• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'll see how it goes when FFXIV-2 hits. Right now I've heard the game is still in shambles but is slightly better than when it first started. IDK, after reading the design doc it sounds like they're addressing every issue I've heard in every review in 2.0

Can you do me a favor and elaborate on how they're handling the game is terrible? I haven't played the game so I can't really say anything.

EDIT: Being a pseudo-WoW isn't a bad thing. Seeing that FFXI aged like ****.
They're making tiers of armor like WoW, but making them age way to fast. What's good one month is complete trash the next, etc. Ifrit weapons were good for barely 2 months, and they were insanely hard to get.

He is trying to keep the difficulty of FF, but give the armor tierity of other mmos.

Edit: Yoshi made FFXIV Barely playable. 2.0 will make it playable. But it still looks/feels like a boring time sink...
Also, they have done nothing [even in 2.0] to fix crafting/land classes, which are boring as....well go try it lol.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah, what are you using atm? I'm using a Behemoth/albino lobo/Sen robo

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've just started really, so I've got a Cait Sith (which sucks, I'm barely using it now), a Gandayaks, and a Gahongas.

Can't wait to get more though. :>

finalark

SNORLAX
They're making tiers of armor like WoW, but making them age way to fast. What's good one month is complete trash the next, etc. Ifrit weapons were good for barely 2 months, and they were insanely hard to get.

He is trying to keep the difficulty of FF, but give the armor tierity of other mmos.
I don't know, most FFs really aren't that hard aside from the earlier titles and XI. Regardless, you have to remember that FFXIV is supposed to be an FF MMO for a modern age, not FFXI-2.

Edit: Yoshi made FFXIV Barely playable. 2.0 will make it playable. But it still looks/feels like a boring time sink...
Also, they have done nothing [even in 2.0] to fix crafting/land classes, which are boring as....well go try it lol.
I don't know, it looks like it could be fun. And isn't an MMO kind of a timesink anyway? Eh, I know I'll try it eventually.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ It takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to get a craft to 50, and all you do it hit Enter Key. If you don't level these, you'll suck. >_>

As for the first part, I'm aiming that the boss drops have had the rarity/difficulty of XI, but the longevity of...a month~3months tops?

finalark

SNORLAX
^ It takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to get a craft to 50, and all you do it hit Enter Key. If you don't level these, you'll suck. >_>
At least crafting in other mmos is optional (in theory, in practice if you choose to skip out on crafting in most games you'll be ****ed when you hit cap and you have to start giving a **** about the game's economy).

As for the first part, I'm aiming that the boss drops have had the rarity/difficulty of XI, but the longevity of...a month~3months tops?
That might change. But I guess we'll see.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Crafting in xiv isn't optional at all, but meh. IMO, monster hunter is the best "mom" ;p

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Not sure what you guys are talking about. I have been playing FF14 for a good while and I never craft, and I have been just fine. I don't see how you think it would be "not optional"

I think the game is fun and keeps getting better and better.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not sure what you guys are talking about. I have been playing FF14 for a good while and I never craft, and I have been just fine. I don't see how you think it would be "not optional"

I think the game is fun and keeps getting better and better.
I haven't played XIV yet. I played XI and it was pretty lulzy. I think I'll stick with Old Republic for the time being.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Yeah i heard mixed things on the old republic. You enjoying it??

Good call Werekill, FFVI is one of my favorites. Sabin and Celes!!! yaaaaaaaaaa!!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
13-2 is pretty nice. Found a huge plot hole(kinda) though. Prolly will post it later :p

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
On a vaguely related note, am I the only one who is surprised that FFXI hasn't gone free to play.
Well if XIV can charge, so can XI lol. XI is still better, imo.

My friend is still playing XIV, and it almost lures me back in, if it weren't for the fact I know I can't balance an mmo into my life( much less, FF one)

The jobs, Dragoon, Warrior, etc, overlap the crappy originals, though they only bring a few new abilities per class into the table.

Artifact gear is sexy, stats are good, but stat mean nothing in the game. I had Double Materia gear (which is like altering stats), and did the same damage as a guy naked, as long as we had the same weapon. So theres that.

Crafting does go by faster...but I'd still use an Enter key tool like a dipping bird or something cause it's mad boring.

Argh the hard part is the community is nice and swell. I miss the people but not the craptastic game.

If only MHFO had been localized, I'd be in heaven...

On a non-mmo note, I'm getting towards the end of 13-2's story. Not impressed on a certain concept, lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
Argh the hard part is the community is nice and swell. I miss the people but not the craptastic game.
This is how I feel about FFXI as a whole. The people I met when I played that game are some of the nicest and most cooperative people I've ever had the pleasure of working with in a game. Sadly, the game itself is one of the worst MMORPGs I've ever played.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah I have a friend in Wales I've been friends with since the 8th grade (almost 8 years now). I love that game for the friends it brought me. (It also brought me my fiance XD but it's whateva)

Aside from VII, FF has a great community overall though. I don't know what it is to be exact, it's just...swell :D.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah lol. I will say MH is a far better game series with a cool community, though :3

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah lol. I will say MH is a far better game series with a cool community, though :3
If MH is "Monster Hunter", then dunno, not really familiar with it. But I will say the FFVII fans seem to be a LOT weirder than the FFVI and FFVIII fans are. Even during that age of RIDICULOUS mass fanficiton, the constant Zell/Selphie and Locke/Terra fanfics were NOTHING in amount compared to how vicious things got between the Cloud/Aeris, and Cloud/Tifa fangroups.

Matt07

Smash Master
Aside from VII, FF has a great community overall though. I don't know what it is to be exact, it's just...swell :D.
Cloud and Tifa vs Cloud and Aeris...go! xD. On the topic of FFVII, I'm currently trying to level up my team to 99 so I can have a level 99 Aeris. My main party is currently level 66 it's not too bad so far...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Man about to finish the main story of 13-2 Wednesday. Been quite nice to be honest.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'm really liking it so far. Just about finished the main story, but I'm just wandering around, and doing some fragment hunting and stuff. Might get some better monsters too. :3

I was one of those people that liked XIII, but I do think that XIII-2 is a nice improvement.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Warning massive wall of text incoming.

FFVII Crisis Core: What it did wrong.

So being the kinda guy I am, I just wasn't satisfied with how Crisis Core handled the story of Zack and how it fits into the completion of FFVII.

1. Unnecessary and or changed plot points: Although for some people Genesis and Angeal were cool additions to the cast of FFVII characters. But for me, they were Unnecessary. I'm not saying they shouldn't have had other 1st Class SOLDIERS, but their involvement in the story were sub par. Let's start with Angeal and the Buster Sword.

Buster Sword: For one, the Buster Sword didn't need more back story then it already had. It was used by Zack, role model, dear and deceased friend of Cloud. There literally needed nothing more to be added to that whole plot point, they could have started Zack off with the sword, with no introduction to it, and it would have been completely fine, even better imo. But they decided to milk it for all it's worth. Being one of the icons of the franchise.

Angeal's desertion and death by Zack: Why did they even do this? Like it was kinda irrational to even do the things Angeal did. And it was even more ******** that they resolved it the way they did. This whole thing could have been much cooler. Like had a villain of some sort kill Angeal and have Zack take revenge, or have Shinra kill Angeal. At least that way we could have Zack add some character development towards hating Shinra.I'm just throwing stuff off the top of my head, and I've already made a better story then what Square did here.

Zack's Scars: another thing that could have been written off as pre-story, or at least done in a different way. Basically in a anticlimactic scene, he gets his scar from the fight with Angeal. Although I get what they were trying to do by showing a physical scar for the emotional one he just made, it's still pretty lame, and corny.

Genesis in General: Why did they even add this character? He just messed with the story and the setting to no end. This character didn't even need to be included. Like, we already had a 1st Class SOLDIER leave Shinra, (Sephiroth) why would we another 2? He changed plot points like the scene in the Nibelheim reactor. Just him appearing in the scene makes it contradictory to the origional, but him adding to the plot with Sephiroth's insanity was what broke the camel's back. Even the part with Tifa carrying cloud back to Nibelhiem and the constant Genesis clones attacking, was contradicting and unnecessary. I get it square, you need more enemies so you can gain levels, but don't freaking mess with the plot to add them in. That pissed me off more then it probably should have. Which brings me to my next topic. (btw I'm not done with Genesis)

Genesis Clones: Completely unnecessary, why square even add these? These create more inconsistencies more and more pointless plot points that actually appear in the story, then it does as what it was intended to. Be mindless enemies to gain exp. I know it's hard to figure out what you can do with such a limited universe, especially since you already made the entire world and had only one enemy to Shinra throughout it. But why clones? Why unimportant character who doesn't even get mentioned in FFVII clones? Like, I'm pretty sure if a mass Genesis Clone army attacked Juno AND Midgar just a few years before FFVII started, Cloud's party would have at least had one hint or reference to what happened. But no, all we knew about Juno, was it was created by Shinra against Wutai in the Wutai War. Which is another pissy point of mine.

Wutai War, what it could have been, and what it wasn't: In FFVII, your lead to believe that there was this HUGE war between Wutai, and Shinra. I mean, why else would Juno be made? For some country that is the entirety of an island that was defeated by a sole 2nd class SOLDIER? Man this story gets weaker the more I think of it. So for the very beginning of the game, you get one mission that takes about 20-30 mins to beat, where you pretty much hack and slash your way to the boss, and beat two giants and somehow win an entire war. A war between, people with spears and leather armor against people with guns, bombs, planes, helicopters, and even magical Materia. I mean if your going to create a realistic war setting, at least make it somewhat plausible. Anyways, this war could have been the entirety of the game, or at least a good half of it. But they decide to end the single plot point they legitimately set up, within the first few minutes of game play. Also kinda just makes me mad, not that it really adds to how Crisis Core is a disaster, but the fact that Sephiroth is considered a hero because of the war in Wutai, but in all reality, it was Zack who "won" the war, and Sephiroth really didn't do ****.

The whole S cell and degeneration thing: For one, why did they even have other Jenova experiments? And why did they feel the need to have them "degenerate"? I guess if you played your cards right, and with the right plot setting, this could possibly be a good idea. But they didn't, and it wasn't. They made all the wrong decisions and made this story into a mediocre anime rip off.

2. Uninteresting Game play Your basic attacks was basically a three hit combo, that never changed. You were limited to only 6 different Materia attacks, which you kept the same till they leveled up, which happened at random. You could literally have the same Materia for half the game, then get lucky in one battle and have them all level up. The game play got repetitive, and there wasn't much strategy/variety when it came to boss battles.

What Crisis Core Did Right:

1.Mission mode Although the game play wasn't the best, the fact you could pick up the game anytime anywhere and play a fun mission was a great plus. You could do anything from playing a simple run through, or a challenging dungeon just by selecting the difficulty of the mission you wanted. You could also replay boss battles later, although this becomes less fun as you level up and completely dominate them.

2. Zack building his relationships: Simply they did a great job building the relationships of Zack with Cloud and Aerith. They didn't rush it, nor did they take forever building it/leaving it vague. They made it clear, and used good pacing to build these. It makes you wonder how they did so poorly with the rest of the game.

3, The final scene: This was probably the best moment of the game was SPOILERS with Zack's Death. They handled it amazingly well, even the final battle with you wearing out, and fighting an winnable battle. It made you feel as if you were Zack, and there was literally nothing you could do. This part of the game was perfection.

-----------------------

tl;dr Crisis Core was a REALLY bad game, story wise and sort of bad game play wise.

I know I'm missing stuff that I hated and liked about the game, that I just can't remember at the given moment. I'll add to this later if need be.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
All i remember from my run through Crisis Core was that the combat was pretty bland, but getting to play as Zack and meeting Aerith/Cloud/everyone else made it kinda worth it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So I've finally finished the Story of 13-2, and here is my thoughts on the story:

Though there are several endings and story unlockables I've yet to do, I liked the main storyline. Sending up a new cocoon seemed dull when you could just colonize the other 85% of pulse, but whatever.

As for the character development, it was at it's best, and unlike FFVII I can't wait for this universe to keep expanding.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I could have a lot to say about Crisis Core to counter your points Sephiroth, and I'll get to them when I'm off work. Just so you know, I felt Crisis Core was amazing and a worthy prequel to Final Fantasy VII. Expect a heckuva rebuttal.

:phone:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
All i remember from my run through Crisis Core was that the combat was pretty bland, but getting to play as Zack and meeting Aerith/Cloud/everyone else made it kinda worth it.

I had Crisis Core a bit ago when I had my PSP and actually really liked it. Hell, a lot of the music was really good too. Price of Freedom ftw.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I remember running into the Turks, and there was that new female Turk that just like...survived everything from FFVII, but was never mentioned how she did or what happened in Crisis Core. Also, I remember there was that guy who was like...Zack's SOLDIER buddy that only made 2nd Class or something that seemed to always be talking to him.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I enjoyed Crisis Core. I liked Zack as a character and seeing him and the other FF VII characters was nice to see. Plus we got to see FFVII Cloud, not his annoying Advent Children personality. But yeah, it definitely had a lot of faults but overall it was a good spinoff. Battles could have been done better and the story had some strange parts to it. I know it retconned quite a bit but that's what prequels story usually do.

By the time I finished the game, I felt really satisfied when I reached the ending. Not only because of how well they pulled off the ending, but also the fact that I played it on Hard mode my first time through. One of the most stressful things I've done in an RPG.

So yeah, I liked it. I enjoyed it more than some of Square's recent efforts in games in a way.

Top Bottom