• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I feel like replaying VI again. It's easily my favorite out of the series.
My last playthrough was years ago.

Octave

Smash Ace
I'm just really hoping that FFXIV doesn't become another Aion. (I actually might've already said this, idr).

So nobody here is in the Beta, then?

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm just really hoping that FFXIV doesn't become another Aion. (I actually might've already said this, idr).

So nobody here is in the Beta, then?
I don't think anyone got in but...

So what do you mean another Aion? Just another massive disappointment?

Octave

Smash Ace
I don't think anyone got in but...

So what do you mean another Aion? Just another massive disappointment?
Yeah. I was incredibly disappointed in Aion, especially after all the hype me and my friends gave it. The worst part is that it could've been great. It's already got private servers and some of those might have better servers than official Aion.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
So I just finished FFVI... :):):):):):) is all I can say

I think this might be the best FF I've ever played.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I figured I'd give it a rest this time. But rest assured, I'm trolling for another opportunity.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Kefka isn't what makes FFVI win, it's Shadow. He is the reason I sunk 100~250 mil into Ninja on FFXI dispite it sucking. As for XIV, meh. I was excited until I realized how overly expensive it is.

You know SE follows a pattern.

One reason why WoW outsold FFXI in release (bar-gameplay)

- lower specs.

Now, look at XIV and other MMOs like WoW and such

Again, the specs are too high. A low res version would make me happy, BUT 3 dollars/month for additional characters is ridiculous. >_> Seriously, why so much?

I personally think SE needs to do what Namco (did? and some companies do this, especially nintendo), and listen to their fanbase. Usually you can send emails with ideas or what not, but with SE, no. I tried once on FFXI, and I got verbally assaulted for my idea.

finalark

SNORLAX
As for XIV, meh. I was excited until I realized how overly expensive it is.
Seriously, three bucks per alt? Really, Square?

One reason why WoW outsold FFXI in release (bar-gameplay)

- lower specs.
Actually I think the reason why WoW outsold FFXI is because it's better than it in nearly every catagory. While WoW continuously evolves with the times, FFXI doesn't and feels very outdated.

Now, look at XIV and other MMOs like WoW and such

Again, the specs are too high. A low res version would make me happy, BUT 3 dollars/month for additional characters is ridiculous. >_> Seriously, why so much?
I really don't think it's the specs, if you really want to play it just get the PS3 version. Trust me, people will play FFXIV just because it has the words "Final Fantasy" in the title.

I personally think SE needs to do what Namco (did? and some companies do this, especially nintendo), and listen to their fanbase. Usually you can send emails with ideas or what not, but with SE, no. I tried once on FFXI, and I got verbally assaulted for my idea.
From my experience, the only fanbase that Square will listen to is their Japanese ones. Because us stupid foreigners could never figure out what makes a game good.

Which is kind of ironic seeing how they're really pushing for western games in their homeland.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Seriously, three bucks per alt? Really, Square?
Seeing how a character isn't bound to one "job", are people really going to create new characters?

Not that I agree with having to charge more money to make new characters, I just think most people will only make new characters to play with friends.

also - KEFKA HYPE

finalark

SNORLAX
Seeing how a character isn't bound to one "job", are people really going to create new characters?
True, but that also causes problems to people who want to experiment. Oh, so you suddenly find yourself wanting to play a magic class? I hope you didn't choose the melee race because if you did you're going to have to start over or fork out an additional three bucks a month if you want to be any good!

Not that I agree with having to charge more money to make new characters, I just think most people will only make new characters to play with friends.
Yeah, but they're charging you three extra dollars a month just so that way you and your buddy can play if it turns out that he plays on a different server than you. Plus if you're like me and you're one of those freaks who actually examines and compares the stats of his characters then getting the race/class combos you want will be a pain because if you want to experiment you'll have to pay extra.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright, let me explain why on FFXI I had to have FIVE CHARACTERS, yet only Shimazu was 75 Red Mage, Blue Mage, Ninja, Samurai, Monk, Beastmaster, and Dragoon.

Red Mage Armor = 50 items
Blue Mage = ~40
Ninja(all) = 72
Samurai = 35
Dragoon = 35
Beastmaster = 50
Monk = 45
Other assorted goods = 50

(I actually found this on a word document lolz)

Now, true a lot of items overlaped. Byakko's Haidate was wearable by Samurai, Ninja, Monk, Beastmaster, but still.

I could hold like 150 items or so, and if I wanted to farm items, bad for me. Not to mention synthing items, required characters in other towns to get mats. quick to make it quick to sell quick.

All in all, you needed that many to play well. Probability that SE will do it again? Yep.

Won't lie though. I loved how my Ninja could out-damage Warriors, not die, and solo stuff. Was some good days until they made every job bar-Nin better.

finalark

SNORLAX
A small update on FF Versus XIII...

Nomura said:
He provided just one intriguing bit, though: "There have been many questions regarding fields. It's not a completely open world. It's like the 2D FF games in HD. Although, in terms of looks, it's not a top-down view, it's like the screenshots that have been released. You'll move through the world from that view."
So apparently it's going to play similarly to the 2D FFs... I wonder if he's referring to the NES or SNES-era FFs.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1111136p1.html

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Hmm? Has the XIV discussion ceased? All righty then, now I won't feel so outcasted.

finalark said:
So apparently it's going to play similarly to the 2D FFs... I wonder if he's referring to the NES or SNES-era FFs.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1111136p1.html
Thanks for the tidbit. I needed to be reminded that this thing will never see the light of day and when its release comes to fruition, I'll probably be utterly disappointed. = D

So just recently I started picking up where I left off with the Compilation of VII, which was with Advent Children. I can now safely say that Square has taken what I loved about VII and manipulated it to such a point that I'm so sick of it. And now that they've left us at a cliffhanger at the end of the Dirge of Cerberus, there has not even the slightest hint if or when the next title will be released.

I apologize for the small rant. This is what I'm like after playing Crisis Core for about 4 minutes.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Zack was cool, and why he cared so much about Cloud, I dunno. (I haven't played CC but I got a good gist of it). In all honesty, storyline was it should've been left at the game. I will admit though, I loved DoC to death. Despite my ability to own at fps/third person shooters, I still enjoyed.

Cool Character + Gackt + fun gameplay and cutscenes = win.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Play Crisis Core to really understand. They started bonding in Modeoheim over their similar backgrounds, living in the country-esque locations of Nibelheim and Gongaga. The friendship was really awesome, and from there Cloud looked up to Zack, wanting to follow in his own footsteps of success. Truthfully, I think he looked up to him even more than he did with Sephiroth. Zack cared about him that much in kind because, really? It's also a part of who he is. He's a hero. Caring for others is in his nature.

Shame that you didn't like it though, WiyamMang. I highly HIGHLY suggest trying to watch Advent Children Complete. The original leaves a lot more plotholes. The blu-ray edition leaves you completely fulfilled. It's a proper sequel to an amazing game, in my opinion.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Shimazu said:
I loved DoC to death
That is where you and I differ.

Kuraudo said:
Play Crisis Core to really understand. They started bonding in Modeoheim over their similar backgrounds, living in the country-esque locations of Nibelheim and Gongaga. The friendship was really awesome, and from there Cloud looked up to Zack, wanting to follow in his own footsteps of success. Truthfully, I think he looked up to him even more than he did with Sephiroth. Zack cared about him that much in kind because, really? It's also a part of who he is. He's a hero. Caring for others is in his nature.

Shame that you didn't like it though, WiyamMang.
It was one of the first games I had for my wonderful PSP. Icons were too small and the combat was odd and unconventional. It caused eye strains and the voice acting was awful. So if you think about it, 2 out of my 5 senses were in agony. But I don't mean to whine. After all, I did buy the darn thing. I'll pick it up again when I have the time to invest in it -- I just finished P3P, so I suppose it pales in comparison.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Speaking of Final Fantasy IV DS, why did they stop there? I was really hoping they'd go all the way to VI and maybe even VII.

Although I'm keeping my fingers crossed that V-VII will be on the 3DS.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I heard rumors of V and VI coming to the DS, but I guess they were just rumors.

I seriously doubt Nintendo will get VII through...well, XIII on their consoles though.

What I really want to see is FFI remade for the PS3 with FFXIII level graphics.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
The more I have the chance to reflect on remaking FFVII, the more I realize it's not as appealing as it sounds. I believe Steve Burton is the only voice actor that matched up with the respective character; everyone else makes my ears bleed. I love that game but I dont believe I'd be too interested in seeing Cloud in drag in Hi-Def.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Yang..... Die ?????? Msquare killed my best character 3 min ago..... ;;______;;

Final Fantasy 4 is so...... sad ;;___;;

Gates

Banned via Warnings
The more I have the chance to reflect on remaking FFVII, the more I realize it's not as appealing as it sounds. I believe Steve Burton is the only voice actor that matched up with the respective character; everyone else makes my ears bleed.
Who says it has to have voice acting?

Oh wait, all the fanboys.

****ing fanboys.

I love that game but I dont believe I'd be too interested in seeing Cloud in drag in Hi-Def.
I for one would love to see that, if only so I can use it to shut up people who worship the game.

finalark

SNORLAX
If they were to remake FFVII with epic modern graphics, good voice acting (then again, this is Square...), a completely orchestrated sound track, refined game play and much, much better writing (which the game is in dire need of), the fanboys would still find something to ***** about.

Probably something stupid that doesn't matter to normal people Like all of the Twilight Princess haters like giving us free control over the camera or something.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I for one would love to see that, if only so I can use it to shut up people who worship the game.
So you want to walk stomp all over the fans' dreams by wishing for the remake they're dying for. Good job. =)

finalark said:
If they were to remake FFVII with epic modern graphics, good voice acting (then again, this is Square...), a completely orchestrated sound track, refined game play and much, much better writing (which the game is in dire need of), the fanboys would still find something to ***** about.

Probably something stupid that doesn't matter to normal people Like all of the Twilight Princess haters like giving us free control over the camera or something.
Not that I'm not into a remake (though Square's pushing it). But there' no more hype. If they remake it or not doesn't matter.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not that I'm not into a remake (though Square's pushing it). But there' no more hype. If they remake it or not doesn't matter.
If you mean that the hype for FFVII's started to die down... then yeah, you're right. I think people either just aren't as vocal about it anymore (given that the games has a lot of haters, partially myself included) or they've finally moved on.

Probably the first one, though, knowing fanboys.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Final Fantasy VII is a lot like the champion of a fighting game. Over time people will turn against you and want you to lose, feeling that you're overrated no matter how good you are, and inevitably, root for the underdogs.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Skip VII and go straight for a IX remake imo :)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The main reason why I'd love to see VII remade is because it just wasn't done enough justice. Yes, I can truthfully say that about the game that is so looked up to.

My main reason? Graphics aren't everything, but look at the sharp contrast between VII & VIII/IX, on the same console. It got screwed over big time in the graphics department. I just wanna see this game for all that it could have been on the console it began with. If it gets remade now in a beautiful PS3-graphics world? Awesome. But I can't really complain either way.

Top Bottom