• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War 3

I think it's more of an issue with the combination of the stage layout and TDM more than anything. In gametypes like Warzone/Execution, when you control the power position, it's usually devolves to using shotguns. Once the position is controlled, all that's left to do is kill everybody else and then the game resets. In TDM, the games drag on after that point. Once you control the power position, you then have to maintain it from enemies approaching to overtake you, which means more rifle/power weapon abuse, and I don't think that nerfing the rifles would make any dramatic changes to that formula. Maps like Drydock and Overpass are good examples of this.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Drydock and Overpass have difficult areas to claim and do illustrate that point, but those positions aren't NEARLY as hard to take as the ones on Sandbar and Mercy.

My favorite game mode is King of the Hill because it forces you to hold different positions. However, it probably shows even more prominently how hard some of them are to take from an organized group.

I LOVE the way it works in KotH as it emphasizes stabilizing and maintaining a point without making the entire game revolve around one position.

I'm gonna miss the old SO. My opponent's precious tears won't ever be as salty as they were before, now that the old SO is gone.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
My position on camping has always been that is should not be tolerated. Most of the time I do not agree with Epic's weapon choice. IMO, all the stages that support camping need snipers, and lots of them. Overpass could use them in the grenade areas. Mercy could use them in the pistol areas. I have always been very convinced that snipers would make camping less of an overly defensive strategy. There needs to be a drawback to it, and as of now, due to poor PW choices, there isn't really any on most stages.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
That does you no good if the camping team is able to branch out and annex those Snipers. Happens all the time on Sandbar.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
That's why the Snipers should be placed somewhere away from the central camp point. Sandbar's setup is decent, but I'd put the snipers where the pistols are, far away from the middle ground, so the team camping that spot gets no sniper access, but still controls the top an the PW there. This also encourages players to get good at more than just one skill in the game. Having snipers afoot trains people to be good with it and would incite rushes to spots, which requires some CQC skill.

This is for TDM only btw. IMO every gametype should have weapon spawns designed to address certain issues with that particular gametype. For instance, there is no reason why there should not be a grenade spawn on every map in every round in KotH. Trenches, for example, needs grenades to take the mulch/one shot spot (one could argue that the mortar does that job, but it's almost impossible to get without being shot down.)

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
My position on camping has always been that is should not be tolerated. Most of the time I do not agree with Epic's weapon choice. IMO, all the stages that support camping need snipers, and lots of them. Overpass could use them in the grenade areas. Mercy could use them in the pistol areas. I have always been very convinced that snipers would make camping less of an overly defensive strategy. There needs to be a drawback to it, and as of now, due to poor PW choices, there isn't really any on most stages.
I too have been saying snipers need to be put in grenades in Overpass too.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Does anyone else feel like in tdm you should have more health when you're down but not out?

I'm mainly an execution player, so maybe it's that feeling of hate when i die 1 second after i'm on my knees. I understand TDM with execution rules would probably drag out, and take waaay too long. But I feel like I could tolerate this game type (tdm) if we had a little more health on the floor :\

Anyone agree or am I just a spoiled executioner?

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I don't see why you should have more health when you're down. I mean at certain ranges it takes 2 gnasher shots to kill a guy who's down. Personally I think that's plenty of health. Anymore health and I'd rage when trying to shoot someone with a gnasher 3 times just to finish them off when they are down.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why you should have more health when you're down. I mean at certain ranges it takes 2 gnasher shots to kill a guy who's down. Personally I think that's plenty of health. Anymore health and I'd rage when trying to shoot someone with a gnasher 3 times just to finish them off when they are down.
This. If you had more health while down, it'd just be execution with respawns.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone else feel like in tdm you should have more health when you're down but not out?

I'm mainly an execution player, so maybe it's that feeling of hate when i die 1 second after i'm on my knees. I understand TDM with execution rules would probably drag out, and take waaay too long. But I feel like I could tolerate this game type (tdm) if we had a little more health on the floor :\

Anyone agree or am I just a spoiled executioner?
Epic wants AR users to be able to get kills at long range. Keeping that in mind, when you go down, you really shouldn't be expecting to get back up. It sucks, I know, and I don't like it very much as well, but I can see why it's been made that way.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Epic wants AR users to be able to get kills at long range. Keeping that in mind, when you go down, you really shouldn't be expecting to get back up. It sucks, I know, and I don't like it very much as well, but I can see why it's been made that way.
What's wrong with AR users being able to get medium to long range kills? If you couldn't get medium to long range kills then there wouldn't be much point to having them in the game in the first place besides softening up targets and then going in with the gnasher.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I clearly said I understand the change. I just personally don't like it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So I gave the Gnasher a try today

Using the SO for so long has believe it or not actually improved my aim while blind firing it. Pretty weird, but now I'm getting more kills with it. I guess the Gnasher truly is the beginner's shotgun I guess

ThreeX

Smash Lord
I'm not saying you should more base health, I'm saying when you're down but not out.

For example in TDM I believe it's 2 or 3 hammerburst shots to kill someone on the floor.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I'm not saying you should more base health, I'm saying when you're down but not out.

For example in TDM I believe it's 2 or 3 hammerburst shots to kill someone on the floor.
No I was talking about your down but no out health. At certain ranges it takes 2 gnasher shots to kill someone who is down but not out. Personally I think that is enough health for down but not out.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
So I played this game for about 4 hours today and so far, it's superior to Gears 2 in every way. Loving the single player and MP is pretty good. It doesn't take 30 minutes to find a game like Gears 2 did at launch. Beast mode is fun but short, haven't tried horde mode yet tho.

Does anyone know if you can stop friends from joining your games in single player?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
That reminds me, the AI in co op campaign is horrible. I ****ing hate it. For some reason I die like 20 times because they all aim for me when I play. Like for some reason when I jump off the zipline in the beginning of the game on the bridge, a lambent shoots a fireball at me mid air, and then I die before I even make it to the ground, even though there was now way of me avoiding that. Also, why is it that only host gets to get downed? For some reason I die automatically if I get hit, but the host gets the ability to be downed and crawl to me while I'm trying to stay away from the 20 locusts who seem to be all ganging up on me

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
The sawed off is effectivley unchanged from what i can see. It "cant gib u from a longer range than the gnasher" but they have pretty much the same range. Ive had less problems getting killed by it, but this game is still glitch filled and not enjoyable if you arent playing with a full party.

There have always been more problems with the SO than ridiculous kill range it has, and those problems havent changed.

I hate this game and the development team, the game is worse than it was in the beta....how do you do that?

:phone:

Everyone that plays Gears got dumber since the SO was changed.

Seriously, I would prefer bots over the idiot team mates that I keep on getting paired up with.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Whoever linked that video of some guy walking/staying behind someone with an SO for a full minute. I literally did that today with 4 people, 3 of them being SO's.
Holy **** their awareness skills must've dropped since GoW3 was made, GoW2 always kept me on my toes.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I really can't stand playing with no communication. If you're willing to try talking through a computer, I'll get on, but I'm not gonna get on and still essentially be playing alone.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I guess the only way to stop friends from joining your single player games is to appear offline. :(

And I just read this:

The other campaign trick from Gears 2 returns in this game as well. If you have a friend who would like to help you, they can set their difficulty in co-op to Casual while you play on Insane, and they will be able to mow down all the enemies while you hang back out of danger. So long as your personal difficulty is set to Insane you'll get credit for it - however, they will not. This does not work in Arcade mode though - everyone gets set to the host's difficulty.
Awesome! :)

People who use that trick are a disgrace to the COG Army. They should feel ASHAMED of themselves!!!

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure the servers aren't up right now. I just played the most frustrating match I've had in this game, and it's not even because of the SO. People were soaking up shots like it was Gears 2.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't know why you'd not want friends to join because playing with friends is the best part of the campaign.

:phone:
It isn't when the friend is getting shot down by 100 million locusts and the host is the one just chilling back using me as the bait

F8AL

Top Bottom