• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Zink

Smash Champion
Facepalm? Maybe you should just stop sucking at Brawl? LAWL.

Just called the mall. My gamestop tourney has over 64 people already. Its terribly unorganized, and the store is tiny. If I lose and melt into the crowd I would eventually forgive myself, but it'd be a pretty tough process. Apparently I don't need a parent/guardian with me either, so maybe some people who are put off by that aspect should at least check with the store manager first.
That many? Assuming it's single elimination, you're gonna have a hard time if you run into any lucky kids. Do you know anyone who's going?

I think we should update the first post to tell people to call local Gamestops, seeing as this is so disorganized. I mean, if some stores aren't even playing Brawl there's some serious communication problems going on.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
I can't figure out why 4chan would think Smashboards would be a good target for invasion. I know they're the last word on internet culture in their own minds, but I don't really see the lulz around here.
The only people that care for an invasion are ***gots from the random board. The board that you often see being mentioned here /v/ just doesn't like the "HURRR, we are better than casuals because we know every facet of Smash. We're not the scrubs, but we're not willing to try things like new controls, want Brawl to be Melee with more characters, and think that Brawl will suck because it doesn't have wavedashing or other adv. techs. Talk about adapting to methods of play in Melee, but refuse to play Brawl if it doesn't match up exactly and we have to change how we play" members amongst you. (That's only a small part of it)

In all fairness, a good lot of you probably are better at Smash, but that's only because some of you have spent the past 7 or so years playing the hell out of a video game. I'm sure if some of the casuals who have a knack for videogames, played the game to the levels that some of you guys do, they'd be just as good, if not better. Okay, that may not be the only reason, but it'll be a big part of it.

Now, that doesn't mean that accounts for everyone on this board, since people here and on /v/ seem to pick out extreme examples of each. /v/ will take the most moronic posts from here, and some of you will take moronic posts from there and use that to stereotype everybody on each board. But people on the internet have a tendency to read what they want to read. I'm sure someone will see this post and miss out this paragraph.

tl;dr 4chan doesn't want to invade, bar a few underage individuals. The only people that are hated are those on the extreme side of tourney***gotry, just some of you hate extreme casuals. You all read what you want to read, not what is said half of the time.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
That many? Assuming it's single elimination, you're gonna have a hard time if you run into any lucky kids. Do you know anyone who's going?

I think we should update the first post to tell people to call local Gamestops, seeing as this is so disorganized. I mean, if some stores aren't even playing Brawl there's some serious communication problems going on.
Yea, I got butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it. Plenty of my friends are going, seeing as how they also changed the time to 8PM to allow more people. The list is definitely huge, and when I asked them if their was a limit they said they had no idea how many people they were going to have!

So yeah, definitely call your local gamestops. They also emphasized that they were indeed playing Brawl, which leads me to believe that there were some misconceptions about playing Melee. I'm wondering if they even expect anybody to attend a round 2, if they're not even asking me for parent's consent. Though i guess they'll just ask me when I win.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It is, however, funny to see you take on a strictly defensive stance as opposed to your former "**** YO COUCH, CASUALS" attitude.
I wasn't telling casual players how to play. I wasn't telling them that their way of playing was wrong. What I was doing is telling people how casual players tended to play because some competitive players were worried about having to overcome learning a new game and facing them. I then told them basically how to play against them and listed out clearly things that would help them win given the incredibly ****ty rules this tournament has.

Yes, I got caught up in the moment a bit more than I am now, but my message is still the same. Casual players play on instinct and habits, and for the most part aren't as educated on Brawl as the competitive players here. They typically don't adjust their play during matches and usually cave in to suggestion under stress. They also tend to be psyched out easier than competitive players because they aren't used to playing under pressure as much.

You can criticize me all you want, but I never invaded another forum to tell others how they should play a game.

Zink

Smash Champion
How about we talk about the topic at hand? Feeding trolls only makes them larger.

Tabris, I imagine that if everyone stopped whining, on both sides, there wouldn't be a problem. Honestly, I don't care how you play the game, as long as you don't flip out over how _I_ play the game. We have zero grounds for conflict, and no way to resolve a conflict anyway.

Libo, wow, lots of people. I'm gonna call around to try to find the quietest location. I sure don't want to find up playing a friend!

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
So in the end, everyone is wrong, Mookie has a habit of coming off sounding pretentious/elitist/many words I think but can't say due to the filter, and we all have a few chuckles and move on with our lives.

And hey, this tournament is going to be the ultimate in random. Maybe I'll get a guy who plays pro level Melee and has trained for weeks on an import Brawl.

Maybe I'll get a guy on par with me in skill.

Maybe I'll get a foe who doesn't even know you can use Up+B to recover.

This isn't a WHO IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD tournament at this stage. At this point, it's just a fun get together that happens to let Gamestop say "hey, you want to pick up Brawl? What, undecided? Come on down on Saturday night, we'll have a tournament just so you can play before you buy!"

Zink

Smash Champion
So in the end, everyone is wrong, Mookie has a habit of coming off sounding pretentious/elitist/many words I think but can't say due to the filter, and we all have a few chuckles and move on with our lives.

And hey, this tournament is going to be the ultimate in random. Maybe I'll get a guy who plays pro level Melee and has trained for weeks on an import Brawl.

This isn't a WHO IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD tournament at this stage. At this point, it's just a fun get together that happens to let Gamestop say "hey, you want to pick up Brawl? What, undecided? Come on down on Saturday night, we'll have a tournament just so you can play before you buy!"
if they haven't already sold out via preorders, lolz. worst case scenario come March 9 is... shortages :(

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@Zink
Yeah, I should stop it where it is. I was doing this half for seeing if goose would actually debate a little, and half for anyone else who read what I said and shared his sentiments at any point.

As far as the tournament goes, it still seems that Ike and D3 are some of your best bets seeing as how they aren't very hard to play and it's easy to score a KO within the time limit at hand purely by punishing mistakes. D3 still wins out due to his amazingly easy chain grab, and that would do wonders for destroying your opponents morale as well as pretty much everyone else in the room that isn't aware of it.

YSM

Smash Apprentice
What gooseman fails to realize is that previous knowledge from Melee DOES help. A LOT. And I'm a casual player. As a casual player, I realize we have weaknesses. One of which is not knowing advanced techniques. Now granted, some advanced techniques are rarely useful. But most are OFTEN useful. And while some, like wavedash and L-cancel are gone, many other important ones such as teching and DI still remain. How do you chaingrab? Casuals don't know. How do you ESCAPE a chaingrab. Casuals definitely don't know. How often do casuals tech, and do they know how to punish those that don't? What about shield grabs and jump cancels? From personal experience I can tell you that they make a world of difference...I'm just now learning how to do these, but it's already made a difference in my play. I'm less predictable. Instead of just spamming smash attacks, I might try a shield grab. Instead of simply falling to the ground, I might tech and bounce back with an attack of my own. I knew none of this before. And guess what? A TON of techniques are STILL HERE. If you think that's not an advantage, you're simply in denial.

Another thing to keep in mind is we KNOW what the characters do and how they act. Granted, we don't know the intricate details...no one does, because the game hasn't been out long enough to discover a wealth of techinques. But as someone who's seen many videos of PT, I have a distinct advantage over someone who doesn't. Do they know Squirtle has a ridiculous air game? That Ivysaur's Bullet Seed can do up to 50% damage if done correctly? That Charizard's FAir is insanely good? No. I do, because I've seen videos. Therefore, I have an improved knowledge of how to play the character. Am I a veteran with PT from watching videos? Hardly. But a basic knowledge vs no knowledge whatsoever is still an advantage.

And when you combine both of the above factors, you're simply idiotic to deny that competitive players here have an advantage over casuals. Period.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a

Agreed on all points!

I would type my own thoughts but they'd just end up being slight variations of your own.

Here's hoping to a fun time!

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Aye, that's true. You'll never get that though.

I don't really care how people play either, I'll never come across a tourney player since I will never put in the effort to find one let alone participate (especially in the UK, where gaming tourneys are a rare thing anyway) and if I ever did, I know enough about the game to know what will be coming so I'm pretty set.

I'll play whatever way, as long as I'm having fun in the end, the means by which I'm having fun doesn't really matter to me.

It still won't change some of the people here on the extreme side of the tourney*** scale.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Really I never think Mookie comes off as pretentious. He is extremely nice.

My gosh, all he says there is some ways that are easy to counter people who don't play smash at a competitive level. How is this pretentious in any way?

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I was more under the impression that Mookie was being awesome, and people became jealous is all.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hey thought I'd mention that I decided to check out that thread on /v/ to see what things were really looking like over there. I happened to find a post in there supposedly made by gooseman:
Just between you, myself, and the rest of /v/...

it really WAS trollbait, lawl. I just didn't want all of /v/ involved, and I really didn't post the ****ing thread.
Whether it was him or not, doesn't really matter. Sometimes it's better to just let things go, which is what I think we need to do in this topic. If he hasn't been convinced by now, he won't be for a long long time, even if he was serious. It would probably be best to just drop the whole thing and get back to the original topic, assuming that's possible at this point. As if people haven't spent enough time typing WoTs for this.

(WoT = Wall of Text, btw. Yes, jigglypuff is indeed invading our posts.)

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I gots keen observation.

As far as loyalty goes, the bitterness made me sweat. I mean, I came into this without reading a whole 4 pages, wth did I have to say? I was only inclined to say anything because I spent 5 minutes reading through that 4chan thread.

Oh yeah, and the wiimote + nunchuck ain't that bad. I just switched to it today and had no trouble getting used to it. Don't have a classic controller to test out though.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Really I never think Mookie comes off as pretentious. He is extremely nice.

My gosh, all he says there is some ways that are easy to counter people who don't play smash at a competitive level. How is this pretentious in any way?
It's more to do with how the message was delivered, not the message itself. I can't find the post, but there is one that is being posted quite a lot around /v/ that doesn't come across very well.

That and some newer members who will circlejerk around people like mookie because they're mods or well known around these parts.

I'll try to find that post and show you how, from a casual's pov, it comes off as a bit pretentious.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
And here comes the Mookie defense squad.
Isn't that the logical reaction to the Mookie hate squad?

Seriously, for all my critics, NONE of you have debated my points with me. I'd like to debate with you, but so far you just tell me that I'm elitist and pretentious.

For that matter, I'd like anyone to debate the strategies I've put up in this thread for the tournament. They are logical and based on advice given to me from multiple sources who have all played the game quite thoroughly. I'm positive that if you took some of my advice with you to your tournament that you will come out on top, ESPECIALLY my big spiel on observation. Hell, that would not only help in smash, but other competitive games as well.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
If your post wasn't accompanied by two others, nobody would have said a thing. And with this being posted:
I was more under the impression that Mookie was being awesome, and people became jealous is all.
People were bound to jump onto it.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Back on topic guys.

Even though Dedede and Ike have great KO potential, wouldn't it be safer to just use a character that you are more familiar with? I know the logic behind your assumptions but I think that using a comfortable character is your best bet. Playing a comfortable character is a good way to avoid SDs and other character awkwardnesses. What do you think?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It shouldn't matter that I have friends that back me up. That is a non-issue. What matters is that my critics have yet to actually challenge the points I've made. Instead they criticize my character.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Smash balls are incredibly easy to break open by throwing items. Also, try to be sneaky with item drops. I've stolen a few FS'es by making my friends pursue me and then dropping an item. Its a good combo setup, and not many people see it coming. A lot of people catch items by using aerials too. If you can, you should punish people who do this too often.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
For that matter, I'd like anyone to debate the strategies I've put up in this thread for the tournament.
It isn't the strategies that you posted that are at fault. I'm sure they're pretty sound. Having not played Brawl myself or bothered to look into gameplay mechanics that much, I can't contest it anyway. It's the delivery of what you said in this post that people are bothered about:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3979617&postcount=57

travis.luckiest

Smash Apprentice
Isn't that the logical reaction to the Mookie hate squad?

Seriously, for all my critics, NONE of you have debated my points with me. I'd like to debate with you, but so far you just tell me that I'm elitist and pretentious.

For that matter, I'd like anyone to debate the strategies I've put up in this thread for the tournament. They are logical and based on advice given to me from multiple sources who have all played the game quite thoroughly. I'm positive that if you took some of my advice with you to your tournament that you will come out on top, ESPECIALLY my big spiel on observation. Hell, that would not only help in smash, but other competitive games as well.
hey whoa ..i was just explaining how some of these kids could see you as elitist
i know you're not a bad guy ..i've played lots of brawl ..and you're right about most of the stuff you say ..most importantly the idea of punishing people for their mistakes just like in melee ..and your original idea for this gamestop tournament (playing as ike ..getting early lead then camping) is a great idea ..ike is extremely noob friendly and his amazing knockback with amazing range even throws off old competitive melee players

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I never said your points were illogical, bad, or anything of the sort.

I dunno. Just something about things you post sometimes just makes me want to put my fist through a computer monitor. Can't help it, Mook, somehow you just rub me the wrong way.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
I dunno. Just something about things you post sometimes just makes me want to put my fist through a computer monitor. Can't help it, Mook, somehow you just rub me the wrong way.
This guy pretty much sums up my own feelings.

Except the punching part.

I'M SO BRAVE

Anyways.

I think the topic's reached it's full potential in terms of advice, since Mookie already covered the psychological aspect, and at that point, it's just a matter of adapting to the new game.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
Perhaps people hate you, Mookie, because you come off as an ******* in your posts. Seriously, re-read this again.
If you completely and totally shut them down early on, you have won the match. The moment you have instilled fear in them, you have won. Your goal should be to take complete and total control over the flow of the match. Once you make them feel as if they cannot do anything to you, they will break down and lose horrendously. This is the difference between a decent player and a good player.
...Ugh.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Last I checked this topic isn't about what you think of Mookie.
Really, if you view him as elitist, then you can... you know, not read his post (<-- revolutionary idea. I know, I'm a genius).

Anyway, since there's really no tips we can give on and, there's no way to tell people how to break the rules since all Gamestops are doing their own thing it seems.

Still, some people might have some more questions about characters so tis thread should still be kept on topic.

Here's one.
Back on topic guys.

Even though Dedede and Ike have great KO potential, wouldn't it be safer to just use a character that you are more familiar with? I know the logic behind your assumptions but I think that using a comfortable character is your best bet. Playing a comfortable character is a good way to avoid SDs and other character awkwardnesses. What do you think?
While, at first I was going to stick with my Melee main thinking that being comfortable with the moveset would give me a advantage. However, seeing as how many characters have changed (not moveset wise but, more like attack properties wise), you might be just as well off using a newcomer.

Especially in the case of Ike and DDD since they're looking to be the best characters for this sort of thing.

Maybe if you're Melee main didn't change that much like Fox or Samus then you might want to stick with them but, if they changed drastically like Mario (that whole FLUDD thing and no more tornado recovery) or sheik (Fair is only a shadow of it's former glory) then going with DDD or Ike might be a better idea.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Woah, thats harsh. I'm honestly a little insulted that Mookie can generalize people into "Decent" players. Even more so because Mookie is always so very, super serious. That has got to be the most smug, egotistical post ever.

Seriously though, its a pretty accurate observation. Coming from someone who has been on that losing side before...

Whatever though. Its certainly not anything worth getting bitter about.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Ok this is starting to piss me off.

Whatever the hell a node is, we need more of them....

Well,Since I already double posted.

Quote for emphasis.

Last I checked this topic isn't about what you think of Mookie.
Really, if you view him as elitist, then you can... you know, not read his post (<-- revolutionary idea. I know, I'm a genius).

Top Bottom