• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've always felt FFXIII had good ATB. Weird.
Everything about FFXIII is pretty much polarizing. With that said, I thought the ATB was all right at first, but I didn't find it to be anything special over the other games. I'm satisfied with classic ATB.

If XIII's ATB was put into an MMO, that'd be interesting though.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Bought a new computer for FFXIV 2.0! \o/

Just need a graphics card and Windows 8, then I'm all set :3

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Bought a new computer for FFXIV 2.0! \o/

Just need a graphics card and Windows 8, then I'm all set :3
Well, you're going to be a while.

I have a 570 Evga, 16gb of ram, 3.8 quad, but... no ffxiv for me.

They're still in ALPHA testing >_<.

You need windows 8 for xiv, or want?

Btw, is The Last Story Battle system anything like FF?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, it's like FFXII from what I've seen.

Either way, it's not my cup of tea

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
The Last Story isn't anything like a FF battle system. It's more of a walk up and slash the enemy battle system, lol.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Well, you're going to be a while.

I have a 570 Evga, 16gb of ram, 3.8 quad, but... no ffxiv for me.

They're still in ALPHA testing >_<.

You need windows 8 for xiv, or want?

Btw, is The Last Story Battle system anything like FF?
I have an i5 unlocked, 4gb of ram, planning to buy this card. Will it work? D:

(probably upgrade ram sometime in future)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He started off doing what I thought was bashing FFVIII, but...then said a lot worse happened and I understood. Though at 4 minutes in, I still don't see what's bad with FFX.
He's got a multi part special on both FF 8 and 10

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I have an i5 unlocked, 4gb of ram, planning to buy this card. Will it work? D:

(probably upgrade ram sometime in future)
Honestly it's going to be rough. Did you play FFXIV?

You actually got me curious if Wndows 8 is required, I doubt it yeah?

I was lv 50. BLM MNK BRD DRG other classes 40. All craft and gathering 50 or 40ish

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Honestly it's going to be rough. Did you play FFXIV?

You actually got me curious if Wndows 8 is required, I doubt it yeah?

I was lv 50. BLM MNK BRD DRG other classes 40. All craft and gathering 50 or 40ish
No, I haven't played it yet. I heard 2.0 was going to be able to work on lower-end PCs also.

Doubt Windows 8 will be required, probably XP or 7 though o:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Auto attack was the best thing ever invented for classic RPG's.

Especially for people that grind levels like I do

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I HATE auto-attack, it always screwed me up one way or the other and I had to quickly take control before some serious damage occurred. (Game Over)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I only do it when I don't consider the enemy a threat. I wouldn't dare do it on bosses or enemies that are too close to my level.

Just grinding.

finalark

SNORLAX
I only do it when I don't consider the enemy a threat. I wouldn't dare do it on bosses or enemies that are too close to my level.

Just grinding.
I'm pretty sure that's all it was meant for.

Or JRPG devs could just try to take grinding out of their games. Oh wait, that would cut down on the 60 hours required to finish one of those titles. Honestly, that's one of my biggest pet peeves about the genre.

I most certainly will.

So who'd all pay to play an HD Dissidia game with proper online?
I would. It would be nice to see a proper console version of those games so I can play without the nub.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Or JRPG devs could just try to take grinding out of their games. Oh wait, that would cut down on the 60 hours required to finish one of those titles. Honestly, that's one of my biggest pet peeves about the genre.
I totally agree with this. Interestingly enough, this is why I don't hate Final Fantasy XIII like some other people (not that it's my favorite by any means); grinding isn't required. Granted, it can make battles easier, one can just bum rush the game, fighting whatever battles are necessary, and still have just enough abilities to get the job done.

I could say the same about Super Mario RPG, but that's because by the time I reach Monstro Town, I'd have already done the 100 Super Jumps, getting the Attack Scarf and the Super Suit, slapping those bad boys on Mario, and never having to grind ever... But I digress. lol

I would. It would be nice to see a proper console version of those games so I can play without the nub.
They should release an HD version of both (or at least Duodecim). I mean, if they can release HD ports of MGS: Peace Walker and God of War: Chains of Olympus/Ghost of Sparta, they can do the same for Dissidia, couldn't they? Square did say they were releasing HD ports of Kingdom Hearts/Re:Chain of Memories/Kingdom Hearts 2 as well as Final Fantasy X, so maybe they might see reason to treat Dissidia with such love in the future?

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe that's WHY I hate FF XIII, because it doesn't have grinding.

I do prefer the older FF's.

I also prefer customization mechanics over storyline. TBH, I found most of the FF stories convoluted, absurd, and shallow.

---

Also, what I would REALLY love is a turn based, job system game on the 3DS based in the world of Ivalice.

And of course having multiple characters with different races. A bangaa character, moogle character, Viera, etc.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't really have a problem with grinding.

I think games developed by Atlus tend to handle it nicely, grinding feels largely optional for them, unless you really screw up/don't know what you are doing or decide to tackle bonus bosses/dungeons. Their games usually have a nice balance of keeping you at the level you need to be as long as you don't run away too much, while still allowing you to grind a couple of levels for that shiny new demon/persona.

I always want that shiny new demon/persona. Besides, how you use your skills is usually more important than level in their games anyway.

I think grinding is fine if it feels like you are really working towards something, like new skills. I also don't really care about grinding that much as long as I enjoy the battle system.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't really have a problem with grinding.

I think games developed by Atlus tend to handle it nicely, grinding feels largely optional for them, unless you really screw up/don't know what you are doing or decide to tackle bonus bosses/dungeons.

I think grinding is fine if it feels like you are really working towards something, like new skills. I also don't really care about grinding that much as long as I enjoy the battle system.
Etrian Odyssey comes to mind as a contradiction to this (save for the battle system, which I do like). lol. I don't care about grinding too much either, so as long as excessive grinding isn't a requirement to progress through the story.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
You don't need to grind in Etrian Odyssey if you have a good team, you will only need to when you want to change your skill points or add a new character. The beginning of the games can be bad, but you just need to take it slowly. Gradually exploring a few new paths in the labyrinth and then heading back to town before starting all over really adds up.

Yeah, I guess it's not as optional as a SMT game, but it can be done. Or maybe I'm just biased since EOIII has been one of my favorite JRPGs I've played.

Or maybe because the games are pretty much just one big dungeon crawl they could be considered nothing but grinding, I don't know. :/

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
For me, it depends on the game.

I don't particularly mind grinding unless the battle system is boring, or if the encounter rate is really high (early FFs, I'm looking at you), so I constantly feel like I'm being forced into battle. In that case, grinding gets old really fast. If the battle system is fun or interesting though, it's usually pretty enjoyable. Chrono Trigger, Persona, FFXIII, and other games like that are fine, and I didn't mind grinding at all.

Also, if you can choose when you want to grind, it's not so bad. Some games where you feel like you can't progress until you get to certain level or have a certain skill though, that's pretty irritating.

Grinding is only a slog if it's tedious, in my opinion.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You don't need to grind in Etrian Odyssey if you have a good team, you will only need to when you want to change your skill points or add a new character. The beginning of the games can be bad, but you just need to take it slowly. Gradually exploring a few new paths in the labyrinth and then heading back to town before starting all over really adds up.

Yeah, I guess it's not as optional as a SMT game, but it can be done. Or maybe I'm just biased since EOIII has been one of my favorite JRPGs I've played.

Or maybe because the games are pretty much just one big dungeon crawl they could be considered nothing but grinding, I don't know. :/
Etrian Odyssey is definitely a grindfest. Funny thing is, it's one of my favorite RPGs, let alone handheld RPGs, I've played. lol

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
My thought on grinding is pretty much that I don't mind a little bit, but if it REALLY slows down story progression (like say...Fina Fantasy IV) then I want nothing to do with it. Like I didn't mind a bit of it in the Chrono or Suikoden games, and whenever I start off Final Fantasy Tactics the first thing I do actually is grind to like...level 7 or 8 at the beginning of Chapter 1 so I'm normally good and on par for the rest of the game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For FFs, I'd say 1-5+Tactics are the only ones where you need to grind. I guess XII too.

For Chrono Trigger, even backtracking makes you pretty powerful.
You can even get everyone's techs in 20 minutes if you grind at a certain area midway through the same. I try to avoid doing that, but it's pretty fun getting Luminaire and stuff early, haha.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Anyone have Heroes of Ruin? I got it for Christmas, but I keep running into afk players online, or keep getting kicked out D:

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I bought a $700 computer to play Final Fantasy XIV with, and THEY CLOSED THE DAMN GAME ALREADY OMG. I'm so pissed right now I don't even know where to begin. $700 in the toilet for nothing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There's also MMO's out there that don't suck

Edit: Wow, FF singlehandedly created the most BORING looking race choices I've ever seen in an MMO

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I think I'll just renew my FF 11 subscription.... even though my old computer could run it at max settings. e.e Lol this one will destroy it ;D

Btw, anyone have Xenoblade? It's soooo good! The story is VERY long, but very well done also! I couldn't figure out who the bad guy was until like 3/4 of the game had passed D:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Xenoblade's probably my favorite JRPG this gen in terms of story and exploration. It's too bad it doesn't get a lot of recognition for being released late here and being a Nintendo and Gamestop exclusive game. Only thing that's weak to me is the battle system. It isn't bad, but it didn't click with me to the point where I was addicted to grinding like FFXII's. It's more interactive though which is a plus.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not knowing who the villain is, is good writing?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
White Mage didn't mean it in that way, haha. But basically with the twists and turns it takes, they did a good job on revealing who the final villain would be. So yeah, in the typical JRPG's "last boss isn't who it appears to be", it did a good job since the clues and motives were scattered about. Much better than something totally random like FFIV or IX.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Lol no I didn't mean it that way, I just liked how it wasn't predictable. But it did indeed have good writing. The FF9 boss was so random and just didn't fit AT ALL, lol.

Xenoblade felt a bit like FFXII, which is also one of my favorites RPGs.

I'm at the ending and I have to say
omg WHY IS EVERYONE EVIL? D: I suspected ****son, but Alvis? No way o.o I mean he was suspsicious, but I thought that was just how he was, not to the point of being an evil nasty D:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Um... they closed FFXIV.

They are rebooting it as FFXIV 2.0 in July...you know this right?

My crappy FFXIV Char gets transported to 2.0, the only advantedge to playing that damn game.

Top Bottom