• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sKam11

Smash Rookie
NNID
2GIGABYTES
Im asking both of these questions in one thread because I'm to lazy to do them separately. How do you put pressure on someone? What I mean is like whenever I play against someone good, they dont really let me do things. They're constantly attacking me and I cant really get of my one attacks. Also, how can I read? When somebody repeats a habit, it really annoys me but I don't know how to punish it. Thanks for helping.

DerpyDayha

Smash Cadet
So I'm sure the last time I was on here, I was making progress on my melee Marth. Now I have a whole different problem. I can't win. I've been playing sm4sh since the 3ds version came out (and still don't have a wii u) and I've been constantly studying and practicing.

I often will lose to noobs on for glory, I can't make my combos work, my neutral game is beat out by anyone that's actually any good without much effort even though I've been working on my neutral forever! I try to make reads too. I'll be honest, I've made a few, but it's rare for me to get anything better than a small, insignificant read. Of course, this is very frustrating.

One thing that could be a contributing factor to my lack of success is my difficulty sticking with one character. I've tried maining all sorts of characters. I literally have 16 characters that I have put as a main on smash ladder. I'm slowly leaning towards just sheik and maybe Mario but I still can't make it anywhere with any of them because I simply can't win.

Can someone give me any tips to take me beyond just knowledge and actually having success?

Thanks

Doval

Smash Lord
Save your replays and watch them. You're losing because you're making mistakes, and it'll be a lot clearer what they are when you can watch and rewatch the fight as a passive observer.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
^

And also try using Smash Addler. Usually they have better fighters, than on For Glory.

DerpyDayha

Smash Cadet
Save your replays and watch them. You're losing because you're making mistakes, and it'll be a lot clearer what they are when you can watch and rewatch the fight as a passive observer.
Alright I'll try that. The thing is, I don't think I'm learning during a match fast enough.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Don't put too much stock into WiFi. If you practice offline and then play online, things like timing and punishes will not carry over.

I would definitely try to find any way to play offline if you don't already. If you don't have a local community, see if you can start one.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Many may say online is not good, but what it is good for is being a good indicator of your decision making. Look at the decisions you are making and ask yourself if there was something better (and smarter) you could have done. This applies to many things like your current neutral, punish, offense, option coverage, etc.

No joke though, ask yourself, why did you just get hit? Because you weren't blocking? Because you felt like doing a random fsmash when its easily blocked and punished? Because you threw a projectile at point black range? If you are unable to answer this (many newbies don't know what they are doing wrong and that's okay) you definitely need someone to watch your play and tell you about it. Just another reason to use the online options we have like Anther's ladder.

Also, Melee is different from Sm4sh. They play extremely differently even if you play the same characters, so don't get that confused.

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
I've been having noticeable issues against players I feel like I shouldn't have issues with (i.e. spammers, people who hold smash moves, etc.). Just now, in two FG matches against the same guy, I struggled to win against a Diddy that just side smashed, and a Ryu that only used B moves. Do I just need to work on my patience/punishes, or is there some other tip that someone can give me against people who play sort of spammy playstyles. Thanks!

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
"Simply" learn from your mistakes and adapt to your opponent's playstyle. Also, train a lot to get a "true" main! About combos; maybe you're not running in enough time to guarantee those. About the reads, relax your head and see what your opponent is going to do. After it, it's up to you for the "answer". Counter? Throw a Projectile? Shield? Air-Dodge? The options are in big quantity...
I hope you can do it! Don't get sad by losing a lot... go and try your best! I know how that is, and it sucks. We all pass through a Losing Streak, small or big.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I've been having noticeable issues against players I feel like I shouldn't have issues with (i.e. spammers, people who hold smash moves, etc.). Just now, in two FG matches against the same guy, I struggled to win against a Diddy that just side smashed, and a Ryu that only used B moves. Do I just need to work on my patience/punishes, or is there some other tip that someone can give me against people who play sort of spammy playstyles. Thanks!
simply practicing your character to the point that the character becomes YOU will help erase the problem (just fight a lvl 3 CPU all day). you will know how to respond because you will know your options better. get better with your movement with this

Last edited:

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
simply practicing your character to the point that the character becomes YOU will help erase the problem (just fight a lvl 3 CPU all day). you will know how to respond because you will know your options better. get better with your movement with this
That might do it. I've just started playing w/ Roy, and I must admit, I'm still learning what to do when. Maybe I need to play some games as Ness (who I know much better) to really isolate whether or not this is simply a character knowledge problem. Thanks a bunch!

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
@ TobiasXK TobiasXK I owe u man for saving me from going thru the hell of adjusting to that control scheme. U made me realize I wasn't being very practical, my love for wavedashing had gotten to me so I wanted to play this game like I played melee but in reality wavedashing is 10x better than perfect pivots so I'm not even gonna bother with it.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
@ TobiasXK TobiasXK I owe u man for saving me from going thru the hell of adjusting to that control scheme. U made me realize I wasn't being very practical, my love for wavedashing had gotten to me so I wanted to play this game like I played melee but in reality wavedashing is 10x better than perfect pivots so I'm not even gonna bother with it.
hey loving wavedashing is something i can respect. that was pretty much how i got my start in the Smash scene =]

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
there's still use with PP, it's just nobody is skilled enough to apply it in fights

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
That might do it. I've just started playing w/ Roy, and I must admit, I'm still learning what to do when. Maybe I need to play some games as Ness (who I know much better) to really isolate whether or not this is simply a character knowledge problem. Thanks a bunch!
that will do it. but you got to make sure you know who your main character is too.

EDIT: double post my fault

Last edited:

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
How do you handle opponents who never overcommit?

Does anyone have any good ways to practice punishing rolls? No one will help me practice it and the lag in FG matches messes up the timing and doesn't carry over to LAN as well.

TheMarthRunner

Smash Cadet
NNID
reallemon
Any advice or doesn anyone know of any good tutorials of how to read opponents? Like good set ups to see how they react or just how to read them in general? How to improve?

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
How do you handle opponents who never overcommit?

Does anyone have any good ways to practice punishing rolls? No one will help me practice it and the lag in FG matches messes up the timing and doesn't carry over to LAN as well.
Sometimes I will play a sort of footsies and poke game when opponents don't make mistakes. Basically look for ways to make them make those mistakes. As an example, I'll throw out some long range quick pokes like f-tilt as Falcon and maybe cover myself with a single jab because it is quick and they may drop their shield after the tilt. Or maybe I'll try to get on the offensive and get behind their shield with a bair and cover that with an f-tilt. Eventually if they catch onto this you can turn them into grabs. You can be aggressive too, just try to find ways of keeping yourself as safe while finding these sort of traps that I mentioned.

Punishing rolls? Well for the moment you can punish roll away with something simple like a dash attack or grab if you want. With roll behinds you can try to stop your movement and turn around with something that has a lot of active frames or even a simple jab combo. Try to do something that easier to land and if you are afraid also make sure it is safe. As much as I'd love to knee people who roll behind me, I am okay with bair or turn around jab combo. Good luck!

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Sometimes I will play a sort of footsies and poke game when opponents don't make mistakes. Basically look for ways to make them make those mistakes. As an example, I'll throw out some long range quick pokes like f-tilt as Falcon and maybe cover myself with a single jab because it is quick and they may drop their shield after the tilt. Or maybe I'll try to get on the offensive and get behind their shield with a bair and cover that with an f-tilt. Eventually if they catch onto this you can turn them into grabs. You can be aggressive too, just try to find ways of keeping yourself as safe while finding these sort of traps that I mentioned.

Punishing rolls? Well for the moment you can punish roll away with something simple like a dash attack or grab if you want. With roll behinds you can try to stop your movement and turn around with something that has a lot of active frames or even a simple jab combo. Try to do something that easier to land and if you are afraid also make sure it is safe. As much as I'd love to knee people who roll behind me, I am okay with bair or turn around jab combo. Good luck!
Thanks! I tend to overcommit to actions when my opponent refuses to do anything but jump around so I definitely need to work on that. For rolls, I know how to punish them already, I just meant are there any good ways of practicing it without looking around on FG?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What's the easiest way to catch item projectiles like :4megaman:'s Metal Blades, :4pacman:'s bonus fruit, :4tlink:'s bombs, and others?

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
First off 2 questions.

1st. How do you counter Spot dodging. I have not been able to find a way to counter. It seems like there is absolutely no downside to using it. If i try to grab they spot dodge then i get hit. If i try to hit they spot dodge then im hit.
2nd. How counter shields. I'm having issues when im playing chars like Roy that have no way to approach against chars like Ness and D3 that do nothing but grab. I've tried dash grabbing and empty jumps but i cannot get anywhere

TheMarthRunner

Smash Cadet
NNID
reallemon
First off 2 questions.

1st. How do you counter Spot dodging. I have not been able to find a way to counter. It seems like there is absolutely no downside to using it. If i try to grab they spot dodge then i get hit. If i try to hit they spot dodge then im hit.
2nd. How counter shields. I'm having issues when im playing chars like Roy that have no way to approach against chars like Ness and D3 that do nothing but grab. I've tried dash grabbing and empty jumps but i cannot get anywhere
The only way I have found to counter spotdodging is reading the dodge and then punnishing accordingly. IMO there is little downside to it when used frugally, but if you spam it and make it a habit, it is easily punished

TheMasonOrder

Banned via Warnings
So I have trouble going off stage and landing a few aerials because I have a little fear I might not recover back on to the stage. So any tips on how I can improve my off stage aerial game? Mains and secondaries are in my sig(but am thinking of retiring Little Mac for competitive play.).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Go off stage more. A good way to start is if you have the stock lead in a match, just start taking more risks. If you die, then you're at the same point as your opponent. As you work on this, your confidence for going off the stage will improve. Of course, you'll want to be aware of what your character can actually do off the stage so it's equally important to not be overzealous and try to do things that will result in an SD 9/10 of the time. With practice, you'll get down what's safe and what's not safe so you'll have a good idea of what's actually reliable and what's best saved as a last resort.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, Roy and Little Mac are kinda terrible for offstage play so I can see why you'd be bad at it.

One thing you could try is playing as a different character for a bit to get into the mindset. Characters like :4pit::4dedede::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4metaknight::4rob:&:4robinm: have good aerials for offstage play and have great recoveries for making it back.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Im new to understanding frame data. My friend tried to explain it to me and im still a little confused. This is the doc he gave me dont know if its the current one https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit?pli=1#gid=1716482302
What does each column represent and what information should i be looking at and how to use it? An example would be greatly aporeciated.

Also where i can I see frames for jump canceling, shield drop, putting up shield,etc.?

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I used to be very affraid to attack off stage for the same reason, I suggest you could start by trying out characters with safer recoveries like Kirby or Jiggly, or if you don't like any then you can just play against a CPU with your main and try many different things that you can then try out on human players. If you lose, at least you'll learn something.

I lost my fear by playing jigglypuff (and now I play with her a lot), and started to play off stage with Peach, Marth, Lucas, DHD and Villager before I noticed

sKam11

Smash Rookie
NNID
2GIGABYTES
Hi, I'm looking to get competitive and would like to improve. it would be great if someone can tell me some tips to improve. Thanks

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I would maybe watch some guides on your main Roy on YouTube or look at a guide of Roy here on SmashBoards. Hope that helps. Roy's our boy!

busken

Smash Ace
My greatest advice to you is this: Think about every input you do, and why you do it.

Aside from that if you go to www.smashhub.com they have a complete guide on improvement.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Long as you can make it back, you should be encouraged to pressure your foe. Even a crafty Mac can do it. Though, no one I've seen has made use of his wall jump nor his Down Air Meteor. Ike isn't very good for this scenario, but with his reach in attacks, you can toss out at least one aerial as him. It's often enough to mess them up.

Anyway, take some time to experiment the offstage game with your chars. See how far they can reach and what's best for pressure and for saving yourself. Just don't get too greedy, the style / disrespect ain't worth it... at least in For Glory, I guess.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Im new to understanding frame data. My friend tried to explain it to me and im still a little confused. This is the doc he gave me dont know if its the current one https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit?pli=1#gid=1716482302
What does each column represent and what information should i be looking at and how to use it? An example would be greatly aporeciated.

Also where i can I see frames for jump canceling, shield drop, putting up shield,etc.?
That's definitely not a full frame data chart (doesn't include all characters) and I'm not really sure how reliable some of the data is (it could be totally reliable or slightly off). You're probably better off looking at this chart or this data compilation, which are actually from game dumps. 1.0.8 updates won't show because it's old but most stuff is the same outside of things noted in the patch notes thread. Anyways, whenever it says what frame a move comes out on, that's out of 60 frames in a second. So, a move that comes out on frame 10 comes out on 1/6 of a second. IASA means "interruptable as soon as" which is basically the first frame you can act after the move completes. Total frames is how long the move takes to complete. Never really seen the term block-freeze but I'm assuming it means hitlag, which is basically the lag/"freeze frames" characters experience when an attack connects. Blockstun is how many frames of shield stun the move has, so how many frames before you can perform an action while in shield. Advantage (drop) is your frame advantage or disadvantage if your opponent drops shield to attempt a punish, i.e. how many frames they have to punish the move if they drop shield. Advantage (oos) is your frame advantage or disadvantage if your opponent performs an OOS option.

You should probably know the frame data for your character or at least have a decent grasp on it. The frame speed of the move is pretty important to know so that you know your fastest options and how different options stack up against different moves. The other parts depend on the move; it's typically more important to have a general idea of the end lag of moves, not necessarily how many frames that end lag is. You should know if a move has a ton of end lag and thus is punishable or has little end lag and isn't very punishable.

I don't really know where to find frame data for jump cancelling, but shield comes out on frame 1. There's 7 frames of lag if you want to drop shield and perform an action that can't be done directly OOS. Options that can be done OOS include jump (includes jump cancels, so you can do jc usmash and jc up b), roll, spot dodge, and shield grab.

Moosh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moosh_da_moosh
3DS FC
3995-6503-8179
hey everyone. i wanted to share a video my crew and i made which demonstrates some simple tactics that help improve your meta game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvcSRhRUwiY

the video teaches about stalling and empty hops and goes into more detail explaining what they are and how they can be used. i understand some people may already do what this video teaches however, some of you that do it may never really thought about it before so it helps break down what's actually happening. To those that want to step their game up, this video is intended to help you out by teaching you something simple. we intend to make more videos that demonstrate tactics and how they are applied so that way we help the community get better and better.

Sazh Katzroy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-9710-9291
Hey guys, I'm trying really hard to into the competitive scene, and it's frustrating for me to say the least. I have a few friends that play along with me, most them are actually pretty good. But there is one that is just the definition of spam. And I know that's easily dealt with, but lately been being destroyed by him. Even for glory I have issues reading rolls, getting over projectile walls, and generally not avoiding people when they're charging smashes. Are there any exercises for movement and reaction time anyone can tell me about? I play on ds and it seems easier when I play with my friends at school at the video game club.

Last edited:

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm trying really hard to into the competitive scene, and it's frustrating for me to say the least. I have a few friends that play along with me, most them are actually pretty good. But there is one that is just the definition of spam. And I know that's easily dealt with, but lately been being destroyed by him. Even for glory I have issues reading rolls, getting over projectile walls, and generally not avoiding people when they're charging smashes. Are there any exercises for movement and reaction time anyone can tell me about? I play on ds and it seems easier when I play with my friends at school at the video game club.
On FG there is input lag so you might want to put that into consideration. All spam is pretty easy to deal with, your problem is probably that you are not spacing well and keeping up pressure, and you are probably running at your opponent. That's how people most of the time get destroyed.

Roiju

Smash Rookie
NNID
xRoiju
What are some good characters to compliment a Captain Falcon in team doubles?

Alternatively, what are some good characters to compliment a Kirby in team doubles?

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
:4falcon:: anything that is good in double, :4darkpit::4diddy::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4metaknight::4megaman::4miibrawl::4ness::4pikachu::4sheik::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4wiifitm::4zelda::4zss: all of this work wonder
:4kirby:: you want to copy something useful, so:4shulk::4sheik::4wiifit::4wario::4villager::4metaknight::4megaman::4marth: for exemple

Sazh Katzroy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-9710-9291
On FG there is input lag so you might want to put that into consideration. All spam is pretty easy to deal with, your problem is probably that you are not spacing well and keeping up pressure, and you are probably running at your opponent. That's how people most of the time get destroyed.
I'm definitely running at him. But he never approaches, just fireball, grab, up smash, down smash. I play MK, so I don't have a projectile to make him want to approach. And when I do get close, grabs turn into rolls(must be the input lag, i guess.). I have only beaten on Battlefield and Arena. But those have been close lately. I used be good my neutral game, but lately, I've been sluggish and it's frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom