gameplay will be*apart from the standard ace attorney stuff*.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

Dogy, you post ALOT of stuff in your posts. Got too many thoughts that are rough to fit in one post, but do it anyway?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
As of late, i've just come to the conclusion that I like hearing myself talk or seeing myself type. It's pretty bad. Like, I dont really have anything to do except for look for jobs all day, so I just like talkin. It's pretty bad. XD

___

On a sidenote, I gotta start playing through something again. I borrowed Devil May Cry 4 from my friend again, but I cant find the willpower to take Soul Calibur 4 out of my 360 put it in.

I might wind up going to game depending on if i get HERB cancelled by my mom, so. >.>

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
So I'm looking for an action game in the vein of DMC, Ninja Gaiden and GoW. Preferably really hard

I know, those are hard to find but give me some some suggestions. I wanna press buttons really fast and **** stuff.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So I'm looking for an action game in the vein of DMC, Ninja Gaiden and GoW. Preferably really hard

I know, those are hard to find but give me some some suggestions. I wanna press buttons really fast and **** stuff.
If you like, GoW, Okami is pretty much like a too-cute-for-words Japanese version of that game. There's not so much pressing buttons really fast, and it's not particularly hard, but after you get to a certain point in the game, you can basically be stupidly OP and beat the **** out of stuff.

You can also make the game ridiculously hard if you decide never to use **** like Vengeance and Exorcism Slips, especially with bosses like Ninetails, Tube Foxes, and if you try to get Stray Bead 79. (I don't suggest doing that last one without at least some means of healing if you don't use any other items.)

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord

I have not played DMC, but I can assure you Ninja Gaiden 2 is balls to the wall hard, especially on the highest settings. The camera is kind of obnoxious at times, but for the most part the game is just flat out challenging. The only thing is some of the environments in the game aren't that pretty, the action effects and flashy fighting were noticeably the art team's focus.

The gamespot.com score for both games was the same (8.0) and I pretty much stick to their opinions when I'm looking at games (unless its a game I play for nostalgia) so if you are looking to compare the two I would suggest watching or reading the reviews on gamespot.

*Note: I just perused the review and they said that DMC4 is not the extremely challenging/frustrating game DMC3 was so if you are looking for difficult, go with Ninja Gaiden

If you like, GoW, Okami is pretty much like a too-cute-for-words Japanese version of that game. There's not so much pressing buttons really fast, and it's not particularly hard, but after you get to a certain point in the game, you can basically be stupidly OP and beat the **** out of stuff.

You can also make the game ridiculously hard if you decide never to use **** like Vengeance and Exorcism Slips, especially with bosses like Ninetails, Tube Foxes, and if you try to get Stray Bead 79. (I don't suggest doing that last one without at least some means of healing if you don't use any other items.)
Okami bored me to tears, honestly, I hate easy games and this was definitely not targeted and competitive gamers.

Master Raven

Smash Master
A bit late but as far as fave Mega Man games go:

Classic: 7
X: X4

I've played and enjoyed both Legends games and I can't say for certain which one I like more atm. I've played Zero 1 and loved it but I haven't gotten the chance to play the others. I even S-Ranked Zero 1 and posted a run of that on Stage6 long ago before they shut down :( **** Youtube.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
DMC3. -Shakes head-

I remember when my friend phillip finally let me borrow that game. And I tried the first level.

And got *****.

I was like "HOLY **** THEY STILL MAKE HARD GAMES." I forgot how long it took me to actually beat the that damage stage. On normal. After I got the hang of the game it went from "OMG WHY THE **** ARE YOU SO HARD" hard to "Man, this is gunna take a while."

... then you eventually get to Dante Must Die mode.

*sighs*
****ing went to the one-a-month schedule. Where if I could beat the next level in a month, I was happy. I failed a couple of times. XD

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord

*sighs*
****ing went to the one-a-month schedule. Where if I could beat the next level in a month, I was happy. I failed a couple of times. XD
Have you ever blown off bros/chicks bc you were playing a game?

Seriously though, only MMOs should take that much of your time (pity you if you play them though.)

Top Bottom