• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon

Life After Death

Smash Champion
Why hello there, I believe that ganondorf should be higher on the 2009 tier list due to the fact that his irrefutable strength and highly effective aerial manoeuvrings allow him to gain the upper hand in matchups that were once deemed unconquerable.

Telll me what u n***as think about this

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Definitely agree; his recently maximized grab game (and those other reasons mentioned) has surely moved him up a couple of spots.

But aren't you the one who claims this game is perfectly balanced anyways? Or is that only an extremist view to counter people who complain too much about the tier list and use it as a scapegoat for why they aren't doing well.

Although if Ganon should be moved up, then surely Jiggs deserves it too?

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
(bad)FOX dialogues:

I better shield those manly fairs. Now I can't really get out. I'm afraid of getting uaired or jabbed and I can't roll that far past him.

It's like the only option Ganon leaves for me is to be leading by hitting him back.
Even then his cape is symbolic of the way he toreadors the bull. Time to pew pew...and get cornered. QQ

FALCON:

His hit boxes just go through my nairplane! OOooOoooo!

PolMex23

Smash Champion
FALCON:

His hit boxes just go through my nairplane! OOooOoooo!

wow lol

::Top::
Fox
Marth
Falco
Sheik

::High::
Jiggs *(why is she not here?...should be higher)
Peach
Ice Climbers
CF
Ganondorf

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Sheik should be above Falco, so it should be like this

::Top::
Fox
Marth
Sheik
Falco

::High::
Peach
Jiggz
Ice Climbers
CF
Ganondorf

Though I do often think ICs should be top. As in, above Fox...

Life After Death

Smash Champion
hehe

my tier list.

top tier
fox
marth/jiggs
jiggs/marth
sheik
peach
falco(IC)
IC(falco)

high tier
mario(dr mario)
dr mario(mario)

worst match ups

fox 0 no bad match up

marth 1 sheik but they almost even

jiggs 1 fox? why? they even

sheik 1-2? IC and fox iono why people think fox counters sheik

peach 2-3? marth, fox but they almost even sheik? but they almost even

falco 3-4? jiggs IC and samus(almost even) some people think peach counters falco

but i thinks its pretty even.

IC 3 peach fox and marth? IC idk much bout so im doing the xif and judging him off toruney placing chu makes him look top tier so clearly IC must be top tier. iono much bout IC im neutral bout him. i could be puttting IC too high or too low iono

after that iono much bout the characters. i do think mario and dr mario are better than ganon and cf. iono bout samus enough to judge

Linguini

Smash Master
Top Tier
Fox
Marth
Sheik/Falco

High Tier
Peach/Jiggs
IC's
CF

The last one is kinda iffy, IMO ganon, samus, and doc are all around the same level as characters.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
that is me lol. ill tell u why its like that lol no ur stupid ur not thinking it thru lol. falco is not low he still top tier.

yea i do think thiers def bout 5-6 top tier characters.

Linguini

Smash Master
peach is not better than falc0ck, he's like just as good as sheik, his matchups are just as good as hers.
jiggs is weird so i dont know about her.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
The h3ll's that mean?

You do? Or my thoughts are irrelevant?

Get the fvck outta here.

-Kimo
I'm just saying for someone who's been for the most part absent since 2006...

Chops: you must be smoking some super drugs to put falco below Peach. Falco doesnt have any bad matchups he's even with every top tier. I don't know where you get Samus being even a slight counter Falco either, since when has Samus even been relevant to the metagame in the past 2 years.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Fox
Marth
Sheik
Falco

High
Jiggz * Idk but it seems that jiggz should be top. Lack of popularity hurts her
Peach
Ice Climbers
Captain
Ganon

Middle
Doc
Luigi *
Dk *
Samus *These 4 can all switch between eachother, i favor Weeg an Dk
Mario*

Life After Death

Smash Champion
I'm just saying for someone who's been for the most part absent since 2006...

Chops: you must be smoking some super drugs to put falco below Peach. Falco doesnt have any bad matchups he's even with every top tier. I don't know where you get Samus being even a slight counter Falco either, since when has Samus even been relevant to the metagame in the past 2 years.
well is thats the case i think ur smoking if u think fox counters peach u must be smoking those super drugs too. i wish i was as cool as u.

falco vs samus i put that they almost at least even iono mcuh bout that amtch up to judge so ima just automatically think they even or almost even but i do know thats the 3rd hardest amtch up for falco but thye even anyway basing it off their current metagame. iono anythign about jiggs vs peach so thats the flaw that could make my tier list wrong not that im saying im right its just wat i think. i dont care wat people think of my tier list cuz ill just call em dumb too for giving their opinion of their own tier list or w/e. call it wrong or dumb or it will still be wat i think ill just call u dumb right back.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
God, I hate tierlist arguements.

__

I dont really think ganon should move. Everybody in this community always looks at matchups above a character at a tierlist, nobody really looks below.

Ganon actually has a "worse matchup ratio" below him than some of the people above him.

I dunno why smash has this thing where only the matchups above them matter. That only works if all of the other characters can NEVER be played in tourney.
jiggs 1 fox? why? they even

after that iono much bout the characters. i do think mario and dr mario are better than ganon and cf. iono bout samus enough to judge
Definite "bad matchup", because if you ask pretty much any jiggs player ( -sighs- even "the great mango" himself), he's gunna tell you doc jiggs is "unwinnable for jiggs" -laughs-
... I hardly agree with it, but by the smash definition of a "bad matchup", i could see that being put in there too.

Not to mention y.link jiggs isnt too good for jiggs either, but I know I have no way of concivincing anybody of that because there arent any enough good y.link players to merit that.

Hell, I have alpha and tsunami to attest to this; I think if I put in some work and figure out what to do on shield, I can prove that ****ing ness/jiggs is a HORRID matchup for jiggs.

___

--edit--

I've always thought for years (and still do) that tierlists in this game really region dependent.

As crazy as that sounds, if you look at how things go, it looks like if you live in the south (save CFL and SFL), you really need to know how to fight the whole cast cause just about every good character is covered, gets played in tourney, and does well.

If you look at like, midwest for example, capfal and jiggs seem to run through more people than they really "should", more often than not.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
lol i dont care wat people say bout jiggs vs fox that **** is dead even one of the most even match ups in the game lol. i know juan likes that match up though.

i dont know anything about the other characters so im neutral about wat u think about Y link and his other match ups

exarch

doot doot doot
Actually I like the overall look of Chops' list better than most others.

Jiggs is pretty definitely top tier, probably in the top 3. And just because Jiggs gets camped by Ylink doesn't take away her ridiculous combos and edgeguarding on him, plus the fact that one mistake and it's his stock. I'd equate that to how people used to say Ness/Roy/DK did well against Fox. For low tiers? Sure. But otherwise do they get ***** our of their minds? Yes.

Fox is still top tier. Jiggs is still top tier.

More than two jumps, the ability to combo people into a KILL move, absurd edgeguarding ability, the ability to take stocks on relatively small mistakes (i.e. using the wrong attack on shield/when she's ducking,) and she escapes combos and edgeguards better than pretty much anyone else in the game. Jiggs has too much going for her to NOT be top tier.

Dogy apparently I don't understand the doc jiggs matchup. Can't puff spam WOP without fear of anything? Isn't her edgeguard game a big reason for concern? I used to think Jiggs owned Mario and Doc had it only a little better because he could kill her...

Chops, you should include Sheik as a bad matchup for peach; sheik has a small advantage against her. And since sheik, marth, and fox are more prevalent in tourney than jiggs, samus, and icys, it makes sense to have peach below falco.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
Dogy apparently I don't understand the doc jiggs matchup. Can't puff spam WOP without fear of anything? Isn't her edgeguard game a big reason for concern? I used to think Jiggs owned Mario and Doc had it only a little better because he could kill her...

I can dabble on this match up a tad bit

Puff can spam WoP, but shes going to have to move around Doc's pills which can be somewhat of a problem due to there trajectory. These same pills can prevent jiggs from ledge camping unless there doing it frame perfect i think, and well we all know jiggs player cant do anything technical lol *j/K*. Jiggs comes in and she will probably get Nair or uptilte out and doc goes right back to pill spamming. At 90% if Doc lands a grab, he can D throw to Fair jiggs and shes done *this is guarantee*. This is what I know from dogy but im sure he can clean up what i have to say.

XIF

Smash Master
Actually I like the overall look of Chops' list better than most others.

Jiggs is pretty definitely top tier, probably in the top 3. And just because Jiggs gets camped by Ylink doesn't take away her ridiculous combos and edgeguarding on him, plus the fact that one mistake and it's his stock. I'd equate that to how people used to say Ness/Roy/DK did well against Fox. For low tiers? Sure. But otherwise do they get ***** our of their minds? Yes.

Fox is still top tier. Jiggs is still top tier.

More than two jumps, the ability to combo people into a KILL move, absurd edgeguarding ability, the ability to take stocks on relatively small mistakes (i.e. using the wrong attack on shield/when she's ducking,) and she escapes combos and edgeguards better than pretty much anyone else in the game. Jiggs has too much going for her to NOT be top tier.

Chops, you should include Sheik as a bad matchup for peach; sheik has a small advantage against her. And since sheik, marth, and fox are more prevalent in tourney than jiggs, samus, and icys, it makes sense to have peach below falco.
I actually would put Sheik-Peach as even, but that is actually largely stage dependent. Smaller stages tend to favor Peach more, and FD removes alot of Sheik's solid needle game when she has platforms.

Peach has 2 bad matchups, Marth and Fox. Marth is tough but winnable, Fox is manageable on FD, but a nightmare elsewhere. But the fact that Those 2 are the most popular characters greatly diminishes Peach's viability in tournament.

I just don't understand how anyone can say Falco has any disadvantageous matchups. Short hop lasers alone even out just about everything. You could slap SHL on any character and they would automatically be good. IC's can mess up just about every character with one grab anyway now, so I think the difference in how easy, hard, viable, or not is a moot point nowadays, since 1 grab with any top IC player now means death if you dont break out. The measure of how good someone is vs IC's is how well they avoid grabs and how well they seperate them. This is obvious when you look at Peach, whom with Float Cancel there's nothing they can do viably to grab her, and d smash is probably the best move in the game to seperate them with. Falco has lasers and Shine to avoid grabs and his combos when they do start to land can easily concentrate on one. Personally, I find a Falco getting grabbed by IC's just as deadly as Marth grabbing Falco. And while Wave dashing does make grabbing arguably easier, anyone that played Johnny's marth back in the day would know just how easy Marth can get around lasers, something IC's cannot accomplish as easily.

I think that there may be an argument for Jiggs being a bad matchup, but from what I have seen, there are things falco can do to shut down basic strats with jiggs. And even assuming that, Falco still retains fantastic matchups against the other 3 best characters in the game, and considering the vast popularity of Fox, Marth, and even Sheik over jiggs, I can't imagine Falco being lower than 3rd on the tier list.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
My tier list:

S TIER
Marth
Fox
Shiek

Falco

HIGH TIER
Peach
Jiggs
Falcon
ICs
Gannon(yeah so what)

The top 3 all go pretty much even vs eachother but if one had to win

Fox>Shiek
Shiek>Marth
Marth>Fox

most of the time its stage dependent which character has the super slight advantage.

Then you have Falco.

Falco competes with the top 3 but loses to characters a tier lower than him(Peach,Jiggs,ICs)

Falco=/>Fox
Falco=/>Shiek
Marth>Falco(this is why I think Marth may have the real S status)

This game's tiers really are crazy.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
lol pete hasnt been on the scene at all and he knows wat he's talking about a lot mroe than most people in the boards lol he;s one of the few people that noticed why falco isnt the same level as sheik. he is top tier but has harder time vs tiers lower than him than certain top tiers

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
Falco really is in a tier by himself.

he kinda keeps the top tiers in line but is kept out of S Tier, in my opinion, due to him being all offense and no defense, so characters that are able to keep up with him on stage always put him at risk for being knocked off the stage.

bleh this is known

XIF

Smash Master
Falco really is in a tier by himself.

he kinda keeps the top tiers in line but is kept out of S Tier, in my opinion, due to him being all offense and no defense, so characters that are able to keep up with him on stage always put him at risk for being knocked off the stage.

bleh this is known
I had something better in mind for this post, but I've argued this ad nauseum with chops, and it's never gotten anywhere.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
just what the general consensus is.

falco is my worst matchup for whatever character I play, but I try not to let my hatred for a character sway my opinion.

falco is not in the same league as fox/sheik/marth

and hes better than peach/jiggs/ic overall but is kept out of S by them XIFFY.

peach definitely beats falco or its even, falco does not beat peach.

isnt this thread about gannon?

kage is fvcking homo.

search that kage you homo

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Is there anything really barring ICs from being absolute top? I mean, as XIF said, if they get a grab, you lose a stock; that sounds pretty top tier to me.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Xif, I hardly need to have been around to see what's currently happening with Jiggs, and form a reasonable opinion. Not to mention conversations with Box about why he believes Puff is so good.

Sheik is still considered good???

Haven't played a high level Sheik in a long time, but she seems so limited in the metagame now. D@mn, this game's come a long way.

-Kimo

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
I was just wondering why Ganondorf is in the very middle of the tiers. Before I get into what I mean, allow me to first put out there that I have been playing for years, and I have watched MANY videos of the tournament masters.

My brother and I found out, through years of play, literally EVERY advanced technique in the game, except the wavedash, which we stumbled upon, but wrote off as simply hilarious. I was surprised to find that all the wacky observations we have encountered and adapted are actually defined in the glossary in the sticky topic above! Three of the particularly surprising terms that I could not believe had been widely known and utilized were the Phantom Hit (I just thought I had a glitchy game) and that effect where recovering at the right time from attacks that sent you flying results in an upward boost if you jump out/air dodge/whatever early enough (I cannot remember what it was called in the sticky), and the waveland.

Now, I have been using Ganondorf against my brother lately, and he cannot seem to beat me. We think we know why, and we think it puts Ganon at the top of the tiers. I will be brief. Ganondorf has his air forward. We call it 'The Punch.' It has that special hitbox like a sword, hence it goes right through anything except an attack with that same type of hitbox. It does 17% max, is relatively fast executing, has basically instant recovery on a barrier cancel, and is quite massive, killing at rather low percentages.

If he misses, he can just do his A punch if the opponent tries to retaliate, or shield/roll. I am telling you, Ganondorf is a crazy meat mountain who crushes bones with many attacks doing 15+%, survives to insane damages thanks to his weight, and has ridiculous horizontal recovery (Double Jump, Ganondorf Kick Down B, ANOTHER Double Jump, ARE YOU SERIOUS, Up B).

Next, check his roll. It goes like half screen. It makes him rather fast, nearly eliminating his speed problem on the ground, and a great character when it comes to the defensive game. It pretty much eliminates the need for his wavedash, which, with Ganondorf, who needs to do most of his attacking from hops, is pretty much useless already unless you are looking to smash attack. Wavesmashing, however, in my opinion, is also a bad idea, because, in the time and damage it takes you to actually land a smash, you could have just used The Punch and killed you opponent by then.

Even though he has to fight mostly in the air, 3 of his 4 air attacks are pretty fast, and are quite massive. A major advantage he has is that nearly all his attacks move the opponent considerably, and can topple him from 0%, so his opponent gets little to no counterattack opportunity.

The only explanation I can find for why he is low on the tiers is that no one has used him seriously. I think he really keeps up, if not tops, the top tier characters.

I really do not like to simply shoot my mouth, and I am not one who thinks it right to shower a character in encomium, and never actually prove anything. Is there online for this somewhere, or is that simply wishful thinking? If not, please do not yell at me and stuff until you at least check out The Punch. Goes right through projectiles, goes right through attacks, goes right through faces. Please just give Ganondorf another shot and tell me what you thnk.

Final Comment: People have a tendency to think that posts from newcomers to a board but veterans of its respective game are saying they are better than everyone else, regardles of what the post actually says. Please note that I did not say 'I am better than you' or 'Ganon is better than Fox.' I said, essentially: 'Ganon seems to be great. These are his strengths. He may top Fox. Check him out and see if you agree.' I will say, however, that I am a full master of Ganondorf.

Please give Ganondorf a second look before responding so you know where I am coming from!

exarch

doot doot doot
Syn- www.aps.org or just go browse the public library were the two suggestions given to me.

Also, look at M2k's sheik on youtube.

Jav- Yes, definitely. There are MANY ways for almost ANY character to escape from the grabs, however you have to know what you're doing. Most people don't know this or aren't responsible enough to learn this matchup to know how to get out. Unless they're wobbling, but IMO that should be a banned tactic--as it eliminates the opponent's control of their character for an extended period of time. When I played regularly with Hozart, I could keep up with CF, Ganon, Doc, Falco (and obviously peach.) Also at Pound 3, the only person to take a set off Chu was TheLaw as Falco. You want to know how falco can do against Icys? It's very close to even.

That said they still have a devastating grab game, ridiculous damage payout, disjointed hitboxes everywhere, and evenish matchups with the best characters in the game, so I do think they are top 6.

Xif: I figured I'd call Sheik Peach slight disadvantage to peach to try to give Chops reason to put her below Falco, but since you disagree, nvm. I do think it is (very) slightly in sheik's favor though.

Also by spamming ice blocks, Icys can outdamage a SHB spamming falco, unless the falco is being extremely careful to maneuver around the blocks, which in turn leaves him open for other approaches. SHB does not have a huge effect on the Icy-Falco matchup. Falco's strengths are his tilts and smashes more than his blaster and aerials.

Once Falco starts focusing on spacing, Icys and Samus become much easier matchups. Idk how that effects the jiggs match.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Doc runs around and throws pills at various places. Jiggs can (read: pretty much has to) do any kind of aerial to maybe get through a pill and move. Doc gets a chance to pick that off with -pick a move that's not f.air-

Jiggs has to call real bad di + no jumpout to land any kind of rest combo. Any missed rest leads to heavy damage or death (standard is 4 capes + f.smash, there's actually so much more that can be done)

Along with that, doc has dunks. Pretty decent % range land it since jiggs is light.

Doc can actually defend himself on recovery, d.air, b.air, cape, pills. Still doesnt help the fact that his recovery as a whole blows, but he can actually defend himeslf.

Jiggs realistically cant ledgecamp doc ever. Jiggs starts ledgecamping, doc starts throwing pills over the edge. Jiggs then has to stay frame perfect or takes 2/3 pills just to get back on the stage.

Overall, Doc does better against jiggs than mario because pills bounce, which leads to more air control (which is where jiggs is going to be anyway).

___

It's not that jiggs cant do anything, there's actually plenty jiggs can do, but this community tends to think that a 6-4 match is highly unwinnable for the disadvantage character. So take that how you will.

Top Bottom