• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War 3

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Been playing the new maps for two days. I thought it was just a location name seeing as it hasn't shown up on any of the game modes I've played.

Gonna be playing most of today, in all likelihood. Add GS Ryker and we'll play.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
7.5 isn't that bad. I haven't played it yet myself though. But who really takes IGN seriously these days? I go on there just for the news. Also the Twelve Days of Gearsmas sounds cool (actually I mostly care about the day that gives you 4 times xp).

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I haven't taken them seriously since they said GTA4 was "the best game since OoT".

Anyway I completed it. RAAM's execution on downed enemies is by far the greatest execution in the game. It really should've been in multiplayer.

Also the rest of the story was pretty predictable, and I like how RAAM basically had psychic powers in the final cutscene.

:phone:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I didn't get the Season thingy so I haven't played RAAM'S Shadow yet.
If I ever have some extra money I may buy some points to get it... or hopefully like the last DLC, it's free again.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
That seriously was a complaint? RAAM was too strong? You're kidding me? These are the people who gave SMG2, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Colors terrible scores solely based on the fact that the games were too hard when in reality they were damn easy

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
They said it as a negative thing?! That's the whole fun of using RAAM, he kicks ***.
I guess they expected when you play as RAAM in the DLC, that you die in a few bullets.

That seriously was a complaint? RAAM was too strong? You're kidding me? These are the people who gave SMG2, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Colors terrible scores solely based on the fact that the games were too hard when in reality they were damn easy

I lost faith in IGN when they said that Halo 3: ODST had the best Halo storyline. :troll:

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Just had a group of friends watch me go 65-21 on thrashball and get a message from an opposing player about how good I am. Feels good.

On a similar note, two of those friends were amazed at how respectful the Gears community is compared to CoD and Halo. Feels good.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Just had a group of friends watch me go 65-21 on thrashball and get a message from an opposing player about how good I am. Feels good.

On a similar note, two of those friends were amazed at how respectful the Gears community is compared to CoD and Halo. Feels good.
Ehhhh, idk Gears has their bad eggs too. Like the kids using the modded controller Hammerburst, and the hatemail lol.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Gears of War is one of the only games that is competitively viable, actually has a skill curve, and has a decent community.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Ehhhh, idk Gears has their bad eggs too. Like the kids using the modded controller Hammerburst, and the hatemail lol.
I know that, but they were impresed that somebody would even take the time to write a message like that, apparently, that's something NEVER seen in CoD or Halo (I've never cared much for those two so I don't know about their communities or anything.)

I think Wretched hit the nail on the head. No community can be perfect, but Gears seems to be one of the few where people actually act like human beings instead of deciding to hate each other for no particular reason all the time. The couple times I pleyed Halo/CoD it's been full of little kids and grown men yelling at each other for existing. I can actually get on the mic in Gears and strategize with the average random.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
If I do well in a game of cod, people message me saying "You're not good," "You're a hacker," or "Get a Life."

On multiple occasions, when I do well on Gears, I am invited to play with people and/or am complimented on my understanding of the game.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
The funny part is is that I get hate mail on Gears all the time while I never get hate mail when I play CoD

It's probably because I play like such a **** in Gears 3

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
It's because Gears takes skill to master, it's harder to sneak up on people and the spawns are great, whereas CoD is just connection advantage and a lot of luck.

Looks like they've adjusted some weapons since I've been away from this game. The fire grenades now have a HUGE one shot kill range, the Hammerburst is much stronger, and by the looks of it the SO has a shorter gib range than the Gnasher.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It's because Gears takes skill to master, it's harder to sneak up on people and the spawns are great, whereas CoD is just connection advantage and a lot of luck.

Looks like they've adjusted some weapons since I've been away from this game. The fire grenades now have a HUGE one shot kill range, the Hammerburst is much stronger, and by the looks of it the SO has a shorter gib range than the Gnasher.

I lost when I read this. You don't know what you're talking about.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
TBH it is hard to make great spawns without making large maps or making people spawn behind others, so I think they did a decent job with the spawns in this game.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
TBH it is hard to make great spawns without making large maps or making people spawn behind others, so I think they did a decent job with the spawns in this game.
There wouldn't be a need for spawn protection if the game had good spawns.

Or should I say, it has great spawns unless you try to spawn camp people.
Read my response below.

Again, what F8AL said. Gears 3 has bad spawns overall when the people start spawning in your spawn when you're there defending yourself

Isn't that right F8AL?

...yes. *Thinks about that game on Old Town* :urg:

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Because standing still and trying to defend yourself when you're immortal and can just charge them means the game has bad spawns.

What?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Because standing still and trying to defend yourself when you're immortal and can just charge them means the game has bad spawns.

What?
We spawned, they were spawn trapping us, we killed some of them, they spawned in back of us and killed us.

Bad spawns.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You could just charge them, take no damage whatsoever, and then kill them. Spawn protection lasts until there's at least more than 1 way out of spawn, and you spawn with smoke grenades that stop people from shooting.

Not managing to kill people whilst you're immortal and sitting in 1 place for 14 seconds (though I'm sure that timer is slower than real seconds) does not mean it has bad spawns. If you want to see bad spawns then go on MW3 and watch that clip in my online vault where I kill 5 people who spawn infront of me within Stiker distance.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You could just charge them, take no damage whatsoever, and then kill them. Spawn protection lasts until there's at least more than 1 way out of spawn, and you spawn with smoke grenades that stop people from shooting.

Not managing to kill people whilst you're immortal and sitting in 1 place for 14 seconds (though I'm sure that timer is slower than real seconds) does not mean it has bad spawns. If you want to see bad spawns then go on MW3 and watch that clip in my online vault where I kill 5 people who spawn infront of me within Stiker distance.
So basically it's our fault because me and F8AL were the only ones left on Old Town against 5 other people and since they spawn cornered us we were taking refuge there and we managed to kill some people then they spawned behind us and killed us without us actually noticing until it was too late? What the hell kind of spawn system is that? It's only a small step above MW3's spawn system where you spawn right on top of people

Yeah, ok sure you seriously have no idea what you're talking about

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
KoTH yeah. But on TDM you must be nuts.

Failing to kill people, when there's 2 of you, when you're immortal and failing to notice the loud ENEMY FORCES screech the queen does, and whatever Prescott says, which means "The spawns have flipped" means that the game has bad spawns..?

You can't be serious.

Edit:

And it's not your fault that your teammates quit, but it is your fault that you took refuge in the one of two areas where the enemies can be immortal.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
What are you talking about? You make it sound as if the spawn shield lasts for 20 minutes when obviously it only lasts for about 5 seconds. Also, it was TDM and not KotH and we joined in progress, so we were the only ones left. And apparently it's our fault that we spawned in Old Town near the sea and we were spawn trapped in every entrance so we couldn't leave. Also, there was a lot of gunfire being shot and we were the Locusts, not the humans, so we couldn't have heard the noise you make when you run to begin with

At the very least get the game mode we were playing right

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
The spawn on that area lasts until you reach the tunnel. You sit in the tunnel and you can't be shot, or you could take the other exit and run to scorcher. Even if there was someone sitting there they wouldn't be able to hurt you until you get close thanks to the spawn protection.

Once you're in the tunnel you'd hear the spawn switching signal, but fortunately they wouldn't be immortal when they turn the corner to you.

Not only did the game make you immortal until you have more than 1 exit from spawn, it warned you that the enemy team spawned near you. Failing, when the game handed you both of these advantages, and worst of all blaming the game for your failure, is one step away from complaining that the game never killed your opponents for you.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The spawn on that area lasts until you reach the tunnel. You sit in the tunnel and you can't be shot, or you could take the other exit and run to scorcher. Even if there was someone sitting there they wouldn't be able to hurt you until you get close thanks to the spawn protection.

Once you're in the tunnel you'd hear the spawn switching signal, but fortunately they wouldn't be immortal when they turn the corner to you.

Not only did the game make you immortal until you have more than 1 exit from spawn, it warned you that the enemy team spawned near you. Failing, when the game handed you both of these advantages, and worst of all blaming the game for your failure, is one step away from complaining that the game never killed your opponents for you.
Are we both playing the same game?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok what the hell are you even talking about at this point? You have a 5-10 second spawn shield. There's no invincible for ever **** until you reach a certain point, you literally have 5-10 seconds depending on how many people are alive/where you are/etc. The spawn shield isn't something you can glitch and abuse, it's just a set timer that goes down and by the time it goes down and you're STILL in your spawn then you're not gonna be protected anymore because you should've moved when you had the chance

Except we didn't have the chance because when we spawned there were people coming down to the seaside spawn and we were actually getting a lot of kills on them that got ruined because the game thought it was an amazing idea to spawn the enemy directly behind us

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Fuel, turn on gears, spawn and start running like everyone does.

Notice how after the timer runs out you have more than 1 way out of spawn? Notice how on every map when the timer runs out you have at least 2 options to escape?

If people are in front of you at spawn you whip out your shotgun, get guarenteed kills due to being immortal, then get out of there and don't hang around long enough for the 14 second timer to count itself down again.

The whole "We never had a chance because we somehow failed to kill people directly in front of us despte being immortal, and we hung around long enough for the spawns to flip, and ignored the queen even though she told us the spawns flipped, therefore the game is wrong and not us" excuse is laughable.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Fuel, turn on gears, spawn and start running like everyone does.

Notice how after the timer runs out you have more than 1 way out of spawn? Notice how on every map when the timer runs out you have at least 2 options to escape?

If people are in front of you at spawn you whip out your shotgun, get guarenteed kills due to being immortal, then get out of there and don't hang around long enough for the 14 second timer to count itself down again.

The whole "We never had a chance because we somehow failed to kill people directly in front of us despte being immortal, and we hung around long enough for the spawns to flip, and ignored the queen even though she told us the spawns flipped, therefore the game is wrong and not us" excuse is laughable.
Too bad they were too far for us to kill them with our shotguns. Our only option was to hang back and try and break through.

I have yet to see this "14 second timer".

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You don't hang back you charge them. You're immortal.

And I don't know how you're yet to see this 14 second timer seeing as though it's been in Gears since the first one.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
You don't hang back you charge them. You're immortal.

And I don't know how you're yet to see this 14 second timer seeing as though it's been in Gears since the first one.
Again, they were too far away for us to effectively rush them within the 5 second spawn protection thing. They basically had us cornered in our spawn. When we managed to kill a few of 'em, they should have spawned at the other side. NOT OUR SPAWN.

I'm sure Fuelbi has not seen this "14 second timer" as well.

Top Bottom