• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
when i talked to him on the nwr chat he said he was all marvel now, so I don't think he'll be back soon. still seems like he thinks about the game tho!

if anything ask him on FB lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i waveshined oos -.> grabbed someone last weekend.

i felt really powerful

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
waveshine oos is pretty ****ing technical
to be able to do it in game is pretty god like lol
everyone needs to shine oos more though cuz its so quick and deadly as fuq, thunders oos so hypee lololol

unknown522

Some guy
Guys, should I switch to Sheik/Fox to beat a great Peach? I felt terrible for playing my mediocre Sheik vs. Teddy but I feel like I don't know the matchup well enough with Marth.

In all likelihood I should just go Fox and watch SW matches.

edit:// LOL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxQadaTeYXE

I mean, if you're going to make a video, at least pronounce it right. Better: http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/nas/diakonos.html
dude, marth wrecks peach. Just remember that you have a huge sword and you'll be fine. But if you don't want to take a chance with her surviving for a long time, then pick sheik, since she can often throw/tilt -> move with ease, and set up edgeuards really easily.

Also yeah otto went in that set.

eternisedDragon

Smash Cadet
@SW: I know I´m a nobody, but to my mind these games lack of shinegrabs or shield-pressure to grab in general, especially in the ditto on FD the grab comes in handy.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
They were friendlies, so both players were doing pretty sub-optimal things. Notice the lack of chaingrab as well.

Sub-optimal play: It happens.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
prog and toph being there mightve just saved impulse.
looks like everyone got under a doorway like their supposed to.
the tournament was looking pretty free
but the way the whole community stayed alive during the natural disaster and the after shocks prooves we have an s tier recovery
#oneunit

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
word. #megabus

I did pretty good at impulse, scored some good wins in winners (leveled up in the Marth matchup, I think >_>) but got crushed when I finally got to play on stream. LOL Unknown you're too strong. I learned a lot from that set though, and I know what I need to work on going forward.

I also think my mentality is a lot stronger than it used to be which is probably the most important thing.

also, shoutouts to weon-x for being the super homie god teammate.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I know you can't uthrow>up air doc but has anyone tried uthrowing him to gain positional advantage? For example to gain a platform to space yourself against him. I've been doing this recently for space advantage.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
so vs any floaty can i just chill and shoot my double laser a couple times and then dashdance and wait for quick humble approaches
i feel like that wud be fun as hell to camp a puff and just enjoy the fresh air and ****, bairs are so good and going in and out is pretty chill

L__

Smash Master
I know you can't uthrow>up air doc but has anyone tried uthrowing him to gain positional advantage? For example to gain a platform to space yourself against him. I've been doing this recently for space advantage.
Up throwing people who can't get uthrow uair combo'd is pretty good for the positional advantage since Doc has ****ty range. It's decent if your spacing game is on point and you have the proficiency to outspace his panicked aerials or read whatever defensive option he chooses (air dodge, jump, poop down air, etc.) It's optimal if you can bait out a double jump and knick that so they get knocked away and since his recovery is abysmal it should be an easy kill if you know how to edgeguard him. I personally don't recommend throws if you're towards the center though. Or you could just play the matchup like SFAT and shine combo Doc until he cries.

so vs any floaty can i just chill and shoot my double laser a couple times and then dashdance and wait for quick humble approaches
i feel like that wud be fun as hell to camp a puff and just enjoy the fresh air and ****, bairs are so good and going in and out is pretty chill

Fox's laser game can be incredibly beneficial and simultaneously his worst asset. If you do it correctly, you get free damage as well as baiting easily punishable approaches. However, once you face players who are experienced with dealing with camping, lasering can quickly becomes a terrible option. For example, if you're playing against a Marth or a Peach and you decide to shoot your gun, it's not difficult to end up cornering yourself since you're running away from them. Understanding how your positioning as well as your opponents affects stage control is the key to camping. One misplay from your end can easily turn into a death combo or in the worst case scenario you get looked at wrong and Fox falls off and dies a fiery death.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
So recently I've been trying to get a decent pocket Fox for doubles. Already have a fair idea of my game plan but I'm lost when it comes to combos. Would really appreciate some pointers.

Waveshine turnaround utilt seems really good for setting people for a finisher. Same goes for dtilt.
Is the rest of Fox's combo game centered around his shine, nair, uair and uthrow? Generally speaking, what leads to what vs spacies and marth?

Kaeon

Smash Cadet
Dtilt might be pushing it in teams, it's pretty situational to begin with.

For those matchups, just do uthrow to a bair or uair, nothing crazy. Marth doesn't fall over after being shined, so you can waveshine>grab him. Just watch videos of top players, it's pretty easy to see what combos are guaranteed and stuff like that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
What do I do vs a Peach who stays grounded in the neutural game? I always get caught by dash attack.
You need to alter your movement so that you can comfortably keep a larger distance from her. My suspicion is that when you move you are not dipping into her dash attack's range and then leaving it, but rather your dash dance's focal point is somewhere inside her dash attack and therefore you're lingering in its range for longer than you think you are.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3TwOuKRk6Q&t=4m0s
At 4:00, why did Eggz shield drop bair? Is it faster than regularly dropping through platform then bairing?
No that was not the intention, these techniques are not for speed but for positions or baiting. Since Toph decided to jump on the platform with Nair and it whiffed, Eggz was in range to shield drop bair and was safe doing so because Toph was either still in landing lag or tried to run away but not in time to be out of range of that. A shield drop is to defend yourself while readying an attack. Perhaps it wasn't needed here but at the same time Eggz tightened his defense just in case an aerial did hit his shield. Also, it's always good to bait anyone above you and then immediately reverse the situation by shield dropping back down. You always have the advantage by having someone above.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Don't listen to Kage (no offense Kage... that ain't Rock Crock). Eggz shield dropped there because shield dropping is faster. The actual animation 2 frames faster (you are actionable frame 2 [frame 1 being shield] as opposed to frame 4 [1-3 being crouch]), but the main benefit is that you can buffer the input during your landing lag to make sure you're dropping through asap. If you input a regular drop-through a tad early, you end up just crouching on the plat like a douche, probably smash attacking because of a C-stick aerial input.

I hiiighly doubt eggz was focusing on a few nerdy frames when doing that shield drop. He just does them all the time, whether it be for keeping a consistent hold on them, or for mere swagging.

Edit: west

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Don't listen to Kage (no offense Kage... that ain't Rock Crock). Eggz shield dropped there because shield dropping is faster. The actual animation 2 frames faster (you are actionable frame 2 [frame 1 being shield] as opposed to frame 4 [1-3 being crouch]), but the main benefit is that you can buffer the input during your landing lag to make sure you're dropping through asap. If you input a regular drop-through a tad early, you end up just crouching on the plat like a douche, probably smash attacking because of a C-stick aerial input.

yeah eggz definitely wasn't thinking this

but thanks for the nerdy bull**** bones

edit: ROFL otto

and <3 kage

but yeah. eggz rolled to the side and for a second it seemed like I could've punished him there, so he was holding shield, but then he realized he could shield drop bair me so he did. Also tbh eggz habitually shield drops a lot of times for no particular reason, just because he can do them (to the point where some of the shield drops he does don't serve any particular purpose).

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
lol you can buffer shield drop, i think i kinda noticed that shiz wen you drop without seeing the shield come up
its definitely hella fast and it makes your spacy look hella chill.

yea md spacies like bones and dkuo, i def wanna play some seriouslies with you guys at this xanadu

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Hey all, I'm sure this is common knowledge, or at least they have a feel for it already, among the higher level players, but I'll still post it.

So I was wondering how crouch-canceling get-up attacks from spacies works and what you can do with it and more so the specific %'s, and I'm sure I won't be alone in this. Which means it was time for me to do some testing. I did everything by myself with 2 controllers, pause buttons etc. so it's not optimal with frames, but it gives a feel for what works and what doesn't.

First and foremost, there are 2 get-up attacks, the one where Falco is on his stomach and does the 2 kicks (he does this after missing an up-throw tech), and the one where he is on his back and does the punch and kick (he does this after you hit him with a shine). How is this important? Well, it matters a lot in what you can do to punish. The punch and kick is much easier to punish, because it hits in front of him first, and the double kick hits behind him first, which makes all the difference. Of course it depends on which side you're coming from, but I assumed you and Falco facing each other after he got up.

Falco's get-up attack can be crouch canceled until 90% exactly, this applies to both attacks. The most optimal punish I found was just running and grabbing after crouch cancel. This works against all get-ups at all percentages, so there's that for an easy punish. Then the next obvious one was Crouch Cancel Forward Smash. Now this gets tricky, because it only works on these percentages:
Crouch canceling the Punch-Kick: All the way up to 90%, except you get out of the range
Crouch canceling the Double-Kick: Roughly 50%

At 60-70 Falco can shield in time, and past 70 you won't even reach him. The reason for this is that you can't crouch cancel right inside of Falco with the Double-Kick, because then the kick behind him AND the one in front of him hit you, knocking you further back, so you have to space and lose a bit of room for the F-smash.

So far, these are the 2 options I've been able to succesfully cover. The other option I wanted to do was running U-smash, but I have a hard time getting Falco's shield up in time for the U-smash, so I can't confirm when it will hit guaranteed, but I can say you are always in range for it, and it also will work on the Punch-Kick up to 60%.

Always keep in mind that these punishes are on the 2nd hit of the Kick-Kick, if you are behind him and only crouch cancel the first hit of Kick-Kick, you can probably punish him with more than a running grab (although that is a good punish)

I'll update this post soon enough and get to Fox, since I wanna know if he is the same as Falco.

EDIT: Fox has the exact same percentages, except you get knocked over at 89% instead of 90%, go figure.

Moral of the story: When you are below 50%, you can freely crouch cancel spacies anywhere and punish them if they do the get-up attack and basically cover all their options.

Top Bottom