• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

JPOBS

Smash Hero
everyone was a lot less good around pound 3. that was like 3 years ago.

tis why i don't really like watching old videos. nostalgia is nice, but the matches are usually mediocre and/or boring to me now

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
red falcos not only the ugliest, but coincidentally most of the red falcos are unorthodox and funky.

default falcos go for that south style

blue is like the balanced out falco style.

green straight knowledge! not the most agressive players but generally seem like the smart placement non crazy combo players.

thats just my experiences ofcourse.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
red falcos not only the ugliest, but coincidentally none of them have any idea what they're doing

default falcos play like bosses

blue is the color people pick when they don't feel like being the superior green

green is like the only other good color and what zhu forward and PP all picked before the first two got lame; PP learned and switched from blue to green though

thats just from the facts yo :)

:awesome:

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
errr, westballz. falcomist. There isn't many i guess. the ones im thinking of aren't really professional calibur, but they all fall under the same funky playstyle. wesballz is the only one that breaks that stereotype. he's super technical

4 Aces

Smash Ace
thunders->double jab

its wat i've been working on lately cuz its freaking baller. double jab resets ingeneral are baller.

any inherent weaknesses/strengths with double jab instead of single jab?
This sounds interesting. Will someone link me to a vid of this being done? I wanna see it in action.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Double jabbing ends in an AAA combo if you're not careful / try to grab right after.

Man I gotta work on my thunders.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Really? I tried to produce that behavior in training mode for a while after reading this and couldn't do it. On various speeds, etc.

Show me plz.
b-b-b-b-BUSTEDDDDD

edit: double jab thunders makes them move less so it's good to use near an edge if you think they might slide off

edit2: blue and red fox are my favorite colors, greens pretty cool and white is ****ing ugly

JPOBS

Smash Hero
red falcos not only the ugliest, but coincidentally none of them have any idea what they're doing

default falcos play like bosses

blue is the color people pick when they don't feel like being the superior green

green is like the only other good color and what zhu forward and PP all picked before the first two got lame; PP learned and switched from blue to green though

thats just from the facts yo :)

:awesome:
i lol'd cuz this is hella tru. i always pick blue when im in that sanbag/dgaf mood.
green/white when ish gets real.

Double jabbing ends in an AAA combo if you're not careful / try to grab right after.

its actually hella easy to not do the rapid jab. dat aint falcon

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Sleepyk, but hes awful at this game :)
lol

So is it a jab --> straight (er...the second jab before the kicks of death)?
Or is it a jab into the same jab (should I be jab canceling?)?

i lol'd cuz this is hella tru. i always pick blue when im in that sanbag/dgaf mood.
green/white when ish gets real.

its actually hella easy to not do the rapid jab. dat aint falcon
On this note, how do you do the gentleman? I can't seem to make him stop after the knee thrust.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
@Druggedfox: I CP pokemon vs marth and the guy was like "thanks for the cp" and I was sad. So I went brinstar puff.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
@Druggedfox: I CP pokemon vs marth and the guy was like "thanks for the cp" and I was sad. So I went brinstar puff.
Pokemon is a completely legitimate counterpick...

That doesn't make any sense. If you prefer tri-platform stages, and you want room to run from marth go to DL64. If you get annoyed by marth dash dancing and want to pressure him more, go to yoshi's story. If you just want a generally good fox stage, low ceilings etc, pokemon is usually a standard pick.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
??? I like to counterpick Pokemon Stadium for most of my match-ups, especially Marth. It's either that or Dreamland 64.

Edit: I was thinking under the same line of thought as DruggedFox. I typically don't like to play on Yoshi's Story in general because I prefer larger stages with lots of breathing room.

@DruggedFox: Any reason to CP Battlefield vs. Marth?

to gentleman:

hit A, start holding a direction, hit A two more times
Cool, thanks man. I'll try that.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Because you like tri-platform stages for whatever reason (you perform well vs the player, personal preference etc), you can't play on yoshis (already played on it?), you want it to be small, and you hate FoD...

Looool, I mean I think marth's worst stages in the matchups are yoshi's story and DL64.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i disagree with yoshis being a particularly good stage vs marth. Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i spend most of my time evading marth and luring him into disadvantaged situations. You can't even stand on the top platform on yoshis cause shfflc uair hits there. Its great when you get a hit though, cause marth can't get down, but its significantly more difficult to stay alive long enough to get your hits.

dreamland is obviously the best stage because the platforms suck for marth while giving you room to maneuver and space to escape.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i dont like yoshi's for fox v marth. i always go pokemon (or, i mean, rainbow if they'll let you). you get plenty of room to run away and early kills. DL64 is good if you're patient enough but the fact that it takes you longer to kill him means he gets that many more opportunities to **** you up. i don't like it, personally, but it's pretty solid just because marth gets little to no platform game and can't catch you.

@4 Aces yeah it's super easy. I don't play CF and I can gentleman better than some mains I've watched.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Yoshi's is indubitably my favorite stage for any match up

even though i have a little bit more trouble with Fox vs Marth on YS than I would on say FD, the huge techable walls and easy shine spikes make me happeh

E: and having the game help me with frame perfect ledgedashes

E2: And u-throw tech chase on the top platform

E3: Really the only thing you have to remember is to never ever be on a platform unless marth is tumbling through the air

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I know it's a silly counterpick but I prefer FD even if I can get chain grabbed to hell

mostly cuz no one i know knows how to chaingrab

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's is fine if you are good at pressuring Marth. If you never give him clean chances to control the stage and abuse the blast zones/platforms, it is really an amazing stage for Fox. FD however is pretty much you guys pitting your ground game against the other player, and proceeding to do broken ****. I don't even feel like FD is about match-ups anymore (just a vague thought, better players will get what I mean). For the most part, the battle on FD against everyone with Fox is just an exercise in who is better at getting and using grabs.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
idk why you'd give Marth FD since it's much easier to trap Fox on that level and he has the chain grab. Platforms are generally good for Fox in the MU.

I guess it matters less vs bad people though.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i will CP all non-spacies/falcon to Rainbow Cruise.

you guys don't understand how good that stage is. It forces characters that prefer to be grounded (sheik and marth especially) into the air where they mostly have garbage manuverablity. it takes away the strongest parts of most chars anti-fox (namely, chaingrabs, DD baits, crouch cancel) while enhancing the strongest part of fox's (laser damage, choosing where i want to fight)

at worst, they switch to their pocket fox/falco. im confident i can beat anyones pocket main unless that person is significantly better than me.

RC all day.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I know that light shield and wavedash backwards drop> bair is edge guards against Marth.

Are their any others?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
i disagree with yoshis being a particularly good stage vs marth. Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i spend most of my time evading marth and luring him into disadvantaged situations. You can't even stand on the top platform on yoshis cause shfflc uair hits there. Its great when you get a hit though, cause marth can't get down, but its significantly more difficult to stay alive long enough to get your hits.

dreamland is obviously the best stage because the platforms suck for marth while giving you room to maneuver and space to escape.
It sounds like you're trying to fight marth on yoshi's story as if you're fighting marth on DL or something; at least thats my take on it. The thing about yoshis is, marth doesn't have room to maneuver which is key in this matchup. As KK said, FD is so good for marth because he can trap fox, and marth still has the room he needs. On BF, for example, he still has the room to maneuver; on yoshi's story, on the other hand, fox can ride his *** the whole match without him having room to really play his dash dancing games as strongly.

makoforce

Smash Ace
If you can WD back F-tilt you can WD back grab, which combos into 0-death CG

So it optimizes another point simultaneously

SYNERGY BIATCH

edit: You didn't list some of Fox's most important strengths so I can't take your post seriously.
well i dont main fox can you tell me his biggest strenghts

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I know that light shield and wavedash backwards drop> bair is edge guards against Marth.

Are their any others?
I'm not too familiar with what you're talking about. Why specifically lightshield?

Well, there IS this one thing where you roll towards the edge then pull up the lightest light shield you can (I personally like to buffer and hold Z during the roll), and tilt it away from the stage (so, the shield is aimed more towards the opponent).

What this does is that if Marth decides to recover low, then it'll instantly knock you right off and you'll immediately grab the ledge, leading into a REALLY gay edge guard. The reason why this works is because when Marth upb's, his sword pokes through the stage and hits Fox's shield on the part that's faced toward/inside the stage, which pushes you off the stage. I believe you can use this tactic with Falco as well because he is a fastfaller too.

If they try to recover high, then jump out of shield --> bair/aerial.

I know that this works on FD, but Idk if this works on other stages. Can someone confirm?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Dude, I don't know about you, but I don't think I am very good...and I'll usually **** up a fox with 1 grab on FD...its not too hard haha.
Not to be insulting, but as you go up in level of play fox/falco players have more and more tricks for making chaingrabbing harder. It's entirely possible that you do indeed chaingrab perfectly, but tournament pressure+little things fox can do to make it harder make consistently getting a "full" chaingrab without mistakes on fox rather difficult.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Ofcourse, I understand that...and I don't 0-death fox's every time...I mean...I wish I could hahaha, but it is way too risky to go to FD in comparison to yoshi's.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
@Druggedfox I lost on pokemon because the marth would toss me onto the platform and then utilt. His grab game was similar to fd. He also banned dl which was my my stage of choice but yeah corneria is legal cp at this tourney so I going to definitely do that next time otherwise rc would definitley be fine or yoshi's I wouldn't mind either.

I have no idea how to edgegaurd marth other than get up upsmash and edgehog. Advice?

Um. Another random question, when is it better to illusion vs legdedash. I obviously wouldn't illusion if they were far away but I always do if they are close.

Top Bottom