• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
Not gonna lie, never got the appeal of FFIV. Though I DO remember thinking that when they showed Golbez fighting in an auto-battle "as a party member" that I wondered "if Golbez is this big badass, why does he only have 2000 hp all of a sudden when he had like 60,000 earlier? I want THAT GUY on my team...".
A good number of people played Final Fantasy IV as kids. That's pretty much the appeal of the game. And seeing how Square likes to remake it expect that to keep happening for several generations.

On the offhand, some people also consider it the point at which FF really got rolling. As it really established FF as a story-driven franchise and is when the game play of the original three NES games got pretty refined.

On the third hand, some people don't care for the now simplistic story and real lack of character customization or how slow battle system is. Oh Final Fantasy fans, we'll never agree on anything.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not gonna lie, never got the appeal of FFIV. Though I DO remember thinking that when they showed Golbez fighting in an auto-battle "as a party member" that I wondered "if Golbez is this big badass, why does he only have 2000 hp all of a sudden when he had like 60,000 earlier? I want THAT GUY on my team...".
Not to mention also the giant Golbez sprite instead of the little one. lol

IV isn't my absolute favorite, but it's one of the better ones I like. The dialogue is pretty bad and corny, but the main quest and areas you go to are awesome.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
That music, one reason for me. I think it has one of the best FF soundtracks all-around.

A good number of people played Final Fantasy IV as kids. That's pretty much the appeal of the game. And seeing how Square likes to remake it expect that to keep happening for several generations.

On the offhand, some people also consider it the point at which FF really got rolling. As it really established FF as a story-driven franchise and is when the game play of the original three NES games got pretty refined.

On the third hand, some people don't care for the now simplistic story and real lack of character customization or how slow battle system is. Oh Final Fantasy fans, we'll never agree on anything.
I didn't even play it until DS. I like so much of what it did, despite it being very simplistic, the story isn't very special but I enjoyed the setting and I'd like to see more FF games go in FFIV's direction.

Chrono Trigger is still my favorite Square game. I think I like Dragon Quest more than FF but I need to play more of them, I really enjoyed what I've played of DQVIII, I should return to that game.

finalark

SNORLAX
That music, one reason for me. I think it has one of the best FF soundtracks all-around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aES3Wevrbuo <- Best. Boss Theme. Ever.

I didn't even play it until DS. I like so much of what it did, despite it being very simplistic, the story isn't very special but I enjoyed the setting and I'd like to see more FF games go in FFIV's direction.
I played it as a kid through FF Chronicles (FF4 + Chrono Trigger). I loved it back then, and it stills holds a certain nostalgic quality for me. I replayed the game the game via the DS version in High School. Honestly, it was kinda jarring at how poorly some elements of the game aged.

I still like it, and it's still one of my favorite FFs despite the fact that some parts didn't age well.

I think I like Dragon Quest more than FF but I need to play more of them, I really enjoyed what I've played of DQVIII, I should return to that game.
I could never get into Dragon Quest. I've only played 8 and my experience with that was getting roflstomped in the first dungeon even after grinding for hours and making sure my equipment was the best I could get at that point.

I was thinking about giving IX a go but if its anywhere near as grindy as DQ8 was no thanks.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I never really thought about which one had my favorite soundtrack. It's IV, VI, and VII for me.
Try playing FFV if you haven't. It's one of my favorites. Other than that, just wait for Bravely Default or something.
Chrono Trigger is still my favorite Square game. I think I like Dragon Quest more than FF but I need to play more of them, I really enjoyed what I've played of DQVIII, I should return to that game.
VIII was mixed for me. I think it was ruined by the encounter rate and the slow battles.
I don't mind random battles, but it ruined the experience on exploring for me. Plus VIII's battle system was the slowest out of all the DQs for me.

DQV is my absolute favorite though with VI coming second.
I played it as a kid through FF Chronicles (FF4 + Chrono Trigger). I loved it back then, and it stills holds a certain nostalgic quality for me. I replayed the game the game via the DS version in High School. Honestly, it was kinda jarring at how poorly some elements of the game aged.
I kinda passed on the DS version. Didn't care for the graphics and I heard that the changes in the system made the game feel easier. I might give it a shot since I heard it added some new scenes, but at the moment I'm just going to get FFIV Complete Collection.

finalark

SNORLAX
I kinda passed on the DS version. Didn't care for the graphics and I heard that the changes in the system made the game feel easier. I might give it a shot since I heard it added some new scenes, but at the moment I'm just going to get FFIV Complete Collection.
Honestly, just go for the complete collection. FFIV DS doesn't really add anything to the game. As a matter of fact it actually feels more grindy than the original. Somehow.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
FFIV DS has the "original Super Famicom" level of difficulty.

So, it probably is more grindy.
PS1 version also had the original Japanese difficulty for the SFC though, which finalark played.

Speaking of which, I found it strange that FFV on PS1 felt easier than the original one, even though VI definitely was the Japanese difficulty. Or maybe I was just lucky through the last boss fight since he rarely used that one cheap move.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
FFIV DS has the "original Super Famicom" level of difficulty.

So, it probably is more grindy.

More grindy? Guhhh...

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind some 'grindy'-ness, but I prefer the Suikoden levels of grindy-ness if that makes sense. That being said, I thought FFIV was already a good bit grindy. Of course, in those days, that was expected and it was actually less so than a lot of other games that weren't "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest", and I think we all kinda have some fond memories. Plus, I could be wrong but, grindy games tend to give a bit more of a satisfactory feeling when it comes to finally beating that super-tough boss.

Hell, I know I remember how much I had to grind trying to beat Bahamut. Well...before I realized I could cast "Reflect" and have him just kill himself for me.

finalark

SNORLAX
PS1 version also had the original Japanese difficulty for the SFC though, which finalark played.
Was it? It's been a good nine years since I last played PS1 FF4. My basis for comparison is more based off of GBA FF4 now after playing that on an e- I mean, going out and finding a used copy and purchasing it then playing it on a GBA SP.

More grindy? Guhhh...
If you want to play FF4 I'd suggest playing it on a GBA, that's the least grindy version of that game. I've heard that the PSP version is also not very grindy but I haven't played it so I can't say.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind some 'grindy'-ness, but I prefer the Suikoden levels of grindy-ness if that makes sense. That being said, I thought FFIV was already a good bit grindy. Of course, in those days, that was expected and it was actually less so than a lot of other games that weren't "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest", and I think we all kinda have some fond memories. Plus, I could be wrong but, grindy games tend to give a bit more of a satisfactory feeling when it comes to finally beating that super-tough boss.
Honestly, I really hate grinding unless its option. When its mandatory its just a cheap way of padding out a game. IMO the way it should be is that if you don't run from any battles then the game should be fairly challenging but within the realm of possibility with good strategy.

Oh man, I completely forgot that Mystic Quest existed. I never played it, but I had a friend who pretty crazy about it back in middle school.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
If you want to play FF4 I'd suggest playing it on a GBA, that's the least grindy version of that game. I've heard that the PSP version is also not very grindy but I haven't played it so I can't say.
I'd make sure to grind a little though lol. I did and I still got stuck at 3 parts, although that may be due to the fact that it was my 2nd FF and I'm crap at them. I never got past what I assume is the last section,
where you go through the rooms with all those damn Wicked Masks and then fight the boss.

The fight with
All the Four Fiends
was stupid for me too. I was horribly under levelled (Cecil was possibly level 19 or early 20's), everyone was low on health, and I had no healing items or tents of any sort what so ever, so I had to grind without saving or getting a game over, then get healed by the boss before I fight it, then try to kill it. My patience ran very very thin with that one, and I made sure to get to a higher level as soon as I finished that bit XD.

I've got the PSP version, but I keep forgetting I have it and have only got to the bit with either Yang or Edge, can't remember who it was now. I'm not really a fan of the soundtrack for the PSP FFIV, but it looks pretty. Does that one have all the optional stuff from FFIV Advance?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Honestly, just go for the complete collection. FFIV DS doesn't really add anything to the game. As a matter of fact it actually feels more grindy than the original. Somehow.
Never played the older versions but I don't remember FFIV DS being too grindy (unless it was farming for Dragon Tails)

Did you know in FFIV DS, Kain isn't left handed?
I used to always think Kain was right handed and this really threw me when playing the After Years since
the Hooded Man popped up and was left handed - I immediately knew it was Kain but the switch in his weapon being in his left hand puzzled me

I hope they stop making FFIV related stuff or they risk running it into the ground. The After Years was a bit disappointing imo

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Don't you know? FFIV is the new FFVII, FFX, and FFXIII of spinoff stuff. I tells ya though, we didn't need that stuff to get people caring about FFVI. :bee:

finalark

SNORLAX
Don't you know? FFIV is the new FFVII, FFX, and FFXIII of spinoff stuff. I tells ya though, we didn't need that stuff to get people caring about FFVI. :bee:
Oh you, the only spin-off FF4 ever had was After Years. Square just has a thing for remaking 4 along with 1 and 2. If anything, XIII is one of the most spin-offrific FFs ever. The only one that out spin-offs it is VII.

I mean, Square intended for XIII to be the face of FF for the next ten years and I guess they'll be damned if that doesn't happen.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh you, the only spin-off FF4 ever had was After Years. Square just has a thing for remaking 4 along with 1 and 2. If anything, XIII is one of the most spin-offrific FFs ever. The only one that out spin-offs it is VII.

I mean, Square intended for XIII to be the face of FF for the next ten years and I guess they'll be damned if that doesn't happen.

Don't worry, I'm just joking around.

And I can't speak for FF Legend 1, or the Adenture one, but I have FF Legend 2 (or maybe I sold it a while ago, can't remember), and 3 (for sure still have since saw it in my room this morning). 2 is weird since while you pick like human/mutant/beast/monster/robot, that's what they are the whole way and the weapons have limited uses. In 3 it's a lot better in that aspect and you start as human/mutant for all your characters and can change to beast/monster/robot/cyborg by installing parts/eating meat/etc. And the game lets you change back. So uh...Legend 3 is probably the best game of the 3 overall, even though the Male and Female human hero sprites are the same in all 3 I believe.

finalark

SNORLAX
Just got done with another FF9 play through. I really hope that Square makes a sequel to that game some day. The ending leaves so many questions unanswered.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I actually liked FFIX's battle system, it gave me more time to think. The only thing I didn't like was the Trance system, I always got it right before a party member killed the monster and then it was wasted -.-
The only time I ever actually got to use it (outside of those special events) was fighting the earth boss in the earth shrine, Quina died the second round and I thought I was doomed, then Zidane got trance and did 2 turns of 9999 dmg per hit to the boss :p

And I really don't like FFIV DS, it's so hard. The monsters in the final dungeons(s) are way too hard for me to fight, so I have to run from them or end up with 3 people dead at the end (I'm level 68 omg) I can't even kill the bosses for the ultimate weapons, (and yes I have all recent weapos and armor from the shops) and magic takes WAAAAAAAAAAY too long to cast. I have yet to beat it after having the game for 2 years. -.-

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
A little off topic, but I just gotta say, this is one of my favorite threads in all of Smash Boards. The lack of **** and the genuine level of discussion that goes on in here is just...so refreshing. Keep it up, guys!

Final Fantasy IV is a pretty hard game for DS if you fight everything that comes your way. It's one of those games where you genuinely struggle with extras, but once you overcome those obstacles you're a beast. Kind of like Final Fantasy X. You REALLY work for it? You can kill Jecht's forms in one blow each. With just a normal attack. THAT'S unfairly powerful.

I managed to beat IV DS simply enough, but I had to fight for it.

[EDIT]

... I still ran away from most of the enemies at the end too. >_> It's okay. "Random encounter! ... a boss battle? Screeew that! I'm going for Zeromus."

finalark

SNORLAX
... I still ran away from most of the enemies at the end too. >_> It's okay. "Random encounter! ... a boss battle? Screeew that! I'm going for Zeromus."
I'm this way whenever I play through any FF. Even in FF9 when my party is ridiculously over leveled due to the Grand Dragon + LVL 5 Death exploit I'll still run from most battles just to get to the final bosses quicker.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I try not to run from so many battles at the end of FFIV. Fighting Zeromus underleveled on the PSOne/hardtype is difficult.
FFVI is probably the hardest last dungeon for me to do legit while VII was the easiest.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I try not to run from so many battles at the end of FFIV. Fighting Zeromus underleveled on the PSOne/hardtype is difficult.
FFVI is probably the hardest last dungeon for me to do legit while VII was the easiest.
Final Fantasy X for me (for easiest). But that's just because Yuna could do 99,999 damage with a single swat of her staff.

Not exactly fair. LOL

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Do any FFs have items or spells that lower the enemy encounter rate?

That skill really spoiled me when I played through SMT: Nocturne.

Oh right, google search. Guess there is something like that in some games.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/No_Encounters

I also like how it is very easy to avoid enemies in FFXII, really made exploring so much less of a hassle.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Final Fantasy X for me (for easiest). But that's just because Yuna could do 99,999 damage with a single swat of her staff.

Not exactly fair. LOL
Oh... Totally forgot about X's final dungeon lol. That was pretty easy from what I remember.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
... I still ran away from most of the enemies at the end too. >_> It's okay. "Random encounter! ... a boss battle? Screeew that!"
This happened to be my ethos for the entirety of The After Years. All the enemies hit like trucks and certainly for the chapters there was a level cap so it was better just to take a hit and heal afterwards to avoid using all your MP. Sustainability and all that

I definitely think FFIII DS was harder than IV (*cough* Garuda *cough*)

Dang I want to play FFIV DS again now...I never took down Proto Babil. Nor did all the side quests in FFIII DS due to the Moogle Mail thing

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Tell me about it. It can happen so easily as well - what with the old magic system and no Phoenix Downs in the shop(!). Death of a party member was absolutely crippling and it didn't help that boss monsters were incredibly unforgiving as well

Although I guess you could say that about the whole game right from the get go. I vividly remember strolling into Mythril Cave in the second town and getting wrecked by skeletons because you weren't supposed to go there until you were a higher level :c

The absolute worst part of FFIII (DS) is that there seems to be no logical determination of the order in which allies/enemies take actions which really kills any sort of solid battle strategy

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Lol this is how all my Zeromus fights go:

*runs to end of dungeon, engage cutscene, get into battle*

*buff everyone with every possible thing before using crystal*

Rydia: starts summoning Bahamut
Cecil: uses crystal
Rosa: starts casting curaga ahead of time
Edge: Throws stuff
Kain JUMP!

next round:
Cecil: attack
Rydia: Uses bahamut
Zermus:uses osmose on rydia -.-
Rosa: CURAGA! YEAH IM A HERO I HEALED EVERYONE AND WE'RE ALL ALIVE.... wait, it wasn't needed -.-
Edge:thr- *zeromus uses attack that does 9999 dmg to everyone*
D:< omg :C

Kain: TAKE THAT *jumps down and attacks*

Zermous: Oh, I forgot someone *uses 9999 attack on Kain*

Me: ;_;

But FF3 DS is actually one of my favorites, I actually JUST got around to finally beating it last night :D I really liked the job system, and didn't die that much... Bard is so powerful O.o did ~9999 dmg for 4 turns on the final boss. Summoner also did a consistent 8k dmg every turn.

finalark

SNORLAX
But FF3 DS is actually one of my favorites, I actually JUST got around to finally beating it last night :D I really liked the job system, and didn't die that much... Bard is so powerful O.o did ~9999 dmg for 4 turns on the final boss. Summoner also did a consistent 8k dmg every turn.
I was spoiled by FF5, which I played long before I played 3. FF5 has an improved version of 3's job system and significantly better characters.

For Gilgamesh, its morphing time.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If you have the time to do so, you can grind your characters' levels to 99 and equip them with the Onion Knight job; their stats will max out, and if you equip them with Onion equipment dropped by the various colored dragons, you can make them neo gods.

Also, little known fact: You can break the damage limit in FF3 DS. Thing is, it will not display a number higher than 9999. Of course, I was only able to do this with level 99 Onion Knights dual wielding Onion Swords.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I never used the Bard (which in hindsight probably wasn't a good idea) or Geomancers
Stuck with Dragoon, Knight, Devout and Sage on my first playthrough
Edit: At the end of course, used White Mage and then Red Mage/Ranger before reaching the final crystal

Never got the Onion Knight class due to that ruddy Moogle Mail thing. Is it seven letters you have to send to unlock everything?

All this talk makes me want to go back and try out all the classes I shunned

I was spoiled by FF5, which I played long before I played 3. FF5 has an improved version of 3's job system and significantly better characters.

For Gilgamesh, its morphing time.
Mastering jobs in FFV is incredibly satisfying
Did anyone here get the Brave Blade instead of the Chicken Knife and manage to keep it at full damage?

finalark

SNORLAX
I guess everyone forgot about this.

FFXIII was pretty much meant to be the face of FF and the center of everything FF related Square did for the next decade. That's why for a while they liked to slap the number XIII onto everything. Think of FFXIII as a semi-reboot I guess.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Never got the Onion Knight class due to that ruddy Moogle Mail thing. Is it seven letters you have to send to unlock everything?
I believe so, though you can play the original NES version and start off as Onion Knights.
I just found out they're making Final Fantasy 13-3. Damnit.
Please, I saw that coming lightyears away with the ending XIII-2 gave us.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm actually pretty interested in Lighting Returns. Open world with action oriented combat? Yes please.
^ This. ♥
Versus is living/dying proof that nobody should be allowed to announce a game unless they intend to actually release within the following two years.
I swear Versus XIII will be the Duke Nukem Forever of Final Fantasy.

Top Bottom