• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War 3

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Everyone can aim.

The distance is farther than SO.

More ammo than the SO and you shoot them when you see them.

Characters can't move faster than you can turn.

SO can't do anything in cover.

Smokes will help you beat the SO user yeah I'll give you that one.

Lag is mostly nullified by the servers. My nets dropped to a 0.4mpb download speed due to a fault so Gears is the only game I can play.

Seriously you're clutching at straws. You know it's bad when the facts are against you and you have to ignore them.
We've been through this before, if "everyone" could aim there'd be no reason why many players center their playstyle around making people miss. I do it all the time, It's not hard at all.

The Gnasher has further distance than the SO, but outside of close range the damage is debilitated to a point where you literally can't down someone charging from long, short, to close range in 2 shots. And, since you want to talk about facts, I've got the facts to prove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPEh2_SHoA&feature=player_detailpage#t=131s

Look at the stats. The Gnasher's base damage is 500, not enough to down a player in one shot. So now, look at the damage multiplier in various ranges. Take Melee range out of consideration because that's the range that the SO is gibbing you from, thus your argument is that you can down a player in 2 shots anywhere from long to short range, however, with the damage multiplier this is literally only possible if you can get two shots off at short range. But because a SO player is rushing you, you won't get off the second short range shot before he gets within your Melee range and bodies you.

Couple that with the fact that people will miss shots, and in that situation if you miss just once you're dead. Because the SO's gib range is longer than the Gnasher, that means you gotta down them before they get close, but with the Gnasher's debilitated range there's little chance you'll do that in just 2 shots.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
He's not clueless, he just can't stand to be proven wrong. Even when he is, he won't admit it. He got killed by a Sawed-off from stupid range and blamed it on him being "careless".
And how much times did I get killed by the SO? I most likely rolled at cover incorrectly or did something careless that time. People get killed by the SO and believe they're better than they actually are so they blame it on the gun. Count how much times you'll see someone with a SO walk up behind someone and gib them, only for the person to rage about how broken the gun is rather than the fact that the guy, you know, walked up behind them.

For Mura's argument the Gnasher can 2 shot down someone outside of SO gib range, but I'll let him rant and argue with the other guy and call him a scrub (something he doesn't call me you'll notice) because it's really tedious.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well I guess that explains many of the times I was even backing up from anyone with a SO and still getting killed.
Favorited video for future reference.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The Gnasher can insta gib someone inside the SO's range assuming you can aim. The SO is a scrub crutch. You're just as likely to get punked by someone with a Gnasher doing the same thing so long as they can aim.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Pluvia is wrong, everyone else is right. Regardless...
My problem is that it takes the small amount of fun that was in this game.

Mura da bess

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
For Mura's argument the Gnasher can 2 shot down someone outside of SO gib range, but I'll let him rant and argue with the other guy and call him a scrub (something he doesn't call me you'll notice) because it's really tedious.
So, I post actual facts and you stop arguing? Shows what you know. And no, I don't call you a scrub, because despite not liking you and having differing views on the game, I'm still convinced that you understand the game, but that doesn't stop you from being wrong about things.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Ever notice how people complain about the SO's gib range in relation to the Gnasher, but never bring up the Gnasher's range in relation to the SO? My theory is people must try to gib SO users rather than killing them well before they're within range, which leads to a lot of deaths, which leads to a lot of whining about the SO because people can't wield the Gnasher correctly. Next time you see a SO user rushing you, shoot him and walk slowly backwards, you'll destroy them 90% of the time.

And no I stopped because the first time we argued, way back during the beta, I argued with you, stomped you then stopped. You goaded me back in so I proceeded you waltz all over you again until a mod put a stop to it. If I don't stop the exact same thing will happen all over again, so if you want you can argue with the other guy that's fine with me, just don't try dragging me into it when you know how it'll end.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Ever notice how people complain about the SO's gib range in relation to the Gnasher, but never bring up the Gnasher's range in relation to the SO? My theory is people must try to gib SO users rather than killing them well before they're within range, which leads to a lot of deaths, which leads to a lot of whining about the SO because people can't wield the Gnasher correctly. Next time you see a SO user rushing you, shoot him and walk slowly backwards, you'll destroy them 90% of the time.
Well, if it's that simple why didn't you just say that as a solution to this situation? Oh that's right, because it isn't that simple. I know how to counter the SO, in fact it gives me very little trouble online. But there are times when avoiding the SO is near impossible, and the game shouldn't be that way.

And no I stopped because the first time we argued, way back during the beta, I argued with you, stomped you then stopped. You goaded me back in so I proceeded you waltz all over you again until a mod put a stop to it. If I don't stop the exact same thing will happen all over again, so if you want you can argue with the other guy that's fine with me, just don't try dragging me into it when you know how it'll end.
Hmm, if I didn't want to argue with you, I wouldn't keep starting arguments with you. I'm pretty sure it's you who doesn't want to argue with me.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Well, if it's that simple why didn't you just say that as a solution to this situation? Oh that's right, because it isn't that simple. I know how to counter the SO, in fact it gives me very little trouble online. But there are times when avoiding the SO is near impossible, and the game shouldn't be that way.
That's an opinion. : 3

In fact, I find it highly entertaining if I can force someone into a confrontation with a teammate using a Sawed Off.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
No you're right I tried adding him too. I'll join, no point saying how much better the Gnasher is than the SO if the only person that can back me up is Xanthan on these boards.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
I have 3 others, but if I get a spot i'll hit you up. Unless you want to just grab ryker and you 2 can play. Up to you fellas.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Works for me.

Be back in a minute, Pluvia. I need to get me a drink and see if I can locate my oooooooooooooooooold headset.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I typoed, i meant the gnasher is the worst of the starting weapons. I do think its the 3rd worst gun overall being better than only the gorgon and flamethrower.

:phone:

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
No one is online right now. Ryker played about 2 matches then went offline and no one else from smashboards plays this game.

Isn't this prime time for Xbox over there? I would've thought more people would be online after work and school rather than during.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Gears of War 3 causing some Xboxes to grind to a halt

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/gears-of-war-3-causing-some-xboxes-to-grind-to-a-halt/

Specifically, it seems to be limited to splitscreen Horde play with two profiles -- when the glitch hits, it permanently alters one of the profiles, making it impossible to enter any game mode. So ... that's not a great bug.

Epic is aware of it; in fact, Epic rep Rykard posted a questionnaire attempting to nail down the exact issue. We're checking in with Epic for an ETA on the fix. Until then ... try not to play Horde mode in splitscreen.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I'm still holding out for that Lancer nerf. I wish I could check what guns you've been killed by the most cause the Lancer would probably be about 40% of my deaths for me. There's nothing worse than getting into a fight only to watch as someone shoots a seemingly endless stream of bullets and ruins the CQC for you. Maybe if it was half the damage I could understand, that way it would be an actual support weapon that could still get 2 kills a clip.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I think Retro lancer is deadlier at close range than a lancer, to be honest. That thing is a monster at close range when its active-reloaded. I still think the sawed-off should be the first thing that is dealt with as far as nerfs go.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
The problem with nerfing the SO is it's impossible, unless you remove it (which they wont do), to nerf it in a way that'll stop people whining about it.

I guarantee you that everyone that's whining about it now will still be whining about it if they give it melee range.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I think Retro lancer is deadlier at close range than a lancer, to be honest. That thing is a monster at close range when its active-reloaded. I still think the sawed-off should be the first thing that is dealt with as far as nerfs go.
The thing is, the Retro isn't versatile at all. You get to medium range and it's bad. Far range and it's unusable. Lancer is only a little be worse at close range and remains just as good at all ranges aside from LUDICROUSLY far away and melee range.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Yeah, that is true, retro lancer isn't that good at long range. Decreasing the damage that the Lancer does could help, or make the clip smaller. For the SO I think it would at least make the game better for it to be reduced to melee range. I still don't understand why the gib range was increased when people always complained about the SO during the beta.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Problem with reducing the gib range is it's not hard to get within even Gnasher gib range, so the people that can't kill it with the far superior Gnasher now certaintly aren't going to do any better once it's got Gnasher gib range. Instead they'll complain about the spread, because a gun with no range but great horizontal range to compensate will still be broken to them.

If the leave its range but reduce it's spread then people will still complain about the range, because it's insanely easy to pop shot or hipfire gib someone (probably about 70% of my Gnasher kills are this way) so it'll have no horizontal range but the people that complain about the gib range now will still complain about it if it's the same.

If they reduce its range and spread then it's just a Gnasher with 1 bullet, an insanely long reload, and no range or downing abilities.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The problem with nerfing the SO is it's impossible, unless you remove it (which they wont do), to nerf it in a way that'll stop people whining about it.

I guarantee you that everyone that's whining about it now will still be whining about it if they give it melee range.
Yeah, but that's just because it's a bad weapon for the game in general. People won't stop complaining, hell I'll still hate it, but giving it the Melee range it's supposed to have would make it a lot more tolerable, and a lot more of the beginner's weapon it's supposed to be. The spread of the SO should be it's only positive. I would be absolutely fine with keeping its spread if the range is reduced. At least then it would take some effort to use.

The SO is a conceptually bad weapon for the game. Everything about it is anti-gears of war. It slows down the pace of gameplay, makes certain game modes obnoxiously anti-strategic, forces camping, and makes half the game about avoiding it specifically. It's just not right for Gears, it doesn't fit, and that's why people will keep complaining about it.

I doubt they'll change anything about the SO though. JoeGraf responded to that popular video that shows the SO's range, and said that that's exactly how it should work. Basically, ignore what the description of the gun says, bodying people well out of Melee and the Gnasher's range is exactly how it was designed.

I still say the lancer isn't that bad. The clip is way too long, but that's an easy fix. As far as ARs go, at times I feel that the retro has too much accuracy at range (it's supposed to be Medium-Close right? I'm getting hit from waaaay far away with that thing.) HB could use a couple more bullets before needing to reload. Almost every time I use it, I'll down a guy, but have to reload, and before I can shoot him dead he either crawls away, or is stolen. The ARs are pretty balanced though. Pretty much everything is, except the SO.

I mean honestly, when it comes right down to it, what GOOD does the SO do at all?

Top Bottom