• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

hondal22

Smash Rookie
On final destination when your on the edge. How do you wall jump an then recover with illusion ?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
drop down off the edge, jump toward the stage w/ your double jump, then hit away on the control stick (to wall jump), then illusion toward the stage.

controls might look like: away, toward, x, away, toward, b
more broken down away (let go of edge, down or back/ down on the c stick also work), toward (to jump toward the stage), x (to jump, y works fine, up is trickier in that everything is then done w/ the control stick), away (while against the wall to wall jump), then side-b toward the stage.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble shinespiking Sheik. I always hit the smoke. Well, my sister knows it's coming, so she does it earlier than she used to. It's especially annoying when I'm hanging on the ledge with invincibility frames, and I keep missing with it, thus wasting the invincibility frames. :ohwell:Any advice?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm having trouble shinespiking Sheik. I always hit the smoke. Well, my sister knows it's coming, so she does it earlier than she used to. It's especially annoying when I'm hanging on the ledge with invincibility frames, and I keep missing with it, thus wasting the invincibility frames. :ohwell:Any advice?
more or less: don't miss. don't worry about shine spikeing sheik if you're on the edge. She's gotta go to the stage, giving you plenty of time to do whatever you want to her.

whats the easiest method to jc shine? i wanna do like 10 every time i kill somebody lol
slide your thumb from y>b lift, and repeat.

noobmaster

Smash Apprentice
how do i fight a very talented falco????!!!!! i cant win the laser fight and when i go in to attack i get punished w/ a serious combo.... what to do what to do...... any startegies, advice, suggestions, concerns, responses, help will be greatly appreciated
lucky, 10 jc shines would be ****, i wanna learn too!!!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
CK's sticky'd fox guide has the basics of where to start. You can jump over the lasers w/ full hopped nairs. mix up your approach, and don't over-react to lasers.

Shök

Smash Champion
Wow Scotu. You are giving some pretty good advice man! Well how do you play Falcos and Marths?

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
In my experience, approaching a Falco with more full jumped aerials such as nair and bair works better then relying on shffled moves. When you shffl, the falco can easily adjust his shl to hit you, but full hopped aerials present more of a problem. Of course you need to mix up some shffls here and there, but do more full hopped aerials then you would normally do, it works. Once you get in, just get a grab and either chain grab or tech chase after that, you can do some major damage that way.

EDIT:
How important is it to fast fall after wavedashing off the edge to edgehog?
You don't ff. If you do, you don't grab onto the edge, but drop off instead.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
Well how do you play Falcos and Marths?
Against marth, approach with shffl'd nairs, because you can do a basic but heavy combo like nair > waveshine > walk.. > uthrow >uair > uair. Or you can do something like nair > usmash.

Uthrow a lot, and I guess it's sort of better if you don't hit A while grabbing him because you don't want him to di, so throw him up right when you grab him.

When he CG's you di slightly behind him so he can mess up a pivot grab, and I think you can shine out of his chain at around 30%, not sure though.

Camp like crazy vs a marth, shdl a lot.

For more, in-depth advice on vs marth I recommend you check this post out from ckit http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=597106&postcount=3

posted by GoldKirby
you can do some major damage that way.
You can also do major damage with the thunders.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Wow Scotu. You are giving some pretty good advice man! Well how do you play Falcos and Marths?
Falco is all about getting him off the stage, and keeping him there. Uthrow combos ****, but the ticket is in the edgeguarding. edgehoging and ledghopped bairs, with the occasional shinespike (when appropriate) should do the trick. Utilt him out of a phantasm if he goes above the edge, dsmash/ shinespike if he goes for the edge.
Make sure you fully abuse platforms. Falco's laser makes it difficult to approach on the same plane as him, so approach w/ full hopped nairs/ bairs or approach from platforms. Against falco it's a decent strategy to continually move from one platform height to another avoiding lasers. Use platforms as shields against his attacks, and retailate w/ double jumped bairs. If there are no platforms, then you're golden on uthrow comboing until you can get him off the stage.

Marth is a grab game. Fox wants grabs, Marth wants grabs. Don't get grabbed. Most marths will DD camp waiting for you to shffl a nair at them. you can force them to DD towards you by lasering a bit. Also, one of the best ways to beat a DD camp is run at them (while they're running away from you), and at the point where they'd have to turn around, dash attack.
Once you get a grab on marth, make full abuse of the uthrow>uair.
Edgeguarding is also a big issue. Marth has one of the best edgeguards against fox in the game, so be sure to vary your recovery a ton. Fox has a good edgeguarding game on marth as well though. Bair (ledgehopped) him if he comes from above the edge or if he tries to up-b to the stage, and shine spike him if he comes too close to the edge.
Nairs lead into grabs, utilts, more nairs, and usmashes. Try to avoid nairshining much, because marth can DI the nair up, and then hit you out of your waveshine. (it's much easier w/ peach -- she doesn't need the DI most of the time, so don't ever nairshine combo peach).

hope this helps.

How important is it to fast fall after wavedashing off the edge to edgehog?
Depends on how quickly you need to get on the edge. If you release down fast enough, you can FF to the edge and still grab it.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
THe light shield edgeguard beats marth all the time. If you're having trouble with that I had a method that never fails. Just roll towards the edge and quickly hold z+a then DI your shield towards the edge/marth (that way you don't have to worry about holding it slightly), also shining him out of your shield is good too.

ALL you do vs a Falco is surround hmi as much as possible. You don't need to go for grabs, and only do if you know for sure they will work. Nairs, Jabs, and shines. use those to not let him move. throw in whatever when necessary, and make sure you know it will hit. get used to smash DIing his aerials. Falco's bair and dair are really easy to smash DI, so get used to those. Get used to smash DIng the dair to get out of shine combos. Agressive Fox destroys Falco. Do that is what I'm saying. Don't shield lasers, just jump to avoid them.

Also, counter FD, Falco doesn't stand a chance there if you know what you're doing.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Offtopic: SW, who is that girl in your avatar? She looks kind of familiar, but I can't remember who she is, and it's starting to really bug me. And why is she holding a starfish?

EDIT: I have no idea why I called it a starfish, it just looks like a star. WTF is wrong with me.

Offtopic: SW, who is that girl in your avatar? She looks kind of familiar, but I can't remember who she is, and it's starting to really bug me. And why is she holding a starfish?

EDIT: I have no idea why I called it a starfish, it just looks like a star. WTF is wrong with me.
hahaha, good stuff =O
<3 Clannad

darkshy

Smash Ace
Hey all once in a while when I do a waveshine I mess up and do a shine> grab in the same spot. I was just wondering how is that done exactley? It seems like it can be a useful mindgame especially if your opponent expects you to JC shine twice or something.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
When I do thunder's combo, after the uair, I tend to go past the enemy. I do hit them, but it's just that now they're behind me. What can I do before they can retaliate?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
When I do thunder's combo, after the uair, I tend to go past the enemy. I do hit them, but it's just that now they're behind me. What can I do before they can retaliate?
Don't go past the enemy, hit him right on his face lol. That way you can conect with up-smash or a grab. But on low% if they DI the uair you wont be able to follow the thunder's unless it's with a tech chase/punish.

darkshy

Smash Ace
In stages like pokemon stadium I notice that players usually use the waveshine infinite on characters like peach and marth. How come very advanced players do not use the JC shine? Other then the fact that it looks flashy it would rack up damage faster right?

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
In stages like pokemon stadium I notice that players usually use the waveshine infinite on characters like peach and marth. How come very advanced players do not use the JC shine? Other then the fact that it looks flashy it would rack up damage faster right?
Well, JC shines really depend on how calm you are, how your hands are placed, ect ect..
theres just to many requirements to change during a real match, and Dair into shine into dair is much more easier in terms of doing it. ( plus it takes a really technical player to get over 10 :p )

SCOTU

Smash Hero
it's a consistency issue. Waveshine>drillshine>jc shine.
I'm reasonably consistent w/ the jc shine, and in friendlies, sometimes i'll use that. but even if i can decide to just do that, it'll still only end up being like 10.
Waveshines, ppl can do forever. not only that, but it's easier to lead outta that into a usmash. (for most ppl - i can easily end a jc shine into a wavehsine combo, but most ppl just end jc shines when they mess up).
drillshines are the worst because they're really easy to escape from.

Moral of story: even if you're good at multishining, you're better at waveshining.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Don't go past the enemy, hit him right on his face lol. That way you can conect with up-smash or a grab. But on low% if they DI the uair you wont be able to follow the thunder's unless it's with a tech chase/punish.
Which way do they have to DI to escape? Up? Forward? Behind?

drillshines are the worst because they're really easy to escape from.
How come drillshines are easy to escape from? Is it because it's easy to mess up or is it because of something else? DI maybe?

Also, I notice that when I practice waveshining someone at a wall, even thoughI waveshine straight down, I'll eventually start getting pushed away a little at a time, eventually not being able to hit them. Why does this happen? I practice this at Eagleside. Don't know if it helps or not.

Top Bottom