• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Fox vs. Mario...?

Don't get grabbed and spam shine...

Evrything you have beats his. Just don't get caped. Fox vs. Sheik can be based soley on drillshines, uthrow uairs, and of course the UTILT.

Waveshining backwards: Jump before you angle the control stick and WD. Otherwise, you'll turn around in the shine, which is what is probably happening to you.

JAC_Jose

Smash Rookie
I have a question...do you have to do a perfect wavedash to waveshine from a standing posistion or from after a dair?? I could waveshine if I run towards an opponent but i cant do it from a standing position or after i do a dair..they always seem to go further after the shine and i cant reach them after i wavedash into another shine..

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
long wavedashes are preferable, but i dont think they have to be "perfect," since i'm sure you, nor the majority of the smash community knows what that term truly means.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
just walk a little in between shines to waveshine someone, perfect wavedashes aren't needed to waveshine if that was your question earlier?
That's the way I told you, and that's the way zelgadis does it.

But it's better if you can do a very long wavedash instead of walking a little, but waveshine-walking is fine to begin with (but not against link tho)

Watch DBR evolution-zelgadis(ignore the first part, just watch the gameplay) and check out how zelgadis does his waveshines, that should be enough.

GOTM

Smash Champion
you'll get better at wavedashing longer just with more play time at the game. just start walking a lil after you wavedash for waveshining in the beginning, and then just naturally you'll realize you wont have to as much anymore.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
How do I waveshine -> up smash immediately? Like before the opponent is pushed back all the way, making it inescapable. I'll edit with a clip of what I'm talking about shortly, looking now. Thanks in advance.
run>shine>jump(controlstick up)>up-smash (c-stick up)

// is better to press both sticks up at the same time. Not useful, just kinda flashy

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
Ah I see, so I need the momentum of the dash and I'll keep moving forwards? It's not just incredibly fast shine -> wavedash -> up smash? Thank you, by the way.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Ah I see, so I need the momentum of the dash and I'll keep moving forwards? It's not just incredibly fast shine -> wavedash -> up smash? Thank you, by the way.
If you're somehow refering to this combo: upthrow>waveshine>up-smash ; then yes, is fast and long as hell, but not too hard to do when you get used to it

Brookman

Smash Hero
How do I waveshine -> up smash immediately? Like before the opponent is pushed back all the way, making it inescapable. I'll edit with a clip of what I'm talking about shortly, looking now. Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Approximately 1:22 here.
That's not a wavshine. It's just a JC up smash out of shine. It works by using running momentum to move you forward after you shine.

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
I'm talking about waveshine -> upsmash, but in the video he does it in less than a second. Whenever I waveshine, I have to dash forward then upsmash. Basically, I can't move fast enough in the wavedash out of the shine in order to catch him with the upsmash before he moves out of my range (because of the shine).

EDIT: Ah, I see. Thank you both very much.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
When you're shl'ing, is the timing and rhythm slower when you're retreating with shl's? (Dash away --> rshl --> dash away --> rshl) Does it take longer to turn around or something?

Also, I notice that after I shl, if I hold down and roll it to sideways (instead of letting the control stick go back to neutral), I can immediately dash away (for rshl). Is this supposed to happen or something or am I seeing things.

tutata

Smash Ace
Hey silent wolf im not sure if this has been answered cuz this is the 100th page and i did not want to look at all the previous pages, but anyways here the question. OK so i need help with the running turn around laser, if thats the right name =_= "when fox is running and turns around and lasers. So then i went and tried to do it so then i found out that b4 you jump you press down right to turn around and laser. Anyways i have been looking at the vids and found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZDRzPKGWFQ
So at 1:17 zelgadis turns around and lasers and back airs roy and comes back. Also in eggz new vid at 1:35 he turns around and laser of 1 jump and edge hogs to for the kill. Can you guys give me some help on when to do the tequnique, and if noing it right be pressing down and back then laser to shoot around.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i'm not silent wolf, but i hope i can help.
It's called, in it's most general terms, a turn-around neutral b. For fox/ falco, it's usually reffered to as the rshl (reverse short hop laser - although the zelgadis clip is full hopped). You perform it by running (holding the control stick forward), jump, tap the control stick the opposite direction - making sure it returns to the neutral position, then pressing b, then fast falling. (variations on the FF timing make different hight lasers). It's typically used for retreating while shooting lasers, as a campy technique. It also gets used by some ppl (such as eggz) for a quick edgehog. Zelgadis' use for it is older, and generally performed w/ a shine turnaround now.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so scotu i can't combo jiggs till 27% out of upthrow to upair

when does it end on an upper cap? i heard that it only works at low-mid percents and then jiggs can jump out cause she is thrown too high.

is this true?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
does the front or the back of fox have a larger shine? or neither? just wondering if there is an advantage when shining at the ledge to facing backwards..or if you just do that so you can wavedash to the ledge afterwards easier.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
the shine extends slightly farther to fox's back, although, the difference isn't significant for stuff like shinespikeing illusions and what not.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you press b 1 frame before the frame you want to stop on. there are 5 lengths ranging from very short to full length. each distance is separated by 1 frame.

Kanibasami

Smash Rookie
i wonder why i cant waveshine with fox =S
without an enemy i can waveshine pretty well but if i try to waveshine Link it doesnt work.

i waveshine like this:
[down B --> slide my thumb over A to X --> perform a wavedash] repeat several times...

but now when i try this against an enemy i do the same at exactly the same speed i may think but at the point where i slide my thumb over A to X Fox just dont jump out of the shine.

can anybody help me? am i to fast or to slow or something else?

i wonder why i cant waveshine with fox =S
without an enemy i can waveshine pretty well but if i try to waveshine Link it doesnt work.

i waveshine like this:
[down B --> slide my thumb over A to X --> perform a wavedash] repeat several times...

but now when i try this against an enemy i do the same at exactly the same speed i may think but at the point where i slide my thumb over A to X Fox just dont jump out of the shine.

can anybody help me? am i to fast or to slow or something else?
Usually sliding is the fastest method, so you may be going too fast. Also, if you're going at the exact same speed you do as when you aren't waveshining a character, like you say you are, that also makes it sound like you're going too fast. When you hit someone with your shine, you have hit lag and can't jump out of it as fast as you normally would be able to, making the timing different. You will just have to get used to doing it slower I suppose.

IrArby

Smash Ace
If i properly drillshine a marth and follow it up with a well timed wavedash is there still enough lag time to JCupsmash him before his hit lag ends? Im pretty sure its possible with bad or no DI but I'm not sure if its even possible on a marth that DIs away. I haven't completly mastered waveshining or drillshining yet so practicing either on friends to experiment how they DI is impossible at the moment.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Practicing at Melee is actually rather difficulter and worse usually to try at different speeds. There is only one speed that you play at (1x). Practicing at a slower speed only means that, more or less, you'll be relearning it almost completely at a different speed. Because for something like a drillshine, there is a "too fast", and once you know the motions (jump, dair, lcancel, shine) at one speed, you don't know them at another. It's relatively easy to get the motions down, it's just the right timings you need. To do it at a slower speed (because you can dair too early), you're limiting yourself. On the other side, someone whose mastered it (consistently gets 6 hits on a drill kick), has mastered the timing, not the speed. If they tried it on a faster speed, they'll only be doing worse. There are not any manuevers that require raw speed as opposed to just learning the right timing.

Just practice doing drillshines at normal speed, so that you'll have the right timing for leaving the ground (you don't want to input the dair before you're in the air), and have the right timing for the lcancel.

Hint: an easy way to do an aerial asap is to use the z button (so your thumb doesn't have to move at all).

Top Bottom