• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
WAAAAAAAAAAANT o.o

Good news is I got a job, which means I cna buy a new PC to play it on :D

Spire

III
BRoomer
Damn, that's super robust. Good job Square, you made a good character creator. I love how the prelude plays throughout the process, just reassures you constantly that this is Final Fantasy. Once XIV is released on the PS3, I may end up buying one to play it. A Realm Reborn is shaping up to be very enticing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IV, V, and VI only share one connection. But the story isn't really connected like how the first three games are.
I haven't beaten IV yet, but I've only played the NES version. I'm really biased towards V though, so it's up to you if you want to play IV first.
If you play IV I recommend the one on DS. They added a system to customize the characters to your liking. Overall everything added is an improvement.

Also III on the DS is nice. But they took away the Ninja's unique ability to equip 2 weapons. Everyone in it can equip 2 weapons which makes the Ninja kind of useless

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Um they were talking about Dragon Quest, not Final Fantasy lol.

But only Ninja's could equip 2 weapons in the original FFIII? o: I didn't know that, they should've kept it that way!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Can't wait for XIV 2.0. Got all jobs to 50 but 2 Melee, Weaver, Fisher, Botanist, And Miner, Bot and Min are 37/44 too.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well what do you know? More ARR stuff! Here's a preview video for Gridania, which I'll assume is the only area they have finished since its the only area they ever show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQb_t5zkfoY

EDIT:

In much more interesting news, former Square President, Hisashi Suzuki, states that Square merging with Enix was a complete failure and that the company has no vision for the future.

In other words, it seems that the former president of Square is siding with the fans that think Square has no idea what the **** its doing anymore.

Sauce: http://www.gamesradar.com/former-square-boss-says-merger-was-complete-failure/

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I don't think it really was a failure... I think that they've just experimented maybe a bit too long, lol.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Wasn't a failure, just made a lot of mistakes on the way. XIII was good imo.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard there are people that blame the companies misfortunes on the merge with Enix.

And XIII may be "good" but it's headed in a direction I personally don't like.

(In other news, DQ games have been REALLY good since then. I absolutely loved 8 and 9)

TBH I prefer the older Final Fantasies.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
With all the FFXIII stuff we are getting I may have been starting to agree with him...

But then I learned of Bravely Default, and how amazing it looks.

If I could get a localization announcement then I would be happy with Square Enix.

Dragon Quest is still going pretty well, so I wouldn't blame Enix. I just want Square to make a FF game without Lightning in it, like Versus XIII, or localizing Type-0. :/

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm really happy that Square-Enix has been expanding on stories and all that jazz, giving them solid foundations and the like (looking at FFXIII's series)

But on that note? I really hope that when all their work is done, they give us the grand finale of Final Fantasy VII. We started with VII, got the sequel in showing how everything was starting to get rebuilt, a prequel that set the foundation for the original (bless you Zack), and then the latest chronologically...

Square-Enix's last title in the VII series taking place after the events of Dirge of Cerberus, only giving us a refined edition of the VII battle system (maybe take influences from XIII's flow, or better yet combine X-2 and XIII battle elements).

Genesis is back with much "work left to do", though likely as a guardian for the Goddess. With the ever lingering essence of Sephiroth and how it's confirmed that he remains because of his hatred of Cloud, one final epic could be made to given everyone their true closure. I mean, if we didn't get Dirge of Cerberus, ending it on Advent Children Complete would have been fine enough.

idk, so many things that can be done. One more tale of Cloud!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd rather have them expand on the world of Ivalice. That's the FF World I think they did perfect on.

It's got creative races, the job classes, knights riding on chocobos, interesting summons.

finalark

SNORLAX
Square should release a table top RPG for Ivalice. That world is ridiculously developed, and I don't feel like manually sitting down and adapting it to Pathfinder/3rd Ed.

The game I really want to see a sequel to is Final Fantasy IX. The ending leaves a lot open, and IMO, to be desired.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
How do you level up? D:

Also I thought you could switch jobs, how do I do that?

You level up by well, fighting battles since you get experience from attacking people. However, there's something that was pretty well known and considered kind of a trick back when the game came out where if you go into a random encounter and get the enemy down to one, and get his HP low, he'll run away. When that happens you get your group in like a circle and have them attack each other (I prefer something weak like the "Throw Stone" or "Dash" Squire abilities, so having Squire as a secondary ability would help, for instance). You'll actually gain Experience AND Job Points relatively quickly this way, and as long as you have a White Mage or Chemist to heal you and don't get too low on health, you can gain a few levels per battle no problem. Also, I'd recommend buying/equipping/learning/whatever the term you want to use is the "Gained JP Up" Squire Skill as it'll help immensely in the beginning at least.

As for switching Jobs/Classes, you'll start out with Squire and Chemist, but in order to unlock different classes, you have to "Level Up" your current job by gaining EXP and JP (Job Points). For instance, in order to change to an Archer or a Knight Class, you'll need your Squire to be at Level 2, while White and Black Mages require a Level 2 Chemist. Classes like Monks require a Level 2 Knight, and Thieves require a Level 2 Archer. To be honest, if you want good equipment, I'd recommend getting yourself a master Thief as soon as possible, and potentially even a Mediator later (as if the 'Invite' skill succeeds and they join you, you get all their equipment anyway and can just boot them after).

Though a head's up, by the end of the game, you'll find yourself having to boot some generic units to make way for the good and strong "Special Characters". Each of them can be good in the right hands, so it's worth it to 'Accept' them all as they come storyline wise.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I don't like how your party members literally die! D:

I just lost 3 party members because a black mage killed them by accident... ugh

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I don't like how your party members literally die! D:

I just lost 3 party members because a black mage killed them by accident... ugh

Well uh...yeah, I wouldn't recommend using Black Magic to build them up. Just have your mage attack physically. And also, you have 3 turns to either revive them with a Phoenix Down, or to win the battle before they er...die die.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I wasn't trying to build them up with it, I didn't even read your post before that lol. I targeted a goblin, and it walked over to my party... then the thunder went off... yeah e.e

And I didn't have any phoenix downs :C lol

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I once had to sacrifice my black mage to beat a boss. It was the only party member I lost.

I was severely underleved but really wanted to beat that boss.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll try to be non-spoiler with this but, was it THAT BOSS in Chapter 3?
No, it was an earlier boss. I was just impatient.

I actually didn't have any problems with any boss after the one.

To avoid spoilers, it was one of FFXII's espers

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'd really like to see a new game related to FFVIII's universe. A sequel wouldn't make sense as there's just nothing left to conquer in that world. Its entire backstory is concluded with VIII, so a prequel would be best; something based long before Laguna's time. Perhaps a story based around the ancient Centra civilization:

Remember where you found Odin and Tonberry King? As he was found in the throne room of the Centra Ruins, Odin would be king of a nation of people populating the Centra continent, a ruler reigning over ancient sorcery. The story would deal with the origins of the sorceresses and... ahh hell, this will never happen.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd really like to see a new game related to FFVIII's universe. A sequel wouldn't make sense as there's just nothing left to conquer in that world. Its entire backstory is concluded with VIII, so a prequel would be best; something based long before Laguna's time. Perhaps a story based around the ancient Centra civilization:

Remember where you found Odin and Tonberry King? As he was found in the throne room of the Centra Ruins, Odin would be king of a nation of people populating the Centra continent, a ruler reigning over ancient sorcery. The story would deal with the origins of the sorceresses and... ahh hell, this will never happen.
If Odin was so strong, how'd he get his *** kicked by Seifer?

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
That was epic! :O

WAAAAAAAAANT ;-; lol

I also want that forcefield to be an ability o: lol

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Man so pumped to get on 2.0. >_> I even have 2mil gold saved up on the game.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
RPG related:

Anyone have The Last Story? It's AMAZING.

More Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy has been in years.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Plan on getting it after I beat Tales of Graces F. Almost got it to test out Wii-u HD Upscaling, butmeh

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
RPG related:

Anyone have The Last Story? It's AMAZING.

More Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy has been in years.
Well considering Sakaguchi has stepped down from Square in 2003, the Final Fantasy series has never been the same. He then founded Mistwalker Studios in 2004, and made games, like The Last Story, so yeah, Sakaguchi's resignation from Square really hurt Final Fantasy, I would say.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got Final Fantasy 4 heroes of Light

It's got some serious flaws with the gameplay I'm not sure why they decided to go with.

It's deviations from the typical formula are some of the worst decisions in game making I've seen

The fact you don't have direct control of who your character attacks/heals is one of them

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't really know what they were thinking with it's gameplay either, I have not made it very far into that game because of it. I'd still take it over FFXIII's gameplay though.

Still, it's cool to see that Square hasn't completely given up on the older game's style. Bravely Default looks like a much better game all around for this, especially the gameplay imo, if only we could get a localization announcement on that game.

Top Bottom