• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Well, I didn't like XIII so I don't want to see a XIII-3, I don't think that's crazy. :/

Maybe they should work on Versus XIII instead. It's been what, six years since it was announced?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ they changed the name. 13-2 and what not is the whole Versus thing.

Iunno, I love 13's story and concepts, and even the weird but working battle system.

finalark

SNORLAX
I thought 13 was actually pretty damn brilliant myself. My only gripe with the game is that Hope's in it. Haven't played XIII-2 yet. Maybe I'll grab that now that I'm done with ME3.

finalark

SNORLAX
I wish I could still make Final Fantasy Forever XIII jokes but DNF came out.

But seriously, versus XIII probably won't see the light of day until next gen if it doesn't end up getting canceled eventually.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
The battle system in XIII really just didn't do it for me.

I've never been the biggest fan of the ATB battle system, but I've never hated it before. I even liked XII's battle system even though it was nothing more than the same old ATB system with the illusion of freedom of movement.

XIII just felt, I don't know, like it really wanted to be a real time battle system but Square didn't want to change it up that much. It just didn't work for me.

Story wise, Sazh was the only character I liked. Everyone else was either whining too much or I was completely indifferent to them. :/

Though I guess to be fair, I never did finish it. I was able to make it up to right when the game was supposed to open up(chapter 11 or something) when I finally lost all interest in it.

The game was freaking beautiful though.

finalark

SNORLAX
I saw XIII as X with a different story, battle system and better voice acting. Because as far as game play goes the game is basically a prettied up FFX.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I hate everything about X outside of the music and the battle system.

The music in XIII never really stuck out to me either outside of the battle theme.

The linearity of both games really wasn't that much of an issue for me though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I thought 13 was actually pretty damn brilliant myself. My only gripe with the game is that Hope's in it. Haven't played XIII-2 yet. Maybe I'll grab that now that I'm done with ME3.

You say this, but how would you act if you were his age and that happened. Not saying he wasn't annoying, but...coping mechanics are coping mechanics.

are you saying that 13-2 is versus 13???
cuz that is obviously not true lol

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/versus13/
No, I'm saying 13/13-2 leads into it, and it's still a project in progress, though I kinda got the feel all the games made up Fabula... maybe I'm wrong there?

I wish I could still make Final Fantasy Forever XIII jokes but DNF came out.

But seriously, versus XIII probably won't see the light of day until next gen if it doesn't end up getting canceled eventually.
Iunno, it will be next gen, but 13 has a huge life span ahead of it. So much of Pulse is unexplored, it's history is still a mystery (well, some of it), and the cliffhanger that is 13-2 leads to make another great game imo.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I hate everything about X outside of the music and the battle system.

The music in XIII never really stuck out to me either outside of the battle theme.

The linearity of both games really wasn't that much of an issue for me though.

You kidding, bro? FFX was quite possibly the last Final Fantasy numbered game I ever fully enjoyed. XII didn't appeal to me, XI was an MMO, XIV's absolutely terrible, and XIII was a disappointment on so many things because it was one long giant dungeon crawler with ZERO towns. FFX was cool and fun at the time. Though, I remember getting some fangirl pissed off when I tried using logic to explain why I thought Tidus/Rikku made more sense than Tidus/Yuna.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
While I can understand the criticism toward XIII, I enjoyed it (with the exception of the Eidolon battles). I feel like they were trying to achieve a certain aesthetic of storytelling with XIII, and while it wasn't perfect, I was okay with it.

XIII-2 was just a good game, but also a good Final Fantasy game imo.

I didn't like XII.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Seems like FFX is where opinions begin to really differ in terms of what's good and what isn't.

What I liked in X was the sphere grid, the characters, and the story. Music was good as well. The battle system was good until the end, imo. It had strategy and reminded me of various boss fights within the series where the enemy had a certain weakness/gimmick you had to exploit.

I thought XII was ok at first, but I like it way more now. Gambits were cool but easy to expose and take advantage of. The music wasn't memorable besides the Tactics remixes. Story was mediocre and wasn't paced well. But for some odd reason, I found the story more enjoyable than XIII. The environments was absolutely the best part of the game, and I loved exploring. I really wish Matsuno was able to stay as director throughout development. :ohwell:

XIII is my least favorite FF. There really wasn't much that I liked about it aside from graphics. Battles were fun, I suppose. It had strategy yet it lacked it at the same time for me. The story was just bad to me and not interesting. I'll only get XIII-2 when it's cheap.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
No, I'm saying 13/13-2 leads into it, and it's still a project in progress, though I kinda got the feel all the games made up Fabula... maybe I'm wrong there?
13 and 13-2 have nothing to do with vs13 storywise...
and yes all of these games make up the fabula nova crystalis compilation

I thought XII was ok at first, but I like it way more now.
I remember that i started XII and hated it. only got up to the second boss and tossed it aside. then my friend kept bugging me to finish it so i started it over and completed it almost 2 years later... i like XII now and i think it had a lot to offer. just had to get used to it

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I dislike XIII, but I don't despise it.

There was a different game that came out that year that got all of my hate...

XII was a strange game. The story was meh, but I fell in love with Ivalice and it easily became my favorite FF world to explore. I love the concepts and the style, it really could have been amazing imo, too bad the story was lacking. :/

I overall enjoyed XII, even though I still have not beat the final boss. I need to go back and do that one day, but I feel like I got what I wanted out of XII anyways.

X, I probably would have liked much more if Tidus and Yuna did not exist.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
X, XII, and XIII were all games I didn't like that much when I first played them. X and XII grew on me after I got further/reminisce on them.
I remember not liking Tidus too much when I first played it, but now I find him one of the easiest main characters to relate to aside from Squall.

Maybe the same thing will happen for me on XIII. As it stands now though, I'd rather replay the other FFs before XIII.

finalark

SNORLAX
The reason why I think most people didn't like XII initially is because it does things differently that most other FFs. They dropped the melodramatic pseudo-anime dialog for melodramatic pseudo-Shakespeare dialog and the the world was much more open than any of the other FF games. The FFXII strategy guide is just as big as the one for Skyrim, and most of it is filled with optional content and maps of the game's huge world which surprisingly rewarded exploration.

I feel that the main issue with the story was that a lot of it got butchered by executives who thought the western influenced script and characters wouldn't fly with the pretty boy loving Japanese audience. The reason why Vaan and Penelo even exist from what I've read is because Squares executives told the dev. team to make them so eastern audiences would have familiar achetypes and would be more comfortable with the game. Originally Basch was supposed to be the main character, which is why he's a much more fleshed out character than Vaan and why he seems to contribute to the plot more.

I'd also like to state in hindsight that FFXII clearly wasn't made with Japanese audiences in mind. If anything, it was targeted at the same audience that enjoys exploration driven western RPGs like Elder Scrolls or Fallout. This ended up alienating a lot of FF fans on the west side who were used to mostly linear and heavily story driven RPGs. In hindsight, though, I think FFXII is one of the strongest games in the franchise. Sadly it doesn't have the nostalgic fans of FFIV or the legacy of FFVII to back it up.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I feel that the main issue with the story was that a lot of it got butchered by executives who thought the western influenced script and characters wouldn't fly with the pretty boy loving Japanese audience. The reason why Vaan and Penelo even exist from what I've read is because Squares executives told the dev. team to make them so eastern audiences would have familiar achetypes and would be more comfortable with the game. Originally Basch was supposed to be the main character, which is why he's a much more fleshed out character than Vaan and why he seems to contribute to the plot more.

I'd also like to state in hindsight that FFXII clearly wasn't made with Japanese audiences in mind. If anything, it was targeted at the same audience that enjoys exploration driven western RPGs like Elder Scrolls or Fallout. This ended up alienating a lot of FF fans on the west side who were used to mostly linear and heavily story driven RPGs. In hindsight, though, I think FFXII is one of the strongest games in the franchise. Sadly it doesn't have the nostalgic fans of FFIV or the legacy of FFVII to back it up.
I actually heard some of those rumors too about Basch being intended as the main hero. Vaan would be like the knight in training under him or so. I wouldn't be surprised if Matsuno left the director's seat because of Square telling him to do so many things. The "illness" seems to be a common excuse in situations like these in Japan.

I should replay XII again. I never explored all the areas and the monster hunts felt more fun in this game for some reason.

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually heard some of those rumors too about Basch being intended as the main hero. Vaan would be like the knight in training under him or so. I wouldn't be surprised if Matsuno left the director's seat because of Square telling him to do so many things. The "illness" seems to be a common excuse in situations like these in Japan.
I'd imagine that would be the case. From all of the rumors and stories I've read it sounds like FFXII would have been a pretty different game if Square's executives didn't meddle with it so much.

I'd love to play the director's original concept for XII. Just so long as the license board wasn't his idea.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
For me:

Top Tier: FFIX, FF Tactics, FFVII, FFVI
High: FFX, FFXIII

Personally, I hated 8. People think I'm crazy and I get it a lot, but I feel like 8 was sooooooo slow. I'm a hardcore avid FF fan and I tried to force myself to play that game at least 10 times. And each time I've felt like I just wasted my time.

I hated 12 as well. The story was boring. The characters were boring IMO outside from Balthier and the bunny chick. The battle system was OK. But nothing about 12 enamored me. Ensnared me. Can't be a good FF game without doing that.

I didn't take FFX-2 seriously, but I think it had one of the best battle systems. It essentially was the core of the Paradigm System (which I also like). But other than that I don't ever really count it.

Lastly, I'm playing FFXIII-2 right now and I love it. I've been WTF'ing alot because I feel like they took what FFXIII lacked and was like, "Too linear!? HERE. HAVE MULTIPLE TIME GAPS WITH THE ABILITY TO RESET AND RE-EXPLORE. NOW WHAT!?" but all in all it has that FF element of keeping me ensnared, above average battle system, and me wanting to move forward which is rare in RPG's now 'n days.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
hmmm, i was planning on avoiding XIII-2 at all costs, but i now realize its probably worth looking into

I've also had this thing where I originally hate/strongly dislike certain ff games until my second playthrough. i remember i really didnt like ffiv all that much my first time, but when i got to play the psp version about a year ago it shot up to probably my favorite FF

hard to tell cuz i love vi so much

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
hmmm, i was planning on avoiding XIII-2 at all costs, but i now realize its probably worth looking into

I've also had this thing where I originally hate/strongly dislike certain ff games until my second playthrough. i remember i really didnt like ffiv all that much my first time, but when i got to play the psp version about a year ago it shot up to probably my favorite FF

hard to tell cuz i love vi so much

Well, loving VI is just natural. It's probably the one Final Fantasy game that's in everybody's top 3. Like how my top 3 is VI>VIII>X.

John2k4

The End of an Era
This isn't the place to ask that; try one of the BrawlBox threads in the Brawl Workshop area. ;)

finalark

SNORLAX
For all three of you who care, FFXIV has a new program called the Legacy Campaign. Basically, if you've subscribed for 90 days or over since Jan 2012 you get an exclusive in-game Chocobo mount and when 2.0 comes the subscription fee is 10 dollars instead of 15.

It also looks like Sqaure's dropping the "one character per account unless you pay" nonsense.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It's odd but I liked using the num pad...

Anyways, got ff5 for free a while back on psn...considering playing it :3

Top Bottom