• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
When something is successful, people find ways to complain. Look at Tony Hawk, he wasn't a bad skateboarder, but people hated him ( a lot did in my school and what not, I never SBed)

I love FF7 for what it is, and I agree with you.

All I'm saying is if we went back 10 years, and FFVIII was the successful one, people would be *****ing about it. Or if it was X, IX, or anything. People love to complain lol.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
It's completely understandable why SE keeps rehashing their older titles. In order to attract newest generations to their classics, they had to remake their 8bit/16bit games. For the rest of us who have already played them (such as myself), it's not a magnificent boon when they are remade. But if they remake VII, that's when there's no restraint to how far SE will keep remaking games of the franchise.

finalark

SNORLAX
When something is successful, people find ways to complain. Look at Tony Hawk, he wasn't a bad skateboarder, but people hated him ( a lot did in my school and what not, I never SBed)

All I'm saying is if we went back 10 years, and FFVIII was the successful one, people would be *****ing about it. Or if it was X, IX, or anything. People love to complain lol.
Usually most of the hate comes from all of the hype backlash that games like FFVII get. My main problem with FFVII would be the fanboys, a shaky translation, the fact that the game didn't age well in some aspects and how much of a let down the story was. Terrible structure, terrible characters, terrible writing. There are some parts of the story that were interesting and could have been worked into a good story with a better writer but... ugh... :urg:

But the game play in FFVII is great if you're like me and you're one of those weirdos who likes JRPG game play.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Yeah but 7 is way better than 8.

finalark

SNORLAX
So I just realized how different FFXII's style of dialog is from the rest of the franchise. While most of the games have cheesy, melodramatic anime-like dialog XII has hammy, wordy Shakesphere-esque dialog.

Perhaps this explains some of the hate?

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Usually most of the hate comes from all of the hype backlash that games like FFVII get. My main problem with FFVII would be the fanboys, a shaky translation, the fact that the game didn't age well in some aspects and how much of a let down the story was. Terrible structure, terrible characters, terrible writing. There are some parts of the story that were interesting and could have been worked into a good story with a better writer but... ugh... :urg:

But the game play in FFVII is great if you're like me and you're one of those weirdos who likes JRPG game play.
I'm curious. What do you think FFVII's story should have been then?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
From what I've heard, VII's translation was pretty bad. So that kind of gives an edge to other FF games.
I don't like how overrated VII is, but it really is tied for first in my book (with VI). Strange.

And FF XII's dialogue was cool; I agree on that.
I found the dialogue much better than XIII's.

Story was weak in both XII and XIII though...

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I wouldn't exactly call XIII's story weak. Just straightforward, in my books. Whether that makes something strong or weak in a different way is up to a player to decide. Truth be told, a lot of JRPGs are straightforward, and older Final Fantasy titles gave us the illusion of freedom when we really are coming to one big conclusion in the end. VI deviated from that nicely to an extent with the end of the world and being able to gather the rest of the party again or not.

And it was a personal thing for me that I didn't click with XII. That was because I'm not a big fan of MMORPG gameplay though.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm curious. What do you think FFVII's story should have been then?
It's not that the story itself was bad, it's just how it was handled. The characters just are not well developed (with one or two exceptions) and the plot is all over the map. Plus the translation could have been a lot better.

And FF XII's dialogue was cool; I agree on that.
I found the dialogue much better than XIII's.
Yeah, I really liked XII's dialogue. I found it to be a breath of fresh air from the usually anime- like nonsense dialog of most JRPGs.

As for the story itself... I'm planning on playing through it again over winter break (I know, it's ways away) so ask me then.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
So I just got to disc 3 of FF13 on the 360.

So far it's pretty good, the combat system is fun once you get the hang of it and the story is pretty interesting.The characters are solid too.

I still have to find out how to transform weapons though.

As much as I like it, it feels very much like a mash of 10 and 12.The music is poor at best,with the exception of a few tracks.The game is also stupidly easy, you can get to disc 3 by just hammering "A" with the occasional "LB" to change to a medic based paradigm.

Also, the eidolons are too easy to obtain and are fairly crappy.

I don't know, it just doesn't feel like a final fantasy game IMO.

I'll see how I feel when I finish this disc.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I really suck at those Eidolon fights. :(
I think I died at least once on each of those fights (besides the one with Snow).

I only used Eidolons to help me get out of sticky situations.
They weren't great, but they were more useful than summons in XII.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The Eidolons have saved my behind so many times.

I had an epic finish against one boss with Odin. Time was running out and he was about to unleash his ultimate attack and I JUST had enough time to use Zantetsuken and get the win. Final Fantasy XIII really puts me in a mood for battle. It's fun that way.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
So I just realized how different FFXII's style of dialog is from the rest of the franchise. While most of the games have cheesy, melodramatic anime-like dialog XII has hammy, wordy Shakesphere-esque dialog.

Perhaps this explains some of the hate?
I never quite differentiated XII in that way aside from that game's affinity for pretentiousness. Sure, the series never quite had realistic dialogue [i.e. "If you push the directional button while pushing the [CANCEL] button to run."] but this game had its fair share of unmemorable one-liners, witless comebacks and pointless exposition.

XIII shared the same problem only it didn't suffer from a central focus on one character only.

It's not that the story itself was bad, it's just how it was handled. The characters just are not well developed (with one or two exceptions) and the plot is all over the map. Plus the translation could have been a lot better.
Woah. That's precisely my problem with XII. No one was developed in any manner whatsoever. You learn so much about Ashe. I know nothing about Vaan and he's the main flippin' character.

finalark

SNORLAX
I never quite differentiated XII in that way aside from that game's affinity for pretentiousness. Sure, the series never quite had realistic dialogue [i.e. "If you push the directional button while pushing the [CANCEL] button to run."] but this game had its fair share of unmemorable one-liners, witless comebacks and pointless exposition.

XIII shared the same problem only it didn't suffer from a central focus on one character only.
I'm not saying that XII's dialog is well written, just radically different from what you usually find in most JRPGs. Compare this line from FFXII:

Basch: Good, Reks. You bore a few cuts, but you are still whole. Well, can you
stand?
To this line from FFX:

Tidus: (speaking in a macrophone) Stop right there, Goers! You guys are smilin'
now, but not for long! 'Cause this year, us Aurochs are taking the cup!
Yeah. I personally prefer XII's writing style over that of any other JRPG I've ever played.

Woah. That's precisely my problem with XII. No one was developed in any manner whatsoever. You learn so much about Ashe. I know nothing about Vaan and he's the main flippin' character.
That was my main problem too.

Pikaville

Man I actually really dislike how cheesy and predictable the characters are in 13.

Snow, Vanille, Hope and Lightning are all stereotypical roles that you know like the back of your hand.

Sazh is the only kinda original character in the game.(His chocobo chick is bad *** too)

finalark

SNORLAX
So I was thinking, what genre would you like to see Final Fantasy XV take on? So far we have...

High Fantasy (I, II, III, IV, V, sort of XI and XII)
Steampunk (IV and V have some elements of this if I remember correctly, but VI and IX qualify)
Cyberpunk (VII has some elements of this, although it is a long shot)
Modern Fantasy (VIII is pretty close to this)
Science Fiction (X kind of, but technically VI, VII, VIII, IX and XIII all count)

So what's next? I'm kind of interested in seeing what a Space Opera Final Fantasy would be like.

And by that I mean Star Ocean only good.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Not quite, I'd like to see how Final Fantasy would fit all of there traditions into a Mass Effect-like universe.

And yes, I know what a JRPG is.
Yeah, I just think it's weird that the first game you think of when mentioning space opera RPGs is Star Ocean.

I never accused you of not knowing what a JRPG is, haha.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, I just think it's weird that the first game you think of when mentioning space opera RPGs is Star Ocean.

I never accused you of not knowing what a JRPG is, haha.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of guy who thinks that Fallout, Oblivion, Mass Effect and other western RPGs don't count. The only reason why I said "Star Ocean only good" is to quickly counter any "they already made a space opera Final Fantasy and it's called Star Ocean" arguments.

Besides, I personally prefer western RPGs over their eastern counterparts...

Pikaville

Oblivion is unbelieveably good.

I racked up waaaaaay to many hours doing everything in that game.

I even arranged all my rare weapons etc in my house in Cheydinhal, I was THAT guy. xD

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I've been replaying FFIII on the DS.

Geomancers are too **** good in that game.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
So I just got to disc 3 of FF13 on the 360.

So far it's pretty good, the combat system is fun once you get the hang of it and the story is pretty interesting.The characters are solid too.

I still have to find out how to transform weapons though.

As much as I like it, it feels very much like a mash of 10 and 12.The music is poor at best,with the exception of a few tracks.The game is also stupidly easy, you can get to disc 3 by just hammering "A" with the occasional "LB" to change to a medic based paradigm.

I don't know, it just doesn't feel like a final fantasy game IMO.

I'll see how I feel when I finish this disc.
I beat the game last week and I really enjoyed it. The combat system is well-balanced and nicely paced.

The music was really nice towards the end of the game, including what I consider one of the better boss themes.

Summons were always terrible in the FF games, so I wasn't surprised. They're a nice last resort though if your whole team is KO'ed.

I'm currently farming CP and Gil from the Adamantoises/Adamantortoises. It feels so good to be able to take those things down without Death or any summons.

And to help you out, you transform the weapons by upgrading them to their max level (indicated by a star) and then use one of the catalyst stones (eg. Scarletite, Millerite) to transmute it into a new weapon.

EDIT: And on a side note, my mind was blown when I found out that Lightning's voice actor also did Liara's voice in Mass Effect :D

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
And on a side note, my mind was blown when I found out that Lightning's voice actor also did Liara's voice in Mass Effect :D
Since we're on this topic, I was quite stunned to know that the woman who voiced Rikku (Tara Strong) was none other than Barbara Gordon/Batgirl from the New Batman Adventures. Then again, me being the Batman nut, I just love spouting out useless trivia like this.

finalark

SNORLAX
This is from a forum so I don't know how reliable it is but still...

So basically, since they're trying to make FFXIV a more leisurely MMO they're going to balance things out by making it so that the more you play, the less EXP you'll get.

Yes, that's right, they'll punish you for playing the game.

So apparently you can start getting EXP again by switching to a different class and leveling as that. And their in-story reason for justifying this is that no person could continuously fight and improve at a rapid rate in the real world. You know, in a completely realistic game in which poles can fly around with bat wings and you can suddenly loose all of your fatigue and be ready to fight again just by picking up a different weapon.

At this point I think Square is just trying to make this game as unappealing to me as possible.

Link: http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/11964-surplus-and-you-komoto-speaks/

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think that's quite stupid.

Or at the very least, they could make the limit high enough that only the most hardcore users would hit the it anyway, like 40 hours a week or something instead of 8.

Chaco

Never Logs In
The only game summons were worth using: FFVII, FFIX, FFX. End of story.

I havent played 8 though, so I dunno thurr.

Is the FF Anthrology set available with FFXIII? I wanted to get ALL of em at once.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
The only game summons were worth using: FFVII, FFIX, FFX. End of story.

I havent played 8 though, so I dunno thurr.

Is the FF Anthrology set available with FFXIII? I wanted to get ALL of em at once.
IMO FFIX's summons were very weak. Ark's 2 minute summon only dealt 7000 damage, while I could have been using Shock, Dragon's Crest and Thievery to deal 9999 each.

VIII's summons were decent early in the game only because they had the Boost system. Later on they became obsolete because of Aura + Lionheart/Armageddon Fist. Eden's uncapped damage (meaning only about 14000) has nothing on 18 hits of 9999 damage with Lionheart or even more with Armageddon Fist.

D

Deleted member

Final Fantasy X's summons were so awesome. My favorites were Bahamut, Anima, and the Magus Sisters, but I really loved all of them...well...except Ixion.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Anyone heard of a new Final Fantasy Tactics(remakes of old games don't count) being released anytime soon?

finalark

SNORLAX
Kind of an oddball question, but which FF had the best box art? I personally like the Japanese FFVI box:

And Final Fantasy IX and VIII's boxes.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
open beta for 14 starts tuesday night :O

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Kind of an oddball question, but which FF had the best box art? I personally like the Japanese FFVI box:

And Final Fantasy IX and VIII's boxes.

I liked VI's box art as well. X had a nice minimalist thing going on.

Top Bottom