• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War 3

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Dunno.

On a different note I've noticed that people seem to be more arsey on this game that most others. 2 matches I joined in near the end, ended up being the last man standinh only to be take out by a cordinated attack, and then they sat and ***** me.

I could understand if I was being an arse to them or maybe if I did great, but I did distinctly average. It didn't anger me though, it just bored me.

:phone:
People more assy in this game more than others? Idk man, literally every single time I've seen my friends play Halo with a mic on, the very first thing I hear from other people is "STFU" and other profanities. In Gears it's a rather rare occurrence, but in, say, Halo or CoD it's like every match from what I've experienced. Then again, you do play TDM, so you'll naturally have more of the immature players.

On another note, yesterday me and an opponent downed each other. While I was down a teammate passed me up, stole my kill, and then stopped and watched me revive myself. Pissed me off pretty bad.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I remember once I was in Hotel and I was pretty much ****** the other team, but then they managed to down me once, and I had two or three of my teammates just teabagging my downed body and didn't even revive me until they all died from stupidity. Then I got up and killed those people and stuck out a huge middle finger at the people who teabagged me.

Someone also took my Silverback in Horde once when I got downed and just left me there to die

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Though I have left someone to die after they nicked my kill I got full damage on. He stole it, I told him if he goes down I'm not reviving him in the future, we ended up the last two left versus 2 others and he went down, to which I reminded him that I'm not reviving him and he got killed. If it was the final round I would've but it was the first round so lol.

I guess I shouldn't counter **** moves with **** moves but at least it wasn't random or undeserved.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
This morning I was causing another team so much trouble that they made an effort to keep me DBNO for as long as possible whenever I went down so that I couldn't respawn.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I remember once I was in Hotel and I was pretty much ****** the other team, but then they managed to down me once, and I had two or three of my teammates just teabagging my downed body and didn't even revive me until they all died from stupidity. Then I got up and killed those people and stuck out a huge middle finger at the people who teabagged me.

Someone also took my Silverback in Horde once when I got downed and just left me there to die
That's exactly what happened to me when I got downed when I had the silverback, some **** just rushes my silverback and leaves me to die.

Edit: Even at level 90 I'm still terrible at this game. Does anyone have any advice for me? I tried looking up youtube but its mostly stupid ign videos and I don't really take them seriously.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
50% off of GoW3 add-ons for today only. Now is your time to get season pass if you haven't already, I think it's at 1800 ms points? Complete weaponskin pack is at 1800 also

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
50% off of GoW3 add-ons for today only. Now is your time to get season pass if you haven't already, I think it's at 1800 ms points? Complete weaponskin pack is at 1800 also
Good deal on season pass. But the complete weapon skin pack is still too expensive.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Gears 2 was nowhere near as campy, the AR's weren't as powerful so you couldn't sit back and be as effective as you could in this one. Blood Drive was a favourite because of how close range it was.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Gears 2 was nowhere near as campy, the AR's weren't as powerful so you couldn't sit back and be as effective as you could in this one. Blood Drive was a favourite because of how close range it was.

Oh, I see. Still though, Epic should put more consideration into which maps are brought back into Gears 3 since AR's are more powerful now. Otherwise other fan favorite maps from older gears games will turn into camp fests like blood drive has.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Just had the worst game ever on thrashball against a hammerburst crew. By the beginning of the second match, my entire team had essentially given up (and rightfully so) because the constant stream of active hammerbursts from every direction was literally just too much to take. I can't complain, we got beat and they had better teamwork, but it really makes me wish that Epic was more liberal with the sniper rifles. I've always said that coordinated camping is always the best strategy, and that the only way to beat it is either to do it better or snipe.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Just had the worst game ever on thrashball against a hammerburst crew. By the beginning of the second match, my entire team had essentially given up (and rightfully so) because the constant stream of active hammerbursts from every direction was literally just too much to take. I can't complain, we got beat and they had better teamwork, but it really makes me wish that Epic was more liberal with the sniper rifles. I've always said that coordinated camping is always the best strategy, and that the only way to beat it is either to do it better or snipe.
I'd rather snipe than camp the whole game. There's no fun in camping.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Thrashball:

Rush the concession stand. Lose the fight, lose the round.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Actually frags can help you take there. You need at least 2 of you but it's not as impossible as Overpass to take that area.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Thrashball:

Rush the concession stand. Lose the fight, lose the round.
I know that's how Thrashball works, that's why I'm not complaining about the loss. On the second round we even took the concession stands from them but we didn't stay because camping is boring. On another stage we probably would've rocked them.

@Pluvia, we had frags several times, but we could never make it to the spot without dieing. Their fire rate and accuracy was too spot on. I won't accuse them of modding, but pretty much every step out of cover was 7 bullets in the back.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Nah ever since they unneccesarily powered up the Hammy it would be pretty easy for them to get accurate shots on you.

I don't know why Epic refuses to depower the rifles.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Hi. Hb is pretty OP ;_;

Who knows how reliable this is, but "someone who has leaked things before" leaked the character info for skorge and cyclops??

Skorge:Skorge's chants are powerful enough to tame even the most fearsome beasts that lurk in the Hollow. He is the highest ranking of all the Kantus, and a personal envoy of the Queen.

Cyclops:Sometimes the best tactic is to use an enemy's own weapons to defeat them. The Cyclops is well versed in the ways of the Lancer, and is always anxious to display his skill with its chainsaw.

I'm just crossing my fingers that I get cyclops back ;____;

Also, i'm not sure if anyone is up to date with competitive gears but the gametypes as of now are execution and koth. King maps are Drydock, Trenches and Rustlung (possibly hotel). Execution maps are Checkout, Clock Tower, Drydock, Hotel, Mercy, Old Town, Thrashball, Trenches <3

super duper edit: They replaced brothers to the end today with "we're all stranded now" which is a party-free TDM with only lancer, HB and gnasher load outs

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Trenches, Drydock, and rustlung are absolutely terrible koth stages. Did they intentionally choose all the worst stages? Might as well throw in Mercy.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Trenches, Drydock, and rustlung are absolutely terrible koth stages. Did they intentionally choose all the worst stages? Might as well throw in Mercy.

Idk man... the hills on both drydock and trenches are placed perfectly, and player spawns aren't too bad as well (which are the main complaints when it comes to koth) KoTH maps have been a pretty hot topic in the competitive scene, the only ones that they seem viable are the 4 i listed. Some think tball is okay if they were to get rid of the hills up top. Also KOTH is to 240, 1 round.

What makes drydock/trenches bad and what maps would you rather have?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Idk man... the hills on both drydock and trenches are placed perfectly, and player spawns aren't too bad as well (which are the main complaints when it comes to koth) KoTH maps have been a pretty hot topic in the competitive scene, the only ones that they seem viable are the 4 i listed. Some think tball is okay if they were to get rid of the hills up top. Also KOTH is to 240, 1 round.

What makes drydock/trenches bad and what maps would you rather have?
My main gripes in KotH are hill placement and effectiveness of power weapons.

Drydock is one of my least favorite maps because of hill placement. The four corners are incredibly difficult to take from a semi-organized team because there are so few ways to get to them. Not only that, but size of the map and the distance that hills can travel from each other makes it capping a hill largely dependent are which team is closer to it when it changes. Once it changes, holding it is a piece of cake because you always have view of every approach avenue, especially from the four corners with those huge areas without cover.

Trenches WOULD be good if they changed the nades to frags always. As it is now, all of the power weapons are inferior to the regular guns, except the mortar. Trenches is essentially brute force map at every spot, except for, of course, the horrible mulch/one shot spot.

Rustlung is bad because of the Silverback.

Personally, I think Hotel is the best KotH map, and on a competitive list I'd like to see:

Hotel, Old Town, Clock Tower, Checkout, Gridlock.

As for spawns, I actually have no problem with them anymore. After playing the stages over and over again, I have them mostly memorized. I'd love to see what the competitive community's opinion on this is. I don't play competitively, but I damn sure know more than the average player does about how KotH works. Got a link to a source of info or something?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Speaking of maps, all of the Gears 1 maps they have brought back are great in this game.

It's funny as Blood Drive is, while not completely terrible, pretty crappy, whereas the Gears 1 maps have stood the test of time. Hopefully River, Jacinto and Escalation transistion well into this one.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
@mura I forgot to mention for KOTH trenches they have a small weapon swap. Digger replaces flamethrower, and nades replace digger.

I'm still new to koth, but have been playing it a lot lately for scrims etc and i'm a big fan of drydock. I understand some of the corner hills are really hard to get back (hill by blue crate , near office for example) but I still enjoy it alot.

Definitely agree with you on the silverback, it's pretty annoying. Rustlung got placed in the settings because there was a community vote for a 3rd KOTH map, between rustlung, hotel and clocktower. They tried out rust at some local tournament and it got lots of hype from the constant action (which is what the community is striving for) so we'll see how it goes @_@

If anyone is interested... the next big tournament will be january 20th. It 's called hypefestation 2.

super duper edit: i'm not sure about the reasoning behind those maps not being available for koth, but my guess on checkout is that it's an extremely good/popular exe map, who knows though. What I do know is that I ef'n hate gridlock for every gametype. D:<

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The weapon swap on trenches sounds good, I think I'd approve of that. I'd like to see a sniper somewhere for the top spot though.

I really, really don't like Drydock....at all, please tell me is has weapon swaps too?

I too am a fan of Rustlung's constant action, but I think that is better done at Checkout or Old Town, ya know, some place without a big stupid mech that ****s everything up.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
no changes on drydock, what would you want changed? When i first started 3 i wanted to get rid of mortar/oneshot for a sniper and have torque always at the other end, but idk how I feel about that now.

Oh and about that swap on trenches, petenub and quinn delhoyo were both watching some scrims on nickmerc's stream and thought hte swap was pretty interesting. I imagine they're thinking about making that swap official.

But if you are interested in competitive gears, you can go to twitch.tv/nickmercs, other pros/semi-pros stream but he's my personal favorite. /advertising >_>

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
no changes on drydock, what would you want changed? When i first started 3 i wanted to get rid of mortar/oneshot for a sniper and have torque always at the other end, but idk how I feel about that now.

Oh and about that swap on trenches, petenub and quinn delhoyo were both watching some scrims on nickmerc's stream and thought hte swap was pretty interesting. I imagine they're thinking about making that swap official.

But if you are interested in competitive gears, you can go to twitch.tv/nickmercs, other pros/semi-pros stream but he's my personal favorite. /advertising >_>
I like the mortar, and i feel it should stay as mortar for both rounds. I think the Snipe/Torque should become Boom/Digger.

I personally like watching Falloutt's stream but Nick Mercs is probably the most popular Gears 3 stream on Twitch. He's like the Ninja of Gears.

I think that the gametypes play out pretty well with the custom settings after watching so many streams lately, but that's just my opinion.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I know that's how Thrashball works, that's why I'm not complaining about the loss. On the second round we even took the concession stands from them but we didn't stay because camping is boring. On another stage we probably would've rocked them.
Yeah, I wasn't insinuating you didn't. I was emphasizing how the map places the importance on the first fight to a ridiculous degree.

My main gripes in KotH are hill placement and effectiveness of power weapons.

Drydock is one of my least favorite maps because of hill placement. The four corners are incredibly difficult to take from a semi-organized team because there are so few ways to get to them. Not only that, but size of the map and the distance that hills can travel from each other makes it capping a hill largely dependent are which team is closer to it when it changes. Once it changes, holding it is a piece of cake because you always have view of every approach avenue, especially from the four corners with those huge areas without cover.

Trenches WOULD be good if they changed the nades to frags always. As it is now, all of the power weapons are inferior to the regular guns, except the mortar. Trenches is essentially brute force map at every spot, except for, of course, the horrible mulch/one shot spot.

Rustlung is bad because of the Silverback.

Personally, I think Hotel is the best KotH map, and on a competitive list I'd like to see:

Hotel, Old Town, Clock Tower, Checkout, Gridlock.

As for spawns, I actually have no problem with them anymore. After playing the stages over and over again, I have them mostly memorized. I'd love to see what the competitive community's opinion on this is. I don't play competitively, but I damn sure know more than the average player does about how KotH works. Got a link to a source of info or something?
This post is truth.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Welllll, those swaps for trenches have become official thanks to quinn + petenub :D Scorcher is now digger, and the old digger spawn is now nades <3

ThreeX

Smash Lord
I personally like watching Falloutt's stream but Nick Mercs is probably the most popular Gears 3 stream on Twitch. He's like the Ninja of Gears.

I think that the gametypes play out pretty well with the custom settings after watching so many streams lately, but that's just my opinion.

yeah same here, fallout is an awesome guy :3 His channel got disabled because of some copyright bs, but I think he's working on getting it reactivated soon.

MBN (fallout+nickmerc's team) also got sponsored by EoN, so expect lots of big things from them. Check out fallout's youtube for daily content, i'm sure he'll deliver <3

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Oh so it turns out the weapon swap in Trenches is an online thing. I assumed it was a competetive thing, though watching competetive Gears must be like watching a 2 legged donkey try to twist a doorknob, but at least it's official so that's good.

Anyway they need to get their team balance on this game right, 2 people joined and went on the opposing team, making it 5v2, and everyone just camped back and AR'd. If there was no bots we could've stood a chance but they might as well cut out the middle man and give us less lives to start with rather than bots.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Wouldn't have minded so much if they didn't play like they were scared of us. You know you're bad when 5 of you are scared of 2 players.

Top Bottom