• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Discussion

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Pound V payouts = $0
Robocop payouts = $2500

discuss :estatic:

wonder if smashers are actually gonna sue LMAO

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
just add m2k on facebook.

he's got never ending stories about never getting paid for tourneys

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I hate to admit this, but all the drama llama is what keeps me coming back to Smashboards. SO ENTERTAINING.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
here's the thing though
plank can take out a loan at a bank (unless the bank says no, in which case, get a job)
then he can repay everyone
then the debt is his problem, as it should be

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
If they only cared about the money they wouldn't have showed up. I think out of all the tournies I've won none have had prize money xD even tho I've probably put more effort into those then srs money tournies.

ITS ABOUT THE PASSION!! FLY HIGHER!! PIERCE THE HEAVENS!! ASCEND TO THE NEXT LEVEL!! PUDDI PUDDI!!!

Dekar289

Smash Hero
just because they didn't only care about the money doesn't mean money wasn't a factor at all
that's all beside the point anyway

Hotdog

Smash Lord
I mostly play to get a pimp rep.

But still, 1g is a lot of money to pass by @_@

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
this reminds me of when I lent my blacker then the blackest black times infinity friend josh my car, and he lost it in a game of dice in the ally

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I hate to admit this, but all the drama llama is what keeps me coming back to Smashboards. SO ENTERTAINING.
But isn't it just?

I hope that 'Smashed' documentary comes out (I doubt Smashed Together ever will but who knows).

To see that kind of drama up close is (a reason) why I wanted to visit America at least once. lol.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
even though zac tried to take the piss, i think his point is still valid.

95% of people who went to pound knew that they stood no chance of making any money. but they still went anyway. for the most part, the money makes something good even better.

i mean, id be pissed if i thought i was gonna get 1k, then was told that i wouldnt. but pissed enough to threaten legal action, or worse, force someone to fork out a bank loan that would cost them years of the life to pay off?

i think not.

plank has now been shut out of the community, and will never run tournaments again. i think this is quite a severe punishment already. if i was told that i wouldnt be able to go to smash meets, or even post on smashboards anymore, i personally would be rather shattered. and i assume most people who are regularly seen in their smash communities would feel the same.

if people wanna vent, go ahead. but leave the kid alone.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
even though zac tried to take the piss, i think his point is still valid.

95% of people who went to pound knew that they stood no chance of making any money. but they still went anyway. for the most part, the money makes something good even better.

i mean, id be pissed if i thought i was gonna get 1k, then was told that i wouldnt. but pissed enough to threaten legal action, or worse, force someone to fork out a bank loan that would cost them years of the life to pay off?

i think not.

plank has now been shut out of the community, and will never run tournaments again. i think this is quite a severe punishment already. if i was told that i wouldnt be able to go to smash meets, or even post on smashboards anymore, i personally would be rather shattered. and i assume most people who are regularly seen in their smash communities would feel the same.

if people wanna vent, go ahead. but leave the kid alone.
What of the other 5% who were promised a percentage of money for prizes? These are the 5% that provide the tournament with its high-level pedigree. Like any professional sport, if you don't treat your most important players well, you will see dropouts. In a competitive circuit where we as a community are striving to be taken more seriously, we can't afford to succumb to mismanagement and incompetence. We need realists.

People are not guaranteed to have placed in the money, but if they did, they were expecting to receive it and not have it rescinded. Legal action isn't likely to deliver any positive outcomes for the unity of our community, but it'll serve as a bold statement by Smashers that it will no longer tolerate future broken promises that has tainted the American tournament circuit. M2K allegedly has over $5500 in outstanding payments spread over five tournaments that have come up short.

It's easy to pity the fool who ran Pound V for good intentions, but when you're running away from the problem (repaying $3-4K is not a death sentence and can be achieved by exploring a variety of creative means), and by choosing to surrender instead of finding solutions, then there's little reason to excuse him from criticism, quite frankly.

I'll reserve my position when he's made an honest attempt to pay his dues.

He made a big and popular call back in 2008 to OC3 staff, when they took back the money they owed players (I didn't even know about this at the time), so he's just getting back what he gave. I have deep connections and massive respect for the OC crew, so the irony is amazing.

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
what legal grounds would you have against him though? from what i know there aren't any contracts in smash anymore. legally he hasn't done anything wrong by breaking his promise of giving money, has he?

i'm not saying that i agree with what he did. just i can't see how suing him would get anybody anything.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
verbal agreements are acceptable as forms of evidence in some US states. plantiff will need an adequate number of witnesses in small claims, that's all.

it'd: a) get plank to committ to paying people back in the long term -- provided he said he wouldn't bother (which has been his position, at least from yesterday's poster), b) get more TO's to formalise agreements for payouts.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I agree that he shouldn't be running from the problem; it's only making things worse. At the same time, I can't guarantee that I wouldn't do the same thing in that situation.

And if I had a 4 grand debt, it would quite literally take me years to pay off. Some of us don't have the luxury of full time work :D

And yeah, mistreat your top players, and they won't go to your tournaments. Hell, no one will. You simply won't be able to run tournaments. Which is exactly what has happened.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
And if I had a 4 grand debt, it would quite literally take me years to pay off. Some of us don't have the luxury of full time work :D
Smash Bank. Done! (Too bad Americans have seemingly little concept of saving, or decreasing personal risk)

If Attila did a Plank though, I'd forgive him. <3

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i can't imagine attila ever failing so hard... or failing at all

shaya on the other hand... doesn't he still owe the walls of elysium prize money for thriller? lol
i hope that's as bad as it gets in aus

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Don't Come 1 was basically theft. lol

"let's charge every smasher $40 because the room hire is free + we need to save up for SF4 cabinets since that's how the game will be played competitively in the future kthxbye"

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I paid for those out of my own pocket. Shaya broke one. His guilt brought glee to my face. <3

My immediate reaction was similar to M2K's when Luke spilt tea over M2K's glasses post-Robocop, lmao

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
what? when? who?

I dont remember doing that, but if I did...

get ****ing ***** son

also my favorite part about this whole plank thing, is that there are 2 sides, and the arguement is spread out all over the boards and is roughly 200 pages of...
"heres arguement A, I dont understand why you cant agree with this"
"heres arguement B, I dont understand why you cant agree with this"
"well, heres arguement A again, I dont understand why you cant agree with this"
"well, heres arguement B again, I dont understand why you cant agree with this"
"well, heres arguement A again, I dont understand why you cant agree with this"
"well, heres arguement B again, I dont understand why you cant agree with this"

and so on.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Just wait till I convince the AUS scene to do a high rollers tourney, and everyone pulls out home loans to pay the 100k entry fee. Then I run off to Hawaii with the money and I'm never seen again.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
was that at that chinese restaurant?
if so, that was my very first beer and I hadnt even drunk like any of it.
trust the sober guy to be the only one that spills ****

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I can understand and even make strong arguements for both sides, and neither is willing to back down, nor can they prove the other is 100% wrong.

in the end though, it all comes down to moral responsability

Top Bottom