• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
OMG! That game is GORGEOUS. I'm so getting a PS3 for this.

I love how the interface is small and out of the way.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'll be playing on PC. Mostly because PS3 users won't have access to all of those wonderful fan-made add-ons PC users will have.

That, and I'd rather use a mouse + keyboard for high level play than a controller.

finalark

SNORLAX
I prefer a PC also, but a PS3 is more affordable than a new PC right now.
If you're lucky Square will allow a mouse + keyboard option. I don't know, I'm very opposed to the idea of console MMOs unless they were specifically made with consoles in mind. In XIV's case it looks like they've been putting much more work into the PC version of the game than the console version.

TheLake

Smash Master
Im so scared to type in here

cause I assume everyone in here has played ALL the FFS

so I dont want spoilers or whatever

but i go hard for FF

I GO HARD

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've played IV, V, VI and X. All of them were fantastic and X borders on my brother's greatest RPG of all time. I think he still prefers terranigma though, which is another fantastic game by square (or was it square soft then?). Terranigma is also my favourite game of all time. Considering making a whole thread about it haha.

Anyway, in regards to FF, I really enjoyed some of the crazy things that happened in the older FFs, such as going to the moon or in to the under-world. Also the music from those games were so good:

FF V: Dear friends

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Terranigma is a fantastic game, and one of my top favorite SNES games that made it to Europe, but not the U.S.. Also, Terranigma was actually done by Enix, and it shows, especially when there are references, including sound effects, from another Enix game, Illusion of Gaia. Seeing as Square merged with Enix to create Square-Enix some years back, I suppose the game belongs to Square too now, but that goes without saying.

EDIT: Turns out the game was published by Enix in Japan and Nintedo in Europe and Australia. The actual developers were Quintet Co., Ltd..

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Terranigma is a fantastic game, and one of my top favorite SNES games that made it to Europe, but not the U.S.. Also, Terranigma was actually done by Enix, and it shows, especially when there are references, including sound effects, from another Enix game, Illusion of Gaia. Seeing as Square merged with Enix to create Square-Enix some years back, I suppose the game belongs to Square too now, but that goes without saying.

EDIT: Turns out the game was published by Enix in Japan and Nintedo in Europe and Australia. The actual developers were Quintet Co., Ltd..
Oh wow, that's rather cool, never knew that. And I totally agree that it's incredible. Sooooo goooood. :D

Terranigma: Sadness (Remastered)

My favourite VGM of all time is actually another piece from Terranigma (The original version of 'A hero's final day'. Even though the remastered versions are great, I just love the stripped back depth of the original piece. One of the few pieces that made me cry, putting it in context.) but this remastered version of one of the decent songs from terranigma's stunning soundtrack almost puts it up there. So beautiful, really captures the feel it was going for.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I've never heard of Terranigma o: I'll have to check it out.

FFXII Is actually my favorite Final Fantasy. It was the first one I played, and what got me into the series I also love the MMO style combat, the only thing I don't like about it is how the higher level spells became useless because of the super long cast time, and unable to heal while it's being cast, but the enemies can still physically attack you. D: I heard they fixed this in the IJS version? I don't have a system that can play it though =/ I know there are other "ways" to play it, but my computer can't run it either, FAIL. Lol, It doesn't have some pixel shader thing on the graphics card? ._.

finalark

SNORLAX
My biggest issue with XII was the Licence Board. I can understand asking us to unlock magic and abilities but telling me I can't use a sword because I haven't unlocked the licence to use it is just stupid.

I really hope Square gives us FFXII International HD some time soon.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Terranigma is such an awesome game, as with Illusion of Gaia.
My biggest issue with XII was the Licence Board. I can understand asking us to unlock magic and abilities but telling me I can't use a sword because I haven't unlocked the licence to use it is just stupid.

I really hope Square gives us FFXII International HD some time soon.
Yeah. The License board had a cool idea. Too bad all it encouraged me to do was go for Augments, Quickening, and some spells.
Weapons was an afterthought, and even then, I go for armor before that.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've never heard of Terranigma o: I'll have to check it out.

FFXII Is actually my favorite Final Fantasy. It was the first one I played, and what got me into the series I also love the MMO style combat, the only thing I don't like about it is how the higher level spells became useless because of the super long cast time, and unable to heal while it's being cast, but the enemies can still physically attack you. D: I heard they fixed this in the IJS version? I don't have a system that can play it though =/ I know there are other "ways" to play it, but my computer can't run it either, FAIL. Lol, It doesn't have some pixel shader thing on the graphics card? ._.
X was the first one I played and it was pretty awesome. It's combat system was good fun, even though you got a bit overpowered towards the end/past the end when you could get all those ultimate weapons and train on insane enemies like the cactus king and that worm that would blow you away (reminds me of FF VI now).

I also loved how the skill board forced you to make some tough decision with your key spheres and the moves you wanted. I remember in one game I left out Ultima (baaaaaad choice) and in another... can't remember. Btw ultima is such an awesome spell. Went from being an 'overdrive' - type attack in FFBTA (Nu Mou, you guys were awesome <3) to final spell in IV and V and VI and then to a powerful spell in X. Dunno whether that's good or bad.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
FFX was a lot of fun, but Holy sucked... ._.

Now Ultima, on the other hand, was awesome :D lol

Yuna=Ultimate White Mage/Summoner :p

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
FFX was a lot of fun, but Holy sucked... ._.

Now Ultima, on the other hand, was awesome :D lol

Yuna=Ultimate White Mage/Summoner :p
Funny thing with X is that by end/post game, Yuna didn't need magic, or her summons as she - and everyone else - could easily hit for 99,999 damage with just Quick Hit alone, making summons naught more than meat shields. I guess that's why they made Penance for the International Version, that way, the player can actually have a legitimate challenge even while uber overpowered.

:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Funny thing with X is that by end/post game, Yuna didn't need magic, or her summons as she - and everyone else - could easily hit for 99,999 damage with just Quick Hit alone, making summons naught more than meat shields. I guess that's why they made Penance for the International Version, that way, the player can actually have a legitimate challenge even while uber overpowered.

:phone:
Oh I haven't tried 'Penance'. Sounds like it could have been fun!

Also the Magus sisters and Anima did more than 99, 999 on their overdrives. Makes sense that Anima's my favourite Aeon.

All of them were pretty boss though. I used them so much on my first few play-throughs in the game so that second Seymour battle was just insanity. ><

Ironically Yuna becomes the strongest char in the game with her ultimate weapon. She was my first to get consistent 99, 999's on her attacks (same with my brother). Next came either Auron or Lulu, can't quite remember.

I loved X because it had a unique feel to it compared to the older FF games that I played later. =)

And I liked Holy. Maybe I got it to do more damage than you but it worked for me. Ultima was still ftw though. Love that spell to death. :D

A spell similar to Ultima is Luminaire from another square (or enix, or square soft? I'm not sure) game, Chrono Trigger. I love the fact that it was re-released on the 3DS and Ipod touch. Sad that Terranigma couldn't get that treatment. It truly deserves it. If I ever met Miyamoto i'd ask him to remake it lol.

I think with the recent re-release of Chrono Trigger that Chrono does have a slim but slight chance in to SSB4. If he does get in, Luminaire as his final smash would be so awesome. ^_^

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Lol I meant Holy sucked animation wise, it was lame. FF IX and XII had the best Holy imo, lol.

Anima's overdrive freaked me out at first, lol. I like Shiva and Bahamut's best. I haven't gotten the Magus Sisters yet.... about the only ones I haven't gotten. I didn't really feel like playing X post game for some reason.

finalark

SNORLAX
Anima's overdrive freaked me out at first, lol.
Anima is petty ****ed up. Especially when you know her backstory.

One thing that's really interesting is that nearly every time you hear the faith sing its different. Each Aeon has a different singer, with each singer being whoever sacrificed themselves to create said aeon (assumable, I might be wrong).

On the offhand, notice that in Yunalesca's chamber the faith are all singing off-key. Probably in despair.

I really like how Square used the hymn to convey narrative in X.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

One thing that's really interesting is that nearly every time you hear the faith sing its different. Each Aeon has a different singer, with each singer being whoever sacrificed themselves to create said aeon (assumable, I might be wrong).

On the offhand, notice that in Yunalesca's chamber the faith are all singing off-key. Probably in despair.

Yeah I noticed that as well. You can hear the different versions on youtube but I thnk I first subconsciously noticed it in game.

And darnnnn White Mage, the Magus Sisters are so worth the trouble. Their playstyle is so darn unique. And different to Yojimbo's, too. :D

Oh, holy's animation? I haven't seen it in other games but I kinda liked it in X.

I love all the aeon's Overdrives (two in the case of Valefor) but I love seeing the Magus Sisters', Shiva's and yea, probably Bahamut's and Anima's.

Come to think of it, the Magus sisters' overdrive is virtually a 5 minute long cinematic... Well not really but it does take ages lol.

Which reminds me the other thing that was spectacular about X, the cinematic cutscenes. Some of those were just so amazing and impressive for the time. ^_^

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium

By the 3rd Aeon I noticed the Hymms were slightly different. It was pretty neat, just a question though, what were they singing? Or was it just gibberish? Lol

D: Luco how have you not seen Holy in other games?

FFIX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVJz-7nMSEs
FFXII: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNCU90lJ2U&feature=related (skip to 4:23)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnF7VLpIao
FFXIV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEluQ50mXtc (skip to 1:10)

Even Mario Sports Mix's is cooler D:
(Skip to 11:41 to see the White Mage specials) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WFftMT2bs

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I regret not paying attention to Bravely Default until now, that game looks great.

Square, I'll forgive FFXIII if you localize Bravely Default and take my money.

Please? :(

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Ikr, it looks epic :c

Btw, are we allowed to talk about Dragon Quest in here? Lol

Edit: omg, I just realized the second FFXII Holy video I posted, Basch is the same as he just came out of Nalbina Fortress. How did they get Holy that early??????????? You can't get it until the end of the game before the last area .-.

finalark

SNORLAX
Btw, are we allowed to talk about Dragon Quest in here? Lol
There might be a thread for DQ that would be better to post in but we usually end up talking about other Square games in here anyway.

By the 3rd Aeon I noticed the Hymms were slightly different. It was pretty neat, just a question though, what were they singing? Or was it just gibberish? Lol
It's nonsense, mostly. But if you take the lyrics, reverse them, then translate them from Japanese into English they actually mean something. Or so I've heard.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
The only Dragon Quests I like are IX and VIII, the rest are kinda boring and repetative. DQX looks pretty neat though, I might get it if membership is free, or they do what Japan is doing (2hrs of free play per day) Won't be able to afford FFXIV and DQX membership at the same time, lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My favorite DQs are III, V, and VI. I haven't played VII yet. VIII was fun but was way too slow for a DQ game for me.
I played a bit of IX but I haven't gotten really into it. DQ games kinda feel different now for me.

I'll get X if it gets released over here. Still hope they make a traditional DQ again.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I have not made it very far in IX because it felt so slow, I don't remember VIII being that bad.

I believe I had just got the boat in VIII before I stopped. I also have IV and VI for the DS but have not played them. I need to play them more sometime, I enjoy the more traditional gameplay and fantasy setting more than whatever FF has been trying to do lately(XII was cool though.)

I also somehow have Dragon Warrior for the NES, so that makes DQI as well, though I never really played it and I don't think it works anymore. :/

I'm not really a MMO person and I don't really care for the pay to play model, so I'll keep it in mind but probably end up ignoring it.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
My favorite DQs are III, V, and VI. I haven't played VII yet. VIII was fun but was way too slow for a DQ game for me.
I played a bit of IX but I haven't gotten really into it. DQ games kinda feel different now for me.

I'll get X if it gets released over here. Still hope they make a traditional DQ again.
IX's main story is kinda bland, but the post game is awesome, it never ends lol. I got it on launch day and still play it.

finalark

SNORLAX
IX's main story is kinda bland, but the post game is awesome, it never ends lol. I got it on launch day and still play it.
As a long time MMO player DQIX's post game didn't really impress me that much. I liked the main game, though. Having a party consisting of characters you made is awesome. Plus I liked how whatever you had equipped was reflected onto the character model.

It's weird, you'd think Dragon Quest would be something I'd be crazy into but I have yet to find a DQ that absolutely enthralled me. But then again, I've only played VIII and IX.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
As a long time MMO player DQIX's post game didn't really impress me that much. I liked the main game, though. Having a party consisting of characters you made is awesome. Plus I liked how whatever you had equipped was reflected onto the character model.

It's weird, you'd think Dragon Quest would be something I'd be crazy into but I have yet to find a DQ that absolutely enthralled me. But then again, I've only played VIII and IX.
It isn't for everyone. But I like it since since it's nice and simple in terms of narrative, just like Pokemon and Zelda games are.

If you enjoyed that part of IX, I suggest playing Dragon Quest III where you can create your party (or go solo). If you want something that has more of a story, I suggest V or VI. V was more charming for me, but VI had a job system just like III's which was fun. V has a monster party system though which was cool.

finalark

SNORLAX
It isn't for everyone. But I like it since since it's nice and simple in terms of narrative, just like Pokemon and Zelda games are.

If you enjoyed that part of IX, I suggest playing Dragon Quest III where you can create your party (or go solo). If you want something that has more of a story, I suggest V or VI. V was more charming for me, but VI had a job system just like III's which was fun. V has a monster party system though which was cool.
For me story isn't really a big deal. Its the game play that matters and if a game's story happens to be interesting that's a plus but not required. I might give V or VI a go, since I like having a lot of tools to customize my characters with.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I played VI... it was ok... The job system really wasn't that great because the characters stats leaned towards certain classes and kinda ruined it. :c

I bought IV a couple months ago but I can't get myself to play it. D: lol

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I found DQV today, but it's a sequel to IV right?

Guess I should finally start up that one.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
IV, V, and VI only share one connection. But the story isn't really connected like how the first three games are.
I haven't beaten IV yet, but I've only played the NES version. I'm really biased towards V though, so it's up to you if you want to play IV first.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Eh, I'll go in order, that way I'm not wanting anything that was added in the later games.

Top Bottom