• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Jem.

Smash Master
It probably is true. It was trending worldwide on twitter too. It isn't too surprising, the game was in development hell.

On the plus side, that should mean Nomura is working on Kingdom Hearts 3 immediately since Versus is why he wasn't :). The game did look cool though, so a shame it just turned out to be a game trapped in development hell.

finalark

SNORLAX
It probably is true. It was trending worldwide on twitter too. It isn't too surprising, the game was in development hell.

On the plus side, that should mean Nomura is working on Kingdom Hearts 3 immediately since Versus is why he wasn't :). The game did look cool though, so a shame it just turned out to be a game trapped in development hell.
On the offhand I'd imagine we would have ended up with a Twilight Princess scenario where Square hypes the hell out of it then when its finally released everyone hates it because Square hyped it to an impossible level.
Yes, Zelda fans, that's EXACTLY why you don't like TP. Don't give me this "the overworld is empty" bull****. /backontopic

Oh, and I guess that means Numora is going to work on KH3. I'd be more enthusiastic if that franchise didn't loose me at Days.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Also recently beat Final Fantasy IV DS, it was a good game. I liked the story and the pacing and of course, the music. It was difficult for me (almost as hard as III). I was around level 80 when I beat it. Now I'm slowly starting to play The After Years.
III was probably the hardest FF for me, but that's mainly because of the final dungeon.
I'm surprised that the DS version tried to stay true to the original by not adding in any save spots.
Well, there goes Versus XIII. According to a report on Kotaku their Japanese editor's sources tell him that Square has canned Versus XIII. It hasn't been confirmed by Square themselves yet but I wouldn't be surprised if there was truth in this.

http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-canceled-according-report/
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, but I doubt that it's true. A mod on GAF said there was a conflicting rumor saying Versus news will be shown at TGS. Plus I'm skeptical of this rumor because of Kotaku (and by Brian Ashcraft).

finalark

SNORLAX
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, but I doubt that it's true. A mod on GAF said there was a conflicting rumor saying someone will be shown at TGS. Plus I'm skeptical of this rumor because of Kotaku (and by Brian Ashcraft).
Well I guess we'll just have to wait for TGS to see which rumor is true. I wouldn't be surprised if it resurfaced branded as FFXV.

Man, soon we're going to reach FFXX.

EDIT:

OH HAI THAIR MOAR RUMARS!

This time its a FFXIII-3 rumor (old news) and that Square will be holding a conference on September 1 to talk about the future of Final Fantasy. I foresee not much but XIV expansion packs for the next several years assuming 2.0 is successful.

http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-xiii-3-rumors-ahead-square-enix-announcement/

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Also recently beat Final Fantasy IV DS, it was a good game. I liked the story and the pacing and of course, the music. It was difficult for me (almost as hard as III). I was around level 80 when I beat it. Now I'm slowly starting to play The After Years.
FFIV has my favorite FF OST. Also might be my favorite FF game.

On the offhand I'd imagine we would have ended up with a Twilight Princess scenario where Square hypes the hell out of it then when its finally released everyone hates it because Square hyped it to an impossible level.
Yes, Zelda fans, that's EXACTLY why you don't like TP. Don't give me this "the overworld is empty" bull****. /backontopic

Oh, and I guess that means Numora is going to work on KH3. I'd be more enthusiastic if that franchise didn't loose me at Days.
I really enjoy TP, OoT had already taught me to not trust hype by that point. :3

Sucks to hear about Verses XIII if it's true, and I wouldn't be surprised though.

Jem.

Smash Master
I don't know man.. When things trend worldwide on twitter, the same morning that Dark Knight Rises officially came out.. You know something is up.

A lot of time, companies get sniffed out before they've released the information. Everytime Diablo 3 was delayed, the public knew before they even announced it.

The fact is, the game HAS been in development hell foreverrr. I hate to keep repeating that term, but it's very Duke Nukem-esque right now. And honestly, Nomura might have more stock in Kingdom Hearts. Because if KH3 isn't amazing, it's hard to imagine the series growing. (Although BBS and KH3D will be fantastic additions to the series. BBS is the best game in the series IMO and it isnt on a console)

I mean, hell, we even knew Osama was dead before Obama's press conference because of that blogger.

Still a shame though, that CGI was so cool. But I doubt they made much progress since that CGI.

finalark

SNORLAX
The fact is, the game HAS been in development hell foreverrr. I hate to keep repeating that term, but it's very Duke Nukem-esque right now. And honestly, Nomura might have more stock in Kingdom Hearts. Because if KH3 isn't amazing, it's hard to imagine the series growing. (Although BBS and KH3D will be fantastic additions to the series. BBS is the best game in the series IMO and it isnt on a console)
Well its more like "If KH3 doesn't do very well expect the franchise to be canned if something that sells better pops up not long after."

I want Chrono Break.

Still a shame though, that CGI was so cool. But I doubt they made much progress since that CGI.
A game play trailer was released well over a year ago. And that was pretty much the last we saw of Versus XIII.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Recruiting characters in Chrono Cross. :054:

I think I missed out on Leena? Oh well, I might just wait for a new game plus and continue the rest of the game blind.

But I don't know, I'm not that far yet. :/

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Recruiting characters in Chrono Cross. :054:

I think I missed out on Leena? Oh well, I might just wait for a new game plus and continue the rest of the game blind.

But I don't know, I'm not that far yet. :/

The requirements for recruiting Leena is something that made me feel dumb because it seems weird (even though it makes sense if you think about it) in that you have to reject Kid at first for it to happen
which like I said, makes sense because it's the first time you actually meet the girl that at the start of the game Serge has a vision about killing

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I missed recruiting Leena on my first playthrough, same goes with Poshul (even though you don't have to recruit Leena to get him).
What made me mad was I missed recruiting Razzly, even though I chose doing the Hydra Marshes.

So yeah, no Glenn or Razzly. All I got was Korcha for going that route. lol

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh that's another one that's weird. With Glenn it's like you have to pick the choice that you think is the wrong one. And I remember getting into the mansion there's that masked guy, some "Pierre" or something guy and...a 3rd person that I totally forget about that you can choose from, but I can't remember the 3rd person at all.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Versus XIII confirmed to not be canceled. Just Kotaku trying to get people to go to their site again.
As for Twitter trends, I usually try to not let that factor now. Latest one before this was people wondering if those leaked MGS5 pictures were real.

I don't think it was worldwide, but still.

finalark

SNORLAX
Good, Versus XIII is still kicking. I was honestly fooled into thinking that it had been canceled, which was fairly plausible given that the last trailer we saw was over a year ago.

Well, at least we can still look forward to it.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Is it safe to say we are not getting Type-0 in the US though?

I haven't been keeping up with that.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Linking to Kotaku is exactly what they want. lol
Is it safe to say we are not getting Type-0 in the US though?

I haven't been keeping up with that.
There was a rumor that it is being localized already, but we haven't heard any official news on it.
Some people are thinking that it might be getting some Vita upgrade, but who knows. There's no solid evidence for that.

Our best bet is that or at least a digital download.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
PSP game that came out last year in Japan, but there hasn't been any indication whether it will get an English release yet.

Welp, got ninja'd. My bad for not refreshing the page. :I

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oooohhh, it was Agito XIII. I remember reading and seeing a bunch of stuff on it and thinking it was cool. Well, it's unfortunate, but I suppose we'll manage.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, seeing as a music track from Type-0 will make it as DLC for Theatrhythm in America at some point, it would make sense for them to release a localized version, regardless of what form it takes; download, UMD, etc..

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used Sprigg, Glenn, and Serge in Chrono Cross because they could perform Z slash when Sprigg transforms into slash

finalark

SNORLAX

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
More like "Final Fantasy XIV: The Fixed Version". I imagine it's still the same game, but with all the updates and patches the PC version has. Still, I might give this a go, if only for the sake of saying, "yeah, I've played (and maybe beaten) Final Fantasy XIV". Hell, I'm still missing V, XI and XII for FF games I've beaten. You know what? I think I'll play V soon tonight. Thanks for the unintended inspiration, finalark.

EDIT: I actually read the article. So it's an entirely different game altogether? What about the original XIV?

finalark

SNORLAX
More like "Final Fantasy XIV: The Fixed Version". I imagine it's still the same game, but with all the updates and patches the PC version has. Still, I might give this a go, if only for the sake of saying, "yeah, I've played (and maybe beaten) Final Fantasy XIV". Hell, I'm still missing V, XI and XII for FF games I've beaten. You know what? I think I'll play V soon tonight. Thanks for the unintended inspiration, finalark.

You're welcome! I'm actually a pretty big fan of V. If you don't mind grinding and you get addicted to the character customization its actually really fun.

And when XIV RR comes out I actually plan on dropping my WoW subscription to give it ago.

EDIT: I actually read the article. So it's an entirely different game altogether? What about the original XIV?
Buried beneath two years of patches.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So who plans on getting the HD re-release of Final Fantasy X? I sure am. I've played and beaten the game already years ago, but I wouldn't mind revisiting the game again, especially if it means potentially playing the version that has the Dark Aeons and Penance as the superbosses that the U.S. versions never got. Plus, trophies...

finalark

SNORLAX
So who plans on getting the HD re-release of Final Fantasy X? I sure am. I've played and beaten the game already years ago, but I wouldn't mind revisiting the game again, especially if it means potentially playing the version that has the Dark Aeons and Penance as the superbosses that the U.S. versions never got. Plus, trophies...
What I'm really hoping for is re-recorded voice acting and a revised script. That's one thing X really needs IMO.

But yes, I really want all of that bonus content too.

Its also really nice to see Square remaking a game that isn't I, II or IV.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
No.

I'd rather buy Persona 4 Golden when I don't even have a Vita than play FFX again. :mad088:

damn the Vita costs too much.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What I'm really hoping for is re-recorded voice acting and a revised script. That's one thing X really needs IMO.

But yes, I really want all of that bonus content too.

Its also really nice to see Square remaking a game that isn't I, II or IV.
Agreed. The voice acting was rather awful. They can still keep the original voice actors, but they need to do a... better job, I guess. Although, Auron and Jecht were pretty cool, regardless of how their voices sound to others; I had no problem with their voice acting.

All that really leaves, as far as remakes go, are Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX. True, while FFX HD isn't much a remake more than its a port, it's still interesting to see how it's getting attention.

inb4 FFVII HD PC port

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I may be misinformed, it's all second hand knowledge for me. I've not gone out of my way to research it. I'm just waiting for Theaterythm DLC.

finalark

SNORLAX
Agreed. The voice acting was rather awful. They can still keep the original voice actors, but they need to do a... better job, I guess. Although, Auron and Jecht were pretty cool, regardless of how their voices sound to others; I had no problem with their voice acting.

I have to agree with you here. Auron and Jecht did a petty solid job. Everyone else... could use some work. Thankfully James Arnold Taylor has been in a million other games since X and has had some practice. He's not bad in Dissidia.

All that really leaves, as far as remakes go, are Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX.
True, while FFX HD isn't much a remake more than its a port, it's still interesting to see how it's getting attention.
Seeing how its the PlayStation FFs that put the franchise on the map of the western gaming world I'm surprised they aren't really chomping at the bit to remake them. Hopefully they'll eventually re-release XII. With the alternative leveling system that isn't the god-awful licence board.

inb4 FFVII HD PC port
Do we know if its HD yet? I think its just a port of the old PC version of FFVII. Meaning that if you want to play it prepare to go through a million back doors to get it running.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

Nah, I probably won't. I already have FFX on the PS2, and with my PS2 literally next to my PS3, I can just play it whenever. Of course, I might get a re-release for PS3 if it has a bunch of bonus and re-done stuff. The downside to that would be it would make my Prima Strategy Guide for the game kind of useless.

Top Bottom