• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps people hate you, Mookie, because you come off as an ******* in your posts. Seriously, re-read this again.

...Ugh.
Ya know what...that does work though. Not sure for brawl but in tekken once you show who's boss people do fear you and will ask you to go easy on em , for example i was playing with a friend but there were 2 girls doing something on my PC so they needed my help , what did i do? I kept playing tekken while looking at the PC screen and giving em instructions...all i did was random attacks without even thinking about it cause i knew of his skill level and then i hear it , *Perfect* , i guarantee ya , that person was scarred for life...part cause he lost so bad and part cause his Gf (one of the 2 girls) was there and was a bit anal about how i did it and if i'd teach her to beat him...which i actually did :laugh:.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@Dokuro
Wow. Of all the things to claim I'm being a *******. That my friend is called psychology. If you beat people at a mental game, they can't beat you. It's referred to as "psyching" people out. There is nothing inherently wrong with that at all.

@Travis
In that post I got caught up in the excitement of it. Myself and others were having fun with breaking the tournament in half at the time. I'm sorry if I offended people, as I did use words there that I shouldn't have.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Despite not being able to provide much in the way of gameplay tips, best thing to do is just go out there and have fun. Win or lose, regardless of who it is against.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps people hate you, Mookie, because you come off as an ******* in your posts. Seriously, re-read this again.

...Ugh.

This thread was made for people to come up with some tips for the game stop tournament, there is nothing wrong with what mookierah has said, he is simply putting in his opinion on tips for the tournament. Now yes his posts do sound a little cocky but thats fine, you can be as cocky as you want as long as you contribute in some way to this thread. So for that i say thank you to mookierah for contributing and putting his opinion in.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Ok this is starting to piss me off.

Whatever the hell a node is, we need more of them....
A node is a reference point that your computer connects to in another computer's port in order to communicate with it. This is how the internet works.

It means that there are too many connecting for the multithreaded server to work properly because people take all the necessary nodes.

About Mookie's post, come on. I have seen Casual's claim stuff like
Those rules at least make sense. There are people that want to play the game the way it was designed (i.e. without exploits like wave dashing, or any glitches, etc.) which I abide by. I don't edge hog either because I find it dishonorable (though I do edge GUARD). And I still beat people that "do anything to win".
I am the most knowledegable person in SSB 64 and I can beat in player who challenges me
And this guy hasn't even proven himself! I mean you wouldn't ***** at this guy right for being a little pretentious? This is probably the biggest problem I have. You would crictize a "tourneytard" before you would a casual. Believe me, I think people like 5150 is ********. No lie.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
A node is a reference point that your computer connects to in another computer's port in order to communicate with it. This is how the internet works.

It means that there are too many connecting for the multithreaded server to work properly because people take all the necessary nodes.
Wow, I never knew you were the informative type. Thanks for the explanation.
The more you know ;)

So what you're saying is we need less noobs on these boards.

All the more reason to look forward to march 9th when half of the people here leave for good.

And as for the "conceded" Mookie thing, I already gave the answer to that.

If you're finding you're self offended or, whatever, by what he types just don't read his post. It's not hard...

Are we back on topic now?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

...Ugh.
Wait, so people hate him for telling the truth? Go figure.

Anyway, I would like to argue the idea of using ike for the tourney, with the simple consideration that items will be on. Ike is in the bottom quarter of the pack in terms of raw speed, and will have trouble getting to items against other faster characters. The problem with this is that it means if you don't get the item first, you don't have a projectile, but regardless of what character your foe uses, your foe does. And then starmen, hammers, and healing items... even smash balls, all of which ike would have more trouble getting to and using than faster characters. Projectiles in any form can be used to keep ike at bay, and not really leave you much to "punish" unless they continue spamming them even in close range, which even casuals should realize at that point that they need to switch to melee attacks. Furthermore, unless you plan to train with slow characters before the tourney (or are used to using slower characters in melee, of course) getting used to ike's slowness/lag, the controller, and the new physics might be too much to do as quickly as you would need to. Ike is highly punishable himself, so if you mess up against even a decent casual, you could still find yourself eating a smash, which if your foe abuses projectiles, you will have plenty of damage to be sent flying.

Faster characters that can build up damage quickly, and with at least one good kill move, I think will be favored in this environment. With the speed to abuse the items should they appear, and the ability to still function well even if luck isn't on your side, the only thing they might lack is the ability to survive well. But hey, with DI and the various defensive tactics in this game (that your opponent may not know about), I think it will overall give a better chance at winning.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
And this guy hasn't even proven himself! I mean you wouldn't ***** at this guy right for being a little pretentious? This is probably the biggest problem I have. You would crictize a "tourneytard" before you would a casual. Believe me, I think people like 5150 is ********. No lie.
People like that are just as bad as extreme tourney***s. Both are opposite sides of the same coin and are best avoided.

Wait, so people hate him for telling the truth?
No, people are saying they dislike him for how he delivers his messages, not the actual content. There's a difference.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
This tournement is going to be lame. Whoever pirates Smash will win.
Not true. I beat a guy who owned it on my second try. Granted he was using Ice Climbers, but still. They've only had it for a month over you, tops. They can't get that good in a month. Plus you're forgetting the whole items on thing. Luck becomes a very important factor in each match.

Its not the same game. Not. The. Same. I don't care how good you were in Melee, because it won't amount to **** here. You're going to have to re-learn the game from the ground up aside from the very basics. Don't think you're going to "own" anyone until you put some actual time into the game, because right now you're on the same level as everyone else.
Not true. I lost my first match. Then I proceeded to have a 5-win streak from my 2nd to 6th matches, playing against people who've played Brawl before. I'm a competitive Melee player. Some skill carried over obviously. Using a character you're good with in Melee and one that is somewhat unchanged since Melee will give you a huge lead over others.

...Ugh.
You've obviously never gotten your *** kicked at a tournament. When someone starts to beat you badly, you start to panic. You start to choke and lose control. Your timing becomes thrown off. You start using the wrong attacks. You start reacting slower. You mess up on simple combos. You become afraid and because of that fear, you don't think clearly. All of these factors come together resulting in the biggest *** beating you've ever had.

Trust me. Play a pro in Melee. You'll piss yourself the first time.

Idfection

Smash Apprentice
Well, I tried making this point when the thread was at it's worst... so I post it again...

Wouldn't using Bowser be the best way to win a 1min match?

If you can koopacide him right off the bat before he hits you, you are one point ahead.

If you can koopacide right after you return from death, you gain an extra point.

If you were good, you could even koopacide right after you both came back from a koopacide.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Playing as bowser may work, unless they twist around. But if they haven't been following the dojo, then they probably won't know what hit them.

If it's starting roster only, I'd suggest MK. Just avoid death for a minute, then grab+upthrow for a KO. He's easy to just pick up and play with, and he can thrive in the Sudden Death mode, where you'll likely find yourself (being new to the game and playing against others who are also new). And items help him KO in general.

DDD is actually a little tough to pick up and play, unless you've really been studying his mechanics. While a chain-throw might be easy, DDD himself isn't entirely welcoming straight off the bat.

If it's not starting roster, I'd suggest Wolf. Spam the f-smash and grab the final smash ball if it comes out.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I just found out that Kirby-ciding with Dedede during a SD match gives Dedede the win.

But I'm probably going to go Ike since he can kill fast. I'm just worried about getting gimped.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Wait, so is the bodyslam escapable? I knew they could direct it somewhat, but I don't know how much.
Yeah, the opponent can direct it, but since it's a command throw (koopa klaw), I don't think it's escapable.

Basically, the lower the damage of the opponent and the lower your damage, the more influence over the direction you both will have. So if you're going for the "quick kill at 20% or so", they could save themselves if they know what's coming. But then again, if you get them right up against the edge then it's pretty much fair game :laugh:

I'm so happy Bowser got this buff; for too long have I been ridiculed in my tiny town for playing Bowser :bee:

And I just found out that the other store where I pre-ordered the game will have a midnight release too... This could get complicated XD

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
How to win? Play Marth, grab every single Smash Ball. Win. Even without Smash Balls, Marth is good enough. Just practice with him in Melee.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@Yuna
It's likely that the starters are your only choice for characters. Otherwise I would have told everyone to use marth.

@Bowsercides
Even Gimpy says that these aren't great, and even the Dojo talks about how the move works. You would make a risk by relying on that too much, cause surely one of them would have read the dojo.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Yuna
It's likely that the starters are your only choice for characters. Otherwise I would have told everyone to use marth.
I don't actually remember who the starters are. Which Top Tier-material characters are among the starters? Lucas is pretty good. I think he's a starter. Crappy FS though.

I guess Zelda is viable as well. Good FS, buffed character (though it's harder to sweetspot Fair and Bair). She's a starter IIRC.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
If everyone used Marth, it won't be called a Smash tournament anymore. It'll be a who's the better Marth tournament. = =
Reasons why Marth would do well for Round 1 of the Gamestop tournament:

1. He is familiar to his melee form, so you don't have to adjust much.

2. His tippers still kill at ridiculously low percent.

3. He can combo very well and scrape kills off with aerials if they get to high percent.

4. His Final Smash is bar none, the best in the game.

I'm not advocating that everyone use Marth all the time, I was just saying that for Round 1 of a game you haven't played, Marth is your best shot.

@Yuna
Yeah, Lucas is a starter. He was one of my top picks cause of his amazing upsmash.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If everyone used Marth, it won't be called a Smash tournament anymore. It'll be a who's the better Marth tournament. = =
And why do you think I'm so opposed to Final Smashes in tournaments? It would devolve into Who's the Better Marth Tournaments.

Also, people are asking for tips to win the Gamespot tournaments, for the best and easiest way to do it. Of course playing as Marth with FS:es on is the best way to win so if you really want to win using every weapon at your disposal, you should play as Marth.

Jericho

Smash Rookie
So this thread is basically full of people that go to tournaments they know they can win, to face opponents they know they can beat, for no other reason than to be a bunch of pricks.

Seriously, if you're not doing it to test your skills but just to bully some kids that don't play as well as you, how pathetic are you?

Either I'm missing a subtle, noble point to be made here, or I still have a lot to learn about the nature of Smash Boards.

Dunas

Smash Rookie
You've obviously never gotten your *** kicked at a tournament. When someone starts to beat you badly, you start to panic. You start to choke and lose control. Your timing becomes thrown off. You start using the wrong attacks. You start reacting slower. You mess up on simple combos. You become afraid and because of that fear, you don't think clearly. All of these factors come together resulting in the biggest *** beating you've ever had.

Trust me. Play a pro in Melee. You'll piss yourself the first time.
Actually, that's only if you let them intimidate you.

I find it hilarious, by the by, that so many people in this thread are saying "INTIMIDATE AND ELIMINATE" the casuals (paraphrased) when the fact is, a launch tournament like this seems designed to promote the game to casuals. I'm no tournament player- not professionally, anyway- but I don't see the need to absolutely crush people at game launch.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I know the prizes for the tournament, and I know it's an actual tournament, meaning you folks are likely to want to win it. But hear me out. Why not give casual players a chance in this one? There's going to be hundreds of other tournaments globally over the lifespan of Brawl, if not thousands. Wouldn't it be great if a group of casual players were the four people in the finals? Imagine if this inspired more casuals to look into your style of play! You could have more worthy opponents, instead of having people who would be demoralized by a crushing loss on their home turf.

That said, I have played Melee as a casual and as a less-than-experienced tournament player. I'd love to see an environment supported by Smashboards at these tournaments where you endorsed your website and play styles- instead of "AAARGH MUST CRUSH THE LITTLE CASUALS UNDER MY TOURNEY BOOT INTIMIDATE AND DOMINATE", try talking to them beforehand, going more easily on them than you would someone of equal skill (they rarely have the same skill level as someone as experienced as a tournament player, after all) and in general working with them instead of railing against them. Remember, they are Brawl's target audience right now- people who haven't played competitively, who want a fun party-style fighting game. You are the ones who Nintendo could easily cross off their list of target audiences simply because you're almost guaranteed to buy the game anyway. Be considerate of their feelings, and help them if you can, or look forward to crushed emotions and a lack of support for Brawl from the Casual field, leading to no Super Smash Brothers 4.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
So this thread is basically full of people that go to tournaments they know they can win, to face opponents they know they can beat, for no other reason than to be a bunch of pricks.

Seriously, if you're not doing it to test your skills but just to bully some kids that don't play as well as you, how pathetic are you?

Either I'm missing a subtle, noble point to be made here, or I still have a lot to learn about the nature of Smash Boards.
I think you're a ***got, but that's just me.

Seriously though, how ****ing ignorant are you? Here's how it'll work out:

Tournament 1: People of all skill levels will be playing. It'll seem unfair to casuals, but the pros will most likely end up clearing the place out.

Tournament 2: The skill gap narrows. Some of the people that won the first tournament by luck will get their ***** kicked.

Tournament 3: The skill gap narrows yet again. Now you have mostly good players fighting against each other.

Tournament 4: Only the best will have made it. These will be some of the best U.S. players at the time.

So why are pros going to these tournaments? To wipe out some noobs and feel accomplished? **** no, don't be a moron. They have to fight them in order to win and advance to the next tournament. And I don't care what you say, but I'll **** up any noob for a Plasma TV, library of Wii games, a Wii, and $5000. No way should I have to feel pity for some ****** that can't play the game.

Actually, that's only if you let them intimidate you.

I find it hilarious, by the by, that so many people in this thread are saying "INTIMIDATE AND ELIMINATE" the casuals (paraphrased) when the fact is, a launch tournament like this seems designed to promote the game to casuals. I'm no tournament player- not professionally, anyway- but I don't see the need to absolutely crush people at game launch.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I know the prizes for the tournament, and I know it's an actual tournament, meaning you folks are likely to want to win it. But hear me out. Why not give casual players a chance in this one? There's going to be hundreds of other tournaments globally over the lifespan of Brawl, if not millions. Wouldn't it be great if a group of casual players were the four people in the finals? Imagine if this inspired more casuals to look into your style of play! You could have more worthy opponents, instead of having people who would be demoralized by a crushing loss on their home turf.
3 points I want to make.

1. You don't know how hard it is not to let someone intimidate you when they're so much better than you. Judging from what you said, you've never been to a real tournament. I used to think the same way as you until I got 3 stocked.

2. Who cares if they're promoting the game to casuals? They're also giving out a massive prize. Why should I have to let someone who isn't as good as me win only to get their *** kicked in the next level of the tournament? Where the **** is the logic in that?

3. You're contradicting yourself. On one hand, you're saying that if the casuals advanced further, they'd look into playing the way pros play. On the other, you're bashing the way pros play. Also, the final tournament is 8 people, not 4.

Seriously guys...use your heads. It's a competition. Some people are in it just to be in it, others are there to win. With a prize that big and a free trip to California, you'd be ****ing stupid to give it up to some undeserving asswipe.

Dunas

Smash Rookie
3 points I want to make.

1. You don't know how hard it is not to let someone intimidate you when they're so much better than you. Judging from what you said, you've never been to a real tournament. I used to think the same way as you until I got 3 stocked.

2. Who cares if they're promoting the game to casuals? They're also giving out a massive prize. Why should I have to let someone who isn't as good as me win only to get their *** kicked in the next level of the tournament? Where the **** is the logic in that?

3. You're contradicting yourself. On one hand, you're saying that if the casuals advanced further, they'd look into playing the way pros play. On the other, you're bashing the way pros play. Also, the final tournament is 8 people, not 4.

Seriously guys...use your heads. It's a competition. Some people are in it just to be in it, others are there to win. With a prize that big and a free trip to California, you'd be ****ing stupid to give it up to some undeserving asswipe.
Temper, temper. Swearing doesn't do anything for your argument- it makes you look like an idiot. Make your points calmly, or don't bother debating.

1. I actually do know how hard that is. I attended a small game in Atlanta one time, mostly a warm-up for some tournament later that month. Prize money was $50, I felt like it was worth trying. Three stock, all characters, items off, no banned stages. I went up against someone who had apparently been practicing for two years in tournament play, and I was immediately being thrown into the corner, so to speak. I almost panicked, but I did the one thing that most of you seem unable to- I remember that I was playing a game. For money, yes, but a game. This wasn't a life-or-death scenario, I didn't desperately need $50. I was playing a game against a vastly superior player, and from that point forward, I just had fun with it. Toying around, letting him beat me, but holding my own (I did get a single KO by making him laugh long enough to hit him with a smash attack.) It's not something I let get to me anymore, and you should try that sometime.

2. I'm not saying let them win. I'm saying give them a chance, instead of completely crushing them. If they win, all the better for them. If you win, hurray for you. But don't act like there won't be other tournaments like this. Don't change the rules (I'm looking at you, GameStop managers on this board) to suit YOUR play style instead of going with something that allows everyone a fair chance. No, not fair based on skill- if it were a perfect tournament, everyone would have zero experience in Brawl- but fair based on the number of players. In a one on one match on the release day of a game, there should be no skill taken into account. It should be whoever plays better given the game's default settings, not whoever has had more time to practice with the selected game mode. If this prize is so important to you, fine, have at it, but give those who haven't played competitively a chance to win, too. Otherwise, it's winning just for the sake of winning, without consideration being given to your opponent. And that's defeating the purpose of Nintendo's games.

3. No, I'm not contradicting myself at all. I'm bashing the way that pros feel the need to treat casual gamers as opponents on their same level of skill. They are not, and they will not be. Sure, you might have fun crushing the hell out of them, but think about this- that person sitting next to you is going to be having a horrible time. That's not the way that Brawl was designed. It was designed, if the evidence is to be believed (ex. Sakurai's explanation of the reasoning behind not having online ladders and rankings) to be a fun game for EVERYONE who played it, not JUST the ones who put in hours upon hours of practice. Reality check: You're crushing someone who might've been in it to have a good time. Let them enjoy the game, too, or you might as well just stop calling it a game and start calling it a sport.

You use your head. Think: If you're there to have fun, or as your first competition, how are you going to feel if you get absolutely slaughtered by someone who rightfully shouldn't ever have been pitted against you? You'll hate the tournament scene, because that ruined your fun right there. Plus, who are you to say who Nintendo would feel was more "deserving" of the prize? Someone who wants to have fun with their game just playing it against other people, or someone whose idea of having fun with it is "CRUSHING ALL OPPOSITION FOR A WIN AAAAARGH"?

Ah, and I should point out: Calling those who don't play competitively "******", and saying they can't "play the game", is why I feel that you're not worth much as a tournament player. Sure, you might be skilled, but if you can't win gracefully against someone who has major balls for going up against you in the first place, then you should re-evaluate why you play the game to begin with.

Finally, I'd like to say that this isn't limited to tournament pros who go after the casuals- people who can roll with it, and laugh at their absolute failure to do any good, will still have a good time. But someone has to take the higher ground on this and show the other side some decency, and it might as well be the tournament pros.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

I believe it's about people wanting to win the prized signed Wii, games, 5000 dollars and whatever else is on the line. Why not try to win it if you can and use every trick available to you.

Dunas

Smash Rookie
I believe it's about people wanting to win the prized signed Wii or whatever the prize was. Why not try to win it if you can and use every trick available to you?

In normal tournaments, you win money. In this one, you win something money can't buy unless one of the winners sells his prize on eBay.
Your point is valid.

I still would like to see the professional community give a little more consideration to the casual gamers, however. The attitude that playing competitively- meaning, doing everything you can to win- against a less skilled player is perfectly justified is ridiculous to me. Yes, beat him or her, by all means, but try not to ruin the game for them! How would you feel if someone entered an open competition and completely ripped a hole in you, playing against you as they would someone with infinitely more skill than you, and basically giving you no chance to enjoy yourself?

Wrong crowd to ask that, I guess, but I'm still posing the question.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And Dunas: Did you just advocate having a tournament where "fair" wasn't that the most skilled player would win? At any tournament, the players that have played the game more and had more time to practice will most probably win. And unless the tournament is for something that hasn't been released anywhere, you can't prevent this from happening.

You also cannot help that if the game isn't out yet, then the people who'd played at the demo stations the most will win.

Also, how the XBOX 360 are they supposed to create a ruleset where the best players don't win?

Your point is valid.

I still would like to see the professional community give a little more consideration to the casual gamers, however. The attitude that playing competitively- meaning, doing everything you can to win- against a less skilled player is perfectly justified is ridiculous to me. Yes, beat him or her, by all means, but try not to ruin the game for them! How would you feel if someone entered an open competition and completely ripped a hole in you, playing against you as they would someone with infinitely more skill than you, and basically giving you no chance to enjoy yourself?

Only an idiot would enter a competition without being very good at the game and then run home and cry when someone who's obviously good at the game beat them, even if it were a curbstomp. I've never cried, whined or even reacted adversely to getting crushed at something.

Because I am smart enough to realize that I'm not perfect. That I'm not the best in the world at anything. That there will always be someone better than me even in games I've practiced.

And, again, only a complete idiot whose stupidity far exceed's George W. Bush's would enter a tournament and vow never to play the game again if they encountered someone obviously much more skilled than them.

When that happens, you have two choices:
* Continue on playing the game the way you do, knowing you won't be able to beat skilled players like the one who just beat you.
* Learn more about the game.

Neither choice is "right" or "wrong". The choice to run away and never play it again, citing "He destroyed me! I can never enjoy this game as a casual gamer ever again!" as a reason is, however, wrong.

Trust me, I wouldn't have any qualms about destroying such a player in a tournament because such a complete douchebags needs to be taught a lesson and just stay away from my tournaments. I'd relish in it. Because stupidity should not be rewarded or given leeway to. Stupidity is to be discouraged and routed out before it can fester and grow.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Your point is valid.

1. Your posts are great. Welcome to the forums

2. True, but that is how most people play in tournaments: to win. I'm all up for friendlies/casuals, but when it's a tourney, I go all out regardless.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are times to have fun when you play, and then there's times when you play seriously. But heck, I have fun either way :laugh:

However, I'm against blatantly humiliating someone who's obviously a beginner, just to show something/prove something to yourself. It's not right IMO. I had that happen to me a lot at the arcades back when I was learning how to play MvC2 (I mean, some guys would just destroy you with a few infinites, and they wouldn't say a word. No handshakes, no "good games", no anything). Above all, I believe in sportsmanship. Keep it respectable, people!

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Temper, temper. Swearing doesn't do anything for your argument- it makes you look like an idiot. Make your points calmly, or don't bother debating.

1. I actually do know how hard that is. I attended a small game in Atlanta one time, mostly a warm-up for some tournament later that month. Prize money was $50, I felt like it was worth trying. Three stock, all characters, items off, no banned stages. I went up against someone who had apparently been practicing for two years in tournament play, and I was immediately being thrown into the corner, so to speak. I almost panicked, but I did the one thing that most of you seem unable to- I remember that I was playing a game. For money, yes, but a game. This wasn't a life-or-death scenario, I didn't desperately need $50. I was playing a game against a vastly superior player, and from that point forward, I just had fun with it. Toying around, letting him beat me, but holding my own (I did get a single KO by making him laugh long enough to hit him with a smash attack.) It's not something I let get to me anymore, and you should try that sometime.

2. I'm not saying let them win. I'm saying give them a chance, instead of completely crushing them. If they win, all the better for them. If you win, hurray for you. But don't act like there won't be other tournaments like this. Don't change the rules (I'm looking at you, GameStop managers on this board) to suit YOUR play style instead of going with something that allows everyone a fair chance. No, not fair based on skill- if it were a perfect tournament, everyone would have zero experience in Brawl- but fair based on the number of players. In a one on one match on the release day of a game, there should be no skill taken into account. It should be whoever plays better given the game's default settings, not whoever has had more time to practice with the selected game mode. If this prize is so important to you, fine, have at it, but give those who haven't played competitively a chance to win, too. Otherwise, it's winning just for the sake of winning, without consideration being given to your opponent. And that's defeating the purpose of Nintendo's games.

3. No, I'm not contradicting myself at all. I'm bashing the way that pros feel the need to treat casual gamers as opponents on their same level of skill. They are not, and they will not be. Sure, you might have fun crushing the hell out of them, but think about this- that person sitting next to you is going to be having a horrible time. That's not the way that Brawl was designed. It was designed, if the evidence is to be believed (ex. Sakurai's explanation of the reasoning behind not having online ladders and rankings) to be a fun game for EVERYONE who played it, not JUST the ones who put in hours upon hours of practice. Reality check: You're crushing someone who might've been in it to have a good time. Let them enjoy the game, too, or you might as well just stop calling it a game and start calling it a sport.

You use your head. Think: If you're there to have fun, or as your first competition, how are you going to feel if you get absolutely slaughtered by someone who rightfully shouldn't ever have been pitted against you? You'll hate the tournament scene, because that ruined your fun right there. Plus, who are you to say who Nintendo would feel was more "deserving" of the prize? Someone who wants to have fun with their game just playing it against other people, or someone whose idea of having fun with it is "CRUSHING ALL OPPOSITION FOR A WIN AAAAARGH"?
Okay, first of all, swearing doesn't make your argument any less valid than somebody being sarcastic and mocking those he's arguing with. Fact.

Second, it is just winning for the sake of winning. Actually, more like winning for the prize. What exactly is wrong with that? If I wanted to relax and play the game without being competitive, I'd pick up my copy, run home, and play with my buddies like I planned on before the tournament was announced. The only reason I'm entering this is to win. That's it. I shouldn't have to go easy on my opponent.

I don't think anyone is going to not enjoy the game for being beaten at their first few matches. I got 2 stocked (out of 3) the first time I played Brawl and all I remember thinking afterwards was, "man, I can't wait to do that again because I'll do better next time." You're assuming casuals are simpletons who will get discouraged, put the game away, and form some sort of grudge against the pros. This simply won't happen if they have even the smallest bit of maturity. If they're a normal person, they'll most likely want to get better.

As for your "who deserves the prize" argument...this tournament is run by gamestop, not Nintendo. The prize belongs to the winner. The winner is someone who has the most skill, can beat his opponents, and ends up being the best in a competition. Therefore, the winner deserves the prize.

Oh, and I know this isn't the only tournament. There will be plenty of others, but when else will I have a chance to win a prize this big?

EDIT: Yuna, I ****ing love you. Great post.

Also, to add to what I said before, I'm not some casual-hating ***. I love meeting new smash players who aren't as good as me and then trying to train them and help them get better if they want. And if I am playing just for fun, I do go easy on them. I know a game gets boring if you can't win, but this is a competition, and competitions are made to be won.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Only an idiot would enter a competition without being very good at the game and then run home and cry when someone who's obviously good at the game beat them, even if it were a curbstomp.
I don't know it does seem a little bit harsh to say that since the majority of people don't get smash until the actual day of release though I do agree the tournament should go to the most skilled.

I think it could also be good for the person to get his arse murdered.
For one you learn your opponents style as well as what you can do or not so I don't believe that casuals entering a tournament is all for not. Its also never bad to get experience on what actual competitive play is like and watching videos can only do so much.

I hope only the starters are available, I dislike Marth and I haven't imported the game so I feel at little loss wondering how the heck is melee experience gonna help me with Brawl?
Mainly since I main as Link and not many characters play like their melee counterparts.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
EDIT: Yuna, I ****ing love you. Great post.
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.

I don't know it does seem a little bit harsh to say that since the majority of people don't get smash until the actual day of release though I do agree the tournament should go to the most skilled.
The idiocy lies not in not being good at the game. Because can anyone truly say they're great all games in existence? The idiocy lies in being good at the game/not having played it much/if at all, playing someone who obviously has or is just a very quick study and/or who's just plain better than you and then crying about it afterwards, possibly even denouncing the game and saying "I will never play it again"... especially in a tournament with big prizes.

It's a tournament, people will do everything to win. And the best players will eventually win. If you're not one of the best, why get upset because someone beat you, even if it were a curbstomp?

The idiots are not the ones who are bad. The idiots are the ones who are bad and get upset when they lose because they either thought they were hot **** despite not bothering to learn the game or because they're just bad at the game and know it, yet get upset when they lose.

Dunas

Smash Rookie
And Dunas: Did you just advocate having a tournament where "fair" wasn't that the most skilled player would win? At any tournament, the players that have played the game more and had more time to practice will most probably win. And unless the tournament is for something that hasn't been released anywhere, you can't prevent this from happening.

You also cannot help that if the game isn't out yet, then the people who'd played at the demo stations the most will win.

Also, how the XBOX 360 are they supposed to create a ruleset where the best players don't win?
You misinterpreted my point. Although, for a ruleset where the best players don't automatically win, you could try the default rules for Super Smash Brothers and its sequels.

Oh wait.

Anyway, I find tournaments where the same people are always winning to be bland, to be honest. I suppose that sounds odd, but if you consider it, it's not so strange. I like sudden upsets, surprising victories, and amazing comebacks more than anything, and SSBM tournaments just haven't offered enough of them. It's usually no surprise when the winner is announced, because the winner is ALWAYS the more skilled person, and everyone knows who that will be. There are no sudden upsets- the rules dictate that the random element of luck must be banished, after all.

Me, I like to see the odds thrown asunder by luck and randomization, and that's really what draws me to Super Smash Brothers in the first place- what other fighting game out there allows for luck and random chance to overcome dedicated skill? None. If I wanted that, I'd watch one of the thousands of Street Fighter tournaments. I like the random element, and I feel that it's not represented enough in the tournament scene, which is why I joined SmashBoards in the first place. I'm not saying "hey, let's remove skill from its dominant spot!" I'm saying that skill should be one of multiple factors, including luck.

And before you declare that to be against the way a competition works, let's look at Poker, where skill and luck go hand in hand in the most elaborate of dances. There are prizes there exceeding a million dollars in cash. Yet, by definition, the most skilled, experienced player is not always going to be the winner. Why? Because of luck. Because of chance. I can't take the so-called "tourney***" scene seriously until it acknowledges that skill is not the end-all be-all for deciding a winner.

Only an idiot would enter a competition without being very good at the game and then run home and cry when someone who's obviously good at the game beat them, even if it were a curbstomp. I've never cried, whined or even reacted adversely to getting crushed at something.
Good for you. However, need I remind you that Nintendo is catering to children and seniors along with the powergaming crowd? Don't be naive; you're not the only kind of person interested in Smash tournaments, and it's demoralizing and humiliating to some to get thoroughly trashed like that. It's not a way to be introduced to a community, it's a brick freaking wall.

Because I am smart enough to realize that I'm not perfect. That I'm not the best in the world at anything. That there will always be someone better than me even in games I've practiced.
Something that everyone here acknowledges, I'm sure, is that no one is the best of the best- there's always a better player.

And, again, only a complete idiot whose stupidity far exceed's George W. Bush's would enter a tournament and vow never to play the game again if they encountered someone obviously much more skilled than them.
Not sure the bolded segment was really necessary, but okay, I'll bite. There are people who will do this- and not only with Smash. The best way to get to know a community is to experience it first-hand, and if you get your lack of skill thrown into your face, well, you're likely to be a little wary of that community. Brawl offers online play, and in fact, that's likely to be a major factor in its sales as compared to Melee. It'd be crushing if you couldn't even play the game because your opponent was absolutely, utterly destroying you. Don't intimidate your opponent if they're a casual, but don't hesitate to defeat them. Let them have fun at the expense of a longer match. It's better for the community as a whole. That said, I doubt that anyone would be stopped from buying the game, and your point stands in that regard.

When that happens, you have two choices:
* Continue on playing the game the way you do, knowing you won't be able to beat skilled players like the one who just beat you.
* Learn more about the game.

Neither choice is "right" or "wrong". The choice to run away and never play it again, citing "He destroyed me! I can never enjoy this game as a casual gamer ever again!" as a reason is, however, wrong.
I'm not touching this one, personally, because I already admitted your point was valid as a counter-argument to what I said.

Trust me, I wouldn't have any qualms about destroying such a player in a tournament because such a complete douchebags needs to be taught a lesson and just stay away from my tournaments. I'd relish in it. Because stupidity should not be rewarded or given leeway to. Stupidity is to be discouraged and routed out before it can fester and grow.
What stood out here for me was "my tournaments". They are not "your tournaments". An open tournament like this is obviously not designed to be "your" tournament. It's open to everyone, including people like that, and I see no reason why sportsmanship can't play a part in that. I, obviously, am not you, and have differing views as to what sportsmanship is, but I find it entirely unlikable that you feel that "destroying" people in a game is necessary at all. Win against them, decisively. Show them you're not to be trifled with. But don't make it where they can't have fun, or it's no longer a game, it's a pissing contest.

Dunas

Smash Rookie
Also, to add to what I said before, I'm not some casual-hating ***. I love meeting new smash players who aren't as good as me and then trying to train them and help them get better if they want. And if I am playing just for fun, I do go easy on them. I know a game gets boring if you can't win, but this is a competition, and competitions are made to be won.
I concede that this argument is wholly inappropriate, then. My attitude in general was more geared toward the kind of people that I had observed in other occasions, whose outlook in general on casual players was to call them degrading names ("scrub" comes to mind) and to mock them for not using the same rules set, or to feel that they were not worthy of enjoying the game.

I believe I owe you an apology, as I was taking your points from an entirely different standpoint than the one they were intended for. That said, you're right- the prizes in this tournament are big ones. I just dislike the talk of crushing the people in the first round. Win against them, show off your skill, fine. But don't go full-on with them unless it's necessary. Let them enjoy the event too.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.

The idiocy lies not in not being good at the game. Because can anyone truly say they're great all games in existence? The idiocy lies in being good at the game/not having played it much/if at all, playing someone who obviously has or is just a very quick study and/or who's just plain better than you and then crying about it afterwards, possibly even denouncing the game and saying "I will never play it again"... especially in a tournament with big prizes.

It's a tournament, people will do everything to win. And the best players will eventually win. If you're not one of the best, why get upset because someone beat you, even if it were a curbstomp?

The idiots are not the ones who are bad. The idiots are the ones who are bad and get upset when they lose because they either thought they were hot **** despite not bothering to learn the game or because they're just bad at the game and know it, yet get upset when they lose.

Ahh okay I wasn't toos ure what you had meant earlier.
Great topic about air tripping.
I think its possibly caused by tripping on the ground before hand near the edge. Seems like it.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
What stood out here for me was "my tournaments". They are not "your tournaments". An open tournament like this is obviously not designed to be "your" tournament. It's open to everyone, including people like that, and I see no reason why sportsmanship can't play a part in that. I, obviously, am not you, and have differing views as to what sportsmanship is, but I find it entirely unlikable that you feel that "destroying" people in a game is necessary at all. Win against them, decisively. Show them you're not to be trifled with. But don't make it where they can't have fun, or it's no longer a game, it's a pissing contest.
I think he really was referring to the tournaments he runs, aka "his tourneys". Yuna lives in Sweden, so it's not like he can go to the gamestop tourneys >_>

travis.luckiest

Smash Apprentice
this whole "let us casuals have a tournament" has got to stop
i thought the point of tournaments was to refine the players to the best two in the finals ..then reward the winner
who wants to see the finals between two ppl that don't understand much about the game?
that would make the smash scene look bad as a whole ..and make the game look clumsy and unappealing
..besides ..do you really want to be known as the best of the worst?
the people who are not as good at the game should be weeded out in the first round ..which is what will happen
i don't even understand why you'd join swf without being interested in competitive play
i definitely would not join a forum unless i was interested in playing that game in the highest level
i almost think you guys don't want to be good at the game ..but at the same time have nothing better to do
it's like being interested in racing cars ..buying an amazing speed-beast of a machine ..then driving slow only through your suburban neighborhood under the speed limit

Top Bottom