• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I love final fantasy XIII, but I recognize that others dispise it. Why do they keep trying. I wouldn't mind some ports of final fantasy 4-6 for iphone as long as they had final fantasy 3 control options. I love the final fantasy III phone controls. That is how you port a game.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Forget all of them and play Chrono Trigger?

I guess VI would be a great place to start if it must be FF.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Forget all of them and play Chrono Trigger?

I guess VI would be a great place to start if it must be FF.

Yeah, it pretty much is. I remember one of my friends asked me what I'd say was better between FFVI and Chrono Trigger "if someone put a gun to your head and said you had to pick one". It took me over 20 minutes of going back and forth explaining what each had before I said Final Fantasy VI, in one of those "it could change if you ask me tomorrow since I go back and forth on it so much" things. So...if that's any indication of it, I dunno.

finalark

SNORLAX
The last time I played VI I was eleven. So if I were to recommend it I'm not sure if it would be because its genuinely good or if its because of nostalgia. Same goes for Chrono Trigger.

If you want a pick up and play RPG I'd suggest taking a look at Shining Force, actually.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It seems that a lot of people are warming up to XIII. Finally.
That's good to hear, because I love XIII. As an RPG, it's fine. Yes, it's linear and all that blah-blah-blah, but the gameplay is solid, the characters are cool - if cliché - and the visuals still impress me to this day. Is it a great Final Fantasy? Compared to others, it's definitely a weak one. But as a game in general, it's perfectly fine. I actually played it again recently, and knowing I've already got the Platinum Trophy for that game, I don't need to Achievement-hunt it, so I find that the game is even more enjoyable knowing I can play it at my own pace, how I want, and not have to worry about Trophies.

finalark

SNORLAX
the characters are cool - if cliché -
Actually, when it comes down to the characters I think that Sazh is one of the best characters Square has ever put into a Final Fantasy game. I also really liked Snow due to his generally positive personality and how he's pretty much the nicest guy you'll ever meet without being annoying.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The main thing that I notice between the older FF games/Chrono Trigger and the newer RPGs and stuff, is like the musical style and that, as odd as it may seem. The cartridge based stuff almost seems better in some cases because of what they had to work with.

finalark

SNORLAX
The main thing that I notice between the older FF games/Chrono Trigger and the newer RPGs and stuff, is like the musical style and that, as odd as it may seem. The cartridge based stuff almost seems better in some cases because of what they had to work with.
That's because composers had to create strong, memorable melodies in order to make their music work within the limitations of the technology.

Yeah, I liked Snow. Come at me, bro.

finalark

SNORLAX
NEWS!

Final Fantasy XIII-3 will be called Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Apparently Lightning will be the only playable character, it will take place in a new world and will be much more open, allowing you to roam around. Taking hints from Majora's Mask, you'll have thirteen in-game days to finish up or else the world ends.

Next piece of news, for Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary Square is releasing a collection containing Final Fantasies 1-13. I will contain PS1 copies of I, II, IV, V, VI, VII, VII, IX, PS2 copies of X, XI, XII, a PS3 copy of XIII and then a PSP copy of III. Its going for around $450 in Japan. No word on if it will be released elsewhere.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/01/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-announced

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/31/previewpreview?p=516050&preview=true

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Not even copying Majora's Mask could save FFXIII to me! :mad088:

Yeah, not gonna lie, I'm almost kinda sorta interested in that, maybe.
I will wait and see I guess. :|

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's not, for me. I am, however, interested in the collector's box. If the US got that, I'd probably get it.
If we do, hopefully they don't pull a Capcom and just put digital versions of the old titles.

It's strange that Japan isn't packaging X International or XII International, but VII is the International version.
I guess I could understand if it's because of the X HD Remaster. Maybe XII will get one as well.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's not, for me. I am, however, interested in the collector's box. If the US got that, I'd probably get it.
If we do, hopefully they don't pull a Capcom and just put digital versions of the old titles.

It's strange that Japan isn't packaging X International or XII International, but VII is the International version.
I guess I could understand if it's because of the X HD Remaster. Maybe XII will get one as well.
I'm more confused on why they ask you own a PS2, PS3 and PSP to fully enjoy the collection. Wouldn't it make more sense if they just packaged 1-6 onto one disk, 7-9 on another, give you the PC version of XI (seeing how Square said they were planning on dropping PS2 support for the game anyway) X and XII on a third disk and then finally a copy of XIII?

Just some thoughts.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm more confused on why they ask you own a PS2, PS3 and PSP to fully enjoy the collection. Wouldn't it make more sense if they just packaged 1-6 onto one disk, 7-9 on another, give you the PC version of XI (seeing how Square said they were planning on dropping PS2 support for the game anyway) X and XII on a third disk and then finally a copy of XIII?

Just some thoughts.
I'm actually fine with it, and I like it that way since it feels more like an authentic collection (even if it's not practical for everyone).
Having Amano art for every FF disc is pretty awesome.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm actually fine with it, and I like it that way since it feels more like an authentic collection (even if it's not practical for everyone).
Having Amano art for every FF disc is pretty awesome.
Maybe I'm just sad because I don't have a PS2 anymore. Oh well, the collection probably won't leave Japan anyway.

But yes, the new disk art is awesome.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, the collection IMO would be purely for collection purposes. Something you might even not open or keep in mint condition so it has high value later down the road. Putting them all on 2-3 discs would not be just efficient in terms of playing them, but cost efficient as well.

Asking to own a PS, PS2, PSP, and PS3 is just a **** move unless you happen to own one of the first fat PS3s...which many don't.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, the collection IMO would be purely for collection purposes. Something you might even not open or keep in mint condition so it has high value later down the road. Putting them all on 2-3 discs would not be just efficient in terms of playing them, but cost efficient as well.

Asking to own a PS, PS2, PSP, and PS3 is just a **** move unless you happen to own one of the first fat PS3s...which many don't.
Pretty much. I'm sure that 2-3 Blu-Ray disks could easily hold the entire series. And like I said, if they must include XI they should at least include the PC version since not only is it widely supported by fans but Square openly said that they no longer plan on supporting the PS2 version of the game. Its kind of a **** slap for anyone who wants to play XI after buying the collection.

PS2 pri much covers everything except FFXIII and III.
They're still asking that you own at least two discontinued consoles to fully enjoy the collection.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Any ps3 can play ps1 games. So realistically one needs just a psp, ps2, and ps3.

And this collection is for Japan. PSP games are still being made so it doesn't count as a discontinued console. There aren't really any new ps2 games, but pretty much everyone in Japan has one and can still buy one.

So while it's not logical here, it is for Japan.

Ps2 version of XI is definitely odd though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Any ps3 can play ps1 games. So realistically one needs just a psp, ps2, and ps3.

And this collection is for Japan. PSP games are still being made so it doesn't count as a discontinued console. There aren't really any new ps2 games, but pretty much everyone in Japan has one and can still buy one.
You're still expecting/asking for the Japanese fan base to have retained a PS2 and PSP, or go out and purchase these if you had happened to sell or throw them away.

I don't know how the Japanese treat their previous consoles, but over here, they are either collecting dust in an attic, or are sold when "upgrading".

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It's actually not difficult to track down stuff like that in Japan. I went to a couple places that sold games and consoles and stuff in Tokyo, and they have a lot of everything kicking around, even really old stuff.

Like a sealed copy of FFVII (PS1, black label) for 2500 yen.

finalark

SNORLAX
All I know is that if they decide to localize it here I really hope they decide to go with the 2-3 disks + PC FFXI instead of the Japanese model. I sold my PSP and PS2 after having them for years and feeling like I've played everything worth playing on both. To me selling my PS2 wasn't a big deal due to the advent of HD collections. something that Square doesn't seem interested in being part of.

Seriously, FFX HD was announced two years ago. It should not take that long to port a game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I kept my ps2 and psp. I never planned on selling my psp since some games are only on UMD, and my ps2 has too many games I couldn't part with along with imported games.

Only consoles I parted with was my SP, Gamegear, and PS1.

But yeah, it's unfortunate that some people did.

finalark

SNORLAX
I kept my ps2 and psp. I never planned on selling my psp since some games are only on UMD, and my ps2 has too many games I couldn't part with along with imported games.

Only consoles I parted with was my SP, Gamegear, and PS1.

But yeah, it's unfortunate that some people did.
The only old consoles I still have around are my PS1, GameCube, Saturn and GBA SP. Out of all of the consoles I ever sold my only regret is selling my Dreamcast. Thankfully, SEGA is finally releasing downloadable versions of all of the Dreamcast's best games. Although I miss Power Stone, and Capcom doesn't seem interested in doing anything with that franchise sadly.

Back on topic, I hope that one day we'll actually get HD versions of PS2 Square games. International X and XII and Final Mix versions of KH1 + 2 would be awesome.

finalark

SNORLAX
So 1Up is having some big special on Final Fantasy VII. I really wish people would just let that game go, there's thirteen other games in the series. Why can't the general gamer community acknowledge any of those?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So 1Up is having some big special on Final Fantasy VII. I really wish people would just let that game go, there's thirteen other games in the series. Why can't the general gamer community acknowledge any of those?

Because people need to fanboy/fangirl over Cloud/Aeris despite Cloud/Tifa A. being made canon as a result of Advent Children, and B. making 100x more sense in every way anyway, lol.

Top Bottom