• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Game Discussion Thread

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So yeah, I was talkin at Zoro in another thread after already thinkin bout makin this one, so I was like "Why not just go ahead and drop it so people can talk about their stuff without steppin on people's toes."

And now we've got the general game discussion thread.

____

This is for talkin about anything with games.

1) Talk about what chya playin
2) Talk about what chya like, what chya dont like
3) Drop some reviews
4) Get some recommendations
5) Etc, etc.

Aside from the obvious "Keep your post relevant" so you dont get hit with a "x" point combo, there's one rule you need to keep in mind.

for no reason whatsoever can you post links to roms or emulators on here.
- You can talk about it all you like, but dont do it. You know Frames will come up in here and run a train on yo ***.

____

Lets go.

Frames

DI
word

to keep it straight let me tell you something i hate about games

when you have to do **** that the game never tells you to do but if you dont do it you miss out on like the best parts of that game

example:

ff12 - zodiac spear wtf you have to NOT open 4 random chests until the very end of the game and then you go back and open them and the best part is that they are in an obvious spot so the first thing you want to do is open da ****in chests thus ruining ur chances of getting it unless you want to go to some dumb place where u have a 1/1000 chance of getting it

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Heh, I hate that kinda stuff too. I dont really mind it so much if they tell you or hint at something that you have to do "that you've probably already done or past, so you have to play through the game", but if it's something that you'd have to do some off the wall thinking or backtracking for, that kinda drives me up the wall.

Like pretty much every game in the Tales series.

___

I still <3 Tales though.

Except for Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2. Oh man Symphonia.

1 would have been aight if... THE ****ING GAME HAD FREERUN. I mean, it's not like Star Ocean 2 didnt come out before it. IT'S NOT LIKE SECRET OF MANA AND SECRET OF EVERMORE CAME OUT ON SNES. IT'S NOT LIKE LEGEND OF ZELDA AND STAR TROPICS CAME OUT ON NES. But no, the game had no freerun. So here you are getting stuck in corners because whoever you're controlling is magically too dumb to run into the third diminsion. Doesnt help that the AI completely blows.

And then ToS2.
*rolls eyes*.
Namco gets the whole Free Run thing right for 2 games (for The Abyss and Vesperia, <3 those games forever), but now we go to Symphonia 2 and now they want to ****ING PUNISH YOU FOR FREE RUNNING. GUARENTEED CRITICAL HIT IF YOU GET HIT IN FREE RUN. WHAT THE ****?

And then the new characters are pretty much lame as ****. Emil and Marta can both die in a fire, and I might actually piss on it to save Marta, cause she has her moments.

But then.

There's Alice. She's actually legit. Rapier with a whip tip? Who else is that ballin?

*sigh* I could actually talk about game mechanics other than free run, but then I'd be reenforcing the reasons why I dont want to put that game back in my Wii and finish it. And im so close to actually doing it. So lemme stop there.

___

And on that note, Im gunna go back to rendering DSJ vids, and coming up with strats in SC4 to make Talim less ****ty than she already is. Poor girl. I remember back when she was actually viable. NOW SHE BLOWS AND I CANT LET HER GO (Until it's tourney time when I'm like "**** this, gimme Cass.")

Winds, are~ winds, are~, Winds, are swirling. Get ***** by Tagga-to-Tagga combos.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
word

to keep it straight let me tell you something i hate about games

when you have to do **** that the game never tells you to do but if you dont do it you miss out on like the best parts of that game

example:

ff12 - zodiac spear wtf you have to NOT open 4 random chests until the very end of the game and then you go back and open them and the best part is that they are in an obvious spot so the first thing you want to do is open da ****in chests thus ruining ur chances of getting it unless you want to go to some dumb place where u have a 1/1000 chance of getting it
lol i heard about the random chest thing but i never had the chance to do it. Didnt have the heart to finish that game >_>. Was the spear even worth all the hassle?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I remember when I first played final fantasy VII...I got to the swamp with the giant *** snake in it...and I was thinking "Now how and the hell am I supposed to move forward with my quest..." so I trained....HARD...got everyone's 3rd limit break...and then found out about chocobos...every boss after that was pretty much the easiest thing...

True story I was there

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
my top 10 games.

10. Legend of Zelda: WW (GCN)
9. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
8. Super Mario RPG: LotSS (SNES)
7. NIGHTS: Into Dreams (Saturn)
6. Tales of Symphonia (GCN)
5. Metroid Prime (GCN)
4. Super Metroid (SNES)
3. StarTropics I (NES)
2. Legend of Zelda: OoT (64)
1. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Aria of Sorrow: that game is pretty legit. Im playing through Harmony of Dissonance on the double pack right now (Well not literally, but I am playing through HoD again).

Why does everybody like Circle of the Moon? Im like, the only person who doesnt think that game is anything special.

__

And Wind Waker?

-refrains from making the blatently obvious complains- I will admit that I did love the (i think) Earth Temple? Where you that one bird chick (I barely remember that game, except for that Temple's gimmick).

Double Reflect puzzles. Pretty kool for a LoZ.

__

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I remember when I first played final fantasy VII...I got to the swamp with the giant as snake in it...and I was thinking "Now how and the hell am I supposed to move forward with my quest..." so I trained....HARD...got everyone's 3rd limit break...and then found out about chocobos...every boss after that was pretty much the easiest thing...

True story I was there

LOL wow!!! what lvl were you after that!?

I went thru something similar in Secret of Mana where I had to fight this mini boss ninja after we found out he was posing as santa clause(I wish I was making that up lol) and after 4 hours of lvling up to try and beat him I found out all I had to do was cast one lucient beam from my girl character.

I know dogy said no ROM business in here but someone needs to play Som 1 and 2 with me sometime. *poof*

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
LOL wow!!! what lvl were you after that!?

I went thru something similar in Secret of Mana where I had to fight this mini boss ninja after we found out he was posing as santa clause(I wish I was making that up lol) and after 4 hours of lvling up to try and beat him I found out all I had to do was cast one lucient beam from my girl character.

I know dogy said no ROM business in here but someone needs to play Som 1 and 2 with me sometime. *poof*
I dunno all I remember is when I got to the boss at cosmo canyon I took him out in a few hits....once again cause I'm stupid I didn't know I could use an x-potion or phoenix down
----

I remember Windwaker

Set wind, put controller down, make a sandwich
"Oh hey I'm where I need to be"

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I need to do some homework, but I think we're allowed to talk about it, we just literally cant link to it.

**edit**

Whaddyamean HoD not so much? IT'S TECHNICAL!! I mean, I know AoS and every one afterwards winds up being technical because of SH attack... but Hod has like, wavedashing bull****s.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
lol, the backdashing thing was cool. HoD was too easy for me, I remember easily traversing any part without any trouble. HoD had the best VGM, but the visual was too blinding. I've not played the DS Castlevanias. any light on them?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I havent played Dawn of Sorrow yet, but I know alot of people who swear by that game and say it's the best game under Symphony of the Night (if you like the SotN style games).

I also havent played Order of Ecclesia (the new one), and I havent really heard anybody talk about it. So Im guessing it's just another SotN style one. Dont quote me on that.

I HAVE played Portrait of Ruin, and it's interesting to say the least. I dont really remember alot about it, and I actually need to play through it again. I do remember that the tag mechanic was kinda kool, although Charlette was pretty much pointless. (however you spell her name).

Im pretty sure all 3 of them are worth playing whether they sound interesting or not. They all SotN style. That means they're all going to be fun to play regardless, whether you like the game's nuiances or not.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yes, Dogy, I'd be the first to tell you that all three Castlevanias for the DS are worth playing. Order of Ecclesia is, by far, the most difficult of the three. Definitely worth a shot. It's on the short side, but because of the difficulty the length balances out. Unfortunately, things move in a weak direction until you finally have a fight with an EPIC falcon punch.

I agree, though. Dawn of Sorrow is still the best game to play and probably the best castleroid next to Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid.

I am a huge fan of that genre. As a matter of fact. Check this out. Cave Story was a game five year in the making by a single person that goes by the name Pixel. It, too, is in the style of a castleroid. It's short in length, but it's a really, REALLY good game. I recommend it. Give it a try. You could play it on the PC, it's a freeware game. But they give you other options.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*loads his gun and points at ZIO*
...... oh wait, it's freeware. That's ok. (From what I know)

-continues to get ***** in Battletoads in Battlemaniacs-
I need a ****in job. :(

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Have you beat that game, bro? I got to the final stage, but the rat is too fast for me. ;_;

That game is only, like, 5 stages long. Its length relies on its difficulty. Once you have everything memorized, you pretty much can win.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I still have battletoads for Genesis. I can't get past the level with the strippers by my self. It's too frustrating alone and it's too frustrating with a partner. However, killing punks with yellow pipes is fantastic for stress relief. Anyone played Garfield Caught in the Act for sega Genesis? I've only beat the first level once, and i've played it at least 50 times. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about when I saw Count Slobula is unbeatable.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I beat it years ago, but I've forgotten stuff, so I get *****. Stuff like the snake stages and worm stages **** the everlasting **** out of people.

Manly games. Not like the girly *** games that come out now a day.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've been looking to play the Castlevania games for a while. Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time, and that style of gameplay really appeals to me. I've been looking for more titles in that style, since Nintendo seems to have all but given up on more 2D Metroids.

Speaking of 2D Metroids, is anyone else intensely curious about Metroid: SR388? I kinda hope the people making it can get their act together. It's been a bit too long.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time, and that style of gameplay really appeals to me. I've been looking for more titles in that style, since Nintendo seems to have all but given up on more 2D Metroids.
Same.

I downloaded Dawn of Sorrow on my CycloDS and I really don't like it very much. It's a cool game that I can appreciate but it's just not something I have fun with. :\

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ok, so i turned Battletoads off after losing 3 lives to some bull**** on the bike level.

That was completely bull****, I hit that ramp everytime and the game said "Denied."

___

Castlevania. The Symphony of the Night style games pretty much are Metroids, so yeah. You're looking to plaaaay.

Symphony of the Night
Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia
and some of the ps2 games, but those are completely hit-or-miss depending on who you ask (I dont know enough about them rightfully tell you anything)

___

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've only really been playing N64 and Wiiware/VC games lately, but the ones I've played that I'd recommend are:

Mischief Makers (very fun platformer by Treasure for N64)
Jet Force Gemini (one of Rare's best 3rd person action adventure games for N64)
World of Goo (a physics based puzzle game for Wiiware, considered the best game for wiiware)
Mega Man 9 (a brand new megaman made for Wiiware,as well as psn and live arcade, that is just as fun and tough as the first ones)

:colorful:

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I think ima start on some RPG 2morrow. (Read: Today)

... or finally muster up the strength to finish up Tales of Symphonia 2. Whichever happens first.

I kinda wanna play through Odin Sphere again after ZIO mentioned it. I miss Mercedes. She's... pretty ****in broke. She might actually counter Metaknight if she had the ****** Napalm Combo.

I also want to play some Mana-Khemia and finish getting all of the endings. That game was pretty much "Done" after I went through the extra dungeon. (which btw, is ******** how it's setup, why the **** do you have enemies you cant kill or run from, and then boost their stats at nightfall?) I still love Mana-Khemia, although it's just everything I hate about Atelier Iris 3 done right. Anna Lemouri is too good. S-Type Quick Dream is broken. Not to mention you also get one of the most broken characters ever created in an rpg,
Pamela Ibis

*I've got a buncha stuff that I wanna play through and im tryin to type myself to sleep*

Speaking of Atelier Iris, I still need to beat the hidden boss in Atelier Iris 1. ****ing golden pigs. Cheap-*** broke-*** pieces of ****. The main game was kool as ****. If you cant tell, my favorite rpgs are ones where all of the characters are completely different from each other and can never be exactly the same, so you wind up having to actually put some thought in who you use and how you use them. (Read: FF7 blows) Delsus is one of my fav characters in all rpgs, and he's kinda broke. Like, not completely, but a game should never give a character a perk that gives them a chance to interrupt and stop any enemies' attack. Including the last and hidden bosses. ****'s a lil too good.

Another thing I want to mess around with some more is Wild ARMs 5. Soundtrack is too good. But I never did get around to finishing the last hidden dungeon. But I ****ing love the HEX system. It's too fun. Sucks that team attacks are just for show and nothing else. Some real hype **** up in there (i.e. Rebecca and Avril's ripoff of the Jecht Shot, lol) *character spoiler*
Greg is straight up off the chain too.
Game is fun as mess to play since you can (and pretty much have to) set the characters with different common skills, and then they have their own character perks on top of it. Rebecca is too **** broke. I think ima sit down and make a list of "Most Broke-tier Characters in RPGS". She's going on it. Violater + Her Continuous Shot perk. Why in gods name can she dump her whole clip in 1 turn?

*thinks for a few minutes*

I could go for another runthrough of Tales of the Abyss. Game is too fun. Love the field of fonon's mechanic. And then the game also has 2 of my favorite characters ever, *Character spoiler*
Jade Curtiss and Anise Tatlin. Straight *******es.

Speakin of Tales, I've yet to do a second run of Tales of Legendia. That game scares me cause of ****ing Schwartz. That **** was dumb. And then there were those ****ing puzzle booths. I used to love the puzzle RPG genre when it really existed, and I love puzzle games, but dear god I was not ready for some of the nonsense ToL put you through. It's big plus was having one of the most entertaining parties in a game. That crew cannot get along to save their life. Chloe Valens is off the chain, she just needs a life jacket. SHE AINT ON THE BOAT!! Lawl. Tales of Legendia, better known as the series' MvC2. I mean, you can accidentally land 200+ hit combos on bosses. Lol.

Ok, I got alot more stuff I could talk about, but I think im about ready for set 2 vs my pillows. IM RAPIN THEM ****ERS OUT THE BRACKETS!

*edit again*
now Im all uber depressed. I was watching some CvS2 finals that popped up on my youtube, and I hear Talim getting ***** off the sticks in the background. I think she officially needs to quit life while she's ahead. :(

"Winds, are~~
winds, are~~ winds, are swirling. .... I'm not done!!!"

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Who's FIO, bro?

I'm currently playing Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Shiz is awesome, and I get to play games I never even heard of. Like Beyond Oasis, ESWAT, Bonanza Bros, etc. The achievements give me a little extra push to play what I probably would've left alone.

Good stuff. :)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Eventually (maybe sunday, if I get a recording program that doesnt blow horribly) Im gunna record myself playing a bunch of games and crackin jokes while I do it.

I found a win-finite against the first boss of Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. That **** is hilarious.

I wish I had Battletoads/Double Dragon, though.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So I played some Kirby Dream Course on my SNES today.

That **** was pretty hilarious.

Kirby "golf" game, and I somehow managed to turn it into a b-ball game with all my jokes.

It's pretty sad when Im sittin around playin Kirby listening to a playlist that has Wu-Tang and Noriko Mitose.

*facepalms*

IN MY WHITE TEE! XD

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
EYEYEYEYEY!

That games is awesome, tho. One a duh best I evu played.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
So I played some Kirby Dream Course on my SNES today.

That **** was pretty hilarious.

Kirby "golf" game, and I somehow managed to turn it into a b-ball game with all my jokes.

It's pretty sad when Im sittin around playin Kirby listening to a playlist that has Wu-Tang and Noriko Mitose.

*facepalms*

IN MY WHITE TEE! XD
kirby dream course was so much fun!

It wasn't hard to get hole in ones though.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I'm an action-oriented gamer more than anything.

My top 3 genres are action, FPS and fighting. :|

I do enjoy RPGs though.

Top Bottom