• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Board's Question & Answer Thread.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I discovered this tactic a couple months ago. It works on every character except Ganon himself, oddly. It is not very useful, but interesting. You are usually better off just dropping down and then reacting to what they do, since you have such a large positional advantage. Good job thinking outside the box and noticing this.

Kalm, I can't answer your question, though it is interesting.
Thanks, can't you also land a bair though? If they are at kill %'s it would be a guaranteed KO move wouldn't it?
Also aren't you better off just tech chasing until kill %'s instead of dropping down below the platform?

Couple of other questions:
Does his jab have enough hitstun that at low %'s you can infinite somebody when they are near a wall?
At what %'s do you or your opponent have to be at for Ganon's upB to have that weird hitstun?

TP

Smash Master
Thanks, can't you also land a bair though? If they are at kill %'s it would be a guaranteed KO move wouldn't it?
Also aren't you better off just tech chasing until kill %'s instead of dropping down below the platform?

Couple of other questions:
Does his jab have enough hitstun that at low %'s you can infinite somebody when they are near a wall?
At what %'s do you or your opponent have to be at for Ganon's upB to have that weird hitstun?
I doubt Bair would work, since it comes out slower than Uair. Dropping down below the platform is a form of tech chasing, since after that you can usually Dair them based on what they do, or maybe Usmash. For wall infinites, I've gotten jab to work pretty well, but Fthrow is the better choice from personal experience. Nobody knows everything there is to know about Ganon's Up B because nobody really wants to know any more about it than we already do.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Well I just want to know for the upB is it if Ganon is @ a certain % that the opponent gets weird hitstun or is it when the opponent is @ a certain %?

TP

Smash Master
POST 1000!!!!

To celebrate my 1000th post, I have an announcement: I plan to actually get good at Brawl. I've always been decent due to my knowledge and my ability to predict my opponents, but I notice that I have ZERO tech skill. I don't even DI potentially deadly hits most of the time, I can't follow up a Choke with an iDA to save my life, I don't use SS Fsmash, etc. However, my school year ends in exactly 1 week. When it does, I plan to spend lots of time every day practicing tech skill. I feel like this is a barrier I need to overcome before I can improve more. So, here is my question: can one of you list every tech skill thing I should learn for Ganon and Brawl in general? I want a long list with everything on it that I can go through, practicing and practicing until it is all in muscle memory.

I plan to step my game up, and I hope you all do the same if you are in the same boat as me.

:034:

Smash Hero
Reverse Pivot Grabs, FC -> iDa (buffered), uair to other buffered stuff (and reverse buffered), wizkick cancel on every stage, reverse uair into reverse buffered anything...

I'm not really of the technical aspect, you should ask players like Zig and DAD for that. Good luck, though, go **** my boi.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
  • Dair out of shield with full drift control
  • Flight of Ganon (only takes 60 minutes to learn... three sessions)
  • thunderstomp -> pivot dtilt (buffering)
  • Choke -> timed followups
  • All the hitboxes of uair
  • Salmon smash
  • Perfect dash dance -> DA | Pivot Fsmash
  • ?

I wonder how I'd do in a game against you. The only thing I can predict is teching, but I do have reaction, and, somehow... tech skill. (Coming from Melee, anyone who knew me would be surprised.) E.g., I can actually do **** with Falco: SHDL, silent laser, Phantasm cancels. The only thing getting from me is boost pivot grab, which I have never done.

But our ping is probably crap.

EDIT: How often does Wizkick cancel actually help anything?
Oh yeah, and you can basically say "buffered pivots after landing" after everything.

How is reverse pivot grabbing even hard? You run, then before the foxtrot IASA point, you pivot grab.

TP

Smash Master
How is reverse pivot grabbing even hard? You run, then before the foxtrot IASA point, you pivot grab.
I can't do it at all. :ohwell:

In addition to the stuff you guys have, I thought of Flipman and grab release stuff on Wario.

Dude, you are just 5 posts from 1000! You'll be like the 4th Ganon in the past couple weeks to do it.

@HomE

Smash Ace
  • Dair out of shield with full drift control
  • Flight of Ganon (only takes 60 minutes to learn... three sessions)
  • thunderstomp -> pivot dtilt (buffering)
  • Choke -> timed followups
  • All the hitboxes of uair
  • Salmon smash
  • Perfect dash dance -> DA | Pivot Fsmash
  • ?

I wonder how I'd do in a game against you. The only thing I can predict is teching, but I do have reaction, and, somehow... tech skill. (Coming from Melee, anyone who knew me would be surprised.) E.g., I can actually do **** with Falco: SHDL, silent laser, Phantasm cancels. The only thing getting from me is boost pivot grab, which I have never done.

But our ping is probably crap.

EDIT: How often does Wizkick cancel actually help anything?
Oh yeah, and you can basically say "buffered pivots after landing" after everything.

I saw a video of a Japanese Ganon and he edge canceled EVERYtime he wizkicked toward the edge, it looked sick. i would watch some Japanese Ganon vids they seem to know whats up with edge canceling. makes ganon alot more dangerous next to the edge (IMO)

i think DAD would agree here, eh?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
There really ISN'T tech skill in Brawl though... mindgames and prediction matter so much more than the little tricks that tech skill provides (except for maybe Sonic/Pika).

Smash Hero
Diddy and IC are pretty much the only characters that need certain AT's. Sonic, Pikachu and Lucas are ones that don't really need it but it's helpful for mindgames and it looks really cool. Then Snake has flashy grenade stuff... And some characters have a cool Boost Smash. Oh, Sheik has some tech stuff as well, but I don't think you really need them to be good with Sheik.

Ganondorf isn't really one to get technical, he's just a fistful of ****, and that's all you need.

Pure...

Smash Rookie
Can someone please explain to me how to do the "Flipman"? I've watched the video a dozen times and have continued to fail everytime i practice it lol. This is likely due more to my ineptitude than the instructions. I dont know why this is giving me such a hard time lol any insights?

TP

Smash Master
Hey guys, now that I have lots of time on my hands (what with school ending and all) I want to take on another thread. What do you guys think of an Advanced Choke Guide? We would discuss each character one at a time, focusing entirely on what works well against them after a choke. We would consider the speed and range of the getup attack, the distance of their roll, what stuff is guaranteed, how well they can punish us for doing risky stuff, etc. What do you say?

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Hey guys, now that I have lots of time on my hands (what with school ending and all) I want to take on another thread. What do you guys think of an Advanced Choke Guide? We would discuss each character one at a time, focusing entirely on what works well against them after a choke. We would consider the speed and range of the getup attack, the distance of their roll, what stuff is guaranteed, how well they can punish us for doing risky stuff, etc. What do you say?
This seems like a good idea mainly because the Flame Choke is one of Ganondorf's better moves.

Smash Hero
Wizkick cancel? FoG?

True statements have been boldfaced and underlined.
Wizkick cancel isn't "technical", it's "spacing". There's no technique involved, you just press down+b when you're in the right range. FoG is technical, but not necissary for Ganondorf to survive with.

EDIT: TP, that sounds like another epic thread. Let's do this.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Can someone please explain to me how to do the "Flipman"? I've watched the video a dozen times and have continued to fail everytime i practice it lol. This is likely due more to my ineptitude than the instructions. I dont know why this is giving me such a hard time lol any insights?
Practice, practice, and practice.
Once you've got the timing down you'll find it pretty easy.
Ledgedrop (SOFTLY, no fast fall), then doublejump as soon as the frames allow you to, and Uair + DI towards the stage.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Practice, practice, and practice.
Once you've got the timing down you'll find it pretty easy.
Ledgedrop (SOFTLY, no fast fall), then doublejump as soon as the frames allow you to, and Uair + DI towards the stage.
so do you tap down to ledgedrop or tap away from the stage?
do you have tap jump off or do you double tap Y/X ?
do you C-Stick the up air or just up + A?
and DI towards the stage is that DI straight right or Up and right?

I could never do this but i really only tried for like one day a long time ago then forgot..

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
so do you tap down to ledgedrop or tap away from the stage?
- Gently press down.
do you have tap jump off or do you double tap Y/X ?
- DJ with y/x. (I use x)
do you C-Stick the up air or just up + A?
- Up+A
and DI towards the stage is that DI straight right or Up and right?
- Towards the stage. (You automaticly DI up, when performing the Uair)
I could never do this but i really only tried for like one day a long time ago then forgot..
- Practice some more, then. :}

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
Only the first hit of d-smash is guaranteed.

I've had both players and computers avoid the second hit by DI'ing behind Ganon using the momentum of the first hit at any percentage.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I had my friend who doesnt really play Ganon that often doing Dittos with me awile back and he D-smashed after gerudo and i do remember at least the first hit getting me almost everytime. It kinda threw me off guard because I NEVER use D-smash(unless by mistake) i would say i use U-tilt more then D-smash... Anyway it seemed like a decent follow up, it pops them into the air behind you, would it be possible to do a IDA to follow the up at low%?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
With friend finder dead, how are you guys finding matches against other characters, now? Those of you who live in a **** nowhere city.

... Goddammit, why am I avoiding AllIsBrawl so desperately? I just don't want to sign up. :mad:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Are we not, or something? I don't particularly like them b/c they're very arbitrary half the time and can lead to flame wars and stuff (just like any of those "The Best" threads), but if general consensus is to have one, I'd let it go.

Smash Hero
Uhh, ranking threads are only useful when you've got something to rank people by. "Power Rankings" are literally "how well people do in tournaments in this area/with this character/etc". We've got practically no tournament results as it is. Btw, this counts offline tournaments only kthx. Also they need to be of a certain date, nobody likes old data.

So basically, I can give you a ranking right now:

1. Koskinator (2nd and 3rd)
2. Twilight Prince (4th)
3. Clai (65th @ apex)

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Who here aside from Kosk saw me wrecking CO18, Jerm, and Fogo in FFAs with Ganon at WHOBO on Saturday? :p

Also, should I challenge Kosk to a Ganon ditto MM if I go to Genesis, or is that just throwing money away?
I definitely spiked the **** out of you last stock :p

and then everybody booed at me for winning lol

TP

Smash Master
Uhh, ranking threads are only useful when you've got something to rank people by. "Power Rankings" are literally "how well people do in tournaments in this area/with this character/etc". We've got practically no tournament results as it is. Btw, this counts offline tournaments only kthx. Also they need to be of a certain date, nobody likes old data.

So basically, I can give you a ranking right now:

1. Koskinator (2nd and 3rd)
2. Twilight Prince (4th)
3. Clai (65th @ apex)
Sweet, I'm the second best Ganon main in the world thanks to a technicality. :laugh:

I know DLA said his best performance is 5th of 36, though I think the tournament was long ago.

Top Bottom