• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I have to agree with you here. Auron and Jecht did a petty solid job. Everyone else... could use some work. Thankfully James Arnold Taylor has been in a million other games since X and has had some practice. He's not bad in Dissidia.
That is true. Practice makes perfect, so he can really give Tidus a better performance vocal-wise.

Seeing how its the PlayStation FFs that put the franchise on the map of the western gaming world I'm surprised they aren't really chomping at the bit to remake them. Hopefully they'll eventually re-release XII. With the alternative leveling system that isn't the god-awful licence board.
Honestly, I've never played XII, and didn't have a PS2 during the time it was released, so I can definitely benefit from a re-release via the PSN.

Do we know if its HD yet? I think its just a port of the old PC version of FFVII. Meaning that if you want to play it prepare to go through a million back doors to get it running.
Oh, you're right, it said nothing about it being HD. They did say it will have an achievement system, cloud saves, and the ability to increase character stats for a fee, but that's about it.
Nah, I probably won't. I already have FFX on the PS2, and with my PS2 literally next to my PS3, I can just play it whenever. Of course, I might get a re-release for PS3 if it has a bunch of bonus and re-done stuff. The downside to that would be it would make my Prima Strategy Guide for the game kind of useless.
It wouldn't render your guide entirely useless. It just means you can't really use it for the Dark Aeon or Penance battles, unless the International Version (assuming that is what the HD re-release will reflect) is really that much different than the version we're used to.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I was fine with the license board for the most part. Grinding for AP instead of just EXP was what made it fun.
Weapon and Armor licenses though were awful. That was a pretty bad decision.

I haven't played the International version for XII, but I liked how you could they changed up the license board to where you had to choose a class at the start. This makes things a bit more diverse. I really wish the character's outfits changed to reflect what class they were like the promo art.

And no, I don't know why the guys are trying to climb a tree. lol
The art looks nice though. I would like to see Yoshida as the character designer for the next FF game instead of Nomura.

And apart from the story/character problems in XII, I really liked the game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Honestly, I've never played XII, and didn't have a PS2 during the time it was released, so I can definitely benefit from a re-release via the PSN.

Its actually a pretty solid game. If you can get past the game's issues there's a ton of content and the more western take on Final Fantasy was actually pretty refreshing.

Weapon and Armor licenses though were awful. That was a pretty bad decision.

This is pretty much the only issue I had with the License board. If it was just for magic, abilities and quickenings I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Dat Penelo. That is all.

The art looks nice though. I would like to see Yoshida as the character designer for the next FF game instead of Nomura.
Indeed. I like Yoshida's designs more than Nomura's zipper fetish.

And apart from the story/character problems in XII, I really liked the game.
Honestly, outside of Vaan and Penelo being the result of an executive meddling I really didn't have any issues with the game's story.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
The license board's layout sucks, otherwise I have no problems with it, not even weapons/armor.

But the bad layout forces you to grab skills/weapons/armor you might not want if you are forcing the character into something like a class.

I would like to try out the international system and would take HD FFXII over HD FFX anyday.

finalark

SNORLAX
Makes you wonder why they don't just bundle X and XII together as an HD collection. I'm sure there's enough space for both of them on a blue-ray disk.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
If it was my decision, I would've changed the weapon licenses into things that your class can't equip at default in the late part of the license board. Kind of like how FFV had that as one of the job abilities.

While I know (or rather, I've heard) that XII's script has been changed around, I would've liked if it was a bit more character driven like it was at the start of the game instead of having it through just the war. XII didn't have a single definitive lead hero similar to VI. If the character interactions were on the level on VI though, I'd be pleased. I guess the war driven story is more realistic though.

And Yoshida Akihiko's drawings for Bravely Default looks pretty nice. I just hope the game's good.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, Playstation 2 discs are on average, 4.7 GB. If it were dual-layered (I don't know of any PS2 game that uses dual-layered discs), it would be around 8.5 GB.

A Playstation 3 disc is 25 GB. That's pretty much all that needs to be said, but for the sake of doing so, I'll also state more; a dual-layered Blu-ray disc is 50 GB, and a BDXL (though I doubt the PS3 will ever need to use one of those anytime ever) can be anywhere between 100-128 GB in size.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh same. My bedroom currently houses a small 12 inch or so TV, and a SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS1, and VHS/DVD combo player. And a giant mass of chords. :bee:
Haha, I actually don't keep all of my stuff hooked up. Older systems are put away just to make things cleaner.
Only consoles/handhelds I don't have anymore are the NES, PS1, GBA SP, first DS, and Game Gear.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Sounds like my room.

Yeah, but I bet your room doesn't have the distinction of not having been vaccuumed in months, lol.

Edit: And naturally there's only room in the TV for one of those at a time and 1 extra wall socket that the fan often takes up, so I have to alternate with the systems. Forgot to mention my original Gameboy and GBA up there too.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681

finalark

SNORLAX
Bump AND double post!

Did you know that Square is putting out another expansion pack for Final Fantasy XI due in 2013? Do you care? No to both of those? Well, you know what they say.

Anyway, here's a link to the game's website. Watch the trailer to listen to someone put emphasis on the wrong syllable.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/adoulin/index.html

Vana'DIEL. A world blessed by the GODess Altana. It is HERE that brave souls meet and part. Each ENCOUNTER weaving another THREad, into a TAPAStry of grand ADventure.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think Square gets the point of MMO's. You release 1 good one and milk it, not continuously release bad ones

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't think Square gets the point of MMO's. You release 1 good one and milk it, not continuously release bad ones
It's my understanding that XI is actually a solid MMO. I wouldn't know, since I've never played it, but if they're still releasing expansions and the servers are still going to this day, then that must say something about the game. As long as they really do fix XIV as they claim they have, then that game shouldn't be bad either. Although, I do agree that they should've just left XI as the only MMO and focus on more single-player Final Fantasy titles. If they want to add multiplayer, they shouldn't do so on an MMO scale, in my opinion.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's my understanding that XI is actually a solid MMO. I wouldn't know, since I've never played it, but if they're still releasing expansions and the servers are still going to this day, then that must say something about the game.
XI is a game that was solid back when it first came out in 2003. Its a game from an era in MMO game design in which it was believed that the correct way to make MMOs was to make them as grindy and difficult as possible. XI is from a time in which the words "casual" and "MMO" were never used in the same sentence. And frankly, if you ever give XI a go, it really shows.

That being said, it's actually a really fun and really addicting game once you pierce that six foot thick concrete wall it called an entry barrier. I mean, this game really wants you to figure everything out yourself. If it wasn't for the fact that a veteran player was kind enough to give me a few pointers, I would have never have figured out how to do anything in that game.

And while I'm taking about XI I'm just going to say that it has hands-down the best community I've ever seen in an MMORPG.

Damn it, every time I talk about XI it makes me want to restart my account so I can keep working on my Black Mage level.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
XI is a game that was solid back when it first came out in 2003. Its a game from an era in MMO game design in which it was believed that the correct way to make MMOs was to make them as grindy and difficult as possible. XI is from a time in which the words "casual" and "MMO" were never used in the same sentence. And frankly, if you ever give XI a go, it really shows.

That being said, it's actually a really fun and really addicting game once you pierce that six foot thick concrete wall it called an entry barrier. I mean, this game really wants you to figure everything out yourself. If it wasn't for the fact that a veteran player was kind enough to give me a few pointers, I would have never have figured out how to do anything in that game.

And while I'm taking about XI I'm just going to say that it has hands-down the best community I've ever seen in an MMORPG.

Damn it, every time I talk about XI it makes me want to restart my account so I can keep working on my Black Mage level.
Ahhh, so it requires tons of grinding to get anywhere. It appears the game has aged, but by the sounds of it, it seems to be a solid game to this day, despite having the old MMO feel in terms of grinding. I may never get to play XI, but I do hope to get into XIV when it's released for the PS3. Frankly speaking, I only want to play through the main story, just so I could say I beat the game (not counting any expansions). I'm currently playing FFV; the only FF title between I-X that I have yet to beat, so once I finish that, I can say I've played and beaten Final Fantasy I-X. I still need to play XII, and I have played and beaten XIII and XIII-2, the former of which I did enjoy despite the change in formula (being linear and all).

finalark

SNORLAX
Ahhh, so it requires tons of grinding to get anywhere. It appears the game has aged, but by the sounds of it, it seems to be a solid game to this day, despite having the old MMO feel in terms of grinding. I may never get to play XI, but I do hope to get into XIV when it's released for the PS3.

I'd suggest getting it for PC. Add-ons and keyboards are always winning combos for MMORPGs. And Square is planning on revamping the game's engine so the game runs just fine on lower-end PCs anyway.

I still need to play XII, and I have played and beaten XIII and XIII-2, the former of which I did enjoy despite the change in formula (being linear and all).
XII is another FF that's actually pretty different from most others. First game (offline) FF with real time combat, much less linear with tons of things that you can do in between advancing the main quest, a very western-RPG influenced story, but its still one of my favorites. Maybe its because it goes out of its way to try something new.

And honestly, I don't know why everyone says that XIII is so different. I've said it a million times before, it takes a lot from X. XII should be considered the "black sheep" game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
And honestly, I don't know why everyone says that XIII is so different. I've said it a million times before, it takes a lot from X. XII should be considered the "black sheep" game.
The thing with XII is that even though it's very different, it works out to create a really deep game. XIII may have borrowed notes from X in terms of story progression (to a certain extent), but the thing XIII lacks compared to X are various side quests (the C'ieth Stone missions are just too repetitive and shallow to be of any significance), and NPC the player can interact with. Honestly, my biggest gripe is that after completing the main story, there really isn't much incentive to playing anymore. Yes, there are some superbosses to be had, but they're actually way too easy to defeat with the right set-up, and the set-ups needed (accessories, weapons, etc.) to beat said bosses are also easy to acquire. Final Fantasy X had many superbosses in the arena with varying difficulty, and even though Nemesis was a joke, Penance and the Dark Aeons helped to rectify that in the International Version of X.

Again, I enjoyed XIII for what it is, and the battle system is fantastic, but it's some of the limiting things in the game that hurts it, including a lack of exploration and side quests, and limiting characters' stat growth; you can't max out their Crystarium until AFTER beating the game.

finalark

SNORLAX

Again, I enjoyed XIII for what it is, and the battle system is fantastic, but it's some of the limiting things in the game that hurts it, including a lack of exploration and side quests, and limiting characters' stat growth; you can't max out their Crystarium until AFTER beating the game.
Indeed. XIII is certainly among the weaker titles of the series. Although I still believe that its not as different as people tend to make it out to be.

While we're talking about game play, I'd like to point out that in my honest opinion V is the best out of all the SNES Final Fantasies in that category.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Indeed. XIII is certainly among the weaker titles of the series. Although I still believe that its not as different as people tend to make it out to be.
Well, the game progression is still very different, as well as level progression. There are other things, like lack of towns and NPCs that make it different from other Final Fantasies. Still, as stated before, even though it's one of the weaker titles in the series, I still enjoy playing it every once in a while. Getting all the achievements were a pain though, mostly because of "Treasure Hunter", but that's just a nitpick.
While we're talking about game play, I'd like to point out that in my honest opinion V is the best out of all the SNES Final Fantasies in that category.
That's because V took III's job system and perfected the hell out of it. Yeah, X-2 did a nice job as well, but V's job system was just so deep, and the level of customization was insane. Mind you, I have yet to beat the game; I'm going by what I've experienced so far. My personal favorite gameplay in a Final Fantasy though has to go to IX.

finalark

SNORLAX
That's because V took III's job system and perfected the hell out of it. Yeah, X-2 did a nice job as well, but V's job system was just so deep, and the level of customization was insane.
Exactly. The I really don't feel that IV or VI offer quite the same level of depth in their game play. They're good games, don't get me wrong, but for different reasons.

Mind you, I have yet to beat the game; I'm going by what I've experienced so far. My personal favorite gameplay in a Final Fantasy though has to go to IX.[/COLOR]
IX is my favorite Final Fantasy, hands down.

I really want a remake of it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
IX is my favorite Final Fantasy, hands down.

I really want a remake of it.
That makes the both of us. VI, VIII, and IX are my favorite Final Fantasy games. Also, IX has my favorite Final Fantasy character in the entire series; Adelbert Steiner.

Also, In May 2009 interview with IGN, Takeshi Arakawa mentioned he wants to make a sequel to Final Fantasy IX more than any other game.

Also interesting to note is that Hironobu Sakaguchi says that IX is his personal favorite, as it comes the closest to what he believes a Final Fantasy should be, and Nobuo Uematsu has expressed that his work for IX's soundtrack is his personal favorite.

I'm actually a fan of the classic FFI and the weird FFII with is funny skill level stuff, lol.
FFI is a very simple game, and being the first game in the series on the NES, it definitely shows. It is that simple gameplay that gives it a charm that RPGs today could never get away with. FFII's system was actually really cool. Of course, there was exploiting the hell out of the multiple command glitch, allowing the player to develop their party much faster than intended. While the glitch was fixed in later releases, it was still majorly easy to max your characters to ******** levels at the start of the game if you know how to go about do so, and it was so fun.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
That reminds me: Not sure if this has been said, but Square-Enix announced another game in the Final Fantasy XIII story that will star Lightning. I'm guessing it's Final Fantasy XIII-3 or something. Here's the source:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/31/work-on-square-enixs-new-lightning-saga-project-has-just-begun/

Honestly, whether the game becomes good (maybe even better than XIII-2) or not, I just hope they can finally conclude the game's story. That cliffhanger in XIII-2 was such a horrible thing to leave the gamers.

finalark

SNORLAX
LOL Finalark, saving pic.
The only thing that's missing is "make Chrono Break" with no darts anywhere near it.

Also, Realm Reborn game play from gamescom in the video below. Game play starts at 10:06 and ends at 16:21. Highlights include jumping, marked quest givers, chocobos, the dragoon class and a pylon. The rest of the video is just concept art that's been on the Lodestone for over a year now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwenut2xit8

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I am considering buying Final Fantasy III to my Samsung Galaxy SII (Android). It has a hefty price tag, so I was wondering if a RPG noob like me should go for it?

I need a game that I can pick up and play for a couple of minutes sometimes. This will be my first Final Fantasy game. I haven't played so many RPGs, just all of the Pokémon games, Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi...

finalark

SNORLAX
I am considering buying Final Fantasy III to my Samsung Galaxy SII (Android). It has a hefty price tag, so I was wondering if a RPG noob like me should go for it?

I need a game that I can pick up and play for a couple of minutes sometimes.
If you've never played a Final Fantasy and you want something you can pick up and play the NES era Final Fantasies are not good choices. III in particular isn't a very good choice because the only place you can save is on the over world meaning you'll end up spending hours in dungeons and you'll have to do them in one go.

This will be my first Final Fantasy game. I haven't played so many RPGs, just all of the Pokémon games, Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi...
Honestly I'd just find a Final Fantasy that appeals to you and give it a whirl. If III is your choice just be warned of the above. And be warned that its game play does feel pretty dated.

Top Bottom