• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game and Watch Q&A Thread

QERB

Banned via Warnings
Against puff it's not a bad idea to approach her, cuz she can't do much out of her shield (other than rest of course). So you can shield pressure her with neutral-A (bugspray) to d-tilts and f-airs. Don't shield pressure with the u-tilt too much cuz she can rest out of shield during it's postlag, (though it does work really well if you're expecting a b-air out of shield from puff). Also, I personally like going for the d-thow to judgement when she's at low %s. I think it's better to try and go for it instead of landing just one n-air. Even if you get an 8 it's another potential combo, and a 6 will do fine also. I think it's an efficient risk to take.

u-tilt works very well against approaching puffs cuz it has so much priority. Be careful for HER u-tilt cuz whenever puff u-tilts g&w it's pretty much an automatic rest.

As far as recovering, i usually save my second jump, and spam f-airs out to keep puff away until i get into up-b'ing range. if you KNOW you can intercept her in the air with the up-b without getting punished, do it. otherwise sweetspot the edge.

for edge-guarding puff, assuming you just hit her UP and AWAY from the edge, I like to first throw sausages (which sometimes make puff recover lower). If she does recover under the sausages, i usually try to land a d-air since it's rips through puff's b-air (or any other puff aerial for that matter) from above. If you catch her recovering from below with a rising pound, try and punish her with an n-air/f-air or at LEAST a d-air during it's postlag.

also about g&w's d-air...as far as i know, if you fastfall it, it can't be shield grabbed between d-airs two hits. if you don't fastfall it, i'm pretty sure most chars can shield grab you right after d-airs first hit if you're in grabbing range, which is usually the case, unless you're fighting zelda lol.
It's always nice that alot of players don't even know that the d-air even has a second hit (:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i got a couple vids up from the Princeton Intercollegiate tournament last week, grand finals of doubles and losers quarters are up for me so far, i'll post more as they come if you guys wanna check em out:

Losers Quarters
Qerb (G&W) vs. Goof (Falco)
Qerb (G&W) vs. Goof (Ganon)

Doubles Grand Finals
Mr. F (Puff) & Qerb (G&W) vs. Niko (Marth) & Tian (Falcon)

Edit: Hopefully my set with Scar was recorded it was really close, waiting on ppl to upload them though

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
Do any of you implement PC edgehogging into your gameplay with Mr. Game an Watch?

Or "reset" your hammer after getting 9s?

just curious....

QERB

Banned via Warnings
hm i usually just wd back onto the edge to edgehog.

heh i usually reset my hammer after getting 9's i forgot to during my match against goof at the tourney cuz of all the HYPE haha, got flustered (:

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I don't hammer at all, so, there's that. I don't really think the PC edge hog is that useful with Game and Watch.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
yea gw's walk is a little too slow to make the pc edgehog useful i think. his wd is good enough for me.

and for reseting the hammers i realize that i won't go overboard in trying to reset them if i kill them off the side. cuz when you kill them off the side they get come back faster, giving you less time to get into a good position if you try to reset your hammer. but if they die off the top, why not reset it lol

QERB

Banned via Warnings
i definitely think think that there is such thing as a technical g&w but most of it lies in just his movement game. Also just being unpredictable and spontaneous, reading techs, and being able to combo, since he definitely has the ability to combo. Not combo as efficiently as say falco/sheik / falcon, but he can combo fairly well.

also, any character can be technical (except for maybe zelda). even if you watch pro bowsers like DJ/gimpy you can see that they're technical although bowser has pretty much 0 combos. It's pretty much all in your movement.

I use a lot of fancy movement to get grabs in too, but that stuff is part of my overall style and the reason I can be good with any character.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
SIGH, i ALMOST did, hopefully it got recorded. First game i think we played on FoD and he 1 stocked me pretty clearly. So second game i cp'd brinstar. We were both at 1 stock, and i down-throw 9'd him at around 20-30%, but he DI'd it and lived...then he d-throw kneed me ): and i lost. so close though lol

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
awww, i wanna see the vids

Scar came down to florida once and i guess i had the opportunity to play him, but i wasnt really so confident with my GaW at that point...

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
Mr Game and Watch is really slidy when he lands his aerials, so edge cancelling isnt too terribly difficult.
You guys wanna have a chalenge to see how technical you can be?
Basically, just post a video like the one Prophet did, but of yourself...

(The GaW thread is kinda dead, so this may liven things up?)

EDIT:
here's mine, it is terrible

http://www.youtube.com/user/flaminaxe32#p/a/u/0/nY_-illpxp4

QERB

Banned via Warnings
haha that video was pretty sweet & entertaining, SO many sd's though lol. nice dual 9's in the first game heh. for some reason, whenever i DO get dual 9's, it's always on PS. Weird.

you should make this it's own thread maybe, but i don't think i'mma be able to get my capture card for a while /=

i never thought of doing a 1 person crew battle heh, looks mad fun

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
**** that was pretty cool, hahaha =D . I didn't know you could do that(Game and Watch) !

you should make this it's own thread maybe, but i don't think i'mma be able to get my capture card for a while /=

i never thought of doing a 1 person crew battle heh, looks mad fun
I'm on the same boat with you. My capture card is here and well. Its my computer that is as old as Mr.Game and Watch =/

One man crew battles would be tons of fun =D !!!

j00t

Smash Champion
So Doc vs G&W. I found that the whole d.throw -> bounce or stick is due to port priority. My question is does anybody happen to know why this is not true for other characters.

Doc just ****ing hates GnW. He's jealous that GnW can bucket his pills.

>;3

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
my apologies to the all the G&W fans out there but i havnt been able to do any G&W stuff lately becuase ive been hacking the wii and great fun like that but when im finished i would post some stuff up.

QERB

Banned via Warnings

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
So i got to record this weekend past weekend with a few buddies at rutgers, here's one of the vids, i'm uploading more later on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYx8V3_Gps

Nothing serious just some friendlies, expect mistakes. Last 2 games have some pretty cool stuff in it i think.
i was watching your combo video and i had to put it on my Mp3 Player. 5/5 d-throw 9's never seem to get old.there were clips where it just showed how G&W could punish opponents i really enjoyed it.i really want to do some recording now.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
i was watching your combo video and i had to put it on my Mp3 Player. 5/5 d-throw 9's never seem to get old.there were clips where it just showed how G&W could punish opponents i really enjoyed it.i really want to do some recording now.
Thanks a lot :chuckle:
I was really hoping it would spark some g&w action, along with phenom's video as well, which had some pretty beast stuff in it. G&W is definitely a character whose potential hasn't been reached yet. or gotten close to.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot :chuckle:
I was really hoping it would spark some g&w action, along with phenom's video as well, which had some pretty beast stuff in it. G&W is definitely a character whose potential hasn't been reached yet. or gotten close to.
well i wouldn't say potential,he lacks power(unless you 9-ing people like theres no tomorrow)but has tons of tricks and trick Treachery (lol) neutral B spiking(the best),sausage baiting,hammer to hammer combos,chain grabbing,crouching from grabs or being hit. since G&W is so light you can di with him pretty well...

ok i want to share a story with you guys...i was having a match with my Roomie(DONDONSF)Im playing G&W and hes playing Shiek.real intense real clutch. i nine him,it hits and everything but i was grabbed for it....second time which happen recently he was playing playing peach and the funny thing is i nined but he was so close that he was inside the nine...rage quit with 3 stocks on my shoulder and he was on his last stopped playing melee for the rest of the morning.(i rage quit out of sillyness not being angry)

anyone else have this happen? at all?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey how come when I up-throw G&W as roy below the platforms of ps he just lands on a platform even at like 135% or so he gets no knockback and he falls on the platform.

I think G&W was the last chartcer in the game to be made because throwing him is messed up, run is funny, lack of L-cancels and etc.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
G&W is the only character that can tech onto platforms as SOON as he is touching the platform. so he can also tech fox's upthrow and such before he even lands on the platform, it just requires good timing. the same thing happens when mario d-throws g&w. You can tech it as soon as you touch the ground, as opposed to other characters who have to bounce of the ground first, then tech.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think they just didn't finish making him but it seems useful other than for falco's down-throw lol it's fun to hold the C-stick down and chain throw the crap out of cpus

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
G&W is the only character that can tech onto platforms as SOON as he is touching the platform. so he can also tech fox's upthrow and such before he even lands on the platform, it just requires good timing. the same thing happens when mario d-throws g&w. You can tech it as soon as you touch the ground, as opposed to other characters who have to bounce of the ground first, then tech.
This is definitely on my list for practicing; thanks for bringing it up QERB.

edit: for bellow post, ****your right Insane Carzy Guy. How inconsiderate of me. Thanks Insane Carzy Guy =).

We don't have to thank G&W or Roy, they are our *******!
--------
@Can you combo with side-B like d-throw side-B to whatever: Yes you can. Its pending on the opponent's character; weight of the opponent's character and their % levels which affect the potential of comboing with a D-throw to Side-B.

If you can fallow it up further after the side B? I haven't tested it really. I bet we could though. We just have to get any hammer that has enough knockback or enough stun to try to follow it up really. It just won't be inescapable.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Or should you thank me for talking about it or should we thank G&W and roy? Or everyone but hitler the most fameous person ever. can you combo with side-B like d-throw side-B to whatever?

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Holy crap, I gotta practice this.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
In that video, GaW is always jumping out of the dair so that he doesn't land. If you were to land, would you have landing lag from the Dair, or would you just land as if you did an empty jump? I can see uses for this upon landing if no lag is present (e.g. jab, dtilt, among others).

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
In that video, GaW is always jumping out of the dair so that he doesn't land. If you were to land, would you have landing lag from the Dair, or would you just land as if you did an empty jump? I can see uses for this upon landing if no lag is present (e.g. jab, dtilt, among others).
When landing from a full hop Dair, there is no lag; that is, without fast falling.

I haven't found any good uses for it really.
-All I use it for is mindgamey purposes so far. I really would like it if we tried finding a way to make this more useful.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Just though I'd ask:

Why is Mr. Game and Watch so low on the tier list?!

He's got strong/fast aerials, a good juggling game, can chaingrab multiple characters, and has a great recovery. Seriously, is it just that not enough people use him, or what? I mean, sure he's light, but is hair is just beastin.'

j00t

Smash Champion
He gets ***** by Sheik/Fox/Falco (doesn't matter how badly you can combo the spacies, it sucks how easily you can get shinespiked)

he has a terrible shield
lightweight
gets comboed easily
etc. etc.

Top Bottom