• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game and Watch Q&A Thread

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I know technically this board doesn't even exist, but I'd like to work on my Game and Watch.

Two things in particular: Getting back from the ledge. GaW has a ****ty ledge attack and fair is a bit easy to shieldgrab depending on when you do it.
What are good ways to get back from the ledge to the stage?

Next thing, after D-tilt a space animal, low %. They didn't tech. How do I tech chase the best? What moves are good to follow him with? Do I use light shield so his get-up attack doesn't hit? Just general tech chasing.

j00t

Smash Champion
I know technically this board doesn't even exist, but I'd like to work on my Game and Watch.

Two things in particular: Getting back from the ledge. GaW has a ****ty ledge attack and fair is a bit easy to shieldgrab depending on when you do it.

Next thing, after D-tilt a space animal, low %. They didn't tech. How do I tech chase the best? What moves are good to follow him with? Do I use light shield so his get-up attack doesn't hit? Just general tech chasing.
Getting off the ledge... game and watch's jump from ledge is actually pretty decent. On Battlefield, Yoshi's, and maybe Dream land, if you jump from the ledge you'll land perfectly on the platform, allowing you to dash in extremely quickly. Wavedashing on to the ledge is a good option too. Game and Watch's ledge options are extremely limited though.

If you dtilt at low percent and he sticks to the ground, you can just dtilt again

oliman

Smash Journeyman

as far as getting back from the ledge, ive found (against the scrubs i play against) that if theyre close to the ledge, you should dair cuz the second hit makes it pretty safe. if theyre farther away but still within range, you should do a delayed fair.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)

Apparently, on one of the other threads, there's talk of a NO LAG ledgehop that QERB says is pretty significant. Not sure what this is, but it must be good for recovering if it's getting so much attention. Won't light shield give you too much shield knockback to effectively shield grab him? Although it's still bad, I feel like a fresh regular shield should still protect G&W from a get-up attack.

Getting off the ledge... game and watch's jump from ledge is actually pretty decent. On Battlefield, Yoshi's, and maybe Dream land, if you jump from the ledge you'll land perfectly on the platform, allowing you to dash in extremely quickly. Wavedashing on to the ledge is a good option too. Game and Watch's ledge options are extremely limited though.

If you dtilt at low percent and he sticks to the ground, you can just dtilt again
Which kind of ledge jump are you talking about? Jumping straight from the ledge or DJIng after letting go? I always find the terms "ledgejump" and "edgehop" to be extremely confusing because of that. Sure, if the spacee doesn't tech, you can always dtilt again, but you could also jab reset him into a grab, and we all know grabs lead into a bunch of delicious things on fastfallers w/ G&W.

as far as getting back from the ledge, ive found (against the scrubs i play against) that if theyre close to the ledge, you should dair cuz the second hit makes it pretty safe. if theyre farther away but still within range, you should do a delayed fair.
Also, according to Qerb, if they're right on top of you, you can come back w/ uair to cover yourself.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
hmm. do you have any idea what the mechanism for this is? I was under the impression that there aren't separate animations for l-cancels, it's just the landing animation played at twice the speed. are there other moves that are aren't l-cancellable (or have windows where you can't)?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Other moves? Not that I'm aware of. Just G&W's bair and nair. As for the mechanism, well, I'm not sure about that either. L-cancelling is a command to be input during a specific window of time during an aerial and was deliberately placed in the game by the programmers (it was also present in Smash 64). For there to be only 2 moves in the game where this form of cancelling isn't possible may hint that the creators weren't really paying too much attention to G&W at the time.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Other moves? Not that I'm aware of. Just G&W's bair and nair. As for the mechanism, well, I'm not sure about that either. L-cancelling is a command to be input during a specific window of time during an aerial and was deliberately placed in the game by the programmers (it was also present in Smash 64). For there to be only 2 moves in the game where this form of cancelling isn't possible may hint that the creators weren't really paying too much attention to G&W at the time.
U-air also can't be cancelled. I think it might be because the animation for the turtle, parachute and the blow thing are all individually made instead of being part of the character's animation, and thus you need to wait until the animation is done.

donny!

Smash Cadet
Headed to my first tourney on saturday as a GnW main :D

any advice for a first time competive gaming game and watch?!
also, what stages should i counter pick?

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Headed to my first tourney on saturday as a GnW main :D

any advice for a first time competive gaming game and watch?!
also, what stages should i counter pick?
you'll probably do well cause nobody knows how to play agaist G&W on their first time

I would probably CP FoD even though it's my least favourite stage, cause all his attacks hit through platforms

Worst stages are YS, PS, FD depending on who you're playing against

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
Ys seems like a good ban you die beyond to fast and it cuts your recovery more than most. But the platforms would be idea for platforming and juggles for the small stage. Depends on taste really it does take away more based on the match-up but wouldn't be bad to take puff there or campy foxes.

Banning their best stage would likly be your best bet for g&w.

Don't count on them not knowing the match-up it would be like fighting matches hoping they suck not something i'd want to rely on.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
yeah don't rely on nobody knowing how to play against G&W, I'm just predicting the outcome

taking floaties to YS might work, but def not against people with killing potential

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I think Dreamland is an even better level than FoD.

Dreamland is arguably my favourite G&W level and I can't understand how people not agree.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I think Dreamland is an even better level than FoD.

Dreamland is arguably my favourite G&W level and I can't understand how people not agree.
Dreamland might be my second choice cause of survivability, but I wouldn't choose it over FoD cause your huge hitboxes don't take up nearly as much space on the stage

other people have more space to retreat, camp etc

and bigger stage + more space = more approaching = getting punished for laggy aerials

DualCats

Smash Ace
I prefer FoD as well. edge-cancelled aerial based shield pressure is the ****.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
Hey If I palatform cancel my bair/dair do I still get that landing hit? I just feel dair with the landing hits would cover you from below better.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well, you could always ledge-cancel bair/dair into another one and get those "landing hits". Yo, 2012 isn't upon us yet! Don't forget those other CPs......even though they'll be obsolete after Apex. Anyway, I think Kongo Jungle is also pretty good for G&W. Huge blastzones and the ability to rise thru the bottom of the stage really helps. In fact, rather than recover using the ledge, as a mixup, you can continue further under the stage and upB onto those moving platforms for added safety since upB's lag is rather low. Because of this, semi-safe sharking is possible. Also, while recovering high, using the top side platforms is always an option, even when you're almost on the lower main stage, thanks to the height of the upB. This allows for fake-outs, thus extending G&W's longevity.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Hey If I palatform cancel my bair/dair do I still get that landing hit? I just feel dair with the landing hits would cover you from below better.
Yep. I do this with dairs on FoD and YS all the ****ing time and it's awesome.

Yo, 2012 isn't upon us yet! Don't forget those other CPs......even though they'll be obsolete after Apex. Anyway, I think Kongo Jungle is also pretty good for G&W. Huge blastzones and the ability to rise thru the bottom of the stage really helps. In fact, rather than recover using the ledge, as a mixup, you can continue further under the stage and upB onto those moving platforms for added safety since upB's lag is rather low. Because of this, semi-safe sharking is possible. Also, while recovering high, using the top side platforms is always an option, even when you're almost on the lower main stage, thanks to the height of the upB. This allows for fake-outs, thus extending G&W's longevity.
This is a cool idea. I never CP here because I'm so comfortable on FoD but I think I might try this.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
A few days ago, I shielded two consecutive attacks. It was frightening.
U sir r a lier. Trying to have me believe g&w can shield two attacks in a row

edit: kinda realized that g%w's dtilt is a combo of marth's and roy's but with more potential knockback. in fact he is really just a 2d fire emblem character and becoming 2d makes your moves last forever but gets rid of your weight and shield

:phone:

QERB

Banned via Warnings
lol dam my b i didnt see this, couldn't make FC anyways, couldn't get there. I def woulda done a double g&w team it's too fun. But good stuff to you, you placed pretty well :)

j00t

Smash Champion
There's a better possibility for me going now. I might be reassigned to a different date.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I'm a brawl player who mains GW. I'm getting into Melee again and I'm fixated on maining Gdubs but playing him in Melee...it's a different experience. Any tips to ease the transition?

odinNJ

Smash Lord
U sir r a lier. Trying to have me believe g&w can shield two attacks in a row

edit: kinda realized that g%w's dtilt is a combo of marth's and roy's but with more potential knockback. in fact he is really just a 2d fire emblem character and becoming 2d makes your moves last forever but gets rid of your weight and shield

:phone:
Umm since when has Roy had a shield. Also gaw is definatly the third fire emblem character

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I'm a brawl player who mains GW. I'm getting into Melee again and I'm fixated on maining Gdubs but playing him in Melee...it's a different experience. Any tips to ease the transition?
You, sir, are entering a world of hurt. You just went from a game where G&W can shield and survive powerful hits and all that good stuff and is generally an overall good character to a game where he can do none of those things and is overall a bad character. This is practically the definition of going back in time, and that, my good man, is what you have done. You have entered a reverse Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Are you truly ready to reap the consequences of your actions? If so, here are some tips to "ease your transition." :skull:
  1. Do not spam bair like you would in Brawl.
  2. Do not spam nair like you would in Brawl.
  3. Do not shield as often as you would in Brawl.
  4. Do not attempt to recover as you would in Brawl. That recovery simply does not exist.
  5. Do not attempt to "bucket break" as you would in Brawl. Bucket breaking still exists, but it will only get you killed.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
roy has a better shield than marth

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
You, sir, are entering a world of hurt. You just went from a game where G&W can shield and survive powerful hits and all that good stuff and is generally an overall good character to a game where he can do none of those things and is overall a bad character. This is practically the definition of going back in time, and that, my good man, is what you have done. You have entered a reverse Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Are you truly ready to reap the consequences of your actions? If so, here are some tips to "ease your transition." :skull:
  1. Do not spam bair like you would in Brawl.
  2. Do not spam nair like you would in Brawl.
  3. Do not shield as often as you would in Brawl.
  4. Do not attempt to recover as you would in Brawl. That recovery simply does not exist.
  5. Do not attempt to "bucket break" as you would in Brawl. Bucket breaking still exists, but it will only get you killed.
I accept the consequences for my actions and I'm ready to progress backwards. I am one who does not give up so easily.

I'm going to have to break my habit of shielding and recovering but I got the first one covered. I'm glad I was never one to spam bair.

Top Bottom