• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I haven't been able to play Chrono Trigger, do you reccomend the SNES or DS version?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I haven't been able to play Chrono Trigger, do you reccomend the SNES or DS version?
DS. It's the best version imo. It has all the PS1 stuff (without the nasty load times) and even adds new dungeons and an extra ending.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've only ever played the PS version of Chrono Trigger. How the hell I dealt with those long *** load times is beyond me. I guess I was just willing to put up with more BS from games when I was a kid.

The anime cut-scenes were worth it, though.

EDIT: Also, I just heard that Square is planning on KH1 FM + RE:CoM + Days HD for PS3.

And yet still no word on FFX HD =/ There should be a rule saying that Square is only allowed to announce something if they plan on putting it out within the foreseeable future.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh yeah, that's right. Chrono trigger DID come out on the DS.

I wanted to get it, but I guess I just forgot about it

There were a couple of other DS games I just forgot about as well.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
DS version of Chrono Trigger is really good. Having all the menus and maps on the bottom screen is pretty convenient.

You can also turn off the anime cutscenes, which is nice.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
EDIT: Also, I just heard that Square is planning on KH1 FM + RE:CoM + Days HD for PS3.
Ok, I'm getting a PS3 for Christmas. DAYS HD OMG <3 That's my favorite of the series.

Let's just hope that doesn't end being like Vs13 and XHD.... Announced but never made -.-

And I guess I'll pick up Chrono Trigger later. It's only $10 used at gamestop :D

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
DS version of Chrono Trigger is really good. Having all the menus and maps on the bottom screen is pretty convenient.

You can also turn off the anime cutscenes, which is nice.

Plus there's a music player, some bonus stuff like the dungeons and things. Oh, and it has Singing Mountain go during it at some point that I forget.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I've had Chrono Trigger DS for years and have yet to play it. I know I should eventually. It's like A Clockwork Orange—everyone has told me to watch it but I still haven't gotten around to it, despite having wanted to for a decade now.

finalark

SNORLAX
Let's just hope that doesn't end being like Vs13 and XHD.... Announced but never made -.-
Square tends to be more on the ball when it comes to KH stuff so I wouldn't worry.

I've had Chrono Trigger DS for years and have yet to play it. I know I should eventually. It's like A Clockwork Orange—everyone has told me to watch it but I still haven't gotten around to it, despite having wanted to for a decade now.
Yeah, that happens to me fairly often. I have a copy of Dark Dawn that's been sitting on my shelf unplayed for the past two years. And for the longest time I had a copy of Chrono Cross just sitting around collecting dust. I eventually just traded it in to a local used game store because I was convinced I'd never get around to playing it.

EDIT: Which reminds me, I heard the DS version of Trigger has stuff in it that makes it tie into Cross better. Honestly, I remember Cross feeling more FF than Chrono but I only played the first like, three hours of the game. I can't judge.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Since it's close enough to Final Fantasy, new Bravely Default TGS trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqusbquj7E0
EDIT: Which reminds me, I heard the DS version of Trigger has stuff in it that makes it tie into Cross better. Honestly, I remember Cross feeling more FF than Chrono but I only played the first like, three hours of the game. I can't judge.
Yeah, the new ending actually kinda ties into it. There's also this one scene that explains an event.

While Cross feels way different than Trigger, I still think it's a good game. My problems with the game is the uninteresting middle, how easy the game is, and too many characters. Music and the last third of the game is what I like most about it. The last boss part was handled great.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Square tends to be more on the ball when it comes to KH stuff so I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, that happens to me fairly often. I have a copy of Dark Dawn that's been sitting on my shelf unplayed for the past two years. And for the longest time I had a copy of Chrono Cross just sitting around collecting dust. I eventually just traded it in to a local used game store because I was convinced I'd never get around to playing it.

Dark Dawn has a suckish story :L

Also, what do you guys think the odds are for either Black Mage or White Mage getting in SSB4?

I think Black Mage has a higher chance over White Mage though because the black mage is more iconic.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I do D:< Well maybe not... but it would be nice.

And considering they have appeared in some mario games they at least have a small chance.

finalark

SNORLAX
Eh, I can deal with a crap story if the game play is good enough. I liked the first two Golden Suns quite a bit despite their very cliche and very RPG stories due to the game play.

The only thing that really annoys me about Golden Sun is how long the cut scenes are because they have to show every character reacting, and it always takes a million years to get done talking.

Since it's close enough to Final Fantasy, new Bravely Default TGS trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqusbquj7E0
It looks like FF but under a different name. The characters shouting KURISTORU every few words only cemented that. The job system looks interesting though, hopefully they'll change the name if they decide to localize it. Bravely Default Flying Fairy is way to engrish for my tastes.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

Yeah, the new ending actually kinda ties into it. There's also this one scene that explains an event.

While Cross feels way different than Trigger, I still think it's a good game. My problems with the game is the uninteresting middle, how easy the game is, and too many characters. Music and the last third of the game is what I like most about it. The last boss part was handled great.

Yeah, it's certainly different and that whole thing they were going to do with one of the characters but didn't is a bit odd too. Plus, a couple of characters are really easy to miss to where you don't think you should have been able to miss them. The middle does indeed have a few blurry parts for me though. But I'll be the first to praise the music in it again and again. And holy hell, that whole end-game sequence/ending bit was pretty damn well done.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wow that looks great! 3DS has some really good games! So glad I got one.
I have to say though, it looks alot like The 4 Heroes of Light.

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light pics

I just got done doing a little research on the game and apparently its supposed to be a spiritual successor to 4 Heroes.

I remember being vaguely interested in 4 Heroes, but ultimated decided against playing it. Looked too much like a rehash of the NES-era FFs. The game really gives a "been there, done that" sort of vibe.

finalark

SNORLAX
I didn't play the original, was it not difficult?
FF1 on the NES is really hard. The remakes eased up on the difficulty, though. And since most people have only played the remakes it's assumed that FF1 was fairly easy.

Honestly, the only hard part of the remakes is figuring out where the hell you're supposed to go next.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Certainly not as a good as the first two. That game seriously needed a good battle mode like the other two. I hope they continue on with a sequel to Dark Dawn considering it ended on a cliffhanger

Without the Djinn you can miss and the silly things every character says

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm going to be updating the OP with people's characters and servers for XIV and XI, so if anyone plays feel free to post them or PM me.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I just canceled my FFXI membership... Might reactivate maybe..

I'll go ahead and post my character anyway

Asherton (Ragnarok) Haven't gotten past lvl 60, lmao.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've been playing FFXI to fill the gap until Mists of Pandaria comes out. I doubt I'll ever lay a finger on my account once Realm Reborn hits shelves, though.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Haha, I started very late in FFXI and just decided to wait for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Want.

Ima be a White Mage male Miqo'te (if that's how you spell it?) I always wanted to be a cat person, :p

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it's a rehash of the old FF I wish I got 4 heroes. I decided against it because of the artwork and some of the classes. It looked like a kids game. When I found out it wasn't for kids really because of it's difficulty I wanted to get it but no one had a copy anymore.

I actually prefer the old school FF's to the ones they have made recently

Probably because they are based more on Dungeons and Dragons

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I have The 4 Heroes of Light laying around, but have not played much of it because of other games, the little I played felt like a nice tribute to the old school games.

It felt so much more like a FF game than FFXIII did imo. The battle system was strange though, I would have liked more control. I would like to give it another chance one day, but so many games. :/

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
The battle system IS very strange. But it's actually kinda fun. I did have to have a Dancer in my party for the AP restoration though.

Edit: thread is dead T.T

finalark

SNORLAX
The battle system IS very strange. But it's actually kinda fun. I did have to have a Dancer in my party for the AP restoration though.

Edit: thread is dead T.T
The thread is only dead when there's nothing to talk about.

And we've pretty much talked about everything. Anyway, got some news. Square posted some new concept art for Final Fantasy XIV and the first screen shots of the PS3 version of the game.

Check it out here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151266820785871.523999.116214575870&type=1

Spire

III
BRoomer
Holy ****, Hein! That collection of concept art is fantastic. Haven't seen FF concept art that exciting since FFIX.

Top Bottom