• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
_

any ideas on how to recover better?
edit: Learning to shorten the illusion proficiently is really strong too.
Mad strong

You can probably recover 100% of the time against most Marths just by learning how to shorten

The other thing is a lot of Marths don't edgeguard in the cheapest manner possible (i.e. doing onstage attacks instead of going off) so you can often fastfall and Firefox sweetspot -> tech instant illusion or tech walljump shorten / illusion through them

Obviously you have to adjust if they actually edgeguard correctly but some (most?) Marths seem to be pretty lazy about doing so ~_~ (also you have to be able to Firefox sweetspot mad good haha)

Another thing is if you see them crouching early you can illusion above their Dtilt if you think that's the move they'll use

Bones0

Smash Legend
I thought he was using it as possessive ("Westballz's" looks funny lol).

I use mid distance illusions all the time. It's not any more difficult than shortens from what I can tell.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
it's a lot more difficult than full shortens. the frame window for full shortens is pretty wide but I believe it's 1 frame for each respective length of mid-way shortens

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have been fiddling with the idea of changing my profile to:

House0
Smash Master

Lovage

Smash Hero
not sure about the specifics or when it truely combos or not, but as of today's status quo, if you're as quick as you can be, very few peaches will be sucessful in dodging your uair.

SDI is a bigger concern to me than peaches nairing/jumping out, but you can outplay them if you read which direction they're gonna SDI in, and lead your uair that way. a lot of times it's really obvious which direction people will SDI, and people rarely switch it up.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Which way do you SDI out of fox's upair (depending on where he's facing)?

Its always away from the second foot, right?

:phone:
They smash DI upthrows to avoid the 2nd foot yes, but it's easy to read for the most part.

If you upthrow and they don't DI, just watch for how they smash DI and they will almost always smash DI that way everytime.

If they DI left on the upthrow they will most likely smash DI to the right, and vice versa.

Bing

Smash Master
You could probably make jab connect because it hits surprisingly high. It's just... you wouldn't be able to do anything after it.

Bing, you remember how you were asking about jabbing Falcon a bunch of times during a waveshine chain instead of just doing a proper chain? This is pretty much the same question except rehashed for a different, similarly 'set' combo.

>__>

edit: Even shine would probably be better after 1st hit uair than jab because at least you can do something with a knockdown. Jab is like... susceptible to shield, SDI > jump (because this is probably mainly for vs other space animals), hold down > shine, etc.
Yeah I've been thinking about using shine its just for some reason I cant waveshine a person falling ontop of me. So like, if I u-throw, wait for them to fall and try to waveshine chase them, I get caught in shine and I dont know why, obviously a tech skill issue just its weird how its only in that situation.

Mind you this is all just incase I mess up the uair, I'd much rather hit the full uair as opposed to 1 hit uair combo drop.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Sitting here in the Twin Cities airport waiting on my flight to Toronto that's currently delayed almost 2 hours. This is greeze. I just wanna kick it with Otto KK and unknown T.T

:phone:

PK Webb

Smash Champion
going back into techskill practice. nair shine chains r hard again 4 some odd reason(dam u x button) and whats faster to grab ledge. run off shine turn around firefox or run off sweetspot forward b??

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Runoff illusion sweetspot is pretty slow isn't it
Shine turnaround firegrab is ok
Turnaround waveshine is decently fast
Wavedash -> fast PC hog is also decently fast and is probably the safest (can't airdodge off, can't get stagespiked)
The edgecancel shinehog is by far the fastest I believe, but it's also pretty hard to do
You can also turnaround laser edgecancel
Am I missing anything

PK Webb

Smash Champion
the illusion isnt that slow actually when sweetspotted since u grab almost immediately after the "ping" sound

voorhese

Smash Master
Switching falco SUCKERS!!!! lol...for real though. Going to take him serious for awhile. I feel like fox is so versatile that he can skip over some fundamentals and still do fine until a pretty solid level of play, while other characters cannot. Also I feel like that is a problem I have had, and I need to take my game slower as it is already. What better way to do so than to switch to a character who is similar in hand motions, slower by nature, and can't get away with as much? Especially because of another thing I have noticed (Which leads me to believe the original point). EVERY great falco I know of has a pocket fox, but not every great fox has a pocket falco...I am not saying the great foxes rely on fox being able to do **** other characters can't and don't NEED to do extra safe ****, that isn't what I mean, what I mean is that it is an odd coincidence to me that it does kind of seem that way...especially because the meta always changes, and the "best" does with it. I noticed today especially that m2k was using his lightshield a lot more than he usually does, and at different times. I have learned to use my lightshield in those ways for awhile now from ckit/little england. The point is this, m2k didn't use that, because I don't think he felt he needed too or something, now he does, and he was playing really well. That is an example I think of fox being able to just get away with more ****, but once he actually implemented it (m2k, not fox) he did better. The best part of this example was that he was doing it on sheik. I think I need a 2ndary to get a better handle on the game, and once I have it my fox will just improve on it's own (i don't need any more techskill). Also I like how all of falco's bad matchups are positive ones for fox. so having a pocket fox (especially after it used to be my main) would be awesome to have. And I think that learning the game from a different perspective will make my pocket fox then better than my current fox anyway.

tl:dr;

FALCO DA BESS *****ES!!!

Lovage

Smash Hero
just turning around and WD'ing back is also really fast (and easy)

fast illusion sweetspot is faster than waveshining off tho.

voorheese you ain't gonna do ****

PK Webb

Smash Champion
ok kool. i find waveshining off more difficult going to the right but easy peezy going left so i was gonna replace it with the illusion going right.

Top Bottom