• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
SO I got my Mystic on Tera to lvl 60 a few days ago ^-^

Now to get my Priest there o-o

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Yeah, that's true. I have a preference for ones that don't have all that :(

Makes me miss the old Ragnarok Online days. Very very little quests and big exploration. I still can keep going back to it.

Is anyone pre-ordering ARR? Special Edition or w/e?

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, that's true. I have a preference for ones that don't have all that :(

Makes me miss the old Ragnarok Online days. Very very little quests and big exploration. I still can keep going back to it.
Honestly, my only experience with old school MMORPGS was FFXI and PSO. FFXI in particular wasn't really exploration, but it just gave the illusion of it. In truth, if you tried to explore you'd get your ass kicked. Hell, you better make sure you can one-shot everything in an area before you even consider moving a few yards forward.

Never played RO, it just didn't appeal to me. I played RO2 thought and that was pretty run-of-the-mill for me.

Is anyone pre-ordering ARR? Special Edition or w/e?
I'm probably going to pre-order the standard edition sooner or later. I've been a tad tight on money lately so that's not going to happen until I find a new job.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Playing ARR, it isn't so bad and I like it, but I'm not sure if I'll buy the game when it comes out. I still think MMOs aren't quite where I want them to be right now. I'm waiting for the day where they mix monster hunting combat with MMOs.

finalark

SNORLAX
Playing ARR, it isn't so bad and I like it, but I'm not sure if I'll buy the game when it comes out. I still think MMOs aren't quite where I want them to be right now. I'm waiting for the day where they mix monster hunting combat with MMOs.
I suggest looking a Phantasy Star Online 2 then. Its as close to that as you'll get right now. Just sucks that SEGA is taking so long to release it in NA and EU.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I should. I don't have a good computer and I tried DLing it on my Vita. Unfortunately it asked me to DL a patch afterwards that didn't fit on my 4 GB memory card. I have my 16 GB but that's already dedicated to my US account.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Tried doing a few "Join for possible Beta Key for PS3! things today just to get duped into signing up for game forums or facebook pages. ;-; Le sigh I just wanna play it

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
How is the game at higher levels, btw?

Last time I played I made it up to level 16 or so and I felt like the game was a quest-fest. So I stopped :(

It's still a quest fest, but you can definitely grind/explore/do dungeons to lvl up instead if questing is not your thing. The end game dungeons are a blast also!

I'm lvling my priest by grinding. It's a lot of fun, I'm also doing dungeons and the story quests in between grind spot. So far it's lvl 40... after only 3 days xD

I have no life atm u-u only got 11 hours for work this week. haha

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've always been confused with XIII's ending and came across this.
I know its biased and all but I do agree with it since I was confused when I was watching the ending way back. Anyone else feel this way? I felt like XIII just threw a giant deus ex machina at the end.

I know other JRPGs do so, but this one just really stood out for me.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've always been confused with XIII's ending and came across this.
I know its biased and all but I do agree with it since I was confused when I was watching the ending way back. Anyone else feel this way? I felt like XIII just threw a giant deus ex machina at the end.

I know other JRPGs do so, but this one just really stood out for me.

I think the reason why you see so many "WTF" ending in JRPGs is because a lot of the time the ending is thrown together last-minute. Or so I've heard.

I also remember reading that Numora in particular likes his stories being "unpredictable" which is why so many games that he has any sort of control over as far as story and characters go tend to have "WTF" twists in them.

EDIT: I almost got an FFXIV beta key, but then IGN wanted my money.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think the reason why you see so many "WTF" ending in JRPGs is because a lot of the time the ending is thrown together last-minute. Or so I've heard.

I also remember reading that Numora in particular likes his stories being "unpredictable" which is why so many games that he has any sort of control over as far as story and characters go tend to have "WTF" twists in them.

EDIT: I almost got an FFXIV beta key, but then IGN wanted my money.
Maybe. There have been a lot of JRPG endings that I have enjoyed though. FF 4-12 basically had happy endings or ones that dealt with foreshadowing, building up to that final event. TWEWY's was really good too as were the Persona games. I know I wasn't the biggest fan of XIII, but I was hoping the ending would satisfy. There have been games in the past where I found the majority of it mediocre/a chore like Tales of the Abyss where I really enjoyed the ending (and Abyss did a good job foreshadowing and explaining the "open" ending too).

XIII I just felt so lost at what was going on in the ending. I think it was one of the few games where I walked away unsatisfied after the cutscene.
I just feel like I'm missing something on it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I dunno about the ending to FF6 being too happy. I always felt it was kind of a Pyrrhic victory that was achieved by the party.

Smooth Criminal
Oh, I meant it as being one of the ones to have endings that foreshadowed things. Mostly pertaining to Terra's fate at the end.
They explained that she might cease to exist and they also explained in the ending why she didn't disappear after the fight.

I'd say VIII and IX were the only endings where things magically worked out for the main characters, but for some reason I felt like it was one of those things that didn't need a large explanation. XIII just had no sense of direction on why things happened at the end. They just wanted players to get caught up with stuff happening and then make everything ok. The whole Orphan thing just didn't make sense to me.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd say VIII and IX were the only endings where things magically worked out for the main characters, but for some reason I felt like it was one of those things that didn't need a large explanation. XIII just had no sense of direction on why things happened at the end. They just wanted players to get caught up with stuff happening and then make everything ok. The whole Orphan thing just didn't make sense to me.

VIII and IX in particular just left a lot up to interpretation, such as the ever popular Riona = Ultamecia theory. Or exactly what Kuja's final fate was. XIII just felt very unsatisfying because the ending just left nothing really resolved. You really don't feel like the characters have been changed at all by their journey simply because all of the character development they went though gets drowned out by the confusing ending that desperately wants to be surprising while simultaneously wrapping up the plot.

finalark

SNORLAX
Square posted on Facebook that that they're sending out more beta keys for ff14. However, they've been having a hard time getting them to MS emails like hotmail or outlook. Which might be why I haven't gotten one.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
VIII and IX in particular just left a lot up to interpretation, such as the ever popular Riona = Ultamecia theory. Or exactly what Kuja's final fate was. XIII just felt very unsatisfying because the ending just left nothing really resolved. You really don't feel like the characters have been changed at all by their journey simply because all of the character development they went though gets drowned out by the confusing ending that desperately wants to be surprising while simultaneously wrapping up the plot.

One theory I stumbled across with FFVIII is some weird thing on how "Squall's dead for the whole game after getting ice-stabbed by Edea and the whole game is some pre-death vision that would make things work out". Never really bothered looking into it though.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just got home from a long day of job hunting and playing Yu Gi Oh with my friends and I came home to an FFXIV beta key.

I have no idea what plans I may have had for the weekend were, but they're invalid now.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'll be playing on and off throughout the day, since I have stuff to do for my online class and my end up doing something with one of my friends later. PM me for my skype if you want to play, I'm perfectly willing to make a new character on a new server.

rsr2

Smash Lord
I am on Ultos so if anyone happens to be on that I will be on for a couple hours today and all day Saturday.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Im skipping phase 3 u-u

Characters just gonna get deleted anyway, and I'm not ready to leave Tera yet. >.<

Btw anyone know when the last day of preorders will be and if there's only a certain number of collector's editions?

bmullins123

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally excited that they crossed FFXV with XIII Versus because it's two great games coming together to make one. Are any of you getting FFXIV a realm reborn because I sure am?

Top Bottom